Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• Hotaru0124_071fd6e4c1 said:

y allow Iray to use system RAM. 

That may be something that Nvidia has to do 

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

Hotaru0124_071fd6e4c1 said:

I already can't use more than a couple G8's in my scenes unless they are extremely bare bones; not even going to consider G9 until they allow Iray to use system RAM. 

If it's about the poly count, keep in mind that separate eyes and mouth help a bit with that. Previously, if you rendered at higher subdiv levels, the eyes and especially the mouth would get subdivided too and add a lot of useless polygons. This is no longer the case, you can now subdivide a character and just the skin parts (plus nails I guess) will get subdivided while eyes and mouth remain low poly.

Also don't forget, with a higher poly base mesh it doesn't automatically mean that an HD character will have more polys. You could in theory now simply sculpt on a lower subdiv level for the same detail. So the end result might not even have more polys at all. Say if a PA previously had to sculpt on sd level 4, because the base is about twice as dense now they could achieve the same level of detail at sd level 2.

Obviously we might instead just make use of the additional detail. But you can always set at what sd level you wanna render at so... I don't know why it would be an issue. You had a couple of G8 characters rendering at sd2, just set the same number of G9 ones to sd1. Problem solved. Due to separate eyes and mouth you probably then have LESS overall polygons.

If it's about 8k textures, downscale them to 4k if need be.  One 8k is like 4x 4k maps, so that is a lot but then again comparing this to some environments, is it really so bad?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

bluejaunte said:

I already can't use more than a couple G8's in my scenes unless they are extremely bare bones; not even going to consider G9 until they allow Iray to use system RAM. 

If it's about the poly count, keep in mind that separate eyes and mouth help a bit with that. Previously, if you rendered at higher subdiv levels, the eyes and especially the mouth would get subdivided too and add a lot of useless polygons. This is no longer the case, you can now subdivide a character and just the skin parts (plus nails I guess) will get subdivided while eyes and mouth remain low poly.

Also don't forget, with a higher poly base mesh it doesn't automatically mean that an HD character will have more polys. You could in theory now simply sculpt on a lower subdiv level for the same detail. So the end result might not even have more polys at all. Say if a PA previously had to sculpt on sd level 4, because the base is about twice as dense now they could achieve the same level of detail at sd level 2.

Obviously we might instead just make use of the additional detail. But you can always set at what sd level you wanna render at so... I don't know why it would be an issue. You had a couple of G8 characters rendering at sd2, just set the same number of G9 ones to sd1. Problem solved. Due to separate eyes and mouth you probably then have LESS overall polygons.

If it's about 8k textures, downscale them to 4k if need be.  One 8k is like 4x 4k maps, so that is a lot but then again comparing this to some environments, is it really so bad?

That was my thoughts on this...well said.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Can we get heterochomia without using prop eyes?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

rrward said:

I asked during the stream. but didn't get an answer :(

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

rrward said:

Sure, it's just a texture with 2 eyes as always.
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,431

I am super excited about this.  I loved the original Genesis figure, and being able to use clothing, hair and accessories across genders.  And this will make creating "families" of characters SO much easier!  Now you can buy one character, and make twins out of it!  Or create a father character, duplicate, and morph it into a daughter character, with similar features.  And looking ahead, can you imagine the celebrity likenesses that content creators will be able to achieve with such a detailed mesh?  And creature makers like RawArt and Oso can have a field day making various creatures, that we can make whatever gender we want!  I'm so happy this wasn't about NFTs,  like I thought it would be!

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2022

IceCrMn said:

rrward said:

I asked during the stream. but didn't get an answer :(

Do you mean like using G8 currently? If so, yes - there are sets with that in the store currently: https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?mature=true&q=heterochomia

If the question was more about the prop eyes, there are multiple benefits beyond that but more information will be coming over time smiley

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Fae3D said:

I am super excited about this.  I loved the original Genesis figure, and being able to use clothing, hair and accessories across genders.  And this will make creating "families" of characters SO much easier!  Now you can buy one character, and make twins out of it!  Or create a father character, duplicate, and morph it into a daughter character, with similar features.  And looking ahead, can you imagine the celebrity likenesses that content creators will be able to achieve with such a detailed mesh?  And creature makers like RawArt and Oso can have a field day making various creatures, that we can make whatever gender we want!

Yeah I'm really excited on that level as well. The detail level was gorgeous (and that was through live stream where some detail will be lost) so it will look even better and things like creating families of people etc should be really easily done smiley As for monsters and creatures 100% with you. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with smiley 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited September 2022

Sorry I don't make it to the forums right now. Busy little drummer boy!

After joining in the special presentation, I just have to come in and add some thoughts:

Not another new Version to buy for....!!!

Yeah, I can get that. In fact, I was on the same page, hoping for other news.

However, Daz 3d has truly knocked it out of the park with this one! 

There has been/is a great run on the Genesis 8/8.1 lineup which, it appears to me to have been an amazing launchpad for this new generation in many ways, while also being so excellent as to still give many folks a massive assortment should they they opt out of a new era. It usually takes a bit for new generations to grow their wings anyway, so in the meanwhile we have some really great people to work with.

This next level of Genesis generation is also not meant for the lowly computer - something that Genesis 1 still really does well with. Daz 3d loves to make great people. In order to do that, they'll need us to up our game in the computer department. Most Daz artists I know of won't have an issue. But with 8K maps and a higher resolution base, Genesis 9 reaches a level of realism that's hard to ignore. So to start us off, the free Genesis 9 Unisex figure was very intelligently designed to be unisex. You'll see what I mean. In base resolution, we can see the elegance of a SubD cage with an interesting base shape that looks perfect for lending into either male or female or some sort of animal or creature. This is exciting to me!

We'll also be getting four skin tone material presets for male and female humans: Caucasian, Oriental, South African and Hispanic along with the usual, decent variety of starter morphs and such - including some basic emotion sliders and even one for asymmetry!

They've also made eyes and mouth separate figures that conform to the base, like eyelashes and tears of 8.1. This means less distortion of those elements through shaping morphs, etc., which also means that products like Riversoft Art's Character Convertors will likely be able to be a lot more successful of 'less-than-normal' shapes. But it also means that character artists will have an easier time with making their products. HD teeth details anyone? 

It's amazing what can be done with HD morph technology. I'm guessing that HD is how we'll get details like nipples and such, since they don't seem to be present on the base mesh, and I can't see them opting for Normal Maps because that would be a poke-through disaster! Simulations wouldn't see them!

Seeing this Unisex 'unimesh' cage immediately got me excited about the future of this generation - with this much change (according to what might have been holding them back from the more real looking figure) artists will have a cleaner slate that doesn't include the mesh for the eyes, lashes, tears or mouth (unless they need to), they'll likely feel more free to make a wider variety and get even better results.

When Jay did his comparisons between Genesis 8.1 and 9 expression dials, it was night and day! Genesis 8.1 looked great, but not 'real'. Genesis 9 sure looked real to me. Well, to be more specific, it was the incredible new Victoria 9 in the comparison against Victoria 8.1. All Victoria's are great, but 9 is truly stunning!

I'm still using Genesis 3 because it works better for me on my aging new system. I've also made a Genesis 8 version of Rosie, who is meant to be used for closer shots, but Rosie 7 kinda rocks the closeup as well. But nothing like Victoria 9! Yikes!

The rigging is entirely different now. There are spine bones. Jay mentioned that this is the modern universal bone naming structure and, if that's the case, I'd want them to go that route too - even though it'll mean more converting for me... but for a figure this special, I wouldn't mind.

There will be a lot of controversy about all of this, I know. But from someone who knows that he cannot yet jump to this newer version just yet, it was (hands down!) the right direction to go for a new figure. Just try to keep in mind that, while we might wait for someone to make x for this figure, Daz Studio has a plethora of Solid Tools to help us make some of our own improvements the way we like them as we wait. I'm doing a Lot of that to my Genesis 3 and 8 figures which is really cool! Now I have the experience I need to make these tools even Better for a whole new figure - this time I only have to make them once! :)

Cheer, my Daz 3d family! I miss you all and hope you're all doing well!

DarTANbeck

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Robert Freise said:

y allow Iray to use system RAM. 

That may be something that Nvidia has to do 

Probably. But I can't afford a better card, so a model that's going to be an even heavier drain is useless to me.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

bytescapes said:

daveso said:

Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?

During the presentation, Jay Versluis described his system -- 48GB RAM, dual Xeon processors, a 3090 and a 2080, which is a pretty beefy machine -- and he also kept saying that he didn't want to do certain things (I think it was turning on SubD for View) or his system would become very slow.

He also said that he thought that if you had 8GB of VRAM, "you'd be OK". And that he'd try to find out whether V9 would render on a 4GB VRAM card, or if you'd need to scale down her textures with an optimizer.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if V9 is going to be resource hungry. We know that she has 8K textures and double the polygon count of previous generations. So I think it's safe to assume that she will want all the resources you can throw at her. If you struggle with G8 figures now, you can probably expect to feel some pain.

The reason his system would get slow has nothing to do with his GPU. Remember Daz is single threaded, so using a workstation CPU is actually a detriment to the in app performance. Workstation CPUs pack tons of cores, but each individual core is a lot slower than a good consumer desktop CPU. So because Daz Studio is still siingle threaded, he is only using one single core with Daz Studio. I have a 5800X, and I can keep 6 or 8 Genesis 8 charactrs at subdivision 2 or 3  in my viewport without any issues at all. A single HD character in an empty scene like he had would not even make my 5800X's one core that Daz uses sweat. LOL.

The texture resolution of any character is up to the PA who makes them. Victoria 9 has 8K textures, that does not mean every single Genesis 9 character will. And Jay was incorrect that no Genesis has ever had so much detail before. Several characters in the past have used 8K textures. Bluejaunte characters have had 8K spec maps for a long time. George 8 had 8K torso textures. I have made 8K textures myself to a degree. At any rate, while Victoria 9 has 8K textures others may not. That said it is likely that Vicktoria 9 probably sets the standard for other Daz Original 9 Core characters that follow.

Texture data is controlled by Iray's compression settings. So you can limit the data by changing the settings. And you can always downscale textures if you really need to. Textures are by far the easiest thing to deal with. I personally very much prefer having 8K textures, because it is easier to downscale than upscale. I like this move a lot. We have a product that automates downscaling textures for you, too. So this part is a non issue.

The next thing is mesh data. Now this is in question. Until we can see the actual poly counts of the models next to each other it is hard to say how well this translates in practical use. But we can't compress mesh data like textures. The only option I am aware of is Decimate, and I am not sure it even works anymore. In general, I like that we get a better base mesh. But at the same time, why we needed a better base mesh is because Daz refuses to allow its customers to edit a HD mesh.

This brings up a totally different question. In the video Jay said that the new body morphs already have HD included. This is great...maybe. Since the user cannot sculpt with HD, if the user sees something they don't like on a body morph, can they sculpt that out??? Just as an example, what about a big vein on a guy. The vein doesn't show on the base much, if any, but does at HD level. Can the user remove this vein by sculpting, or will the HD part of the morph still retain some form of that vein? The same goes for creases and wrinkles, like aging. Or that crease on the bottom of a glute. I remember this being an issue with Tara 8 and her face scar, which could not be fully removed by sculpting the mesh. Daz eventually updated the character, but that was an outlier. Most characters don't get updated that way.

So while the changes look nice on paper, anti consumer practices may get in the way. If we the consumer could edit HD mesh we wouldn't need these 2 changes to begin with.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235

Same here.

For my day job, I get paid to 'think outside the box'.

I brought this into Daz Studio and render everyone separate from the background. I render the background all by itself (often in Carrara) and create the motion elements separately (often in Carrara) and then also some varios foreground elements - all in the same lighting. When I render the actors' animations, I do those individually as well. Stitch the whole thing together in HitFilm or DaVinci Resolve (or After Effects, etc.,)

Renders nice and quick when I keep within the GRAM confines of my RTX

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    What I want to know is when does the pre-order period for Victoria 9 HD end, because I don't know if I should get her soon or wait a bit. (Not buying the bundle until I know what else is in it.) I tried to look but haven't found anything.
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

outrider42 said:

bytescapes said:

daveso said:

Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?

During the presentation, Jay Versluis described his system -- 48GB RAM, dual Xeon processors, a 3090 and a 2080, which is a pretty beefy machine -- and he also kept saying that he didn't want to do certain things (I think it was turning on SubD for View) or his system would become very slow.

He also said that he thought that if you had 8GB of VRAM, "you'd be OK". And that he'd try to find out whether V9 would render on a 4GB VRAM card, or if you'd need to scale down her textures with an optimizer.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if V9 is going to be resource hungry. We know that she has 8K textures and double the polygon count of previous generations. So I think it's safe to assume that she will want all the resources you can throw at her. If you struggle with G8 figures now, you can probably expect to feel some pain.

The reason his system would get slow has nothing to do with his GPU. Remember Daz is single threaded, so using a workstation CPU is actually a detriment to the in app performance. Workstation CPUs pack tons of cores, but each individual core is a lot slower than a good consumer desktop CPU. So because Daz Studio is still siingle threaded, he is only using one single core with Daz Studio. I have a 5800X, and I can keep 6 or 8 Genesis 8 charactrs at subdivision 2 or 3  in my viewport without any issues at all. A single HD character in an empty scene like he had would not even make my 5800X's one core that Daz uses sweat. LOL.

The texture resolution of any character is up to the PA who makes them. Victoria 9 has 8K textures, that does not mean every single Genesis 9 character will. And Jay was incorrect that no Genesis has ever had so much detail before. Several characters in the past have used 8K textures. Bluejaunte characters have had 8K spec maps for a long time. George 8 had 8K torso textures. I have made 8K textures myself to a degree. At any rate, while Victoria 9 has 8K textures others may not. That said it is likely that Vicktoria 9 probably sets the standard for other Daz Original 9 Core characters that follow.

Texture data is controlled by Iray's compression settings. So you can limit the data by changing the settings. And you can always downscale textures if you really need to. Textures are by far the easiest thing to deal with. I personally very much prefer having 8K textures, because it is easier to downscale than upscale. I like this move a lot. We have a product that automates downscaling textures for you, too. So this part is a non issue.

The next thing is mesh data. Now this is in question. Until we can see the actual poly counts of the models next to each other it is hard to say how well this translates in practical use. But we can't compress mesh data like textures. The only option I am aware of is Decimate, and I am not sure it even works anymore. In general, I like that we get a better base mesh. But at the same time, why we needed a better base mesh is because Daz refuses to allow its customers to edit a HD mesh.

This brings up a totally different question. In the video Jay said that the new body morphs already have HD included. This is great...maybe. Since the user cannot sculpt with HD, if the user sees something they don't like on a body morph, can they sculpt that out??? Just as an example, what about a big vein on a guy. The vein doesn't show on the base much, if any, but does at HD level. Can the user remove this vein by sculpting, or will the HD part of the morph still retain some form of that vein? The same goes for creases and wrinkles, like aging. Or that crease on the bottom of a glute. I remember this being an issue with Tara 8 and her face scar, which could not be fully removed by sculpting the mesh. Daz eventually updated the character, but that was an outlier. Most characters don't get updated that way.

So while the changes look nice on paper, anti consumer practices may get in the way. If we the consumer could edit HD mesh we wouldn't need these 2 changes to begin with.

Well said...lots to think about.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Pendraia said:

Mostly Harmless said:

First of all, I am pretty sure all this is coming with DS5, but I would love to know more about the base Gen 9 figure and compatibility with past figures, clothes, hair and morphs.  It is a little worrying that one of the freebies offered is Voss Hair, which is a re-release or update.  That kind of implies that it will be a little tricky to update old content for the new figure.

I just fitted the freebie to genesis 8 without too many issues. A quick trip to zbrush and it was fine. I'm fairly sure they said their would be a clone for genesis 8 clothing. Shoes might be an issue.

Generally within months of release products are released which will fix this for figures you don't get a clone for. I imagine someone will release a clone for genesis 3 and possibly 2 eventually.

I sure hope so for Genesis 2. Genesis 2 had some of the best clothing of the entire line ;)

• The unified figure mesh was the one thing at the top of my wishlist and it's an immediate buy-in for me. I already knew I'd be reworking my figures if I needed to if it ever happened, and my main worry is whether it's feasible to try to manually recreate some of my character shapes with digitigrade legs for G9 or if it's outside of my skill level (I haven't seen a direct answer on whether morphs are expected to be convertable at all, but if they were I would have expected it to be mentioned up front as a selling point so I assume they're not). It does look like it's potentially going to be much easier to make custom content and modifications and to use the figure in other programs, which is exciting.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

What version of Daz Studio will work with Genesis 9?

Live stream video was using "Daz Studio 4.20 Pro Publishing Build", but I'm just wondering if we will be forced to upgrade to DS 4.21 in mid-October?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250

Are G8 morphs transferable? I assume not.

Fact that we wont have any of the HD enhancents that PA's like Zev0 and D.Master made to Genesis 8 makes me think it will be years before you can achieve the level of realism with G9 that you can with G8 currently.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

Some people may not want 8k textures, so I hope there is a tool or script to down-convert 8K to 4K.

Two main reasons why I deleted 8k and 16k HDR textures, is one, to save hard drive space (any file over 100MB is scrutinized and deleted), and two, it will most likely crash my graphics card due to its larger size.

• What about proportionate UV maps? In current and past versions, the UV for the head is the same size as the torso UV, and the arms and legs are also disproportionately out of whack. Would certainly make texturing characters easier if they changed this, and would also virtually eliminate any remaining problems with seams.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Seven193 said:

Some people may not want 8k textures, so I hope there is a tool or script to down-convert 8K to 4K.

Two main reasons why I deleted 8k and 16k HDR textures, is one, to save hard drive space (any file over 100MB is scrutinized and deleted), and two, it will most likely crash my graphics card due to its larger size.

You can do it in IrfanView, which is a free software.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Ok, I'll gonna be that guy. Since the store already has mature filters, will Daz post nude renders of  the Genesis  9 figures? Buying figures and getting unwanted body hair, tan lines, mismatched torso and genital txtures, etc. is extremely annoying.

• Just my plugged wooden nickel's worth of commentary ...

There really isn't anything in G9 that appeals to me. However, I said the same thing about both G3 and G8, and within a year of each release, I had changed my mind. To review the major selling points (at the moment) ...

High Poly Count: This is a boon to portrait artists. However, I mostly make action scenes, meaning full body and multiple characters. At that distance, any advantage of high poly count will be lost. I'd rather spend the resources on a detailed set.

8K Textures: The same for these that I said about polies. However, I can shrink them to 4K, which is no big deal considering I never use skin maps right out of the box. They're raw materials.

Asymmetrical Morphs: If these are morphs that can be used or not, depending on the desire of the artist, fine. I don't have to use them. But I have an asymmetrical face and would never curse one of my characters with what I see in the mirror every day.

Unisex Mesh: This alone could prevent me from using G9. It was the reason I never used G1. The unisex mesh meant the men didn't look masculine and the women didn't look feminine. Unisex mesh was androgynous. I work in genre art, and stylized looks are expected. However, G9 is not G1. I will say Victoria 9 looks a heck of a lot better than the "ridden hard and put up wet" V8. That's promising.

Ultimately, it's too early for me to say yes or no. I'd be stupid to repeat my flat-out "NOPE" of G3 and G8, considering man was I wrong about both. I'll have to wait and get my hands on a G9 base and see what she can do.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited September 2022

The unified sex is actually pretty simple if you look at what they did. The base Genesis 9 is neither male or female. It is halfway between. So the shift to full female or full male is not as jarring as it was from the original Genesis 1 shape, since either way the PA goes for clothing they are halfway there!

Kind of brilliant to be honest.

See, I am not always a negative Nancy! I call it how I see it.

As for textures guys, Scene Optimizer has been around since 2017. 

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

It can automate the whole thing for you. Aside from that, I used to the Power Toys add on for Windows that can resize textures wholesale in a flash. You can save them as new files or overwrite the originals. Just overwrite the originals and boom, it is done. The tool was so fast that I could do entire folders with dozens of textures in seconds. And this was when I had a 4690k, not anything special. How easy is it to use? How does right clicking sound? The Power Toy menu is added to your right click. That's it. You can highlight a few textures or highlight them all, and right click. Select the size and quality. It really is a fun tool! It has other fun tools as well, which you can pick to use or not, like "Always on Top" and "Text Extractor".

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/image-resizer

Just look at how easy and fast this is.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • edited September 2022
    That V9 looked super in detail. The pores in the skin and wrinkles etc. Great for more realism in close-up shots. I suppose there will eventually be peachfuzz and translucent skin. I can definitly see this as something for new customers with the latest souped up computers to start purchasing into. DS 4.21 and DS5 when it comes out being a totally new beast of a system will render new hyper realism. Again, suped up system to handle things such a splothcy blotchy texture showing up. Nothing new there as had that problem in the older versions if resources were low. So this will be excellent for the new generations as long as cutting edge computers are on hand to handle this new exciting version. It will then be a balancing act to see where it can break its back load. I will have to stick with the older system and G8 or older versions. Not a bad thing. Good to see where my cut off point is. Version 9 and DS5 should be free to take off without concern for me / my type in order to reach new heights in creativity and new consumers.
    Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • arks0ngarks0ng Posts: 268

I got up in the early morning to watch the presentation and it was pretty cool, I like the new features a lot. To me the most exciting part is the unified mesh—I pretty much use the trans shapes product in every character because I adore the androgenous look, so having now that as it's own slider is incredibly exciting. And, like, no more buying male and female versions of the same product???? wooooo baby. 

That said, I ended up turning off the chat because it was like these forums on Gfuel. Every time Jay said anything there'd be about ten people posting "My jaw isn't dropping", "why should I care", "doesn't seem very next gen". And when he referred to the base character as "they" (being a sexless, non-gender-conforming base character) the amount of people angrily posting about that was wild. 

So yeah, great presentation, very exciting. I might buy when we get a list of what's actually in the bundle. But avoid the chat. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,716

With G9 base's pectoral under-cleavage, I wonder how difficult it will be to make sparrow-chested males like Jazz 8.1.

• Jazz 8.1 HD Add-On by: , 3D Models by Daz 3D
  • Thrilled about the more realistc body proportions and the less stylistic look. More spine bones now, which is exactly, what I wished for.
    All I really need now, is a character converter from G8 to G9.

• NathNath Posts: 2,721

Since it hasn't been asked yet, how will genitalia be *ahem* handled in Gen 9? Included with bases, in bundles, ....?