Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited September 2022

no nose said:

Panzer Emerald said:

I don't have the stones to go through things to find an answer, but did the livestream talk about or show if poses from G8/8.1 are useable with G9 out of the box (and vice versa), or is that another nickle 'n dime 'em thing where a PA has to come up with a pose converter for it to happen?

From what I saw they do partially work, but will need some tweaking. And yeah apparantly there is already a product on the way to "fix" it

Not correct. They don't even partially work, not without that converter of ManFriday's that Jay was using.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

Philippi_Child said:

Great figure but not for me. If it means getting some super machine to use it then this isn't a hobby anymore.

Why do you think it will need a super machine? The emsh resolution was said to have doubled - I'm not sure if that is literal or approximate but it should be no mor than one division level, so just knock the Viewport divsiions down to 0 and render to 2 or three instead of three or four. Map size should be avoidable, the Viewport uses reduced resolutioin by default and Iray can compress even if you don't want to use the likes of Scene Optimiser.

I don't think the mesh resolution is the main issue. It si more the 8k textures. Most of today's Genesis 8.x items (figures and clothing) comes with 4k textures. If you have a scene with 4k textures, plus 10 G8.1 figures with compatible clothing, the scene already is a sure candidate for Scene Optimizer, as it WILL fall back to CPU render even on an RTX 3090. Been there, seen that. 

If you double the texture resolution, the size multiplies by four (on average, JPG or other image compression may reduce that), so using G9 instead of G8.1 will definitely have an impact on the amount of fugures in the scene

•  

Jay Versluis described the machine that he was using (48GB RAM, dual Xeon CPUs, 3090 and 2080 graphics cards), which sounds like a fairly super machine to me. Then he added that he wasn't turning on View SubD because it would make everything too slow. On the plus side, G9 did seem to render quite briskly (it would be disappointing if it didn't with a 3090 under the hood).

Dual processors are nice to have but if the program doesn't support multiple processors they don't help 

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Richard Haseltine said:

alexhcowley said:

Like many others, I'm not spending almost $80 on something without knowing what I'm buying. 

The four ethnic groups feature looks interesting to me since I would like to combine the Hispanic facial features with a Black African skin tone. I wonder if this will be possible?

Cheers,

Alex. 

My understanding was that those were part of Genesis 9, not Victoria 9, and so would be free if they were  in Starter Essentials (though it did look as if Jay also had the, presumably non-free, morph packs so we can't take that as read)

That was my thoughts also. I'm not spending yet on Vicki as I want the base morphs before I worry about buying specific characters and I like the look of the ethnic maps.

• Would like hear from others what they think and hope for in the new Gen9 figures. I'm looking forward to it, and one of my main wishes is Skin Builder 9.

• Brugan said:

Either nobody has asked or I simply missed the post,,, 

Will the new G9 mesh come with G8-8.1M/G8-8.1F UV options?

If not does someone have a product in the pipeline and will that be released fairly quick after G9 goes live?

EDIT: Looks like this was answered in a different thread.

Could you point me to where this was answered, please? heart I'm dying to know this, I want all my characters I made to work on G9, but if that can't happen, what I can't do without is the skin I always use, a G8 skin, so I would love to know if a G8 uv choice is possible w G9 or if a product adding G8  uvs to G9 is on the way, Thanks in advance for replies. If someone has any idea if G8.1 characters can be converted to G9, if such a product is on it's way I would be even happier. If none of those: no thanks to this. Thanks in advance for replies to these questionsheart.   

• tombraider4ever said:

Brugan said:

If not does someone have a product in the pipeline and will that be released fairly quick after G9 goes live?

Could you point me to where this was answered, please? heart I'm dying to know this, I want all my characters I made to work on G9, but if that can't happen, what I can't do without is the skin I always use, a G8 skin, so I would love to know if a G8 uv choice is possible w G9 or if a product adding G8  uvs to G9 is on the way, Thanks in advance for replies. If someone has any idea if G8.1 characters can be converted to G9, if such a product is on it's way I would be even happier. If none of those: no thanks to this. Thanks in advance for replies to these questionsheart.   

I'm working on a "Legacy UVs for Genesis 9" product which will put Genesis 3, 8 and 8.1 textures onto the Genesis 9 mesh.  It will include geografts for the head, shoulders and (probably) lips, as these cover the incompatible surface areas (Genesis 9 has no separate Lips surface). 

• It's a new mesh with new UVs, so previous generation skins aren't going to work out of the box. I don't remember there being any talk of a PA already working on this in the video yesterday, but I would not be surprised if there was one being worked on. If using a G8 skin is the most important thing for you, it seems like it would be a good idea to wait until a conversion option is available. You can always get the free base and hold off on purchasing other characters, since they will almost certainly go on sale again later.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,478

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

If you double the texture resolution, the size multiplies by four (on average, JPG or other image compression may reduce that), so using G9 instead of G8.1 will definitely have an impact on the amount of fugures in the scene

Image compression effects only the file sizes on the disk, once an image is opened in any program, it is uncompressed and uses memory according to formula; "Width (px) x Height (px) x color depth (bits) / 8 (bits) / 1024^2 = MegaBytes"

One 8192x8192x24bit image will take 192MB's of memory (RAM) when loaded to a surface, if that surface has same size maps for whatever, the memory usage is multiplied with the number of images. A surface with a texture and four maps at 8192x8192x24bit, will take almost a gigabyte of memory.

Iray does use it's own compression, but the amount depends on the settings you use. The default settings take memory usage down to about a half, so if an image takes 192MB's of RAM, it needs 96MB's of VRAM while rendering Iray on the GPU, and that is just one image.

• Cayman Studios said:

tombraider4ever said:

Brugan said:

I'm working on a "Legacy UVs for Genesis 9" product which will put Genesis 3, 8 and 8.1 textures onto the Genesis 9 mesh.  It will include geografts for the head, shoulders and (probably) lips, as these cover the incompatible surface areas (Genesis 9 has no separate Lips surface). 

Thank you so much for the reply heart, now I can have some hope for this to work! heart I use Mousso's Albany's skin all the time for my Lara characters, and I would not want to remake all my Lara models, but if I have to I will, but I can't do without Albany's skintexture, no Albany = no Lara models for me. Skin is a HUGE part of a character, I have tried different skin textures and nope! that's not my Lara.  I try Albanys skin again and: there she is again heart . One question though: does those geografts means that I can't use other such stuff, like cyborg looking arms/legs, or mermaid stuff? the skin is more important, but it would be nice to be able to use such fun stuff also. 

If someone knows about converting characters also G8.1 to G9, and also if there will be converting outfits/hairs G9 to G8 and back, both ways, I would be so grateful for replies, Thanks in advance for replies in this! heart I live for my Daz TR fanart, feel like this is why I was born, not a hobby, the purpose for my life, so these questions are really important to find out. If I'm stuck w G8.1 forever, love her, but if I'm stuck w no new content no new outfit ect for my Lara then that's not fun at all. Buying new stuff 4 my L is one of life's biggest joys for me. Sorry, too much info I know, I just wanted to express that I would appreciate if someone knows if those converters, outfits both ways, and ch G8.1 to G9 is on the way. If not I'll see if the answer turns up here at the forums. 

• No separate lips surface on G9? Good. That was one of the major sources for the UV seams and material mismatches.

• AlmightyQUEST said:

It's a new mesh with new UVs, so previous generation skins aren't going to work out of the box. I don't remember there being any talk of a PA already working on this in the video yesterday, but I would not be surprised if there was one being worked on. If using a G8 skin is the most important thing for you, it seems like it would be a good idea to wait until a conversion option is available. You can always get the free base and hold off on purchasing other characters, since they will almost certainly go on sale again later.

Thank you so much for the reply to this, I really appreciate it! heart  Yes, I'll wait until I can get my Lara models and my fav G8 skin to work w G9, and also until there are more converters available, like both ways converters for clothes for G8 - G9, and solutions for mermaid tails/cyborg part stuff, geograft is that the word for it, until those stuff work, and geo shells and... Long story short I'll wait and hope for the best laugh.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,688
    edited September 2022

Pendraia said:

I'm not spending yet on Vicki as I want the base morphs before I worry about buying specific characters and I like the look of the ethnic maps.

Hey @Pendraia! Don't know if you noticed, but from the looks of it the ethnic maps are from Jinx Jones 8.1, Clara 8.1, Kala 8, Zale 8.1, Kento 8.1, & I forgot the other.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • tombraider4ever said:

One question though: does those geografts means that I can't use other such stuff, like cyborg looking arms/legs, or mermaid stuff? the skin is more important, but it would be nice to be able to use such fun stuff also. 

If the cyborg arms or mermaid tails or whatever are themselves geografts and they do not overlap with the surfaces of these other geografts, there should be no problem.  A geograft can only attach to a mesh it was designed for (eg. Genesis 9).  Of course you might be able to kit-bash a geograft to fit on other surfaces - but that is another procedure which I'm not that familiar with. 

• AllenArt said:

Brugan said:

Now that the eyeballs and inner mouth are broken out as separate on G9, I don't even know if the G9 mesh CAN have G8/8.1 uv options without some fancy geograft stuff going on.

Splitting the emsh wouldn't force the UVs to change, it's the different arrangement of the surface groups that is the issue - at least some surfaces on Genesis 9 will need parts of two different Genesis 8 maps (and vice versa)

• kwerkxkwerkx Posts: 105

Wish: That Daz purchases the 2 PA G8->G9 pose converters mentioned in the livestream ourright and makes G8->G9 pose (near) compatability an out of the box feature for G9.

edited September 2022

Cayman Studios said:

A geograft can only attach to a mesh it was designed for (eg. Genesis 9).  Of course you might be able to kit-bash a geograft to fit on other surfaces - but that is another procedure which I'm not that familiar with. 

Good to see you again here, Kurt! If you could suss that procedure, it would be really helpful. I could never use wet/mud utilities with your last generation UV fixes.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • Cayman Studios said:

tombraider4ever said:

One question though: does those geografts means that I can't use other such stuff, like cyborg looking arms/legs, or mermaid stuff? the skin is more important, but it would be nice to be able to use such fun stuff also. 

If the cyborg arms or mermaid tails or whatever are themselves geografts and they do not overlap with the surfaces of these other geografts, there should be no problem.  A geograft can only attach to a mesh it was designed for (eg. Genesis 9).  Of course you might be able to kit-bash a geograft to fit on other surfaces - but that is another procedure which I'm not that familiar with. 

Thank you so much for the reply to this also, I really appreciate it! heartsmiley So some geografts might work, sounds great! heartsmiley I'll keep a close eye on the Daz store as always, so I can buy your product as soon as it becomes avaliable! heart

Rope in EmmaAndJordi, Rarestone/Ravenstone, & Zev0/Dogz to do Genesis 9 versions of their Genesis 8 head morph products NOW. Get K.H. Image Studio to fix the bends NOW.

Cayman Studios said:

tombraider4ever said:

Brugan said:

So pleased to see this as it has been a concern for many people. Thanks for doing it...

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    edited September 2022
    Not going to rebuy everything this time around. Great for closep portrait work, otherwise the old stuff great for the rest
    Post edited by daveso on

jjmainor said:

With all the complaints about loading times on a base G8F with all the character morphs, imagine how much longer it's going to take when the figure has to load both male and female character morphs.

Not just males and females but also creatures and animals. If Daz hasn't discovered a third way to handle this issue (or reverted to the Generation 4 method), I'll wait a couple of years until the 70-80 percent price reductions before purchasing, and ruthlessly discriminate on all G9 morph-based purchases.  

xyer0 said:

Pendraia said:

I'm not spending yet on Vicki as I want the base morphs before I worry about buying specific characters and I like the look of the ethnic maps.

Hey @Pendraia! Don't know if you noticed, but from the looks of it the ethnic maps are from Jinx Jones 8.1, Clara 8.1, Kala 8, Zale 8.1, Kento 8.1, & I forgot the other.

Thanks for the info xyero! I wasn't aware as I haven't bought many genesis 8 characters and as none of those names are at all familiar I'm fairly sure I don't own them. 

I will probably get Vicki eventually but I've passed the stage of oooh...sparkly...must have.

Which is good as we all have a wait until this is released.They have yet to do a thread with all the new products for this figure...

xyer0 said:

jjmainor said:

With all the complaints about loading times on a base G8F with all the character morphs, imagine how much longer it's going to take when the figure has to load both male and female character morphs.

Not just males and females but also creatures and animals. If Daz hasn't discovered a third way to handle this issue (or reverted to the Generation 4 method), I'll wait a couple of years until the 70-80 percent price reductions before purchasing, and ruthlessly discriminate on all G9 morph-based purchases.  

Has something changed with the genesis platform in the last 2 years? It was my understanding that morphs only load when you dial them in?

That was the beauty of genesis compared to V4 with all her morphs loaded.

• xyer0 said:

Cayman Studios said:

A geograft can only attach to a mesh it was designed for (eg. Genesis 9).  Of course you might be able to kit-bash a geograft to fit on other surfaces - but that is another procedure which I'm not that familiar with. 

Good to see you again here, Kurt! If you could suss that procedure, it would be really helpful. I could never use wet/mud utilities with your last generation UV fixes.

Hey there, xyer0.  That wet/mud thing - presumably you're talking geoshells.  Of them I am ignorant! 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2022

Pendraia said:

xyer0 said:

jjmainor said:

Has something changed with the genesis platform in the last 2 years? It was my understanding that morphs only load when you dial them in?

That was the beauty of genesis compared to V4 with all her morphs loaded.

They do only load when you use them.

However when you load the figure DS builds the list of morph all dials and their dependencies, and in order to do that it needs to process all the morphs you have installed, which takes time if you have a lot of them.

It's nothing new, earlier Genesis figures worked in the same way. Simply G8 had a longer shelf life than earlier Genesis figures so way more morphs have been released for it (and it uses lots of correction morphs too, which probably doesn't help), which makes the problem more likely to appear.

Post edited by Leana on

I don't have many morphs for genesis 8 so haven't noticed it being a problem. Having recently loaded v4 with powerloader the genesis figures are very quick by comparison even the original genesis which I have a huge inventory of characters for.

I'm glad that it hasn't changed and thanks for the response Leana...

Zev's growing up product...

• Was there a FAQ coming today?   My eyes are crap. I can't find it.  Hopefully covering what's in the pre-order bundle, is the pre-order bundle the "Pro" bundle or will "Starter" and "Pro" bundles come later, will buying the pre-order bundle get us the super discounts on other releases that we'd normally get if we bought the "Pro" bundle on release day, and so on.

• PREORDER. That word always sends off the alarm bells for me. I've been stung so many times by tempting offers only to be disappointed at time of release of software/game/product. Personally it says to me that there's a lack of confidence that on release it will do as well as they hope, hence the tempting offers. Yes I'm a cynical old git and I want Victoria 9 to be good but my immediate feeling is 'wait!'  

Maybe I was also hoping for 'bigger' improvements like soft body physics etc etc. We'll see.