Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Richard Haseltine said:

Genesis 9 requires Daz Studio 4.21.0.x. The builds with that update are 4.21.1.x - that is, the next version after the one Genesis 9 requires. 4.21.0.x will be the final version of the current 4.20.1.x public builds.

Ok, my mistake... Thanks for clearing that up Richard. 

• vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207

Can Genesis 9 have a female body with a convincing male chest, free from visual anomalies?  Visual anomalies would be defined as: Problems arising from a female normal map, with breast detail, being used on Genesis 9 while its male chest morph is dialed to maximum; if one even exists, or a poor looking male chest that has geometry problems.

• vozolgant said:

Can Genesis 9 have a female body with a convincing male chest, free from visual anomalies?  Visual anomalies would be defined as: Problems arising from a female normal map, with breast detail, being used on Genesis 9 while its male chest morph is dialed to maximum; if one even exists, or a poor looking male chest that has geometry problems.

As I said, only the PAs havea ccess to the model - it would be a pretty niche product so I doubt anyone is likely to have tried.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,307
    edited October 2022

So Richard , could you please just clarify for me - is this true:

I run Daz Studio on a Windows 7 desktop. I will be able to use Genesis 9 figures (at least in the short term) on this PC if I install the latest Beta released today (4.21.0.5)?

But I won't be able to update to any 4.21.1.x versions?

ETA: I use the Beta because I still have the General Release 4.16 installed and want to keep it, so it's only the Beta I care about.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieL said:

So Richard , could you please just clarify for me - is this true:

I run Daz Studio on a Windows 7 desktop. I will be able to use Genesis 9 figures (at least in the short term) on this PC if I install the latest Beta released today (4.21.0.5)?

But I won't be able to update to any 4.21.1.x versions?

ETA: I use the Beta because I still have the General Release 4.16 installed and want to keep it, so it's only the Beta I care about.

Yes.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,348

I am another one a bit perplexed over the obession with the issues around nipple/navels. When I buy a character, either from here, or any other store, I primarily look at the head and body morph, and the skin quality. I can't recall even once that the shape of the navel/nipples altered my buying choice in the slightest. If third party characters don't come with customised versions of these body parts, that would not bother me at all. I accept that some buyers will be concerned about this, but I suspect they would be a minority.

I do like that G9 has removed the eye and mouth geometry from the main mesh. This should mean transfering characters to G9 should be easier, as most of the converters we have now do seem to struggle with the eyes, which are frequently deformed, particularly with large eyed stylized characters like Aiko.

Small sized, but high polygon items like eyes, mouths, navels and nipples are well handled as geografts, as then we can set their sub-d levels independent of the main mesh. It always seemed crazy having to set the overall mesh to a high level of sub-d just because it is needed by one small part of the body.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,925

So many talk so much about nipples and navels. I would not worry about this, for there will be some PA here, making geografts for that, including a HD extra.

Masterstroke said:

So many talk so much about nipples and navels. I would not worry about this, for there will be some PA here, making geografts for that, including a HD extra.

Sure, but I can't make or modify them myself because 1. I have no access to the PA tools for HD morphs, 2. there is no geometry to make them with.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025
    edited October 2022

Padone said:

Gator said:

You can turn subD off and then it's roughly the same number of vertices.

Again, with G9 you are forced to use HD for the basic body features, then HD requires a high level of subdivision at least 3-4 this is the whole point there.

I seriously feel like I'm missing something. At base resolution on the female G8/8.1 figures, the standard non-HD nipple morph looks similar to the results I got when I tested how hard it would be to create a basic shape like that without dedicated topology. At subdivision level 1--which as I understand it is equivalent to G9's base resolution--I can see detail if I dial in an HD morph. At subdivision level 2, the details are very clear. There's a huge difference in visibility between level 2 and level 4, but not really between 2 and 3 or 3 and 4. 

If you want anything but a rounded cone sticking out on G8, you're almost definitely working at a subdivision level higher than base, but not necessarily at 3 or 4. If you have any HD morphs like scars or veins, you could dial those in and check what they look like at different resolutions to get an idea of what you'd need, since those are usually on parts of the body that have uniform topology. Some of them really do need 3 or 4 to show up, but there has never been a world where adding real detail through HD morphs didn't require a higher subdivision and Daz-exclusive products. 

TL;DR you should not need to work at a super high resolution just to see an HD nipple morph, but I imagine you will if you need to see pores and things (because that's how it works now). 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited October 2022

@plasma_ring As for HD subdivision consider that it is related to the topology underneath. With G8 you can use a low level because you have topology for the basic shape. With G9 you have just a flat quad to work with so you have to subdivide it enough to get your sculpting, that will require 3-4 as noted.

Havos said:

It always seemed crazy having to set the overall mesh to a high level of sub-d just because it is needed by one small part of the body.

And that's exactly what you'll have to do with G9.

Post edited by Padone on

Padone said:

@plasma_ring As for HD subdivision consider that it is related to the topology underneath. With G8 you can use a low level because you have topology for the basic shape. With G9 you have just a flat quad to work with so you have to subdivide it enough to get your sculpting, that will require 3-4 as noted.

And while one can get the subdivided mesh out of DS to a modeller for making morphs, only DAZ PA's can get those HD meshes back to DS as morphs. This severly limits what can one do oneself. The obvious pokies are just an example of what can't be done as the base resolution mesh doesn't have the geometry for it. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,348

Padone said:

Havos said:

It always seemed crazy having to set the overall mesh to a high level of sub-d just because it is needed by one small part of the body.

And that's exactly what you'll have to do with G9.

Not if the nipple/navel is a geograft, which seems the sensible way forward for those interested in extreme detail in these areas.

The other alternative is to get the detail via normal maps, though I accept not everyone likes this route.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025

Padone said:

I think my confusion is because I've mixed up multiple posts with different priorities from different people. The first issue I saw raised was that third-party vendors would be limited in their ability to sell characters outside of Daz because nipples and navels would be harder to sculpt, but I've never owned more than a few third-party characters where they tried to create custom morphs for those because there's only so much you can do with the base resolution topology. The other concern is that we won't be able to customize them with our own morphs, but there were also people who seemed worried about detail being visible there at all (which is why I suggested looking at veins or something that had been sculpted on areas off the chest to see what they'd look like at lower subdivision levels--it doesn't look fantastic, but they're there). And then there's the performance concerns.

All of these things seemed to be dealbreakers that would make the figure drastically less usable, so I was struggling to imagine a situation in which custom nipple and navel morphs need to 1) be highly customizable and superior to geografts or normals, 2) not rely on Daz-exclusive products, and 3) not require higher subdivision levels to look good. I think it's fair to be worried about performance and how easy it might be to do work ourselves (I use ZBrush for positioning morphs and I'm gonna be annoyed if accuracy becomes an issue), but I just kind of expected that there'd be new tradeoffs and workarounds because the no-HD thing has always been a pain. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Speculation.  Genesis 9 will be released within 18 hours of the time of this post.  The update to Studio which I downloaded and installed today is the basis of my speculation.  If I am incorrect, then...   ...nothing.  I don't think I get punished for being wrong.

Could get my post deleted, though.  

• Diomede said:

Speculation.  Genesis 9 will be released within 18 hours of the time of this post.  The update to Studio which I downloaded and installed today is the basis of my speculation.  If I am incorrect, then...   ...nothing.  I don't think I get punished for being wrong.

Personally, I expect the Daz+ sale to run through this weekend, with G9 coming Monday. 

• murgatroyd314 said:

Diomede said:

Personally, I expect the Daz+ sale to run through this weekend, with G9 coming Monday. 

I'm betting on the weekend so there won't be anyone around to fix the usual screwups 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited October 2022

Robert Freise said:

murgatroyd314 said:

Diomede said:

I'm betting on the weekend so there won't be anyone around to fix the usual screwups 

This. LOL 

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Robert Freise said:

murgatroyd314 said:

Diomede said:

wink

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,883

This is my first time being around for a new generation. Will we have to "buy" G9 essentials, or will they automatically show up in DIM?

Gordig said:

This is my first time being around for a new generation. Will we have to "buy" G9 essentials, or will they automatically show up in DIM?

Essentials will automatically be added for free to your product library when released 

• e assume, since the downloads are now gone, that the avaialbility of items from the intro bundle was an erro - discussion has been removed, as will be any further pre-release posts.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

Richard Haseltine said:

e assume, since the downloads are now gone, that the avaialbility of items from the intro bundle was an erro - discussion has been removed, as will be any further pre-release posts.

Um..huh? indecision

• do we have a release date?

• mkn.klay said:

do we have a release date?

Mid-October

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Richard Haseltine said:

mkn.klay said:

do we have a release date?

Mid-October

which would be nowish 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389
    edited October 2022

Mid October that would be 1200HRs Sunday the 16th

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • arks0ngarks0ng Posts: 272
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

e assume, since the downloads are now gone, that the avaialbility of items from the intro bundle was an erro - discussion has been removed, as will be any further pre-release posts.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I had suspected that might be the case

However, all of the product names and links (though not working like before) are still showing on the bundle's page, so is it okay to say the names of said products, or...?

Edit; erm, the downloads are still up, I'm not sure what you mean? Or at least, they're still in my library, for both manual and install manager. Were they definitely removed?

I feel like I've been offered some kind of exclusive otherworldy glimpse into the future :0

Post edited by arks0ng on
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,286

Hmm.... maybe tomorrow along with another Genesis 9 Live Stream?  smiley

• Spooderman760Spooderman760 Posts: 16
    edited October 2022
    arks0ng said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I had suspected that might be the case

However, all of the product names and links (though not working like before) are still showing on the bundle's page, so is it okay to say the names of said products, or...?

Edit; erm, the downloads are still up, I'm not sure what you mean? Or at least, they're still in my library, for both manual and install manager. Were they definitely removed?

I feel like I've been offered some kind of exclusive otherworldy glimpse into the future :0

It is not like you could do anything with it though since you need daz 4.21 to use it but that isnt released either
    Post edited by Spooderman760 on
  • Gator said:

Hmm.... maybe tomorrow along with another Genesis 9 Live Stream?  smiley

I doubt it since they usually announce the livestream a day or 2 in advance