Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Richard Haseltine said:

nonesuch00 said:

Hermann said:

Interactive Licenses

Get Interactive Licenses for just $10 each*

-> Can't you fix the shopping cart so that I can buy the interactive license at least for Genesis 9 without buying the product twice?

They should fix that yes but you should, in your cart, have the product in their, and a 2nd entry for the license in there, so you can just delete the product out of your cart and leave the license. That is how I did it. I've not done it for a few months though so if they've changed that, my apologies.

I don't understand the issue - I go to the product page, for the bundle in my case, check the Interactive License and the Puchased button changes to Add License. Click that and it adds the license, without a second copy of the bundle, to my cart.

In the past, when I've purchased only a license without having already bought the product the license is for, is what I described applies to. I misunderstood the question the poster was describing. 

From what the poster said, it actually should work just how Charlie Judge described it.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

I'm thinking Wednesday also...gives everyone time to download the latest version of DS ready to use Genesis 9.

• I could have sworn when they first announced it the splash image on the animated board (which isn't there any more) said Oct 18 but I could be wrong....

• So we should be able to use AutoFit for G9, right? So wouldn't AutoFit work on Voss Hair from 3/8 figures? Why hasn't Daz completely figured out how to fully backward compatiable their new figures to work with older figures, like shoes...why are shoes such a pita to fit? You'd think after so many figures they have now, they'd fix it. 

• XpiderManXpiderMan Posts: 426

I really, really hope it is compatible with older figures. Having to pay $10 - $15 more for a base figure and then having to buy clothes, poses, hair and accessories from the ground up, would be a real downer for me. Plus I'm not even sure if my computer will be able to handle rendering a G9 figure.  I guess we'll have to wait and see in the next few days. indecision

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 776

Well, from the thread @richard closed:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7763681/#Comment_7763681

I think we can be pretty sure that it is today (October 18, at least in the FE) or tomorrow.  The Vic9 bundle has magically appeared at the head of the "new arrivals" list, the final ding-dong of the current sale has death knelled with everything being drearily listed again, as though we weren't actually looking every day (why do we do that, when we can simply wait until the last day?)

Tomorrow (in the right time zone) we will have Vic 9 in our "Ready to Download" and, perhaps more important, everyone will have "Genesis 9 Starter Essentials", unless someone has to define "mid October" as "mid October 2023"; the kind of manual readjustment that has certainly happened many times in the history of software.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,925

XpiderMan said:

I really, really hope it is compatible with older figures. Having to pay $10 - $15 more for a base figure and then having to buy clothes, poses, hair and accessories from the ground up, would be a real downer for me. Plus I'm not even sure if my computer will be able to handle rendering a G9 figure.  I guess we'll have to wait and see in the next few days. indecision

You are not paying for base product.

G9 is free, you are paying for a character morph and material.

backward compatible means, that nothing has really changed. G9 is new. Your G8 stuff will be untouched and you can keep using it. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

Just test G9 and decide for yourself.

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 508

butterflyfish said:

Jay Versluis said:

Indeed, nothing about the ghost lights behaviour has changed. KindredArts (the vendor of the original ghost lights) has created a new product that works with 4.16 and above: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-ghost-light-kit-one

IIRC, if you own the original ghost lights, this should only be a couple dollars in your cart. 

oh thx for the tip.
    2$ is a very low price for the new kit

Thanks everyone for the info and help. I will end up buying that item and installing the new version of Studio. Unfortunately I was calling the product I use Ghost lights, when it is actually called Iray Light Probe Kit. Very awesome product. So that suggested item is listed as $9.98 right now, in my cart it is $8.98. Sadly not the $2 as some got it for. Must be because I don't have the original iray ghost light kit, but i do have the iray ghost light kit 3. Thanks again everyone for helping.
  • XpiderMan said:

backward compatible means, that nothing has really changed. G9 is new. Your G8 stuff will be untouched and you can keep using it. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

I never understand this arguement. It completely misses the point. Like ofcourse we know g8 will still exist. Thats not the point. The point is that we want our 100s if not 1000s of dollars worth of purchases to work with updated figures and their latest technologies like facial expressions for example. Yeah i could use g8, but that means downgrading to a more outdated figure with objectively worse facial expressions just so we can use our favourite skin textures.
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Nosiferret said:

So we should be able to use AutoFit for G9, right? So wouldn't AutoFit work on Voss Hair from 3/8 figures? Why hasn't Daz completely figured out how to fully backward compatiable their new figures to work with older figures, like shoes...why are shoes such a pita to fit? You'd think after so many figures they have now, they'd fix it. 

Shoes and especially high-heels are notably difficult to rig even manually, because there are so many ways to design them. So rigging them automatically will always be a hit-and-miss.

• At what point should we start asking for our money back?

edited October 2022

Spooderman760 said:

Masterstroke said:

XpiderMan said:

I never understand this arguement. It completely misses the point. Like ofcourse we know g8 will still exist. Thats not the point. The point is that we want our 100s if not 1000s of dollars worth of purchases to work with updated figures and their latest technologies like facial expressions for example. Yeah i could use g8, but that means downgrading to a more outdated figure with objectively worse facial expressions just so we can use our favourite skin textures.

Then we have something in common. I've never understood your point either. 
    I understand the need for converters from an older to a newer figure.
    It is in the nature of things, that everything you've invested in older things is pretty much burned money, when you get something new.
    When you buy a new car, do you think of all the money for tax, gas, insurence or repair, that you've invested in your old car?
    After 5 years it is really not to soon to have a new figure.
    With every release of a figure since Victoria 3, there is that run of the mill complaint of the money, that have been invested in the old figure.
    If 3d figures are your nr. 1 hobby, I have to tell you, that it is an expensive hobby.
    I myself invested 10,000s of $ in old Poser stuff, that I don't use anymore, for it looks like to low quality for nowadays standarts.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Spooderman760Spooderman760 Posts: 16
    edited October 2022

Spooderman760 said:

Masterstroke said:

XpiderMan said:

It is in the nature of things, that everything you've invested in older things is pretty much burned money, when you get something new.
    When you buy a new car, do you think of all the money for tax, gas, insurence or repair, that you've invested in your old car?
    With every release of a figure since Victoria 3, there is that run of the mill complaint of the money, that have been invested in the old figure.
    If 3d figures are your nr. 1 hobby, I have to tell you, that it is an expensive hobby.
    I myself invested 10,000s of $ in old Poser stuff, that I don't use anymore, for it looks like to low quality for nowadays standarts.

Well thats the difference. G8 assets arent even outdated. Its the figure (particularly facial expressions) that is outdated. Plus you cant really compare digital products to cars. Digital products are much more flexible and daz can do something about it. All they did was change the topology in the nipple area to make it more unified which somehow seemed to warrant an entirely new uv set. They didnt need to completely alter the entire topology as the topology was already pretty solid if not amongst the best and can only be improved to a certain point. Even if they did want to improve the topology, they could change the topology while keeping each uv island shape intact because the seams/places where 2 uv islands intersect can be kept constant because those arent at crucial bending points (below armpit joints, below groin joints, and below neck joints). They could keep these areas as well as seams consistent or partially consistent while still having the freedom of altering topology in the crucial areas. Simply changing something for the sake of being different and thus voiding years of progress is NOT progress and it could have been avoided is what frustrates me. Or at the very least give us a simple way to convert our textures (which cant be done with map transfer with different topologies (think V4 to genesis)) because creating realistic textures or finding the perfect set of textures is NOT an easy task.
    Post edited by Spooderman760 on
    edited October 2022

The real question always is: Do I get anything better?
    In case of G9, I expect things going more realistic like Joints, materials geometry ect...
    I have invested a lot of time in improving JCMs with G8, and I hope, that I don't need to do that again with G9.
    Since the basic G9 is free, I don't see a risk here. Skip V9 and maybe go for some morph packs, when absolutly needed. 
    And why hording new characters at all? Are the characters we have are not enough to poulate a scene. For that, I even still use Genesis (1) characters.
    To me there are two reasons only to buy a character:
    1) the character looks so amazing, that I simply cannot resist,
    2) the character has something I need, as a resource for building my custom character.
    People seem to feel chased, to have to buy characters. No, you don't have to.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,763

I tend to resist all the hype. I never bought into the Genesis 8.1 characters. I just thought Genesis 9 would be right around the corner. I never preorder anything. I'll wait for a few months before I get any Genesis 9 stuff.

• themissourisavage said:

At what point should we start asking for our money back?

No need to panic just yet ;-) Last I read they were still polishing up some loose threads - it definitely exists, it should be released before the end of the month.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

To avoid pointy pitchforks its best to make sure there's nothing left to fix before releasing :) And yes G9 definitely exist and will be out lol

• oddboboddbob Posts: 367

Mada said:

To avoid pointy pitchforks its best to make sure there's nothing left to fix before releasing :) And yes G9 definitely exist and will be out lol

Will the pointy pitchforks be HD only?

• oddbob said:

Mada said:

Will the pointy pitchforks be HD only?

ROFL  Just in time for Halloween!!!

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

Not only are they HD, but dipped in tar and lit on fire for extra toastiness. laugh

• Mada said:

Not only are they HD, but dipped in tar and lit on fire for extra toastiness. laugh

Thought the tar went with feathers devil 

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited October 2022

Masterstroke said:

Spooderman760 said:

Masterstroke said:

XpiderMan said:

Amen to that...I have over 7000 items from Daz over 17 years. New stuff comes out all the time. New animals, new figures, new sets and with each generally comes improvements.

I have seen these complaints occuring since I first started 3D. Personally I prefer to see new things come out. Do I like having backwards compatibility? Sure...is it necessary for me to start using a figure? No...

I don't always choose to buy into new figures. To be honest I haven't really bought a huge amount since the first genesis.  Why you might ask?

I loved the unisex capibilities of the original genesis and I wasn't happy about the splitting of the figure back into genders.

So I made a choice about whether to use the newer figures. I did use them a bit but none of them really got me excited enough to buy into them wholeheartedly. I was very picky and only bought the characters, clothing and poses I really liked.

I'm anticipating with Genesis 9 that I will buy more items because I'm very excited that we now have a unisex figure again.

Is it hard to buy stuff for a new figure. Yep...it can be. Try having the double whammy of being retired(so limited income) and also having to deal with the low Australian dollar at the moment. 

That said I'm not complaining about buying into a new figure. Instead I'll do what I've always done when I've decided to buy into a new figure and that is I'll wait for sales. Have I bought Victoria 9 yet? No because I know that eventually if I wait I can get her cheaper.  

Being a first adopter of new technology is always more expensive than waiting. The best time to buy for a figure if you're really keen on it, is when the next new figure arrives. 

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • arks0ng said:

rayglendenning said:

What was the price? I bought it on 05/10 and it was $111.99, did I pay the wrong price?

It cost me $78.39 on the 14th. You might want to try a ticket--

Is that with or without Daz+
  • With.

• rayglendenningrayglendenning Posts: 136
    edited October 2022

Catherine3678ab said:

With. 

Thank you, looks like my order was correct then :-)

Post edited by rayglendenning on
  • This is one store where having membership before doing much shopping really makes sense. Until the store changes over in less than 2 hours, it's still on sale for 40% off. Store Page.

• Catherine3678ab said:

This is one store where having membership before doing much shopping really makes sense. Until the store changes over in less than 2 hours, it's still on sale for 40% off. Store Page.

I renewed my Daz+ membership in the same basket so received the above discount (and used the $6 voucher), I was just making sure there wasn't an extra discount as it wasn't made clear in some of the posts! Unfortunately Daz+ doesn't look as beneficial as it used too...
  • Cost of everything everywhere is rising. Still it's better than nothing at all and I for one do enjoy those monthly and weekly freebies of plants, etc. Plus there is the addition of relatively inexpensive items added to the + pool too. Several characters and some vehicles, or other such props.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846

Daz+ is not what it once was. I dropped out for 6 months, because Daz kept making it less and less valuable by having more and more sales where the benefits did not "stack". I rejoined this month for the annual Daz+ sale, and I figured I would want to buy some Daz Original G9 stuff sometime during the year. I had a bit of buyer's remorse when I found out the sale would be shortened. But I have to say, I have had so much fun rendering for the Daz+ Render Contest, that fun alone is worth the cost of membership this time around. It doesn't matter if I win anything or ever use another coupon. This has taken up the slack of the discontinued RRRR contest as far as fun rendering challenges go.
    Daz+ is mostly good for new people who don't own much yet and want to buy lots of Daz Originals, IMO.

• Hm i think today is the release day 

the pre-orders get new Item Infos