Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• GatorGator Posts: 1,286

Eagerly awaiting, as I have already purchased the bundle.  Also I skipped 8 and 8.1 as with all the add-ons to Genesis 3 I have I didn't see it as much of an upgrade really.  Already have HD hands and feet (unavailable on G8), fibermesh brows, fibermesh eyelashes, and I bought a few G8 figures and reverse engineered the G8 dual lobe specular Iray shaders for my G3 figures.  smiley

I was really looking forward to finally a new figure with substancial upgrades, and excited the mesh is finally more dense.  I'm really concerned about going back to a unimesh - how do they solve some of the UV issues with that?  It does no good to achieve hyper-realism with the face if the body details do not match.

1 - UV stretching with the breasts. 

2 - Just downright awful stretching with the nipples - with a completely flat base mesh, the nipples are going to be stretched to an absurd degree.  Without any nipple mesh in the base, there's nothing us users can do anything about it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited October 2022

PerttiA said:

Twilight76 said:

i think next week will we know more :)
    4.21 is now in the changelogs to find...

Minimum R510 driver is 512.78 on Windows
    ​Minimum R515 driver is 516.93 on Windows

End of W7 support.

The next major version of Daz Studio is built on Qt6, and that has its own minimum version requirements.

4.20.1.x is the 4.21.0.x to-be that will be required for genseis 9, 4.21.1.x is the version after that rather than the one required for Genesis 9

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,201

i'm mostly curious about when the genesis 9 core morph packages will be released.

it'd be nice if they were released at the same time victoria 9 premieres. 

i'm not particularly interested in picking up any next-generation characters until they're available.  though v9 does look interesting.

j

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025

Watching the stream, I'm really pleased with how easy it is to create a realistic older character using the base morphs. 

• jardine said:

i'm mostly curious about when the genesis 9 core morph packages will be released.

it'd be nice if they were released at the same time victoria 9 premieres. 

i'm not particularly interested in picking up any next-generation characters until they're available.  though v9 does look interesting.

j

I dfon't have any info but I would certainly expect Starter Essentials, Victoria 9, and the morphs to appear together.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793

Watching Jay's video on G9 and I see nothing there that I don't already have with all the morphs packs I have. So glad I purchased Emma & Jordy and Rarestone's morphs when they were still available which have MUCH more detailed morphs than what he's showing. Jay is acting like all the morphs are new and so exciting when most of what he's showing has been around since V4, Relieved I won't be missing anything by not investing in G9.

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

On a recent stream, we saw that navel morphs for G9 are all HD. Is the creation of HD morphs still limited to DAZ PAs? If so, wouldn't that severely limit the capability of artists on other stores to create custom characters for G9?

3DRT said:

On a recent stream, we saw that navel morphs for G9 are all HD. Is the creation of HD morphs still limited to DAZ PAs? If so, wouldn't that severely limit the capability of artists on other stores to create custom characters for G9?

I don't think I've ever purchased a custom character that had any noticeable navel morph that was not an HD Daz PA character. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited October 2022

PerttiA said:

Twilight76 said:

i think next week will we know more :)
    4.21 is now in the changelogs to find...

Minimum R510 driver is 512.78 on Windows
    ​Minimum R515 driver is 516.93 on Windows

End of W7 support.

surprise typing on my Win7 while using D|S4.20 

don't actually have my 980Ti reinstalled yet though, using Filament 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

..while I like the idea of returning to the Unimesh ( will help in making more petite and young female characters, not looking forward to having to throw a lot of money at base character shapes, clothing, merchant resource, and script content to make it useful for the level of custom character development I do, along with the time involved having to rebuild all my characters (as well as tossing a sizeable investment in this into the dustbin for content that no longer will be compatible).

As to clothing fits, wonder if one of the "improvements" is considered dForce dynamics which wasn't around with G1.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2022

Yay, Jay and the occasional Daz online webinars. 

Just watched the session on Genesis 9 characters.  Answered quite a few questions.  Want to make sure to give Jay his richly deserved positive feedback before issues with Genesis 9 that have nothing to do with him dominate the discussion again.  Backward compatibility of clothing appears to have similar functionality as currently between older generations.  He made an older elf woman using G9 and applied some G8 clothing, and then had similar adjustments as we do now.  Sky did not fall.  Nipples will probably be issue for non-Daz-PA character creators. 

Link to youtube version, if link gets preserved.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMQanJZ-YE

nipples.jpg
    1016 x 587 - 104K
    Post edited by Diomede on

The stream was fun! I'd like to see one that's aimed more at users who are familiar with the program since a lot of the straightforward information was focused on showing how custom character creation with morph dials works, but that's understandable since there are probably people interested in G9 who haven't used Daz before.

Some takeaways:

• Most of the morphs Jay showed were pretty much the same as the G8 basic morph package, but some of them work differently due to the unified mesh. There are categories for "feminine" and "masculine" morphs that are intended for one body type or the other, but most body and face morphs are in a general category. Any of them can be applied as desired, but the distinction seems to be that gendered morphs change the hip and shoulder proportions. 
    • There are pose dials for mouth stickiness that make the lips adhere to each other on either or both sides. This is really helpful for creating realistic expressions and something I usually have to adjust in ZBrush or postwork. 
    • Genital grafts work like G8.1 (you buy a bundle and get male and female attachments, presumably this is still exclusive to adult characters).
    • Nipples and navel are in fact HD morphs.
    • The G9 materials appear to include a lot of options for eyelash shapes using transparency maps.
  • johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 155
    edited October 2022

Hmmmm free Voss hair (not a Voss hair fan), so I wont be buying the bundle. But free Voss hair gives me the impression that G9 wont be able to use previous version items like G8 and 8.1 can. I hope thats not the case.

I rarely ever use any clothing, but hair is a necessity for me. Heck I`ve been using G2F hair on G8F quite a bit since buying the converter. I really like haor from that generation.

Thank goodness for Riversoft Art!

Post edited by johnjohn808 on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793

johnjohn808 said:

Hmmmm free Voss hair (not a Voss hair fan), so I wont be buying the bundle. But free Voss hair gives me the impression that G9 wont be able to use previous version items like G8 and 8.1 can. I hope thats not the case.

I rarely ever use any clothing, but hair is a necessity for me. Heck I`ve been using G2F hair on G8F quite a bit since buying the converter. I really like haor from that generation.

If you don't conform the hair and just parent it, you can pretty much use any hair on any generation with a few manual adjustments.

• Thank you Jay and all for that wonderful video today.

I hope that those head/body morphs come in the V9 bundle.

• johnjohn808 said:

I think the point is that an auto-conversion will not be as good as a manual conversion.

• jeylienjeylien Posts: 33

In the livestream yesterday (I wasn't able to watch live, so watching now!), people were talking about the Merchant Resource versions of the G9 morphs, and while I can see those in the store, I never saw any merchant versions of the Daz head & body morph sets for Genesis8, so I was wondering, did that ever exist? (If so, could somebody give me a link or tell me where to go for that?) Though I currently couldn't afford them, I would've gotten the merchant version in the past if I'd known that was available. Glad it's an option with G9 now though, and I guess I'll just have to work more and save up more and upgrade sooner than I'd planned!

• jeylien said:

In the livestream yesterday (I wasn't able to watch live, so watching now!), people were talking about the Merchant Resource versions of the G9 morphs, and while I can see those in the store, I never saw any merchant versions of the Daz head & body morph sets for Genesis8, so I was wondering, did that ever exist? (If so, could somebody give me a link or tell me where to go for that?) Though I currently couldn't afford them, I would've gotten the merchant version in the past if I'd known that was available. Glad it's an option with G9 now though, and I guess I'll just have to work more and save up more and upgrade sooner than I'd planned!

Oh the PAs do NOT pay that much lol ... anytime Daz3D puts a super silly high price on items, that is to DETER people from buying it/them.

Only PAs can buy the Merchant Resources for these basic morphs AFAIK.

You would have to contact Daz3D via the help support ticket system and talk with them about any licenses available [such as for merchant resource use] of their morphs by non-PAs.

What we all can do is make and sell or share Shape Presets [as those require the end user to also own the morph packages] -- if mixed in with our own morphs, they MUST be dialed out of the morphs we share [free or $]. [last I read, I do not speak for the company, I just read [too] many posts.]

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited October 2022

@jeylien The HD merchant resource doesn't exist for G1-G81 because it is not needed for those figures. Again, with G9 you are forced to use HD for body features as navel and nipples, hence the HD merchant resource, that wasn't necessary for G1-G81. Honestly I feel like G9 is more a regression from G8 than an enhacement, the main purpose of G9 seems to be cutting out 3rd party shops that can't do HD.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Yeah there was an outrages price mentioned in the video that made me say something I can not post here

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Padone said:

@jeylien The HD merchant resource doesn't exist for G1-G81 because it is not needed for those figures.

You've never seen merchant resources for previous generations, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist. We weren't meant to see the G9 merchant resources, either.

• Gordig said:

Padone said:

@jeylien The HD merchant resource doesn't exist for G1-G81 because it is not needed for those figures.

You've never seen merchant resources for previous generations, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist. We weren't meant to see the G9 merchant resources, either.

I think this is new - previous generations required that the end user own the morph packs directly, I guess for users exclusively populating their scenes with Daz characters they will now be more optional

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 522

Padone said:

@jeylien The HD merchant resource doesn't exist for G1-G81 because it is not needed for those figures. Again, with G9 you are forced to use HD for body features as navel and nipples, hence the HD merchant resource, that wasn't necessary for G1-G81. Honestly I feel like G9 is more a regression from G8 than an enhacement, the main purpose of G9 seems to be cutting out 3rd party shops that can't do HD.

That would cut out 3rd party shops from creating G9 characters, but not from creating clothes, props and poses. 

Which mighz be an attempt at cutting off adult content.

However, 99% percent of renders I sell have adult content.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

... or it could simply be that there's a push to make G9 as friendly as possible to use, and for Daz PAs to have access to these morphs is a great perk. :) Its not always nefarious and trying to cut out other stores. A lot of work and thinking went into G9.

I can give honest feedback in that most PAs who have worked with G9, characters as well as clothing - are very pleased with G9 and hate going back to do something on G8.

With the first Genesis nipples between male and female always caused issues, especially on the male chest. HD nipples is a great solution for that. Knowing this community I am also certain that other solutions will appear rapidly :)

• As a PA, and as someone who works with other PAs I have loved working with G9 Even the idea of the merchant resources has made the concept of jumping into something like Character creation a whole lot less daunting. And honestly, there's no other generation I would have liked to start with, even at its base level G9 blows me away: from everything like facial features and expressions capability and posing abilities, to the eyes (which for me have always been a dead give away) especially as someone who's No.1 goal is realism. And in terms of the MRs, with them being restricted to use on the DAZ Store, I honestly haven't got a problem with it at all. The way I see it is that there's this whole team who have worked so hard to create these and at the end of the day, DAZ is a buisness. Of course they wouldn't want to spend all of that time and money developing these kits only to not get to reap the rewards from it. It wouldn't make sense financially. I'm not sure there's anyone who could genuinely sit there, pour all of that effort and money in, and then call it a day and be happy to take a loss on it if people used it exclusively on stores that aren't DAZ.
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,892

The morphs will still be available to everyone, just not as a merchant resource that's baked into the figure morphs. It will have to be applied as a dial like on G8. Its adding extra options, not taking anything away from the other stores :) 

• beulahdroyds said:

from everything like facial features and expressions capability and posing abilities

What's the posing like? I've been hoping to hear more about it. Honestly, this is the only thing keeping me from saying I'll hop onto G9. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

beulahdroyds said:

As a PA, and as someone who works with other PAs I have loved working with G9 Even the idea of the merchant resources has made the concept of jumping into something like Character creation a whole lot less daunting. And honestly, there's no other generation I would have liked to start with, even at its base level G9 blows me away: from everything like facial features and expressions capability and posing abilities, to the eyes (which for me have always been a dead give away) especially as someone who's No.1 goal is realism. And in terms of the MRs, with them being restricted to use on the DAZ Store, I honestly haven't got a problem with it at all. The way I see it is that there's this whole team who have worked so hard to create these and at the end of the day, DAZ is a buisness. Of course they wouldn't want to spend all of that time and money developing these kits only to not get to reap the rewards from it. It wouldn't make sense financially. I'm not sure there's anyone who could genuinely sit there, pour all of that effort and money in, and then call it a day and be happy to take a loss on it if people used it exclusively on stores that aren't DAZ.

But, when people 'know', DAZ isn't going to give them certain morphs they are looking for, and as they have practically made it impossible for people to make those morphs themselves, that makes people unhappy. 

• PerttiA said:

beulahdroyds said:

As a PA, and as someone who works with other PAs I have loved working with G9 Even the idea of the merchant resources has made the concept of jumping into something like Character creation a whole lot less daunting. And honestly, there's no other generation I would have liked to start with, even at its base level G9 blows me away: from everything like facial features and expressions capability and posing abilities, to the eyes (which for me have always been a dead give away) especially as someone who's No.1 goal is realism. And in terms of the MRs, with them being restricted to use on the DAZ Store, I honestly haven't got a problem with it at all. The way I see it is that there's this whole team who have worked so hard to create these and at the end of the day, DAZ is a buisness. Of course they wouldn't want to spend all of that time and money developing these kits only to not get to reap the rewards from it. It wouldn't make sense financially. I'm not sure there's anyone who could genuinely sit there, pour all of that effort and money in, and then call it a day and be happy to take a loss on it if people used it exclusively on stores that aren't DAZ.

But, when people 'know', DAZ isn't going to give them certain morphs they are looking for, and as they have practically made it impossible for people to make those morphs themselves, that makes people unhappy. 

I think making judgements about G9 at this point is like watching a 30 second trailer for a movie and deciding the movie's ending is no good.  The procuct should be out before long, even with "DAZ soon." 

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,018
    edited October 2022

The posing is really nice - not sure if I'm allowed to say anthing very specific about that before it's officially released, but I'll say I've been making poses since Genesis 1, and I'm very happy with the rig & weight mapping.  The mesh itself is delightful - a good density for sculpting without needing to do HD morphs, but not so dense that it requires fiddly weight mapping for clothing, and there are no weird pinch points. I'm having a lot of fun working on products for this figure. Being able to use the merchant resource morphs to tweak my character sculpts is a huge time saver - it's not that you *have* to use them, but sometimes you just want to make the nose bigger or something, and being able to dial it up and bake it into my shape is so much faster. I'm mostly making normal-res shapes--there are nipples and navel HD morphs built into the figure, so I'm just going with those for now, dialing them up and ERC'ing them to autodial along with my shapes. 

I also like working from a unified base and then making gendered versions of things, because I'm always interested in more male content, as well as clothing etc. for kids. So I end up converting stuff that I buy quite frequently, just to have male versions. It'll be a lot easier with G9, but without the old Genesis 1 problem of trying to build clothes on a totally flat-chested figure.

Anyway, I hop around in my interests--shapes, textures, props, poses, clothes, and now I've also learned to make dforce hair--so I am making a little of everything for Genesis 9, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I still love the earleir generations of figures--heck, I still render things with Aiko 3 from time to time--but I'm one PA who's super-psyched about Genesis 9, for what it's worth. 

Post edited by Canary3d on