Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• jd641jd641 Posts: 454

richardandtracy said:

Now, this may seem a bit like a backhanded compliment. Because it is, really.

I appreciate the G9 Waterfall Hair, To me, the style looks a bit retro & a bit thin around the flyaway curly bits above the shoulders & near the ears.

The hair looks nice but what really got my interest was the face morph, it's very natural and nice. I'm hoping it's not a totally custom morph and maybe it's something I can buy/mix to get something close to that look.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,486

I don't know what the character is, I must admit. Feels partly a Mousso character, but there are elements I don't recognise. Possibly a Colm Jackson figure? I just don't know. I agree she looks intruiging.

Regards,

Richard

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,654

I came to this thread because I was wondering why there have been no new releases all weekend. Does anyone know?

I've been using DAZ since 2018 and this is the first time that's happened.

Oh, I'm not a DAZ junkie... Sigh!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908
    edited July 1

vonHobo said:

I came to this thread because I was wondering why there have been no new releases all weekend. Does anyone know?

Because it was a catchup sale and that happens quite often.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,763

frank0314 said:

vonHobo said:

Because it was a catchup sale and that happens quite often.

4 days straight? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908

If that's how long the catchup sale is then yes. Sometimes they still release new products but sometimes they don't. It all depends of what the sale is.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,814
    edited July 2

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

Attention Buyers of the new Mischief hair (https://www.daz3d.com/hs-dforce-mischief-maker-hair-for-genesis-9) - this has a REALLY  high vertex count, especially for a dForce hair that uses curves / omni shader. If you're on a less than top machine, like me, you should test whether you can handle it at all before the return time window closes, just in case. For me, the viewport became almost unresponsive once I'd loaded it in. I could still render it though, and it does look very realistic, so I'm going to keep it. But it's one heavy bugger, and this PA should really work on their optimization processes. Am not buying any more dForce hairs from them for now.

Thanks for the warning. Have you tried reducing the points per hair in the dForce surface settings? I don't own it yet, so I'm not sure what settings it has.

@tsroemi I bought the hair and I see what you mean about the number of vertices, but I loaded an OOT dForce hair and it had 426,558 vertices, so maybe 11,000 isn't so bad.

The HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9 renders terribly shiny for me out of the box. I am using a simple studio HDRI. The character's skin, eyes, teeth, clothing look fine, but the hair is really bad looking. I discovered almost accidentally that the hair looks much better in Iray Preview than in an actual render. I examined the Parameter settings and discovered that the Render Line Tessellation Sides is set to 1. It should be 0 for dForce Omni Hair Iray Curves. The Viewport Line Tessellation Sides is set to 0, which is why the preview looks better, I think. Changing Render Line Tessellation Sides from 1 to 0 makes the silly shininess go away.

Render Line Tessellation Sides 1, as delivered in the product

Render Line Tessellation Sides changed to 0

HS MM Long Hair Render Line Tessellation 1 as delivered.png
    2000 x 2600 - 7M
    HS MM Long Hair Render Line Tessellation 0.png
    2000 x 2600 - 7M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,864

barbult said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

Attention Buyers of the new Mischief hair (https://www.daz3d.com/hs-dforce-mischief-maker-hair-for-genesis-9) - this has a REALLY  high vertex count, especially for a dForce hair that uses curves / omni shader. If you're on a less than top machine, like me, you should test whether you can handle it at all before the return time window closes, just in case. For me, the viewport became almost unresponsive once I'd loaded it in. I could still render it though, and it does look very realistic, so I'm going to keep it. But it's one heavy bugger, and this PA should really work on their optimization processes. Am not buying any more dForce hairs from them for now.

Thanks for the warning. Have you tried reducing the points per hair in the dForce surface settings? I don't own it yet, so I'm not sure what settings it has.

@tsroemi I bought the hair and I see what you mean about the number of vertices, but I loaded an OOT dForce hair and it had 426,558 vertices, so maybe 11,000 isn't so bad.

The HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9 renders terribly shiny for me out of the box. I am using a simple studio HDRI. The character's skin, eyes, teeth, clothing look fine, but the hair is really bad looking. I discovered almost accidentally that the hair looks much better in Iray Preview than in an actual render. I examined the Parameter settings and discovered that the Render Line Tessellation Sides is set to 1. It should be 0 for dForce Omni Hair Iray Curves. The Viewport Line Tessellation Sides is set to 0, which is why the preview looks better, I think. Changing Render Line Tessellation Sides from 1 to 0 makes the silly shininess go away.

Thank you once again, dear lady. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,673

xyer0 said:

barbult said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

Thanks from me also! I hadn't checked an actual render yet, just preview. Boy would I have been annoyed. Great hint! - I'm rather unhappy to hear this about the OOT hair, could you point out which one? I haven't tested everything I bought lately yet. Probably I will have to return it, my rig could really only barely handle this hair. 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,414

The Victorian Carriage https://www.daz3d.com/victorian-carriage-for-daz-horsewould be interesting, especially as it has a harness, which is unfortunately completely missing on most models of this type, making them unusable out of the box. But which Daz Horse is this thing intended for? Number one, two or three?

The Millennium Horse can hardly be meant, can it? However, the outdated-looking promos certainly speak in favour of it. The author could at least have provided a brief explanation as to whether the model is also suitable for the later Daz Horses.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,009

caravelle said:

The Victorian Carriage https://www.daz3d.com/victorian-carriage-for-daz-horsewould be interesting, especially as it has a harness, which is unfortunately completely missing on most models of this type, making them unusable out of the box. But which Daz Horse is this thing intended for? Number one, two or three?

The Millennium Horse can hardly be meant, can it? However, the outdated-looking promos certainly speak in favour of it. The author could at least have provided a brief explanation as to whether the model is also suitable for the later Daz Horses.

The harness is an interesting item, but the carriage doesn't look 'real' by today's standards. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,862

caravelle said:

The product page certainly doesn't spoil you with information. The figure in most of the promos is wearing Eldritch Seeker, which suggests that it works with DH2 at least.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,864

caravelle said:

The horse in the promo is DH3 (I will leave off the adjectives). You can tell because he's hairless. 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,414

Thank you all for your detective work. Now I can think about whether I'll give it a try.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,021

I was looking at that carriage and wondered about which DAZ Horse and why it wasn't specified as Required but for some reason the link I see above did not appear on the promo page. So I had to search through three forum threads before I found this one. I don't hate DAZ Horse 3 but I think it should be identified as a Required Product. I did look at the Read Me and nothing there indicated the horse generation.

Regarding the carriage, shaders might help, but it is sad to have to do this work on a new product. Off hand, can't remember if we have an outfit for a carriage driver to wear. Poses for horse, driver, customers, driver's outfit, and textures for the carriage would be great add-ons. Too bad they didn't make a bundle for this.

memcneil70 said:

Regarding the carriage, shaders might help, but it is sad to have to do this work on a new product. 

It's not (just) the shaders, but the sides look like they were cut out of plywood, straight with no curvature in them and no moldings on edges, corners or around the windows - Not something a professional carriage maker would dare to show his customers.

PerttiA said:

memcneil70 said:

Regarding the carriage, shaders might help, but it is sad to have to do this work on a new product. 

It's not (just) the shaders, but the sides look like they were cut out of plywood, straight with no curvature in them and no moldings on edges, corners or around the windows - Not something a professional carriage maker would dare to show his customers.

Ah, okay I can see what you mean now. Yeah, not good. 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,924
    edited July 2

Yay, SuYee again. yes

Post edited by Masterstroke on

memcneil70 said:

PerttiA said:

memcneil70 said:

Ah, okay I can see what you mean now. Yeah, not good. 

I don't get a lot of the new releases these days. We have a rather nice Victorian carriage in the very same style for Horse 2, with reins and everything ( https://www.daz3d.com/horse-drawn-carriage-for-daz-horse-2). We also have lots of other carriages for Horse 2, plus 2 (I think) variants for Horse 3 that bring their own harnesses and things which can be adapted to the older wagons. So where is the need for this new product, especially at this rather out-dated standard? Why does DAZ accept it, and just as it is as well, because they don't even bother to put the '3' in the description next to 'Horse'? Is this all about quantity now?

tsroemi said:

xyer0 said:

barbult said:

Thanks from me also! I hadn't checked an actual render yet, just preview. Boy would I have been annoyed. Great hint! - I'm rather unhappy to hear this about the OOT hair, could you point out which one? I haven't tested everything I bought lately yet. Probably I will have to return it, my rig could really only barely handle this hair. 

The OOT hair I looked at is dForce Strand-Based Summer Style Wavy Long Bob Hair for Genesis 9. Although it has 426.558 vertices in the hair strands, it does not exhibit the same kind of viewport performance delay as the HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9. The OOT hair is also properly setup with Render Line Tessellation Sides 0, and renders nicely. If you own it, try it out. Render Line Tessellation Sides 0 reduces the load on the system during Iray render, because it uses special Iray curves for the hair strands instead of tessellated polygons. Don't be put off by the jaggy look in the texture shaded preview. Because of the use of Iray curves, the render (with line tessellation 0) will be beautifully smooth curves.

Cheyenne 9 OOT Summer Style Wavy Bob Hair Black.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,240

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

xyer0 said:

barbult said:

The OOT hair I looked at is dForce Strand-Based Summer Style Wavy Long Bob Hair for Genesis 9. Although it has 426.558 vertices in the hair strands, it does not exhibit the same kind of viewport performance delay as the HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9. The OOT hair is also properly setup with Render Line Tessellation Sides 0, and renders nicely. If you own it, try it out. Render Line Tessellation Sides 0 reduces the load on the system during Iray render, because it uses special Iray curves for the hair strands instead of tessellated polygons. Don't be put off by the jaggy look in the texture shaded preview. Because of the use of Iray curves, the render (with line tessellation 0) will be beautifully smooth curves.

While both these styles are lovely, the Mischief Maker Hair has roughly 11 million vertices, as is the Ursula one by the same vendor.  It is super heavy for curve based hair.  If your computer struggled with my older dforce hairs, you can expect to struggle with those two mentioned. OOT's strand hairs on the other hand are surprisingly low weight and will more than likely run on a potato :) 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 384

barbult said:

The
    HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9 renders terribly shiny for me out of the box. I am using a simple studio HDRI. The character's skin, eyes, teeth, clothing look fine, but the hair is really bad looking. I discovered almost accidentally that the hair looks much better in Iray Preview than in an actual render. I examined the Parameter settings and discovered that the Render Line Tessellation Sides is set to 1. It should be 0 for dForce Omni Hair Iray Curves. The Viewport Line Tessellation Sides is set to 0, which is why the preview looks better, I think. Changing Render Line Tessellation Sides from 1 to 0 makes the silly shininess go away.

Barbult! You have just saved Omni hair for me!

Seriously I stopped buying Omni hair after two products because both of them rendered ridiculously shiny at all times and I just concluded that it was the nature of the Omni shader and was puzzled why everyone else was so enthused about the darned thing. Now those hairs are usable for me!

columbine said:

barbult said:

The
    HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9 renders terribly shiny for me out of the box. I am using a simple studio HDRI. The character's skin, eyes, teeth, clothing look fine, but the hair is really bad looking. I discovered almost accidentally that the hair looks much better in Iray Preview than in an actual render. I examined the Parameter settings and discovered that the Render Line Tessellation Sides is set to 1. It should be 0 for dForce Omni Hair Iray Curves. The Viewport Line Tessellation Sides is set to 0, which is why the preview looks better, I think. Changing Render Line Tessellation Sides from 1 to 0 makes the silly shininess go away.

Barbult! You have just saved Omni hair for me!

Seriously I stopped buying Omni hair after two products because both of them rendered ridiculously shiny at all times and I just concluded that it was the nature of the Omni shader and was puzzled why everyone else was so enthused about the darned thing. Now those hairs are usable for me!

That's great to hear!

chevybabe25 said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

xyer0 said:

barbult said:

While both these styles are lovely, the Mischief Maker Hair has roughly 11 million vertices, as is the Ursula one by the same vendor.  It is super heavy for curve based hair.  If your computer struggled with my older dforce hairs, you can expect to struggle with those two mentioned. OOT's strand hairs on the other hand are surprisingly low weight and will more than likely run on a potato :) 

Ahhhh, so that's it, I cleanly overlooked a few zeros there! Not just 11,000 vertices like I posted initially but 11 millions! Sorry everyone for being so sloppy. No wonder at all then. I'm actually rather proud of my laptop that it can handle that hair at all. Thanks for setting this straight, chevybabe.

@barbult, I don't have the OOT hair you mentioned, but after my mistake's now been set straight, I'm not worried at all anymore about the other OOt hair I own, it'll probably work just fine. Thanks again for your efforts!

11 million! Yikes, I should have checked. No wonder it is so slow to load and bogs down so bad. I think I'll return it. I can't see encouraging a vendor to keep making stuff like that.

barbult said:

11 million! Yikes, I should have checked. No wonder it is so slow to load and bogs down so bad. I think I'll return it. I can't see encouraging a vendor to keep making stuff like that.

I've been thinking about that, too. You gotta learn if something's not turned out so well somehow, and if nobody tells you and complains, how would you? But it always makes me feel so bad if it's not a DO, and to be fair, I CAN render it, it's just very unwieldy. Maybe I'll raise a ticket asking DAZ whether the PA could update the hair with a more optimized version? But I reckon they'll just ask whether I want to return it anyways ... Huh. 

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

xyer0 said:

barbult said:

I just had a chance to load the Mischief Hair on my Win 11 laptop with an RTX-4090 card, but only 32gb ram & vram. While it did not bring it to a dead stop, it stuttered and I did not have a character in the scene. I did as @barbult said and change Line Tessellation Sides to 0 and it was easier. I think the '1' was to create the 'wet look' that was advertised in the promo pages. But I prefer the softer look much better. Thanks barbult. The other hair released with Wagner 9 is transmapped, so not an issue. I have put that OOT hair on my wishlist now. Appreciate you highlighting it.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,311

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

xyer0 said:

barbult said:

Not to derail the thread, but while I don't have this particular OOT hair, I think I have all of the other OOT Omni hairs and have issue with them being too thin. Have any of you run across that? I have this newest one wishlisted anyway because I generally love OOT's hair items and I'm hoping it's just me doing something wrong.

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

I've been thinking about that, too. You gotta learn if something's not turned out so well somehow, and if nobody tells you and complains, how would you? But it always makes me feel so bad if it's not a DO, and to be fair, I CAN render it, it's just very unwieldy. Maybe I'll raise a ticket asking DAZ whether the PA could update the hair with a more optimized version? But I reckon they'll just ask whether I want to return it anyways ... Huh. 

I submitted the return request for  HS dForce Mischief Maker Hair for Genesis 9 today. I uninstalled it and deleted the package from my computer. I hope the vendor gets feedback to improve future products.

Looks promising, with 9 new items out of 17 in the cart, the cart is already at 90% off.

The Presidential bundle is instabuy, even with the car looking like it does

This discussion has been closed.