A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

Richard Haseltine said:

Robert Freise said:

They should also make an istall folder for it in DS like they've done for each of the Genesis figures

The current beta has added a way to tag by license type, and then that can be used as a filter.

Saw that but it's not something that we should have to do 

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,300

And I don't want to accidentally BUY EL items that I can't use commercially - so the tagging is at the wrong end. Needs to be on the store not after we have installed something.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305

3Ddreamer said:

And I don't want to accidentally BUY EL items that I can't use commercially - so the tagging is at the wrong end. Needs to be on the store not after we have installed something.

It is on the store, in the space also used for the Interactive and 3D Printing licenses. It does require remembering to look, of course - I have not noticed an EL until seeing the forum post before now - but if this is important to you the information is readily available in a consistent location on the product page.

• Richard Haseltine said:

3Ddreamer said:

It is on the store, in the space also used for the Interactive and 3D Printing licenses. It does require remembering to look, of course - I have not noticed an EL until seeing the forum post before now - but if this is important to you the information is readily available in a consistent location on the product page.

This isn't totally accurate. As long as DAZ has been around and I've shopped here, until very recently, everything sold on the store carried the standard license, and if you needed something ADDITIONAL to that, those licenses were available first as separate products covering specific vendors, and then as license add-ons on the product page of each item itself.

Having EL content in the same place as regular content changes the default assumption of all items carrying at minimum the standard license unless marked differently. When there were only a few Editorial items on the market, this mattered less, but now the onus is being put on customers to verify every item they're looking at if they want to make sure it carries at least a standard license.

This is something new, particularly due to the increasing frequency of heavily advertised new releases that fall under the Editorial license, despite being comparable in price to standard license items. Previously this wasn't the case.

It creates a lot more work, as well as confusion, for customers who previously were able to assume that all content on the DAZ store carried a standard license.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521

I have put in several tickets asking for Editorial content to be flagged on the store grid and in the cart, because right now it is entirely possible to put content in your cart and purchase it without the store ever telling you that it's restricted use. (It's inadvisable to purchase things without opening the store page, certainly, but it is possible).

On mobile, it's also completely possible to go through the product, look at all the promos and add it to the cart and yet still have the editorial notification off the bottom of the screen. Products already have icons next to their names or under their thumbnails (depending on which page you're on) listing them as Daz Original or Daz+, and I really don't see why an additional editorial icon couldn't be added to these.

I also feel that, yes, users should be able to filter out editorial content entirely (or have some option to have it greyed out in the lists), should they be in the position that they do exclusively commercial work and the editorial licence is unsuitable for them.

Mind you, I think users should be given much more capacity to filter everything. The store clearly already has category information for things like whether a set is an environment, hair, clothes, character, but we only get to filter by this in *some* cases. When sales of things like sales of old Genesis 2 or 3 stuff come along, I usually now ignore them, because I'm not going to go through three thousand items to find things I can actually use - but if I could quickly filter it to things like environments or prop sets that are still potentially useful with a bit of a shader update, I might actually then look at it.

I'm sure Daz have the idea that showing people *everything* will mean more sales, but at the same time, I often find that then just results in too much choice and causes me to wander off.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

Although it might've been useful to have an external indication of editorial status on products or even a category filter for all editorial products, what I really needed was a new font.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521

xyer0 said:

what I really needed was a new font.

You're quite right to complain. I've just looked in a load of church, chapel, monastery and cathedral sets, and none of them seem to have a font.

MORE FONTS ON THE STORE!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305

Solar Dreamer said:

Richard Haseltine said:

3Ddreamer said:

This isn't totally accurate. As long as DAZ has been around and I've shopped here, until very recently, everything sold on the store carried the standard license, and if you needed something ADDITIONAL to that, those licenses were available first as separate products covering specific vendors, and then as license add-ons on the product page of each item itself.

The Interactive License option has ben there for some years now, the 3D Printing for at least a couple I think. It's true that this is a new thing for those who do want to make commercial use of content but haven't been interested in the existing additonal licenses to look at, but using an existing spot to mark the license type is sensible and (at least in a full browser) accessible.

Having EL content in the same place as regular content changes the default assumption of all items carrying at minimum the standard license unless marked differently. When there were only a few Editorial items on the market, this mattered less, but now the onus is being put on customers to verify every item they're looking at if they want to make sure it carries at least a standard license.

This is something new, particularly due to the increasing frequency of heavily advertised new releases that fall under the Editorial license, despite being comparable in price to standard license items. Previously this wasn't the case.

It creates a lot more work, as well as confusion, for customers who previously were able to assume that all content on the DAZ store carried a standard license.

• Richard Haseltine said:

The Interactive License option has ben there for some years now, the 3D Printing for at least a couple I think. It's true that this is a new thing for those who do want to make commercial use of content but haven't been interested in the existing additonal licenses to look at, but using an existing spot to mark the license type is sensible and (at least in a full browser) accessible.

Correct, the interactive licenses have been there since ~end of 2017 / 2018. Editorial licenses have been here since 2022 (so much more recent).

The point I was making was that the default license for ALL items used to be the standard license (at least for 10 of the 12 years I've been here [and you've been here even longer than me], before editorial licenses were introduced), and any other licenses granted additional usage rights. Editorial licenses, in contrast, have restricted usage rights.

This feels like a downgrade in usage rights. Now you need to look at the license section of every product page to check that it carries the standard license, where previously the standard license was understood to be the default. Especially since EL items are now being heavily advertised at the same price as non-EL content.

Side note: I appreciate all the work you do moderating and acting as a liasion between DAZ and the DAZ community.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,625

plasma_ring said:

Lot of Batman stuff in today's update. I'm curious enough to poke my head in because I was always surprised at how difficult it was to kitbash Batman stuff; even vendors who were selling obvious cosplay items seemed to avoid directly portraying the character, and the only versions I could find of the cowl that weren't hidden "horn" morphs up until very recently were model rips from video games. I kind of assumed DC was especially touchy about my man Bruce or something.

Can't seem to find any batty stuff now.  

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 479

So if there are items that are pulled from the store, does that mean we shouldn't use them?

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,625
    edited August 13

Choppski said:

So if there are items that are pulled from the store, does that mean we shouldn't use them?

I've been buying here just a little longer than you and I have never received any notification from Daz3d regarding usage restrictions once an item is pulled. I only discovered via the forum when something is gone; Daz3d has never reached out to me.

Edited to add: I am sure Richard will chime in that if we have any concerns, we should reach out to Daz3d for clarification. I would beg to differ, since Daz3d should reach out to the customer to let them know their updated usage rights. Many customers do not visit the forums and the onus should not be on the customer to continually check that their purchases are still valid for the licenses they bought them for.

Post edited by Phoenix1966 on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

I'm happy to see EL items got pulled. Schadenfreude is probably a bad thing, but I still despise EL so cheers to disappearing EL items.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,289

Choppski said:

As always with anything marked as editiorial, the risk of using those products is on you, whether they were pulled or not.
    So, technically, you owe them and you can still use them. What you use them for, how, and where will likely determine whether you can get any in trouble (legal or otherwise) or not, but it'd be the same if those products weren't pulled.

• Gordig said:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-whirling-phoenix-kung-fu-dress

I don't know why the https://www.daz3d.com/hs-mai-odango-hair-for-genesis-9 and the https://www.daz3d.com/kaede-9-spinning-bird-hd-shape-add-on aren't also included in the editorial license, as they obviously complete the full Chun Li /street fighter set with exact likeness. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

DisparateDreamer said:

I don't know why the https://www.daz3d.com/hs-mai-odango-hair-for-genesis-9 and the https://www.daz3d.com/kaede-9-spinning-bird-hd-shape-add-on aren't also included in the editorial license, as they obviously complete the full Chun Li /street fighter set with exact likeness. 

I haven't followed the series too closely past a certain point, so I don't know about all the different stylistic changes over the years, but the Spinning Bird shape doesn't actually look THAT much like Chun Li to me. The Odango hair is just a fairly common Japanese style, and I don't know how possible it is to copyright/trademark a hairstyle anyway.

Frankly I don't see the EL for the dress as it's just a qipao and has been around since the 1920's at least. Saw many of them in certain establishments overseas and had a couple of girlfriends that were fond of them back in the early 70's. Long before Capcom brought out the game

The color and decoration is consistent with color and decoration on the dress of the video game character. The whole getup was evocative and I easily found corroboration in other places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Torquinox said:

The color and decoration is consistent with color and decoration on the dress of the video game character. The whole getup was evocative and I easily found corroboration in other places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Point is that combo isn't new or unique to the character it was around in real life back in the 70's 

Robert Freise said:

Point is that combo isn't new or unique to the character it was around in real life back in the 70's 

I hear you! And the character designer likely referenced that. Now, though, the character is part of pop culture and baked into the IP of a popular video game franchise. So, we get the EL on what was once a common style of dress.

Robert Freise said:

Torquinox said:

From the product copy, I'm not clear if Whirling Phoenix is entirely stand-alone or an add-on for the Soaring Dragon outfit. Either way, the Soaring Dragon outfit isn't Chun-Li's outfit, it's just a qipao; Whirling Phoenix IS Chun-Li's outfit, from the cut and pattern of the qipao to the boots to the bracelets.

Gordig said:

Whirling Phoenix IS Chun-Li's outfit, from the cut and pattern of the qipao to the boots to the bracelets.

True but as stated girlfriend wore one just like it except for the color hers was red and gold back in the 70's and the boots are the type of boot that professional wrestlers wore back in the 60's and 70's and the spiked bracelets have been around forever in all different shapes and sizes.

Robert Freise said:

True but as stated girlfriend wore one just like it except for the color hers was red and gold back in the 70's and the boots are the type of boot that professional wrestlers wore back in the 60's and 70's and the spiked bracelets have been around forever in all different shapes and sizes.

Yes, and when you put all of those elements together, they make Chun-Li's outfit. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. Most superheroes wear some sort of bodysuit, but if one were to sell a bodysuit with the coloration and design of a particular character, especially if they also included accessories distinct to that character, that might necessitate an EL where a generic bodysuit wouldn't.

Gordig said:

Robert Freise said:

Yes, and when you put all of those elements together, they make Chun-Li's outfit. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. Most superheroes wear some sort of bodysuit, but if one were to sell a bodysuit with the coloration and design of a particular character, especially if they also included accessories distinct to that character, that might necessitate an EL where a generic bodysuit wouldn't.

The point is they are not unique to the character

I will say no more on the subject 

• Robert Freise said:

Gordig said:

Robert Freise said:

How they're used probably comes into play here. Used in a fighting video game, it would be pretty clearcut copy. Used in a drama, romantic comedy, or whatever taking place in China, Chinatown, or associated sub-cultures, it would revert to the pre-existing cultural context, so long as the fabric design isn't unique to the character.

I'm not familiar enough with the specifics of this outfit vs. cultural standard outfits that it was drawn from. If it's generic, then it could probably be used in any context where it wasn't considered iconic. If it's not generic, then it wouldn't be able to.

Robert Freise said:

Gordig said:

Robert Freise said:

A spandex bodysuit, boots and cape are not unique to Superman, but a blue spandex bodysuit with a stylized S logo in a shield on the chest, red boots, a red cape and red shorts outside the bodysuit (or is that part of the bodysuit?) are. A character's outfit doesn't have to consist of wholly original elements to be considered distinct IP. It's incredibly obtuse to say that an outfit very obviously modeled after Chun-Li's outfit isn't just because other people have worn individual elements of that outfit before. If a real person wore the Whirling Phoenix outfit, everybody would assume they were doing Chun-Li cosplay. When Jackie Chan wore that exact outfit in City Hunter, it was a deliberate reference to Chun-Li.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114

Can't seem to find any batty stuff now.  

In addition to the EL add-ons (Dark Knight Bundle), one of the base items from the Thomas 9 Pro Bundle - XI DSB Accessories - seems to have been removed.

The price of the bundle hasn't changed - it's still $199.99 despite the missing item.
  • ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

Futuristic Bar and Lounge for Poser Futuristic Bar and Lounge for Poser | Daz 3D ok this is another EL product I'm scratching my head wondering why it has the EL is it because of the touchscreens on the wall and they're thinking Star Trek and well practically any other scifi movie/tv show cause those things are everywhere and everything even in real life