A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Futuristic Bar and Lounge for Poser Futuristic Bar and Lounge for Poser | Daz 3D ok this is another EL product I'm scratching my head wondering why it has the EL is it because of the touchscreens on the wall and they're thinking Star Trek and well practically any other scifi movie/tv show cause those things are everywhere and everything even in real life

The designs on the touchscreens are EXACTLY Star Trek: TNG aesthetics, although the bar itself doesn't look much like any that I recognize from the franchise.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521
    edited August 18

Vanishing Point's work is usually directly based on Star Trek.

I'm not hugely fluent in Trek, but poking around, this set appears to be strongly based on the bar of California-class ships (such as the Cerritos from Lower Decks).

(I got roped into a Star Trek RPG a while back, so I got fairly good at quickly researching things on the Memory Alpha wiki).

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

it's called LCARS and yes likely the reason for the EL

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,144

The Futuristic Bar and Lounge is based off of Lower Decks, that's why it's EL.  I'm a bit peeved that the Batman bundle was pulled, I was just going to buy it.  Forget doing a cosplay outfit, the car and jet are next to impossible to find anywhere.  Makes me wonder if there's a point to having EL Items if they're just going to get deleted.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156
    edited August 18

nightwolf1982 said:

I'm a bit peeved that the Batman bundle was pulled, I was just going to buy it.  Forget doing a cosplay outfit, the car and jet are next to impossible to find anywhere.  Makes me wonder if there's a point to having EL Items if they're just going to get deleted.

That's how it goes with these EL items. Sometimes, they get to stay. Other times, they vanish. I expect EL items will continue to appear. Going forward, if you see something you really like and it has EL, I advise you to buy it immediately. Assume it may vanish at any moment, because we've now seen that happen on more than one occasion. Once you've bought it, it's part of your library - You get to keep it and use it under the EL. If it vanishes before you buy it, it's gone from the store.

Post edited by Torquinox on

Torquinox said:

nightwolf1982 said:

I'm a bit peeved that the Batman bundle was pulled, I was just going to buy it.  Forget doing a cosplay outfit, the car and jet are next to impossible to find anywhere.  Makes me wonder if there's a point to having EL Items if they're just going to get deleted.

That's how it goes with these EL items. Sometimes, they get to stay. Other times, they vanish. I expect EL items will continue to appear. Going forward, if you see something you really like and it has EL, I advise you to buy it immediately. Assume it may vanish at any moment, because we've now seen that happen on more than one occasion. Once you've bought it, it's part of your library - You get to keep it and use it under the EL. If it vanishes before you buy it, it's gone from the store.

That's not always possible.  I had to wait until payday to get the bundle, but since it's gone I can't get it.  DAZ should really make an effort to decide yes or no if they want to sell EL items, or make it more clear what ips are allowable.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

nightwolf1982 said:

That's not always possible.  I had to wait until payday to get the bundle, but since it's gone I can't get it.  DAZ should really make an effort to decide yes or no if they want to sell EL items, or make it more clear what ips are allowable.

Sorry that happened to you. Given the promotion effort placed behind the biggest EL items, DAZ the company obviously wants to sell the EL items. There are other factors involved. And that's all I will say.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

here's a question on EL products If someone buys an EL product and it gets removed from the store do the buyers still get any support/fixes if there are any problems with the product

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

here's a question on EL products If someone buys an EL product and it gets removed from the store do the buyers still get any support/fixes if there are any problems with the product

Not likely 

HD U.S. Army 1940 for DAZ Studio

This item does not look anything like a 1940 Army Harley WLA or even an actual Harley.

The only thing similar to a Harley is the V-Twin engine and that's not specific to Harley as there were and are other bikes that use them. They were even used in some cars

• nightwolf1982 said:

The Futuristic Bar and Lounge is based off of Lower Decks, that's why it's EL.  I'm a bit peeved that the Batman bundle was pulled, I was just going to buy it.  Forget doing a cosplay outfit, the car and jet are next to impossible to find anywhere.  Makes me wonder if there's a point to having EL Items if they're just going to get deleted.

Think for a minute why it may be that they're next to impossible to find anywhere, and maybe then you have your answer, both for them and for a lot of the other EL content that gets pulled.

It's hard to find because it's under copyright, so asset creators generally aren't going to want to spend the time making things that will just get taken down or put them potentially in legal trouble.

Solar Dreamer said:

nightwolf1982 said:

Think for a minute why it may be that they're next to impossible to find anywhere, and maybe then you have your answer, both for them and for a lot of the other EL content that gets pulled.

It's hard to find because it's under copyright, so asset creators generally aren't going to want to spend the time making things that will just get taken down or put them potentially in legal trouble.

Thank you for stating the obvious.  I know the Batman IP is popular and easily recognized.  I wasn't asking why it got pulled, I was complaining that it got pulled.

• SageWinduSageWindu Posts: 32
    edited August 22

Holy macaroni. I've accumulated thousands of assets over the years, from whole environments to simple shaders.

Am I going to have to comb through my library to see what has an EL and what doesn't? I don't want to get into trouble just for putting one of my OCs in a Halloween outfit.

Edit: Okay, the Product Library page in your Account says near the top what kind of license the asset has, so there's that.

Now I just need to sift through the 150+ pages that are in mine. :')

Post edited by SageWindu on

Try 938

SageWindu said:

The Editorial License was announced on July 12, 2022, so you'd only need to check that far back.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,625

SageWindu said:

Holy macaroni. I've accumulated thousands of assets over the years, from whole environments to simple shaders.

Am I going to have to comb through my library to see what has an EL and what doesn't? I don't want to get into trouble just for putting one of my OCs in a Halloween outfit.

Edit: Okay, the Product Library page in your Account says near the top what kind of license the asset has, so there's that.

Or you can just cross-reference your library with this thread, which lists the EL items and includes what was removed:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/628906/editorial-license-items-list-listing-report-only-no-discussion/p1

• SageWinduSageWindu Posts: 32

Thanks everyone. That'll make this a bit easier to figure out (even though I tend to go... hard during sales).

• The Public Build of Daz studio has recently gained an option to obtain the license type as a tag, which can then be used as a filter for searching.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,845

The Public Build of Daz studio has recently gained an option to obtain the license type as a tag, which can then be used as a filter for searching.

How do we obtain that tag?
    edited August 23

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The Public Build of Daz studio has recently gained an option to obtain the license type as a tag, which can then be used as a filter for searching.

If I remember right you have to connect Studio to the web ( think DazConnect) and open the filters tab and have it do a search of your product library.

I'm sure there's more to it but I've lost the bookmark for the instructions.

Anyway it was a no-go for me at the connect Studio to the web 

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • 4.22.1.152 http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

• Added an “Add License Tag(s)” action to the context menu for products that can be identified as being from the Daz 3D store, in the Content Library pane

• Requires Daz Connect login - does not require “Update Metadata” option

• Creates user-owned tags (keywords) per license type

• Added an “Add License Tag(s)” action to the context menu for assets that can be identified as being from the Daz 3D store, in the Content Library pane

Note that it doesn't require updating metadata, so shouldn't casuse issues with unanted downloadable products appearing or unwanted changes to categories etc. (updating metadata has been optional, in the log-in screen, since the introduction of in-app notifications).

IMO A better option would still be to have the installers install to an EL folder specifically for them

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,490

Robert Freise said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If I remember right you have to connect Studio to the web ( think DazConnect) and open the filters tab and have it do a search of your product library.

I'm sure there's more to it but I've lost the bookmark for the instructions.

Anyway it was a no-go for me at the connect Studio to the web 

Oh hell no. I do not and will not log into anything with Studio. That is not a thing that is going to happen. 

Richard Haseltine said:

4.22.1.152 http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

• Added an “Add License Tag(s)” action to the context menu for products that can be identified as being from the Daz 3D store, in the Content Library pane

• Added an “Add License Tag(s)” action to the context menu for assets that can be identified as being from the Daz 3D store, in the Content Library pane

Note that it doesn't require updating metadata, so shouldn't casuse issues with unanted downloadable products appearing or unwanted changes to categories etc. (updating metadata has been optional, in the log-in screen, since the introduction of in-app notifications).

Thanks for the change log link. I has already seen that, but it leads to many questions:

1. Do I have to select every product and perform the context menu action on each one? Even with multi-select, that seems to be cumbersome and prone to human error by skipping some.
    2. Is there no "Update license tags on Daz store assets in this content library", to take care of everything with ONE action?
    3. When I install a product with DIM, why doesn't DIM install the appropriate license tag, too?
    4. Once tags are added, what is the method or search syntax for finding items with a specific license?
    5. What can be done to segregate products by license type? Should we or Daz create a category for them, or a Geoup to assign them to, or somehow move them to a different library?
    6. How can DIM be used to recognize items with a restricted license and install them to an alternate content library that we can configure in the DIM Settings?
  • barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

4.22.1.152 http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

Thanks for the change log link. I has already seen that, but it leads to many questions:

1. Do I have to select every product and perform the context menu action on each one? Even with multi-select, that seems to be cumbersome and prone to human error by skipping some.

Yes, I'm afraid - though you can select all products in a couple of steps

1. Is there no "Update license tags on Daz store assets in this content library", to take care of everything with ONE action?

The change log does (I think, the wiki was down earlier) does give the script commands so it should be fairly simple toa dapt one of the product-handling sample scripts

1. When I install a product with DIM, why doesn't DIM install the appropriate license tag, too?

Not a Daz Studio question, that would be one for more genral management

1. Once tags are added, what is the method or search syntax for finding items with a specific license?

Click on a tag to see the filter box populated with the required term.

1. What can be done to segregate products by license type? Should we or Daz create a category for them, or a Geoup to assign them to, or somehow move them to a different library?
    2. How can DIM be used to recognize items with a restricted license and install them to an alternate content library that we can configure in the DIM Settings?

I don't think DIM can do that, how you organise them is up to you - a new group (with optional hazardous-substance graphic) or a custom category are certainly options.

Thank you for your helpful responses, Richard. Clicking on the tag to fill out the search filter was an excellent tip. I was unaware of that feature. It will be useful for many things.

Wukong 9 | Daz 3D  Wukong 9 | Daz 3DWukong 9 by: , 3D Models by Daz 3D

ok he's been out for a little while now and when he came out thought he was just based on the mythology legend which of course there are several movies/shows of him but last couple weeks I've seen images and videos of a new game featuring him and looks exactly like him in every detail so suprised he did.t get hit with the EL oh yeah the headband too Black Myth Wukong All Soaks Locations

Black Myth: Wukong - Launch Trailer | PS5 Games - YouTube

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

ok he's been out for a little while now and when he came out thought he was just based on the mythology legend which of course there are several movies/shows of him but last couple weeks I've seen images and videos of a new game featuring him and looks exactly like him in every detail so suprised he did.t get hit with the EL oh yeah the headband too 

That was discussed at length in this thread. Also, not sure what you mean by "the headband too" as neither of the images you posted of Wukong from the game depict the character wearing a headband. Also also, the game Wukong looks a lot less like Daz's Wukong in the second image you posted than pre-release artwork did.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521

The half simian face, beard and head band with the twin curls are common elements in depictions of Sun Wukong (you can, for example, see a similar beard and headband in the 1978 "Monkey" series). Inversely, the Daz version has a lot of lines and creases not in the video game version, with an overall more weathered look.

While the timing of the release may not be coincidental, the features you've mentioned have appeared in multiple other versions and there are enough differences in other features to make it impossible to robustly argue that the game version was referenced.

Gordig said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

ok he's been out for a little while now and when he came out thought he was just based on the mythology legend which of course there are several movies/shows of him but last couple weeks I've seen images and videos of a new game featuring him and looks exactly like him in every detail so suprised he did.t get hit with the EL oh yeah the headband too 

That was discussed at length in this thread. Also, not sure what you mean by "the headband too" as neither of the images you posted of Wukong from the game depict the character wearing a headband. Also also, the game Wukong looks a lot less like Daz's Wukong in the second image you posted than pre-release artwork did.

Monkey tv series Pin by Fiona Massie on On the Box | Monkey tv series, Childhood ...