[Released] RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371

Finally, use your favorite Genesis 8 Hair without limitations on your Genesis 9 characters! Automatically convert almost your entire library of hair items using the new Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 9 or the Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Male to Genesis 9! The Hair Converter scripts provide batch execution for automatically converting your Genesis 8 Hair to Genesis 9 Hair in your library. Easily select the hair items in your library, select an output directory, and execute the script. Even better, icons and categories are copied from your original Genesis 8 hair to the new Genesis 9 hair items.

Your new Genesis 9 hair is completely Smart Content aware! They will show up when you select a Genesis 9 character. Plus, all materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 8 item will show for your converted Genesis 9 item.

• Convert Genesis 8 Hair, including multi-part hair such as wearables, for use by Genesis 9 characters.
  • Adds new movement bones to converted hair, adding functionality the original products lacked (may not work with all dForce hair)
  • Copies icons from Genesis 8 hair to Genesis 9 hair for a professional look
  • Copies Smart Content Products! Converted hair will be organized into similar products as the original items. The converted product mirrors the original hair items' products, organizing multiple converted items into one converted product and even using the product image from the original products.
  • Converted Hair is Smart Content enabled! All materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 8 item will show for your converted Genesis 9 item.
  • Automatically convert your entire library of hair with one operation!

Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button.

The script may not be able to convert all hair items without issues. Mid and high-level ponytails that were originally moved with bones will lose that functionality during the conversion process. In addition, though beards can be converted by the script, because of limitations in the conversion process, open-mouth expressions can possibly tear on the facial hair.

The script adds rigged bones to hairs on conversion, but cannot do this with hairs where the entire hair was grown from a cap with dForce (there isn’t enough actual geometry to work with, because dForce strands can’t be seen as geometry by Transfer Utility). It WILL work with hairs like many AprilYSH hairs that have dForce but also have geometry.

FYI: this is the best hair converter script we have done.  I (RiverSoft Art) finally figured out how to convert multi-part hair (the other generation (G3-G8, etc) scripts would skip these hairs).  It creates converted hair Smart Content Products as well as files.  Finally, it is much more robust.  

main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 856K
popup_1.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 685K
popup_2.jpg
2000 x 2363 - 2M
popup_3.jpg
1514 x 1000 - 691K
popup_4.jpg
2000 x 1300 - 2M
popup_5.jpg
2000 x 1300 - 852K
Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Does this convert strand-based dForce hair or just cloth-based dForce hair? I am unclear from the description above.

• I am soooooo excited about this. An insta-buy for me.

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

Agreed. I am soooooooo happy with the G8->G9 Clothing converter. Flipping brilliant. This looks like it's going to be very similar and it's going to be awesome!!!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,849

Yes, another interesting converter.

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371

barbult said:

Does this convert strand-based dForce hair or just cloth-based dForce hair? I am unclear from the description above.

I am pretty sure it converts strand-based dForce hair (the ones that look bald in the Iray preview).  I will ask SickleYield to be sure.

echristopherclark said:

I am soooooo excited about this. An insta-buy for me.

That's great to hear!

Phatmartino said:

Agreed. I am soooooooo happy with the G8->G9 Clothing converter. Flipping brilliant. This looks like it's going to be very similar and it's going to be awesome!!!

I am glad you like the clothing converter so much.  This one won't disappoint. smiley

Artini said:

Yes, another interesting converter.

Thanks as always for your support @Artini

• ZiconZicon Posts: 182

And it's out, commence yoinking in 3, 2, ...

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited June 2023

Exactly what I was waiting for. Thanks to you both RSSY.

Ohh... You do of course realize that now im going to have to find several bugs that im go to go back and forth with yall only to realize a week later that the issue(s) is(are) due to USER ERROR...

cheeky... and all that... laugh

Purchased!

Post edited by AnotherUserName on

Zicon said:

And it's out, commence yoinking in 3, 2, ...

Beat me to it!  

AnotherUserName said:

Exactly what I was waiting for. Thanks to you both RSSY.

Ohh... You do of course realize that now im going to have to find several bugs that im go to go back and forth with yall only to realize a week later that the issue(s) is(are) due to USER ERROR...

cheeky... and all that... laugh

Purchased!

Hopefully not. smiley  Hair Conversion is a much simpler process (and less likely to go horribly wrong) than Character Conversion so it should be a quiet week (I just have to tempt fate this way laugh)

• emrys3demrys3d Posts: 45

Just bought it and excited to use it.... though at the moment I am probably doing something wrong, but I am getting this every time I try converting any hair.
    I am following the PDF, and when I did the character converter thing you did, I didnt have any issues, but this no matter what hair I am trying to add I keep getting this issue. Like said, good chance I am having some setting wrong, but can't figure out why it does that, any suggestions?

Screenshot 2023-06-10 13.00.37.png
    1920 x 1080 - 294K
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181

emrys3d said:

Just bought it and excited to use it.... though at the moment I am probably doing something wrong, but I am getting this every time I try converting any hair.
    I am following the PDF, and when I did the character converter thing you did, I didnt have any issues, but this no matter what hair I am trying to add I keep getting this issue. Like said, good chance I am having some setting wrong, but can't figure out why it does that, any suggestions?

I think you are getting this error becasue the directory you are trying to save your Gen 9 hair to is the directory where your Gen 8 hair is.

You have to save the converted Gen 9 hair to a "new" directory, preferably a directory that is not in your My Daz 3d Library.

• Thanks for this! Purchased already. It was a no-brainer after the fantastic support on clothing converter in the last few weeks.

RexRed said:

emrys3d said:

I think you are getting this error becasue the directory you are trying to save your Gen 9 hair to is the directory where your Gen 8 hair is.

You have to save the converted Gen 9 hair to a "new" directory, preferably a directory that is not in your My Daz 3d Library.

Unfortunately I still cant get it to work, even by having the output now in a completely different folder etc, it wont let me add any hair at all, even running say the whole G8 hair folder, it keeps saying "no hair added", and no matter what I do, folder, or adding just one, it doesnt seem to do anything, no idea why. I am sure its something I am doing wrong, but followed the PDF and also tried what you said and still nothing, so no idea were I am going wrong. Will give up on it for now and wait to see if someone else has the same issue and figures out what is going wrong. Thanks for your suggestion though, was worth a try.

• pcw5150pcw5150 Posts: 7
    edited June 2023

emrys3d said:

I am also seeing this error intermittently. Some hair converts and some won't and can't add to the queue to try force convert.  

UPDATE: the suggestion for unchecking Check Content Type worked for the hairs I checked and converted. In the case of one (Martha's Everyday Bob G3/G8), the bones for the right/left/back hair adjustments and blow morphs don't work anymore as it appears the converter doesn't work with that bone structure. But, the styling morphs still work so still a win. The vast majority of hairs I have converted do work great. Thanks for this helpful product!

Post edited by pcw5150 on
  • Saidge42Saidge42 Posts: 128

emrys3d said:

you're not alone - i can't get it to behave either, no matter what, lol

edited June 2023

I created a new folder parallel to the My Daz 3D Library and named it "8to9 Hair",

At first, I did not add the 8to9 Hair directory to my runtimes. A lot of hair items were created but they did not show up in smart content.

Once I added the folder, 8to9 Hair to my Daz runtimes, then the hair I converted after that had items being placed into a folder called, "data".

I assume these new hair items will now show up in smart content. I also figure that I need to now go back and reconvert the other hair items.

My question is, will I run into other problems using this directory that is parallel to my Daz 3D library?

The full path to my new hair directory is, D:\8to9 Hair

The full path to My Daz 3D Library directory is, D:\My Daz 3D Library

I did not want to put the new hair items into a folder in documents becasue the documents folder is on a drive that has a small amout of free space. 

I only have 475 Gen 8 male hair items to convert. laugh

Post edited by RexRed on
  • I can't seem to get this facial hair to convert: https://www.daz3d.com/cc-beard-boss-for-genesis-8-males
    It does "open" after select and when pressing convert it's zero convert. 
    And the log is this: 

Input Filename does not have "hair" in its path: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Male/Anatomy/CC Beard Boss for Genesis 8 Male/CC Beard Boss for Genesis 8 Male - Base.duf

I've tried copying the beard folder into the hair as this one is in Anatomy folder for a reason. But in the "hair" the beard doesn't even gets recognised by the script!?

What to do?

RexRed said:

I created a new folder parallel to the My Daz 3D Library and named it "8to9 Hair",

At first, I did not add the 8to9 Hair directory to my runtimes. A lot of hair items were created but they did not show up in smart content.

Once I added the folder, 8to9 Hair to my Daz runtimes, then the hair I converted after that had items being placed into a folder called, "data".

I assume these new hair items will now show up in smart content. I also figure that I need to now go back and reconvert the other hair items.

My question is, will I run into other problems using this directory that is parallel to my Daz 3D library?

I did not want to put the new hair items into a folder in documents becasue the documents folder is on a drive that has a small amout of free space. 

Did you put all the hair you wanted to convert into that new folder? 

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited June 2023

Check - not all hairs will convert

Check - hair parts should convert

Check - beards that convert may break

I'm actually excited for this one. Does this fix the problem when certain transferred hairs, after saving and reopening a scene, the hair separates from the skull cap?

Oh, and already bought and using it... I might get my answer before you see this...

Post edited by necroscension on

emrys3d said:

RexRed said:

Did you put all the hair you wanted to convert into that new folder? 

I have a good numbert of hair assets that crash Daz during the converting process.

Daz freezes and leaves orphen assets in the scene. You can't delete them or invoke a new scene. When I close Daz, it crashes and the Daz bug report (that doesn't submit right) pops up. When I return back into the converter, the converter did not save my progress so I am left parcing through nearly 500 hair assets to figure out what got converted and what did not. 

On a positive note, a lot of hair assets did convert right.

My suggestion is, if you get this functioning, do each hair asset one by one.

Batch converting is, IMPOSSIBLE.

i'm in the same boat as emrys3d - it won't even get to the conversion stage.  the screen shot (supplied by emrys3d above) of the pop up that comes up is all that is achieveable no matter which hair or what is tried.  i never batch convert - i usually just go through and pick and choose and do it individually.  i have previous versions of Riversoft's converters (HUGE fan) and have never had an issue with their use.  there's obviously some sort of buggaboo that is now getting caught with wide distribution, which is sometimes the case with these things.  i'll be patient and see how it's addressed :D

• jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited June 2023

When I try to use it, it removes the figures eyes.  The log says "Cannot find assets for new preset."  I would share a picture, but of course, I'm unable to upload one angry

Here you go:

Post edited by jecswp on
    edited June 2023

Saidge42 said:

i'm in the same boat as emrys3d - it won't even get to the conversion stage.  the screen shot (supplied by emrys3d above) of the pop up that comes up is all that is achieveable no matter which hair or what is tried.  i never batch convert - i usually just go through and pick and choose and do it individually.  i have previous versions of Riversoft's converters (HUGE fan) and have never had an issue with their use.  there's obviously some sort of buggaboo that is now getting caught with wide distribution, which is sometimes the case with these things.  i'll be patient and see how it's addressed :D

I know this is probably obvious, but, there is a male 8 to 9 hair converter and a female 8 to 9 hair converter.

directory path for male hair converter is (replace with your drive letter) and

D:\My Daz 3D Library\People\Genesis 8 Male\Hair

directory path for female hair converter is (replace with your drive letter) and

D:\My Daz 3D Library\People\Genesis 8 Female\Hair

Hope that works

Post edited by RexRed on

RexRed said:

Saidge42 said:

I know this is probably obvious, but, there is a male 8 to 9 hair converter and a female 8 to 9 hair converter.

directory path for female hair converter is (replace with your drive letter) and

Hope that works

yeah, my file paths are sound - thanks for the thought :)

Saidge42 said:

RexRed said:

Saidge42 said:

Hope that works

yeah, my file paths are sound - thanks for the thought :)

yessmiley

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441

So when I try this, whether I try directory or single file, I get a no hair converted message, with this in the log: Adding 1 Files...

19:03:39 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): SKIPPING "Follower/Wardrobe/Unknown" file: F:/andy/mylibrary/People/Genesis 8 Male/Hair/Ajay Hair/Ajay Hair.duf

When I try the hair directory, it recognizes armani hair but nothing else.

All my library is on an external drive.

Not sure what to do.

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441

emrys3d said:

Yep, this is exactly what I am getting for pretty much everything.