[Released] RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

14567810»

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,373

barbult said:

If deleting data files is critical, why is it not even mentioned in the PDF manual? Based on previous forum comments, I did delete data files before trying again. At least they have CV in the folder name now, so they are a little easier to identify.

It is mentioned in the script dialog instructions:

If you want to convert the same hair twice, it is HIGHLY recommended to create a new, empty scene to clear out that cache before trying the second conversion. You should also delete the data files for the badly converted hair (see manual).

AND in the manual:

If you have converted hair twice, you can often get errors because the first conversion’s morphs can be active when converting the second time. If you want to try reconverting a hair, it is always recommended to find the data/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME/HAIR NAME folder and deleting it. This is NOT the folder in My Daz 3D Library (which would be the original hair) but in the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats section of the Content Directory Manager (which is usually My Library) 

What else should I do?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

If deleting data files is critical, why is it not even mentioned in the PDF manual? Based on previous forum comments, I did delete data files before trying again. At least they have CV in the folder name now, so they are a little easier to identify.

If you want to convert the same hair twice, it is HIGHLY recommended to create a new, empty scene to clear out that cache before trying the second conversion. You should also delete the data files for the badly converted hair (see manual).

AND in the manual:

If you have converted hair twice, you can often get errors because the first conversion’s morphs can be active when converting the second time. If you want to try reconverting a hair, it is always recommended to find the data/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME/HAIR NAME folder and deleting it. This is NOT the folder in My Daz 3D Library (which would be the original hair) but in the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats section of the Content Directory Manager (which is usually My Library) 

What else should I do?

Well, nothing I guess. I couldn't find that in the manual for some reason, in spite of searching the manual for data and delete. But you are correct. It is stated in the manual. I apologize for not finding it and suggesting it wasn't there.

edited April 19

barbult said:

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

AND in the manual:

What else should I do?

Well, nothing I guess. I couldn't find that in the manual for some reason, in spite of searching the manual for data and delete. But you are correct. It is stated in the manual. I apologize for not finding it and suggesting it wasn't there.

No problem @Barbult.  But if you could not find it when you are looking for it, that is bad.  Is there something I could do to make it more obvious?  Rereading it, I say "recommended" when it should be "required" or something like that.  For some reason with this new method, converting twice seems to be guaranteed to fail if files are around.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

Any updates on the dForce mess? At least replicating it?

Here is what I mean when I say it behaves like autofit.

Scene before saving and reloading;

Scene after saving and reloading;

dforcefailure 1.png
    615 x 458 - 112K
    dforcefailure 2.png
    621 x 465 - 121K

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

AND in the manual:

What else should I do?

No problem @Barbult.  But if you could not find it when you are looking for it, that is bad.  Is there something I could do to make it more obvious?  Rereading it, I say "recommended" when it should be "required" or something like that.  For some reason with this new method, converting twice seems to be guaranteed to fail if files are around.

I suppose ideally, the converter would delete those old files itself. It must know what they are named, since it is about to recreate them. Is there a reason that you already rejected that idea?

Eboshijaana said:

I don't think saving the converted scene and reloading it is the recommended procedure. I think you are supposed to load a new scene, reload your character, and then load the converted hair from the saved converted hair asset. I haven't tried the method you just described, so I don't know how it behaves, but I also don't know if the recommended procedure works any better for that hair. My hair conversion results are really hit and miss. I don't know why.

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 484

Hmm, I always save and reload before rendering as part of my workflow. This seems to help after you've experimented and viewed stuff in iray prevew for adjustments. I think I read that it helps when using scene optimizer and after finding the new scene almost always rendered with GPU (with less time), I stuck with it. Seems kinda crazy that I'm supposed to do everything in one load. I sometimes work on a scene for over a week until I'm done. :P

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

I don't think saving the converted scene and reloading it is the recommended procedure. I think you are supposed to load a new scene, reload your character, and then load the converted hair from the saved converted hair asset. I haven't tried the method you just described, so I don't know how it behaves, but I also don't know if the recommended procedure works any better for that hair. My hair conversion results are really hit and miss. I don't know why.

This isn't a converted scene, I loaded a hair I converted days ago into it.

My point was to show, that where the converted dForce hair fails, is the exact same situation as if I was using Autofit. To help Riversoft and Sickleyield to hone in on the solution better.

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

My point was to show, that where the converted dForce hair fails, is the exact same situation as if I was using Autofit. To help Riversoft and Sickleyield to hone in on the solution better.

I am not seeing the reload issue.  Here is a scene where I saved the Dolb Hair with a figure and reloaded:

If the converted hair is wrong BEFORE it is saved, it will not be any better on reloading.  What is the hair that you are showing with the problem?  Have you fully deleted the data files before converting?

2024-04-20_07-44-57.jpg
    1224 x 1173 - 123K
    edited April 20

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

I am not seeing the reload issue.  Here is a scene where I saved the Dolb Hair with a figure and reloaded:

If the converted hair is wrong BEFORE it is saved, it will not be any better on reloading.  What is the hair that you are showing with the problem?  Have you fully deleted the data files before converting?

It only does that with dForce hairs that have the hair generation as "Target Surface", Root Radius ones are fine.

And no, the converted hair was fine before conversion, it looked fine during the conversion as well. It is only when I make a new scene and try to use the converted dForce Hair that it behaves EXACTLY like an autofit hair applied to a scene, scene saved and then was reloaded. Reloading doesn't do anything to the converted hair, it just behaves exactly like the autofit hair I explained.

The hair in question is Greyson hair, but other Target Surface dForce hairs do the same.

I have deleted the CV product, the target folder, data folder and the AppData folder. There should be no issue.

Post edited by Eboshijaana on

barbult said:

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

AND in the manual:

What else should I do?

I suppose ideally, the converter would delete those old files itself. It must know what they are named, since it is about to recreate them. Is there a reason that you already rejected that idea?

The script does try and detect a previous conversion in the data files directory (which is not as easy as you would think since it doesn't control the name of those files).  Based on that, it changes its behavior but it doesn't seem to work as I would like.  I think it would need to delete the files, delete the scene, reload G9, and then do the hair conversion again.  It would be slow, complicated, and I still was not sure it would work.  I eventually decided to not do that as least for now.

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

It only does that with dForce hairs that have the hair generation as "Target Surface", Root Radius ones are fine.

And no, the converted hair was fine before conversion, it looked fine during the conversion as well. It is only when I make a new scene and try to use the converted dForce Hair that it behaves EXACTLY like an autofit hair applied to a scene, scene saved and then was reloaded. Reloading doesn't do anything to the converted hair, it just behaves exactly like the autofit hair I explained.

The hair in question is Greyson hair, but other Target Surface dForce hairs do the same.

I have deleted the CV product, the target folder, data folder and the AppData folder. There should be no issue.

Unfortunately, I do not have https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-greyson-hair-for-genesis-8 ; Is the Volta Hair you mention earlier in the thread also one of the weird save problems for you?  I have Volta Hair.  The script does not set the Conformer Morph for the cap to -100 percent (which I need to fix).  However, it converts correctly, and saves and reloads correctly.

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

Unfortunately, I do not have https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-greyson-hair-for-genesis-8 ; Is the Volta Hair you mention earlier in the thread also one of the weird save problems for you?  I have Volta Hair.  The script does not set the Conformer Morph for the cap to -100 percent (which I need to fix).  However, it converts correctly, and saves and reloads correctly.

Yyep, the weird bug affects ALL dForce hairs that are Hair Generation Mode:Target Surface.

Here is the hair with the cap at -100 G8F converter morph applied (I found no conformer morph.)

yyeeeepitconvertsbadly.png
    462 x 440 - 95K
    minus100gen8f.png
    441 x 541 - 116K

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

Yyep, the weird bug affects ALL dForce hairs that are Hair Generation Mode:Target Surface.

Here is the hair with the cap at -100 G8F converter morph applied (I found no conformer morph.)

I am not getting that conversion at all for Volta.  Here is the converted Volta hair on my machine (and the converter morph set), even simulated:

2024-04-22_07-28-32.jpg
    1402 x 1595 - 302K

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoft Art said:

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

I am not getting that conversion at all for Volta.  Here is the converted Volta hair on my machine (and the converter morph set), even simulated:

WTF, I swear I cleaned up every little corner of that hair conversion before converting it O.o

Maybe I should do some uninstalling and reinstalling.

You still have the issue with dForce hairs @Barlbult ?

edited April 22

Volta conversion does not work for me. The converter morph does not help. I made sure there were no previously converted files in the data directory or people directory. I have done this over and over. Volta hair comes with a G8F version and a G8M version. I converted the G8M version and used the G8M to G9 converter. This is what I get:

After conversion there are two orphaned references in my library. Is that any clue, or is that an expected result.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 155550 Volta Selected for conversion.jpg
    1731 x 1221 - 242K
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 15.56.19 during conversion.jpg
    2444 x 1284 - 777K
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 155857 new scene converted hair loaded.jpg
    1820 x 1198 - 288K
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 160156 morph 0.jpg
    1947 x 1223 - 325K
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 160313 morph 100.jpg
    1851 x 1277 - 356K
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 160357 morph -100.jpg
    1812 x 1241 - 314K
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 163239 orphaned references.jpg
    578 x 256 - 42K
    Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

SickleYield said:

I also have no idea on the non-dForce hairs. They worked fine in our testing (and I assume for QA also).

• Do you own the Hair products we are struggling with, like Librarian Hair? Have you tried those specific products with this converter version?
    • Are you using the DIM package version of all files, and not some development or extra files you have on your system?
    • Are you using a pubically available Daz Studio version, not a private or publishing build that we have no access to?  (I'm using 4.22.1.123 Public Build)
    • If it works for you, can you make a video shows exactly the steps you are taking with some of the hairs that fail for us? Maybe we are misunderstanding the written instructions.

Thanks for not giving up. You must be sick of this by now. We really really want this to work reliably.

On April 14, I asked these questions. I never saw answers, though, except a comment about Librarian hair needing a morph and smoothing. Something is different between what RSSY are doing and what we users are doing. Do we have some old converter scripts that weren't removed or updated by the DIM update, perhaps.

There is also another issue with the converter creating a morph with the name Expand All. This is a common morph name that many hair products already have. You can see in the Volta screenshots above that the Expand All morph listing now has a (2) beside it. The converter should not add a second Expand All to a product that already has it. Dialing the (2) Expand All dial engages both morphs at the same time.

barbult said:

Volta conversion does not work for me. The converter morph does not help. I made sure there were no previously converted files in the data directory or people directory. I have done this over and over. Volta hair comes with a G8F version and a G8M version. I converted the G8M version and used the G8M to G9 converter. This is what I get:

After conversion there are two orphaned references in my library. Is that any clue, or is that an expected result.

I am sure the orphaned refs must be from the DELETE_SUB_PARTS control variable in data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSG9HairConstants.dsa

var DELETE_SUB_PARTS        = true; 

I don't get orphaned refs (why you do is strange) but the files are named like the subparts.  The script saves each part of the hair separately so the data folder will have the correct files and then makes the wearable.

For Volta itself, it is strange.  For me, Volta Hair was floating in the air until I pulled it down with the converter morph.  For you, it was correctly placed.  Right there, that says the conversion was different.  I think I will have to take this offline with you two and provide another build.  

RiverSoft Art said:

barbult said:

I am sure the orphaned refs must be from the DELETE_SUB_PARTS control variable in data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSG9HairConstants.dsa

var DELETE_SUB_PARTS        = true; 

I don't get orphaned refs (why you do is strange) but the files are named like the subparts.  The script saves each part of the hair separately so the data folder will have the correct files and then makes the wearable.

For Volta itself, it is strange.  For me, Volta Hair was floating in the air until I pulled it down with the converter morph.  For you, it was correctly placed.  Right there, that says the conversion was different.  I think I will have to take this offline with you two and provide another build.  

It isn't just Volta hair, it's every dforce hair that generates hair from Target Surfaces, aka those that look what the density and length maps are doing. Something is making the hair lose its ability to read the scalp UV.