[Released] RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,373

barbult said:

Thanks for the clarification. The product page description is kind of misleading then, since it specifically and only mentions losing ponytail bones. It gave me hope that other bones would not be lost. I'm glad I asked.

Ah, I see how that could be confusing.  In our minds, it was restoring ponytail bones. smiley

Artini said:

Thanks, @RiverSoftArt.

I have bought recently cloth converter, so can play even more.

Thank YOU @Artini for all your support!

• I scaned the thread and did not see an answer to my question.,  How does it do converting Linday dforce hair?  I have LOTS of Linday G8 dforce hair.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Artini said:

Converted https://www.daz3d.com/2021-02-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-females
    and converted https://www.daz3d.com/21st-century-girl-outfit-for-genesis-8-females
    on https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-9-hd

That looks like nice hair.  It is clipping her right shoulder (image left side). Do the morphs work to adjust that?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874

Yes, I have noticed that too late. Will try with the another OOT hair.

It is much easier with dForce hair, though.

Thanks for sharing!

edited June 2023
    Post edited by Artini on

Linday's hairs are awesome. There are so many settings for dForce simulations - just amazing.
    Converted https://www.daz3d.com/classic-long-curly-hair-with-dforce-for-genesis-8-females
    on https://www.daz3d.com/olivia-9-hd

edited June 2023

Converted hair from https://www.daz3d.com/marigold-hair-for-genesis-3-and-genesis-8-female-s
    and converted dress from https://www.daz3d.com/emmy-lou-and-her-dress-for-genesis-8-female
    on Olivia 9 Young Adult from https://www.daz3d.com/olivia-9-hd-pro-bundle
    Only limited number of morphs/dials works on the hair after the conversion.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2023

Oops - posted in the wrong thread. Sorry.

Post edited by barbult on

Artini said:

Linday's hairs are awesome. There are so many settings for dForce simulations - just amazing.
    Converted https://www.daz3d.com/classic-long-curly-hair-with-dforce-for-genesis-8-females
    on https://www.daz3d.com/olivia-9-hd

Thanks for sharing all the images @Artini!

Thanks, @RiverSoftArt

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited July 2023

RiverSoftArt said:

vwrangler said:

I'm afraid I'm running into some odd issues as well.

For some reason, even though all the hairs I've selected are showing "Default - hair - short" in their actual metadata, the converter is insisting that they're all "Wardrobe - Unknown". I have no idea why it would be misreading the information this way. I had to uncheck "Check content type" before it would do anything at all.

The script calls the Daz Studio Asset Manager for the type of the filename.  It is what is reported by Daz Studio.

Also, it appears to HATE this hair https://www.daz3d.com/big-afro-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8 -- It got to the "Normalizing weight maps" step, and seemed to get stuck. I left it alone and did something else, just to see what would happen, and about 20 minutes after it started, it finally got past the weight maps and started writing assets.

Interesting.  Perhaps it has a lot of geometry?

My apologies -- I had to move shortly after I made that post, and I'm only just getting back to trying to use the Hair Converter.

So ... what is the Daz Studio Asset Manager, and do you know if there's any way I can get it to understand that my hair is actually hair? The difficulty I'm having with literally everything is as follows:

a) it can't tell what anything really is, as mentioned
    b) it all has to go through with Check Content Type option unchecked
    c) when it does do a conversion, everything winds up malpositioned -- usually a bit too low, and the scalp part almost entirely inside the head. Ponytails have ended up on top of the head and forward of where they should be
    d) The Converter Morph G8M/F is usually dialed to -100% by the converter after conversion, which I strongly suspect is quite wrong. However, changing the number to 0 or 100% results in hair floating well above the head of the character.

The one hair that it recognized as being Follower/Hair, so far, was OOT Rasta Tails -- which I converted from G3 to G8 with the previous editon of the hair converter. And even then, after converting to G9, the scalp was malpositioned, and the actual tails are too far forward on the cranium -- on the top of the head instead of toward the back.

And yes, Big Afro Hair has lots of geometry.

Post edited by vwrangler on

vwrangler said:

RiverSoftArt said:

vwrangler said:

I'm afraid I'm running into some odd issues as well.

For some reason, even though all the hairs I've selected are showing "Default - hair - short" in their actual metadata, the converter is insisting that they're all "Wardrobe - Unknown". I have no idea why it would be misreading the information this way. I had to uncheck "Check content type" before it would do anything at all.

The script calls the Daz Studio Asset Manager for the type of the filename.  It is what is reported by Daz Studio.

Also, it appears to HATE this hair https://www.daz3d.com/big-afro-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8 -- It got to the "Normalizing weight maps" step, and seemed to get stuck. I left it alone and did something else, just to see what would happen, and about 20 minutes after it started, it finally got past the weight maps and started writing assets.

Interesting.  Perhaps it has a lot of geometry?

My apologies -- I had to move shortly after I made that post, and I'm only just getting back to trying to use the Hair Converter.

So ... what is the Daz Studio Asset Manager, and do you know if there's any way I can get it to understand that my hair is actually hair? The difficulty I'm having with literally everything is as follows:

a) it can't tell what anything really is, as mentioned

The Asset Manager is basically the interface to the database for content in Daz Studio.  Rebuilding the database can usually work to fix this problem (at least for assets from Daz)

b) it all has to go through with Check Content Type option unchecked
    c) when it does do a conversion, everything winds up malpositioned -- usually a bit too low, and the scalp part almost entirely inside the head. Ponytails have ended up on top of the head and forward of where they should be

This is when you play with the Converter Morph to not be -100%

d) The Converter Morph G8M/F is usually dialed to -100% by the converter after conversion, which I strongly suspect is quite wrong. However, changing the number to 0 or 100% results in hair floating well above the head of the character.

This is correct.  The morph to pull the hair down into position will usually be -100%

The one hair that it recognized as being Follower/Hair, so far, was OOT Rasta Tails -- which I converted from G3 to G8 with the previous editon of the hair converter. And even then, after converting to G9, the scalp was malpositioned, and the actual tails are too far forward on the cranium -- on the top of the head instead of toward the back.

And yes, Big Afro Hair has lots of geometry.

I'm having a problem with the short hair conformer. The short hair conformer does not fit closely to the head like the regular hair conformer and extra long hair conformer do. If I convert hair like Winfield's Karla Hair with the short hair conformer (because it is short hair), the converted hair has a bald spot by the part in the hair. If I convert it with the regular hair conformer, it looks much better, but it has a whole bunch of unnecessary bones added where there isn't even any hair.. Why does the shor hair conformer leave bald spots? Skull caps convert especially poorly, with the whole top of the head bald.

Karla Hair Short Conformer.jpg
    1046 x 1067 - 123K
    Karla Hair Regular Conformer.jpg
    936 x 1050 - 119K
  • barbult said:

I'm having a problem with the short hair conformer. The short hair conformer does not fit closely to the head like the regular hair conformer and extra long hair conformer do. If I convert hair like Winfield's Karla Hair with the short hair conformer (because it is short hair), the converted hair has a bald spot by the part in the hair. If I convert it with the regular hair conformer, it looks much better, but it has a whole bunch of unnecessary bones added where there isn't even any hair.. Why does the shor hair conformer leave bald spots? Skull caps convert especially poorly, with the whole top of the head bald.

This would be a @Sickleyield question.  I will pass it on.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited October 2023
    I have no idea. Afaik they're built on exactly the same skull cap base. My best advice would be to use the one that's giving results you prefer.
    Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited October 2023

@SickleYield Here are screenshots of the two conformers visible while I was converting C1 Spiky Hair. The Regular hair conformer fits tightly to the head. The Short Hair conformer appears to be much lower resolution and does not fit the shape of the head closely. It appears to me that that could be the cause of the poorly fitting conversion when I use the Short Hair conformer. It the hair being converted stands far from the skull, the problem is not as noticeable on the converted result. In the case of a close fitting hair with a part, or a skull cap, the problem is very apparent. What do you think?

Regular Hair Conformer fits tightly.jpg
    1420 x 1893 - 739K
    Short Hair Conformer does not fit well.jpg
    1420 x 1893 - 744K

Classic Side Part Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 does not convert properly for me. It is a fibermesh hair (not Daz SBH) on a cap. After conversion, the hair loads onto G9 in about the right place, but then after several seconds, the fibermesh hair falls half way down G9's face. I closed DS and restarted it, but the problem persisted. Any suggestions? (ignore the camera zoom difference on the two screenshots.)

Screenshot 2023-10-02 202755.jpg
    247 x 290 - 14K
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 202725.jpg
    287 x 372 - 15K
  • barbult said:

Classic Side Part Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 does not convert properly for me. It is a fibermesh hair (not Daz SBH) on a cap. After conversion, the hair loads onto G9 in about the right place, but then after several seconds, the fibermesh hair falls half way down G9's face. I closed DS and restarted it, but the problem persisted. Any suggestions? (ignore the camera zoom difference on the two screenshots.)

I'm experiencing the same on quite a few hair sets, not sure if it is because it's fibermesh or dForce.

• DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

I'm experiencing the same on quite a few hair sets, not sure if it is because it's fibermesh or dForce.

Is it a specific conformer or all conformers?  

RiverSoftArt said:

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

All hair conformers (I didn't try beard) produce bad results on the Classic Side Part Hair for G8M. Each conformer produces different bad results, though.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 102304 short conformer at first.jpg
    594 x 702 - 75K
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 102219 short conformer later.jpg
    621 x 637 - 50K
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 102546 Extra Long Conformer at first.jpg
    670 x 662 - 61K
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 114442. Extra Long Conformer Laterjpg.jpg
    585 x 679 - 52K
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 114857 low tail converter at first.jpg
    586 x 746 - 69K
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 114926 low tail converter later.jpg
    534 x 609 - 41K
    edited October 2023

Here's a new problem. I converted dForce Neroli Hair from G8F to G9. The conversion looked good. I saved a scene with the hair on a character When I reopened the saved scene, the hair was above the character's head. The hair cap no longer had the Converter Morph G8F in it. Huh? How did a morph disappear from an item in a saved scene? The Converter Morph G8M is still there and has a value of zero.

The Converter Morph G8D is still in the data folder, and if I reload the converted G9 hair, the morph is present and dialed to -100. The problem occurs when the scene is saved and reopened.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 130121 Converted dForce Hair when converted.jpg
    552 x 574 - 69K
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 130300 Converted dForce Hair flew off when scene reloaded.jpg
    635 x 707 - 79K
  • RiverSoftArt said:

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

My example is dForce Mermaid Hair

MermaidHair.png
    736 x 526 - 81K

barbult said:

Here's a new problem. I converted dForce Neroli Hair from G8F to G9. The conversion looked good. I saved a scene with the hair on a character When I reopened the saved scene, the hair was above the character's head. The hair cap no longer had the Converter Morph G8F in it. Huh? How did a morph disappear from an item in a saved scene? The Converter Morph G8M is still there and has a value of zero.

The Converter Morph G8D is still in the data folder, and if I reload the converted G9 hair, the morph is present and dialed to -100. The problem occurs when the scene is saved and reopened.

Did you save the scene with hair that had been saved, deleted from the scene, and reloaded from the library? It's almost always going to cause problems if you don't.

With the Classic Side Part problem, if it has bad results of some kind with all of the conformers, my inclination is to say that it's just that this one doesn't work. It's breaking when I try to do it with AutoFit without Riversoft's scripts, and when I try it with Transfer Utility by itself, too. Occasionally this does happen with our converters, where we run into a specific item that for reasons we can't figure out just doesn't work.

I went and got the Mermaid hair to try it, but I can't get it to work manually/with Transfer Utility either. With Neroli it worked correctly for me both manually and with the script; with Side Part and Mermaid it just didn't work any way that I tried it. The skull cap fitted with mermaid but the dForce hair would not.

SickleYield said:

barbult said:

Did you save the scene with hair that had been saved, deleted from the scene, and reloaded from the library? It's almost always going to cause problems if you don't.

With the Classic Side Part problem, if it has bad results of some kind with all of the conformers, my inclination is to say that it's just that this one doesn't work. It's breaking when I try to do it with AutoFit without Riversoft's scripts, and when I try it with Transfer Utility by itself, too. Occasionally this does happen with our converters, where we run into a specific item that for reasons we can't figure out just doesn't work.

RE: Neroli, Yes, I closed DS and restarted it, loaded G9 dev and the hair. saved the scene file, and reopened the scene. The hair floats above the head as shown in the screenshot above.

SickleYield said:

I went and got the Mermaid hair to try it, but I can't get it to work manually/with Transfer Utility either. With Neroli it worked correctly for me both manually and with the script; with Side Part and Mermaid it just didn't work any way that I tried it. The skull cap fitted with mermaid but the dForce hair would not.

Thanks for trying Neroli. Did you save the scene and reopen it? That is when the problem happens for me.

edited October 2023

I'm not getting any response here anymore, but I continue to have frustrating problems with the hair converter. The converted hair does not fit morphed characters, but a simple autofit fits fine. This is Swept Wetlook Hair. It is not dForce. It doesn't have a separate cap node, just a cap surface. I converted it, closed DS, opened DS and fit the converted hair to my morphed G9 character. The results were bad, with bald spots. If I render just the cap surface (hair surfaces set to cutout opacity 0), you can see how poorly the conversion fits the character. The problem is not character specific; I tried several, including Daz original characters. It is also not just this hair that has the problem. I know that the converted hair has some additional morphs provided by the conformers, but I have not been successful using those to really make the hair fit the shape of the character's head; that is what the auto generated character head morph should be doing, I think. Is there any help for this poor fitting problem or is it just inherent in the conversion process?

RSSY Hair Converter Results

DS Autofit Results

Swept Wetlook Hair Converted G9 morphed character.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Swept Wetlook Hair Converted G9 cap surface only morphed character.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Swept Wetlook Hair Autofit G9 morphed character.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Swept Wetlook Hair Autofit G9 cap surface only morphed character.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M