[Released] RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    edited February 6

I have the same problem with the Extra Long Hair conformer, that I had in the previous version. The converted hair does not fit the head. If you hide the hair and look at the cap surface, you can see that it does not fit. When looking at all the hair, there is a bare gap on top of the head. Conversions with the Normal Regular Hair confirmer do not have this problem. Why doesn't the Extra Long Hair conformer work? This is OOT Caprice Hair.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 221632 Caprice Hair converted cap does not fit G9.jpg
    1068 x 1181 - 62K
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 221734 Caprice hair converted cap does not fit even with smoothing.jpg
    1233 x 1264 - 76K
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 221906 Caprice Hair converted big gap on top of head even with smoothing.jpg
    1469 x 1443 - 296K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited February 6

I converted OOT 2021-01 Hair with the Normal Regular Hair conformer. The result had a long thick polygon section. I discovered that changing from Base Shape Matching smoothing to Generic smoothing got rid of that. I resaved the converted hair figure with Generic smoothing.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 232340 OOT 2021-01 Hair converted to G9 strange thick strands.jpg
    968 x 1829 - 245K
    edited February 6

Good News! Hairs converted with the updated script now follow character morphs! That is a huge improvement worth a lot. Thank you. Here is OOT 2021-02 Hair on Josie 9. There are a few thick polygon areas that changing smoothing would not fix, but it fits her head correctly.

I have never had any luck with the bones added by the converter. They never seem to be mapped to the correct mesh polygons to actually move the hair in a useful manner. I tried to use them here to swing the hair to the side, because she is leaning, but they just made a mess, so I zeroed them back out.

Josie 9 OOT 2021-02 converted hair.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 863K
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

barbult said:

The update is in DIM now. I installed it. I deleted the old converted data folder and the folder with the duf file. I converted Volta hair for G8M with the Normal Hair conformer. It looks good in the viewport. It no longer gets stuck when posing the character's spine (bend twist side-side). smileyHowever, it won't simulate now. sadWhen I try to run the dForce simulation, it always displays an error and does nothing.

Gotta ask, where tf is the data folder?

edited February 6

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

The update is in DIM now. I installed it. I deleted the old converted data folder and the folder with the duf file. I converted Volta hair for G8M with the Normal Hair conformer. It looks good in the viewport. It no longer gets stuck when posing the character's spine (bend twist side-side). smileyHowever, it won't simulate now. sadWhen I try to run the dForce simulation, it always displays an error and does nothing.

It is a subfolder of the converter output library that you specified in the converter. Don't delete the whole data folder. Open it and delete the data for the hair you want to reconvert.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 143941.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 135K
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 144130.jpg
    909 x 301 - 60K

Here's a short male hair that conversion did a poor job on. https://www.daz3d.com/vintage-male-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-males
    I tried the simple version called Bald (just a cap and some hair) I tried both the short hair conformer and the regular hair conformer. Each conversion took 15-16 minutes. With the short hair conformer, the result put the cap too high and the hair in his stomach. With the regular hair conformer, the cap and hair were both too high. I can't really tell, but it looks like they both might be upside down; they look like devil horns. Do you know what it is about this hair that makes it not work with the RSSY converter?

However, I was able to convert the hair successfully manually (without the RSSY converter) using the Developer Tools utilities.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 033506 Vintage male hair bald conversion 16 min.jpg
    1118 x 823 - 138K
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 151545 vintage male hair bald cap high hair in stomach.jpg
    1186 x 964 - 95K
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 033506 Vintage male hair bald conversion 15 min Regular Hair converter.jpg
    1127 x 826 - 145K
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 151545 vintage male hair bald cap and hair high.jpg
    372 x 912 - 20K
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 162317 manual conversion of vintage bald hair using Dev Tools.jpg
    814 x 790 - 49K
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

barbult said:

Eboshijaana said:

barbult said:

It is a subfolder of the converter output library that you specified in the converter. Don't delete the whole data folder. Open it and delete the data for the hair you want to reconvert.

Ah, derp, yes THAT data folder XD

I cleaned it out already, I was just confused as I think of it as an output folder.

Here is another hair gone badly awry in the converter. https://www.daz3d.com/cute-baby-hairs-for-genesis-8-females
    The conversion took over an hour and the result was too distorted to use. This was another hair that I could manually convert more successfully than by using the converter. Is it the converter conformers that are causing these problems?

Screenshot 2024-02-06 174643 Baby Locks Hairs Curly over 1 hour to convert.jpg
    1546 x 1209 - 225K
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 175221 Baby Locks Hairs Curly result no good.jpg
    870 x 1039 - 177K

When I load a converted dForce hair, like the Volta hair, my DS log is filled with hundreds (probably thousands) of these messages. They are logged every 100 msec. (i.e 10 per second).

2024-02-06 23:07:35.529 [WARNING] :: \src\sdk\include\dztarray.h(166): Index out of range in DzTArray::operator[]

I have yet to find a converted dForce hair that will simulate.

What is wrong?

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,373
    edited February 7

Sickleyield and I have confirmed the dForce problem.  She's come up with a solution; now I have to code it. sad

For the Extra Long Hair conformer, she has provided a new conformer.  That will also be in the update. 

For the baby hair, I am unsure why it is wrong, but its page states "a skull cap, a lower FiberMesh hair layer and an upper FiberMesh hair layer."  That means the script needs to save 3 props and then a wearable; on my system because I have a big library, DS takes quite a while for each save (nothing to do with the script).  Multiply that by 4 and I can see it would take a while.  Also, because it has 2 fibermesh hair layers, that might be causing the script trouble.

BTW, @barbult, thanks for all your hard work on the problem.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • suffo85suffo85 Posts: 157
    edited February 8

I'm not able to get this to convert anything.  Well, sort of.  It converts the hair, but it's never on the actor's head.  It's always floating way above their head, or inside their head.  Ultimately though the hair is never where it's supposed to be.  Am I supposed to disable Redirect Transforms and manually position every (successfully), converted hair?

This is Amelia Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s) - https://www.daz3d.com/amelia-hair-for-genesis-8-females

Converted using "Short" conformer.

hairconverter.png
    1920 x 1080 - 334K
    Post edited by suffo85 on
    edited February 8

I own Amelia hair. I'll try and see what happens.

Yup, Amelia doesn't work with the short hair conformer. The only conformer that ever works fairly reliably for me is the Regular Hair Conformer. Try that one. It will add a bunch of useless bones to the hair (bones where there isn't even any hair) , but you can just ignore them.
    I don't know why the other conformers do such a poor job.

Amelia Hair - Short Hair conformer

Amelia Hair - Regular hair conformer

Bones added to Amelia Hair by the Regular Hair conformer in RSSY converter

Screenshot 2024-02-07 225018 Amelia Hair RSSY Converter to G9 short conformer.jpg
    1033 x 1149 - 148K
    Screenshot 2024-02-07 225226 Amelia Hair RSSY Converter to G9 Regular Conformer.jpg
    884 x 1125 - 126K
    Screenshot 2024-02-07 230328 Bones added to Amelia hair by the Regular Hair conformer.jpg
    1018 x 1512 - 167K
    edited February 8

I tried to mirror the Amelia Hair after converting it to G9. The Mirror Geometry script for G9 runs, but the resulting file is not mirrored. What is wrong?

So, I mirrored the G8 hair successfully and then tried to convert the mirrored G8 hair to G9. That didn't work either, because the hair is now floating way above her head.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 001159 Mirror G8 hair and convert to G9 - too high.jpg
    1144 x 1621 - 224K

I tried the low ponytail conformer with Sprite's YouMei Hair for G8F. That conformer doesn't work either.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 235509 Sprite's YouMei hair low ponytail conformer.jpg
    725 x 1268 - 75K
    edited February 8

I successfully converted Toon Generations Skater Hair and OOT Various Age Bob Hair. I used the Regular Hair converter.

G9 Toon Skater Hair_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    G9 P3D Mia OOT Various Age Bob Hair_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874

Just wonder, what would happen if one delete bones added to Amelia Hair by the Regular Hair conformer in RSSY converter.

There is a free script to delete bones:

http://www.mikededes.com/delete-selected-bones/

Sickleyield is redoing all the conformers.  For some reason, her updates were not in the zip.

If you want to delete bones, I don't see why not.

RiverSoftArt said:

Sickleyield is redoing all the conformers.  For some reason, her updates were not in the zip.

If you want to delete bones, I don't see why not.

Thank you, Sickleyield!

I think I'd better quit converting until the next update is released. With improved conformers and fixed dForce, what I've already done will probably need to be redone anyway. Maybe the new conformers won't leave bald spots anymore (my hope!).

• Is anyone else having trouble with the converter going very slow lately? I've had it get stuck on certain hairs for hours on end, to the point where I've just had to force quit Daz. Any advice?

Is anyone else having trouble with the converter going very slow lately? I've had it get stuck on certain hairs for hours on end, to the point where I've just had to force quit Daz. Any advice?

My conversion of the curly hair in Cute Baby Hairs took over an hour and the distorted result was unusable. I posted about it above. I'm not going to do any more conversion until the product is updated again. I'm hoping that will finally resolve the problems. I don't have any other advice to offer. Some hairs convert in a few minutes and some take 20 minutes to an hour for me. I don't know why. In my experience, hairs that take an hour to convert, autofit in seconds instead.

echristopherclark said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the converter going very slow lately? I've had it get stuck on certain hairs for hours on end, to the point where I've just had to force quit Daz. Any advice?

As you add more and more content (or convert more and more), Daz Studio gets slower and slower at saving.  You might be seeing this and there is nothing that the script can do about it. 

The other reason is that many hairs are multipart hairs with sometimes many pieces.  This means that each "hair" could be something like 4 pieces, which requires saving 5 times (one for each piece and then the final wearable).

• RiverSoftArt said:

echristopherclark said:

As you add more and more content (or convert more and more), Daz Studio gets slower and slower at saving.  You might be seeing this and there is nothing that the script can do about it. 

The other reason is that many hairs are multipart hairs with sometimes many pieces.  This means that each "hair" could be something like 4 pieces, which requires saving 5 times (one for each piece and then the final wearable).

Thank you for that explanation, and apologies if my comment came across too strong at all. Your products have been lifesavers for me and I'm very grateful for all of your hard work.

echristopherclark said:

RiverSoftArt said:

echristopherclark said:

Thank you for that explanation, and apologies if my comment came across too strong at all. Your products have been lifesavers for me and I'm very grateful for all of your hard work.

You're welcome!  It is not a problem.  I too am frustrated by the saving times (imagine my system where I have a ton of content AND all the converters surprise), but I am helpless to do anything about it.

The long time delays seem to be when the script status says it is doing weight mapping.

barbult said:

The long time delays seem to be when the script status says it is doing weight mapping.

Interesting.  I wonder if Daz changed anything?  From the viewpoint of the script, this is an atomic operation.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited February 15

RiverSoftArt said:

barbult said:

Interesting.  I wonder if Daz changed anything?  From the viewpoint of the script, this is an atomic operation.

ATOMIC !!! I KNEW IT !! YOU ARE TRYING TO BLOW US UP RIVERSOFTART !! I KNEW IT !!

Post edited by carrie58 on

carrie58 said:

RiverSoftArt said:

barbult said:

ATOMIC !!! I KNEW IT !! YOU ARE TRYING TO BLOW US UP RIVERSOFTART !! I KNEW IT !!

My avatar looks somewhat like a mad scientist... did you expect something different?!?!?! devil

carrie58 said:

RiverSoftArt said:

barbult said:

My avatar looks somewhat like a mad scientist... did you expect something different?!?!?! devil

RiverSoftArt said:

barbult said:

When I get a chance, I'll run it again and save the log. Maybe what I see on the status screen doesn't tell the whole story. Or maybe I remember wrong, but I don't think so.