[Released] RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• carlosgimperacarlosgimpera Posts: 82
    edited June 2023

Bought it instantly. Converted some hairs testing all types. Strand-based hair looks to be converted but after conversion- at least for me, first time running it- there's no directory to find them. I'll RTFM. One of the first was the WF Dalila Hair which had strange broken bones when auto-fitting to G9. Seems like it got rid of broken bones.laugh

So far working fine for me. Great product!

Post edited by carlosgimpera on
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,372

emrys3d said:

Just bought it and excited to use it.... though at the moment I am probably doing something wrong, but I am getting this every time I try converting any hair.
    I am following the PDF, and when I did the character converter thing you did, I didnt have any issues, but this no matter what hair I am trying to add I keep getting this issue. Like said, good chance I am having some setting wrong, but can't figure out why it does that, any suggestions?

From the manual:

The Hair Converter dialog does not show some hair items when adding to the list. The Hair Converter script automatically filters out all presets that do not have a content type of Follower/Hair. This is by design to avoid unknown files as this script has been carefully crafted to try and convert hair without errors as much as possible. If you are absolutely positive that a file is a hair item, you can turn off the Check Content Type option and use the Add Files… button to add those files. If you turn this option off, any file will be added. On execution, the script will load the file, whatever it is and whatever it does. The script will still only convert items that are hair on execution. Turning this option off is ONLY recommended if you are having trouble getting the script to recognize specific hair files.

Note: Turning this option off will slow conversion because of loading a lot of false positives. You also must be very sure of which files you add to the dialog. This option does not affect the Add Directory button

w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

Thanks for this! Purchased already. It was a no-brainer after the fantastic support on clothing converter in the last few weeks.

I think you mean character converter, but thanks for the support @w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e!  smiley

@pcw5150 and @Saidge42 

emrys3d said:

Just bought it and excited to use it.... though at the moment I am probably doing something wrong, but I am getting this every time I try converting any hair.
    I am following the PDF, and when I did the character converter thing you did, I didnt have any issues, but this no matter what hair I am trying to add I keep getting this issue. Like said, good chance I am having some setting wrong, but can't figure out why it does that, any suggestions?

I am also seeing this error intermittently. Some hair converts and some won't and can't add to the queue to try force convert.  

From the manual:

The Hair Converter dialog does not show some hair items when adding to the list. The Hair Converter script automatically filters out all presets that do not have a content type of Follower/Hair. This is by design to avoid unknown files as this script has been carefully crafted to try and convert hair without errors as much as possible. If you are absolutely positive that a file is a hair item, you can turn off the Check Content Type option and use the Add Files… button to add those files. If you turn this option off, any file will be added. On execution, the script will load the file, whatever it is and whatever it does. The script will still only convert items that are hair on execution. Turning this option off is ONLY recommended if you are having trouble getting the script to recognize specific hair files.

Note: Turning this option off will slow conversion because of loading a lot of false positives. You also must be very sure of which files you add to the dialog. This option does not affect the Add Directory button

RexRed said:

I created a new folder parallel to the My Daz 3D Library and named it "8to9 Hair",

At first, I did not add the 8to9 Hair directory to my runtimes. A lot of hair items were created but they did not show up in smart content.

Once I added the folder, 8to9 Hair to my Daz runtimes, then the hair I converted after that had items being placed into a folder called, "data".

I assume these new hair items will now show up in smart content. I also figure that I need to now go back and reconvert the other hair items.

My question is, will I run into other problems using this directory that is parallel to my Daz 3D library?

The full path to my new hair directory is, D:\8to9 Hair

The full path to My Daz 3D Library directory is, D:\My Daz 3D Library

I did not want to put the new hair items into a folder in documents becasue the documents folder is on a drive that has a small amout of free space. 

I only have 475 Gen 8 male hair items to convert. laugh

Daz happily lets you have multiple folders for your content.  If you did not install (through DIM, Daz Connect, etc) those hairs in D:\8to9 Hair, the Daz database will not have smart content for those files and the script will not detect them as it looks for the metadata about a file.  You will have to add them like in the manual:

The Hair Converter dialog does not show some hair items when adding to the list. The Hair Converter script automatically filters out all presets that do not have a content type of Follower/Hair. This is by design to avoid unknown files as this script has been carefully crafted to try and convert hair without errors as much as possible. If you are absolutely positive that a file is a hair item, you can turn off the Check Content Type option and use the Add Files… button to add those files. If you turn this option off, any file will be added. On execution, the script will load the file, whatever it is and whatever it does. The script will still only convert items that are hair on execution. Turning this option off is ONLY recommended if you are having trouble getting the script to recognize specific hair files.

necroscension said:

Check - not all hairs will convert

Check - hair parts should convert

Check - beards that convert may break

I'm actually excited for this one. Does this fix the problem when certain transferred hairs, after saving and reopening a scene, the hair separates from the skull cap?

Oh, and already bought and using it... I might get my answer before you see this...

I am not sure about the hair separating from the skull cap.  Multipart hair works so it should work the same as the G8 version.

RexRed said:

emrys3d said:

RexRed said:

I created a new folder parallel to the My Daz 3D Library and named it "8to9 Hair",

At first, I did not add the 8to9 Hair directory to my runtimes. A lot of hair items were created but they did not show up in smart content.

Once I added the folder, 8to9 Hair to my Daz runtimes, then the hair I converted after that had items being placed into a folder called, "data".

I assume these new hair items will now show up in smart content. I also figure that I need to now go back and reconvert the other hair items.

My question is, will I run into other problems using this directory that is parallel to my Daz 3D library?

The full path to my new hair directory is, D:\8to9 Hair

The full path to My Daz 3D Library directory is, D:\My Daz 3D Library

I did not want to put the new hair items into a folder in documents becasue the documents folder is on a drive that has a small amout of free space. 

I only have 475 Gen 8 male hair items to convert. laugh

Did you put all the hair you wanted to convert into that new folder? 

I have a good numbert of hair assets that crash Daz during the converting process.

Daz freezes and leaves orphen assets in the scene. You can't delete them or invoke a new scene. When I close Daz, it crashes and the Daz bug report (that doesn't submit right) pops up. When I return back into the converter, the converter did not save my progress so I am left parcing through nearly 500 hair assets to figure out what got converted and what did not. 

On a positive note, a lot of hair assets did convert right.

My suggestion is, if you get this functioning, do each hair asset one by one.

Batch converting is, IMPOSSIBLE.

There is a bug in Daz Studios AssetIOMgr and its save method, which can cause it to crash.  It would crash a lot on specific hairs for me.  This was happening INSIDE a Daz Studio call so there is not much I can do about it.  However, I figured out that I am able to get it to work on my machine if I have the script pause and process events.  This fix is a hack that may show on even slower machines where they cannot process all the events in time.  Go to data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSG9HairConstants.dsa and open it in a text editor.  There is a variable:

var SAVE_DELAY              = 3000; // 3000 ms = 3 seconds... 

Make it longer. Say 10000?  (10 seconds)

jecswp said:

When I try to use it, it removes the figures eyes.  The log says "Cannot find assets for new preset."  I would share a picture, but of course, I'm unable to upload one angry

Here you go:

The character's eye problems have to be from something else.  Hair does not touch the figure.  However, just in case, could I have the DAZ LOG (Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File) of the conversion process which we have a lot more information.  I only want the part where the Hair script runs and where the hair is being loaded onto a vanilla character in a new scene.  Thanks.

Choppski said:

emrys3d said:

Yep, this is exactly what I am getting for pretty much everything. 

From the manual:

carlosgimpera said:

Bought it instantly. Converted some hairs testing all types. Strand-based hair looks to be converted but after conversion- at least for me, first time running it- there's no directory to find them. I'll RTFM. One of the first was the WF Dalila Hair which had strange broken bones when auto-fitting to G9. Seems like it got rid of broken bones.laugh

So far working fine for me. Great product!

I am glad to hear that!  Thanks for the support. smiley

• jecswpjecswp Posts: 24

RiverSoftArt said:

jecswp said:

When I try to use it, it removes the figures eyes.  The log says "Cannot find assets for new preset."  I would share a picture, but of course, I'm unable to upload one angry

Here you go:

The character's eye problems have to be from something else.  Hair does not touch the figure.  However, just in case, could I have the DAZ LOG (Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File) of the conversion process which we have a lot more information.  I only want the part where the Hair script runs and where the hair is being loaded onto a vanilla character in a new scene.  Thanks.

Thank you for your response.  I have attached the things you requested.  Logs from when the script is run, and then from when I load the converted hair.  Pictures show Olympia in a fresh scene with a view of my settings, then the final result, which is an eyeless figure.  Last picture is what happens when I load the hair.   Any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

txt
    txt
    Execute Script.txt
    Screenshot 2023-06-11 093835.png
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    Screenshot 2023-06-11 094153.png
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    txt
    txt
    Load Hair.txt
    Screenshot 2023-06-11 095448.png
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
  • ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441

RiverSoftArt said:

Choppski said:

emrys3d said:

Yep, this is exactly what I am getting for pretty much everything. 

From the manual:

Thank you, that helped. It's strange though that all my hair except 1 does not have the follower/hair. I mean I have a ton of hair for genesis 8. But it works now. It didn't copy any materials or anything, but that's fine as they still apply. Somehow I thought it would copy the other files. 

• emrys3demrys3d Posts: 45

RiverSoftArt said:

emrys3d said:

From the manual:

The Hair Converter dialog does not show some hair items when adding to the list. The Hair Converter script automatically filters out all presets that do not have a content type of Follower/Hair. This is by design to avoid unknown files as this script has been carefully crafted to try and convert hair without errors as much as possible. If you are absolutely positive that a file is a hair item, you can turn off the Check Content Type option and use the Add Files… button to add those files. If you turn this option off, any file will be added. On execution, the script will load the file, whatever it is and whatever it does. The script will still only convert items that are hair on execution. Turning this option off is ONLY recommended if you are having trouble getting the script to recognize specific hair files.

Thanks, that worked. I guess maybe had something to do with me installing things manually intead of using DIM, so may not have the Meta Data stuff always there as I dont use Smart Content, so looks like it is all sorted now and its working perfectly, thanks for your help :)

• jecswp said:

RiverSoftArt said:

jecswp said:

Here you go:

Thank you for your response.  I have attached the things you requested.  Logs from when the script is run, and then from when I load the converted hair.  Pictures show Olympia in a fresh scene with a view of my settings, then the final result, which is an eyeless figure.  Last picture is what happens when I load the hair.   Any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

Have you tried converting with a plain Genesis 9 figure first? I have been using the G9 Dev Load to tackle the hair converting. Once the hair has converted, then try loading your new hair to your figure.

• jecswpjecswp Posts: 24

necroscension said:

jecswp said:

RiverSoftArt said:

jecswp said:

Here you go:

Have you tried converting with a plain Genesis 9 figure first? I have been using the G9 Dev Load to tackle the hair converting. Once the hair has converted, then try loading your new hair to your figure.

@necroscension You know, I tried three or four figures, but I never tried the Dev Load Figure.  That worked!  Converted and loaded perfectly.  That will be my workflow from now on. 

@RiverSoftArt Thank you for the amazing product.  I just had to learn how to use it properly.  Consider my problem solved.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

The hair line looks kinda off tho.

I am finding I have issues with some facial hair--depending on the face morph.

That said, one reason I bought this is that when I autofit hair to g9, saving often takes like 10-15 minutes for some reason. I tested it and with converted hair, it zips. So even if I have to autofit facial or body hair (haven't tried body hair yet), at least I can use head hair and cut down on save time.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874

Laurita said:

The hair line looks kinda off tho.

I think, one can improve fitting, by changing some morphs.

Choppski said:

I am finding I have issues with some facial hair--depending on the face morph.

That said, one reason I bought this is that when I autofit hair to g9, saving often takes like 10-15 minutes for some reason. I tested it and with converted hair, it zips. So even if I have to autofit facial or body hair (haven't tried body hair yet), at least I can use head hair and cut down on save time.

Yes, this is the advantage of the converted hairs and clothes.

Besides that, saved scene files take less space, than with the autofitted items.

Fyi, what I have noticed with facial hair is that adjusting the converter file regarding the converter for genesis 8 male can help. But it won't do facial expressions.

• RiverSoftArt said:

w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

Thanks for this! Purchased already. It was a no-brainer after the fantastic support on clothing converter in the last few weeks.

I think you mean character converter, but thanks for the support @w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e!  smiley

Err, yep - apologies. Note to self: don't post whilst imbibing malt whisky... 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,191

I don't know if this will help but I used this on my content and now I get MUCH fewer conversion conflicts.

[Daz Studio] Clean up your content database!

Be sure to follow this to the letter.

Let me know if it helps!

smiley

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited June 2023

I'm afraid I'm running into some odd issues as well.

For some reason, even though all the hairs I've selected are showing "Default - hair - short" in their actual metadata, the converter is insisting that they're all "Wardrobe - Unknown". I have no idea why it would be misreading the information this way. I had to uncheck "Check content type" before it would do anything at all.

Also, it appears to HATE this hair https://www.daz3d.com/big-afro-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8 -- It got to the "Normalizing weight maps" step, and seemed to get stuck. I left it alone and did something else, just to see what would happen, and about 20 minutes after it started, it finally got past the weight maps and started writing assets.

Post edited by vwrangler on

Afro hairs are tricky to get converted - I have a problems with some of them.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Hello Sickle

I have a problem: the converter don't find any hair ! They are considered as pose or material (see pictures). I don't know where to look and I tried with "check ..." option unticked without any success 

I install with DIM and then move the files to my customized folders

G3F hair converter didn't have this problem but it must be my fault :-)

Thanks for your help

hair converter.jpg
    1542 x 481 - 225K
    hair converter2.jpg
    1572 x 559 - 197K
  • The converted hair appears on the side of the character when I try to use it. I had the character selected when converting the hair so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Screenshot (205).png
    1497 x 761 - 157K