Hot New (Northern) Season, New Sales Thread: Report Issues Here "Reporting Only"

Comments

• Jorune2112 said:

So you feel that saying "an extra 10%" and "an extra 10 percentage points" are saying different things? The former uses a symbol, the latter spells out that symbol. They mean the same thing.

If people didn't routinely have problems figuring out Daz sales, you could get a pass. But there is no doubt that Daz marketing is built around hard to parse sales. Check out the current Unity asset store BF sale. Pretty straightforward.

Instead of making us artists do the math, why not just saying tokens now give 5.5% off your order? Is it because saying an extra 10% looks sexier? Despite being opaque?

Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

No way around it, the wording is incorrect. For whatever reason, Daz marketing has chosen to make sales opaque. The most recent even says put items in your cart and see the savings. Which is to say they know we can't even follow it.

If it had been intended to icnease the discount from 5% per token to 15% per token the wording would have been "an extra 10 percentage points". An extra 10% indeed means to increase the discount value by 10% of its initial value, from 5% per token to 5.5%. This is not Daz being clever, it is what the words mean.

https://marketbusinessnews.com/financial-glossary/percentage-point-definition-meaning/

• The most important thing about marketing is that people understand what is on offer.

• A number of items that are permanently free are showing as $0.50:

All the Daz Bridges, Hexagon Beta, the Using Auto-fit tutorials, FREE Textures for Heartbeat Hair, Free Stand, and even Daz Studio 4.5+ SDK

• Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

So you feel that saying "an extra 10%" and "an extra 10 percentage points" are saying different things? The former uses a symbol, the latter spells out that symbol. They mean the same thing.

If people didn't routinely have problems figuring out Daz sales, you could get a pass. But there is no doubt that Daz marketing is built around hard to parse sales. Check out the current Unity asset store BF sale. Pretty straightforward.

Instead of making us artists do the math, why not just saying tokens now give 5.5% off your order? Is it because saying an extra 10% looks sexier? Despite being opaque?

Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

No way around it, the wording is incorrect. For whatever reason, Daz marketing has chosen to make sales opaque. The most recent even says put items in your cart and see the savings. Which is to say they know we can't even follow it.

If it had been intended to icnease the discount from 5% per token to 15% per token the wording would have been "an extra 10 percentage points". An extra 10% indeed means to increase the discount value by 10% of its initial value, from 5% per token to 5.5%. This is not Daz being clever, it is what the words mean.

https://marketbusinessnews.com/financial-glossary/percentage-point-definition-meaning/

So happy you pointed this out, which is the common problem everyone's been saying in these forums. Why do we need a business degree to figure out Daz sales? To quote your article, "people commonly confuse the two". So do you have an article you could also point out that says confusing sales are great marketing tools?

You just might be out of touch with your customer base.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

So happy you pointed this out, which is the common problem everyone's been saying in these forums. Why do we need a business degree to figure out Daz sales? To quote your article, "people commonly confuse the two". So do you have an article you could also point out that says confusing sales are great marketing tools?

• miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

A number of items that are permanently free are showing as $0.50:

All the Daz Bridges, Hexagon Beta, the Using Auto-fit tutorials, FREE Textures for Heartbeat Hair, Free Stand, and even Daz Studio 4.5+ SDK

And some are more expensive -- even those that have "Free" in the title. For example the Look at my Hair FREE Player is $1.00

• miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Sent in a query, though obviously I have no idea when it is likely to be seen.

• Jorune2112 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Jorune2112 said:

DAZ doesn't understand the K.I.S.S. principle 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,687

Hi y'all, now the token advertisement seems to be even more incorrect: It says tokens give 20% extra off today, but I left a cart yesterday with 2 tokens applied, and the price is exactly the same, with the token counter showing them giving 12% off. Hm, maybe someone at DAZ should really have a closer look at this? Cheers!

• tsroemi said:

Hi y'all, now the token advertisement seems to be even more incorrect: It says tokens give 20% extra off today, but I left a cart yesterday with 2 tokens applied, and the price is exactly the same, with the token counter showing them giving 12% off. Hm, maybe someone at DAZ should really have a closer look at this? Cheers!

Should be

• Discount tokens are 20% more valuable (6% off items per token instead of 5%)

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,687

Cris Palomino said:

tsroemi said:

Should be

Mwahaha, this is just hilarious ... Thanks for clarifying, and have a nice day! 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418

Cris Palomino said:

tsroemi said:

Should be

And they call this 'Super Token Weekend'?! I am deeply impressed...

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 526
    edited November 2023

Charlie Judge said:

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

And some are more expensive -- even those that have "Free" in the title. For example the Look at my Hair FREE Player is $1.00

This seems really bad since the artist offers it for free so that you can use it for his animals in the store. I doubt he started charging for it now, especially with free written all over the product. Who's getting the dollar?

Post edited by Shimrian on
  • While I don't think it qualifies as deceptive, not if the actual discounts reflect properly in the cart (and as far as I can tell they are), but I do think that the sale-page copy often exploits our mental tendency to just want to add discount percentages together: "Oh, hey, a 20% improvement on a 5% discount, that's 25%! Cool!" But that's hardly ever the case here. They almost always calculate additional discounts as percentages OF percentages.

The feature-sale page today currently says "All tokens give 20% more discounts," which is (perhaps deliberately) ambiguous, but not wrong.

Fortunately since twenty percent is one-fifth and the tokens work in multiples of five percent, the math is nice and easy:

One token, normally five percent off, is this weekend 5% plus one-fifth OF 5% (1%), so it becomes 6%.

Two tokens, usually 10%, becomes 12% off.

Three tokens: 15% becomes 18%. Four: 20% becomes 24%. Five: 25% becomes 30%. Six: 30% becomes 36%. Seven: 35% becomes 42%. Eight: 40% becomes 48%.

• Shimrian said:

Charlie Judge said:

This seems really bad since the artist offers it for free so that you can use it for his animals in the store. I doubt he started charging for it now, especially with free written all over the product. Who's getting the dollar?

Fixing it is going to be fiddly. If you absolutely need one of the products this weekend I would hope a Sals Support ticket would get it refunded, the issue itself should be dealt with on Monday as Daz is aware.

• DarkEleganceDarkElegance Posts: 356
    edited November 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Shimrian said:

Charlie Judge said:

Fixing it is going to be fiddly. If you absolutely need one of the products this weekend I would hope a Sals Support ticket would get it refunded, the issue itself should be dealt with on Monday as Daz is aware.

Fiddly you say?

Why praytell, how "fiddly" is it?
    Is it beyond the scope of a american style keyboard?

I am but a poor customer that has posts removed due to "making a speculative accusations of improper conduct", So I am too daft to know such matters.
    Much less not valued enough to have an opinion that should be seen by others eyes.

*Btw, that...is not "making an accusation" that is stating an actual FACT*

Oh and just incase DAZ wishes to make any "speculative accusations of improper conduct" against me, I have screenshot this and the post it is in reply too. Silly thing to do I know. But, hey, have to keep those "speculative accusations" to a minimum!

Post edited by DarkElegance on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Tokens, which expire tomorrow, are said to grant 20% more, but that's not what they're doing to my cart at all.

There are no asterisks with special rules... it just says All Tokens give 20% more Discounts.

Why does it say that? It truly isn't working for me?

So my tokens are just done already, I take it?

Sucks

• Shimrian said:

Charlie Judge said:

I will attempt to agree with this post once more.

Dartanbeck said:

Tokens, which expire tomorrow, are said to grant 20% more, but that's not what they're doing to my cart at all.

There are no asterisks with special rules... it just says All Tokens give 20% more Discounts.

Sucks

Because once we apply them to the cart, there is no going back

• Dartanbeck said:

Sucks

Oh! It means one token, normally 5% is now...6%

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,284

Dartanbeck said:

Dartanbeck said:

Sucks

There is going back. You just have to use the + and - signs, get it back to 0 tokens, and hit "apply". 

DarkElegance said:

Dartanbeck said:

Sucks

Oh! It means one token, normally 5% is now...6%

Then why doesn't it say that?

joanna said:

Dartanbeck said:

Dartanbeck said:

Sucks

There is going back. You just have to use the + and - signs, get it back to 0 tokens, and hit "apply". 

Thanks. Truly.

But since I don't get paid until after the Tokens are over, same boat.

Overexaggeration complete. I'm calm now. Back pain... makes me grumpy!

Thanks for the info, folks! Got me some cool new old gear!!! :)

Really nice to get these gems out of my wish list and into my library, where they belong! :)

Rosie's going to Love these!!! :)

Awww... Finally!!! I've wanted Rosie to have this Gumi Nanobot and Jetpack ForEver!!!

Cool Freaking Gun and other Cool Tools Too!!!

edited November 2023

FYI - These older Uzelite products work Great in Iray with a little Surface Love!

The maps are So Good!!! As are the meshes!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited November 2023

This is Perfect for Rosie too! Take off the pockets and Crop out the midrif and it has Rosie written All Over It!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Reminrder: This thread is for reporting sales problems. Please use the discussion thread for discussions of sales.

This discussion has been closed.