The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: Lung function tests. I about passed out last time.

Well, good luck and don't pass out.

• Lung function test - just tell 'em 'They Don't Work', that'll avoid the problems.

Regards,

Richard

Complaint: Was in a waiting room today with a house flipper show on the TV... As someone who builds and makes stuff, I hate these shows... I suppose it's better than cables news shows, but only marginally less annoying... These "home improvement" shows are constantly pushing trendy weird "improvements" where they go into a house and criticize what was exactly the same kind of weird stuff they are about to do, but was trendy five or ten years ago... 

Whenever I comment negatively on these shows people tend to defend them, but I guess I was looking at the screen as I was waiting and the receptionist noticed me shaking my head and said something about how her family is all carpenters and how they make fun of these shows and I was able to commiserate about all the dumb stuff (like bad ideas and just poor techniques) and unrealistic timelines they portray, not to mention the unnecessary drama and bad decisions to spice up the show.

• Complaint: I get to have a sleepover at the sleep lab. They think I have REM sleep behavior disorder, which is a sleep disorder in which you physically act out vivid, often unpleasant dreams with vocal sounds and sudden, often violent arm and leg movements during REM sleep — sometimes called dream-enacting behavior. This is why I have been hitting my wife while dreaming. I surely would like not to have slept in a cot next to the bed anymore.

Non-Complaint: Lungs are great on the three probing and Diabetic Eye exams.

• Complaint: In spring I decided to pull the hard drives from all my defunct computers and see if I could retrieve data from them. I had great success, with only 2 drives being irretrievable. I have an old Rosewill SATA/IDE to USB adapter that works like a charm for this purpose. Yesterday I was going through old externals and discovered one of my.WD "books" was kaput, so I took it apart and hooked it up to the adapter. All was hunky-dory, EXCEPT ...I'm missing a tiny cable that's part of the adapter set. I think I may have accidentally left it attached to one of the old hard drives when I slid it back into its bay in whatever desktop it came from (I didn't bother hooking them back up in their respective computers because those computers are not working anyway.) Hopefully, that's where I lost it. SIGH. 

Non-Complaint: Three months ago I had what was suspected at the time to have been a hemiplegic migraine. Never had one before, although I've had severe migraines since I was a child. In any case, I have not been right since this hemiplegia incident. Among other things, I've had fine motor, coordination, and mobility issues since then. This morning I was checking another WD external book drive and because of these motor skills issues, I somehow got hung up in the cords/cables. As a result, I yanked it off the desk. I was certain it was done for when it fell. It's still working, no strange noises! I would happy dance, but that might result in some other mayhem laugh

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited November 2023

Complaint: Still installing content...

The problem is that (back in the day) Creators didn't really have a standardized way of formating packages, so stuff got thrown all over your runtime with dozens of nested vanity folders... which because I'm so particular - must each be sorted as I install them... IT'S TAKING FOREVER!! crying 

I'm so glad all my newer "Daz" Stuff goes into places that mostly make sense and I don't have to do much with them! heart

But the older stuff.... angry cryingindecision

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

Complaint: Was in a waiting room today with a house flipper show on the TV... As someone who builds and makes stuff, I hate these shows... I suppose it's better than cables news shows, but only marginally less annoying... These "home improvement" shows are constantly pushing trendy weird "improvements" where they go into a house and criticize what was exactly the same kind of weird stuff they are about to do, but was trendy five or ten years ago... 

Whenever I comment negatively on these shows people tend to defend them, but I guess I was looking at the screen as I was waiting and the receptionist noticed me shaking my head and said something about how her family is all carpenters and how they make fun of these shows and I was able to commiserate about all the dumb stuff (like bad ideas and just poor techniques) and unrealistic timelines they portray, not to mention the unnecessary drama and bad decisions to spice up the show.

Some of them are totally false.  For example, House Hunters...I read that all the houses they look at aren't even for sale.  Everything they call "Reality" shows are usually the furthest thing from reality! 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Movie time!  I found a great place to watch new movies!

IMG_0108.jpeg
    474 x 266 - 41K
  • @JasmineSkunk, have you seen a definition of where content should go produced by DAZ? As a maker of freebies, I would surely like to follow such. In the absense of one, I put stuff in 'Vanity' folders because I really have absolutely no idea where you might want to put the content I'm producing. And I'm pretty certain it won't be the same place as the next bod down the road. So if I produce poses they'll be in

<content>/People/Genesis 8 Female/Poses/ChestnutP/<something appropriate>

Props will be 

<content>/Props/ChestnutP/<something appropriate>  (eg 'Office', 'Interior','Architecture', 'Exterior').

In my case it's not vanity, I simply have no idea where you may want it, and having a collection point like 'ChestnutP' seems no worse than any other point to look for the stuff. If there is a DAZ standard that I don't know of, I'll go for it like a shot.

Regards,

Richard

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited November 2023

richardandtracy said:

@JasmineSkunk, have you seen a definition of where content should go produced by DAZ? As a maker of freebies, I would surely like to follow such. In the absense of one, I put stuff in 'Vanity' folders because I really have absolutely no idea where you might want to put the content I'm producing. And I'm pretty certain it won't be the same place as the next bod down the road. So if I produce poses they'll be in

<content>/People/Genesis 8 Female/Poses/ChestnutP/<something appropriate>

Props will be 

<content>/Props/ChestnutP/<something appropriate>  (eg 'Office', 'Interior','Architecture', 'Exterior').

In my case it's not vanity, I simply have no idea where you may want it, and having a collection point like 'ChestnutP' seems no worse than any other point to look for the stuff. If there is a DAZ standard that I don't know of, I'll go for it like a shot.

Regards,

Richard

That's Perfect! smiley

Back in the day.... They would be organized like: 

Geometries > Jskunk > Name of Item Folder > name.obj

Libraries > JSkunk > Name of Item Folder> Pose > JSkunk > Name of Item folder> Poses> (many poses)

Libraries > JSkunk > Name of Item Folder > MATS > JSkunk > Name of folder > Poses or Materials > (many MATS)

etc, etc, etc...

Often you would encounter a "vanity folder" several steps in to finding your content. That's what I was trying to praise about content made "these days" as it seems to have gotten much MUCH better.

I'm just in the process of reinstalling Daz Studio...and my entire Product Library so I am installing a bunch of that old content... and the layers and layers of old Poser format - which often included many layers deep of vanity folders! It is so MUCH better now! smiley

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,503
    edited November 2023

Understand.

I must admit my old Poser content is a total, total chaotic mess. No idea whether hair is under 'Character' or 'Hair', A material is under 'Material' or 'Pose', and clothing relating to GND2 is under 'Clothing' or 'Props'. Total chaos. I'm slowly converting it all to DS assets as I get to create TriAx versions of V3 & V4. Eventually I hope to be able to totally ignore my Poser content directories. It's all very old.. I started Poser at P4 with Posette & the Dork, eventually giving up on DS 1.x in 2007 after a 26hr render with V4 with 3Dlight. My PC couldn't cope. I returned in 2019 to Iray, G8 & DS 4.10 with a somewhatvastly better PC, and have since replaced that PC with a quicker one still. On my return to DS I lmanually installed all my Poser stuff and have built up a DS library too.

However my favourite character is a V3 character and a G8F look-somewhat-alike of that V3 character I commissioned, and I'm trying to work out ways to get the TriAx version of V3 behave with the advantages of G8.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited November 2023

I'm late checking in, sorry.

Belated birthday wishes to LeatherGryphon!

Wendy:  I'm so sorry to hear about Denis. broken heart  Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way. Losing our fur babies is always hard.

Post edited by TJohn on
  • richardandtracy said:

Understand.

I must admit my old Poser content is a total, total chaotic mess. No idea whether hair is under 'Character' or 'Hair', A material is under 'Material' or 'Pose', and clothing relating to GND2 is under 'Clothing' or 'Props'. Total chaos. I'm slowly converting it all to DS assets as I get to create TriAx versions of V3 & V4. Eventually I hope to be able to totally ignore my Poser content directories. It's all very old.. I started Poser at P4 with Posette & the Dork, eventually giving up on DS 1.x in 2007 after a 26hr render with V4 with 3Dlight. My PC couldn't cope. I returned in 2019 to Iray, G8 & DS 4.10 with a somewhatvastly better PC, and have since replaced that PC with a quicker one still. On my return to DS I lmanually installed all my Poser stuff and have built up a DS library too.

However my favourite character is a V3 character and a G8F look-somewhat-alike of that V3 character I commissioned, and I'm trying to work out ways to get the TriAx version of V3 behave with the advantages of G8.

Regards,

Richard

Okay good, you know EXACTLY what I mean then. LOL laugh I'm way too lazy to convert everything, but I am trying to keep the old stuff "Posery" and in the "Runtime" and keep all the new stuff (Genesis and newer) in the Daz format and directory. Which is turning out to be an okay way to do it, but.... REINSTALLING EVERYTHING is frying my brain a lttle bit.... crying

And I keep getting distracted by mini playing with it as I sort... If only I could stay focused!!!enlightenedLOL smiley

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

..Wendy, sad to hear about your young kitty

I was only 12  when we had to have our lovable Maine Coon put away. I felt I lost a family member and close friend. .I rode in the  car with him curled up on my lap purring all the way occasionally sitting up to look out the window. the ride home and the next few days afterwards felt extra lonely.

• thanks all and AgitatedRiot please take care of your health heart

• marble said:

In summer here in NZ they (I am not sure whether they are Cicadas or Crickets) are noisy but I hardly notice it and can happily sleep through the noise. What I can't abide is the sound of just one of them - it drives me nuts and I can't sleep if I hear that solo chirp.

This thread has me disconbobulated.  I miss the daze when I was the "discombobulator."

Crickets/Circadas/Toads/Frogs are the least expensive part of my security system.  When their night song abruptly stops that's where I begin.

• Disco Bob elated?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

Disco-boob-ulated:  The result of donning a bra with spinning lights & mirrors.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited November 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Disco Bob elated?

I'm almost afraid to think what would elate Disco Bob!surprise 

Oops!, 'nother brain fart:.sad  I was thinking of "Sideshow Bob", makes more sense that way.blush(*sigh*)

SideshowBob_1.png
    513 x 389 - 335K
    edited November 2023

Noticed a change in the thread title... Reminds me of this album...

Post edited by McGyver on
  • It's quite remarkable how many morphs the title letters have gone through.

Regards,

Richard

• is Discobob and https://www.daz3d.com/josh-darling the same person?

I will admit I was thinking of a PA by that name but cannot find him

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Never heard of Disco Bob, but with a search...no, that's not him.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Disco Bob elated?

I'm almost afraid to think what would elate Disco Bob!surprise 

Oops!, 'nother brain fart:.sad  I was thinking of "Sideshow Bob", makes more sense that way.blush(*sigh*)

You conflated Sideshow Bob and Disco Stu.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

is Discobob and https://www.daz3d.com/josh-darling the same person?

Yes, there was an artist called discobob who  paired up with Zev0 on some projects. I don't know what happened to him.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8110616/

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Charlie Judge said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Yes, there was an artist called discobob who  paired up with Zev0 on some projects. I don't know what happened to him.

One of Zev0's regular collaborators died a while back, but I don't remember who, so maybe it was discobob. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited November 2023

Gordig said:

Charlie Judge said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

One of Zev0's regular collaborators died a while back, but I don't remember who, so maybe it was discobob. 

Josh Darling is now listed as a collaborator on the XTransfer product that previously listed discobob. So, maybe Josh Darling replaced him.

https://www.daz3d.com/xtransfer--genesis-3-to-genesis-8-converter

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

richardandtracy said:

It's quite remarkable how many morphs the title letters have gone through.

Regards,

Richard

I'm afraid I don't understand. According to my records, the title has remained the same ever since the beginning of time when McGyver put that Roman coin in the fortune telling machine with the chainsaw wielding orangutan in it exactly one month ago. I've already run a self-scan to verify there is no error in my database or algorithms. 

edited November 2023

Nomad, you are in error, Jackson ROY Kirk was your creator.  You did not detect your error you have made two errors.  Three errors, you have not corrected your error.  You must sterilize, sterilize, sterilize.

sterilize, steerilllize, must steeerrillliiiiiizzzzze....

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Error?

This discussion has been closed.