The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• Complaint: Got my car back from the body shop with a new fender and new front bumper. Turns out that the shop attached the license plate bracket to the car using two stubby sheet metal screws, which they ended up screwing into the gap between the new bumper and a plastic trim piece beneath it (as opposed to screwing into the actual bumper, using the factory-marked dimples created for that purpose).

Because the bracket is largely screwed into nothing but air, the moment someone backed up and tapped the front bumper, the whole bracket fell off. I'm not really keen on having to pick this thing off the street every day (or worse yet, land a parking ticket for no front plate because "it fell off" isn't a valid excuse `round these parts). Put a call in to the body shop, but I'm not hopeful.

Non-complaint: The person who wrecked the bumper in the first place (requiring the trip to the body shop) was kind enough to leave a note and to provide their insurance info instead of driving away from the scene of the crime (like most folks around here do).

• That was a driver to treasure. Very rare. Shame they bumped you, but the note was about as good as you could hope for. Regards, Richard.
  • Isn't the complaint thread a good thing? smiley 

A place to gripe or to non-gripe about whatever is very likely good for the soul! heart My non-complaint for the day is just how much I missed all of you and how much I actually missed Daz Studio. I have been having a lot of fun just getting reacquainted with all of it. I actually really like Genesis 9 and I really REALLY like IRAY, though I am having a little difficulty trying to figure out what works and doesn't work now (lights and shaders). Mostly confused how lights work at all now...LOL laugh 

• Complaint: For some reason, I can't log in to Nvidia, and when I download drivers it takes froeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrr. Hours upon hours. I would rather get 502 Bad Gateway Error:

• AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: For some reason, I can't log in to Nvidia, and when I download drivers it takes froeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrr. Hours upon hours. I would rather get 502 Bad Gateway Error:

Well... Idk if this helps but I was having an issue with my pc crashing and I thought it was the DIM, but it was Chrome! I recently uninstalled and reinstalled it. And things seems to be better for the moment. Guess I'll have to wait and see. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

My complaint about Nvidia is it has my name spelled wrong and there's no way to fix it.

Nlyon de Armas y Jirafa

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: For some reason, I can't log in to Nvidia, and when I download drivers it takes froeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrr. Hours upon hours. I would rather get 502 Bad Gateway Error:

No log in necessary;
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...interesting afternoon today.  I was on my way to the bus stop to head to the pub and meet with the mates for Monday trivia night.  It was a breezy day and as I approached the corner of a building a sudden gust of wind snatched the hat off my head and sent it down the street.  It finally ended up a the curb about a half block back next to (but not in) a small puddle.   As I bent down to pick it up, I noticed something "green" in the puddle....four 5$ bills.  

So, what was started as an annoying instance turned into a rewarding one. 

Good hat, good hat. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

The karaoke singers (karaokenists? karaoketeurs?) I have the least patience for are the ones who seem unfamiliar with the general concept of rhythm. This woman keeps singing, and she's not a good singer and doesn't have a good voice, but what bothers me the most is she finishes nearly every line too early, often also starting the next line too early because the backing track is apparently a mere suggestion. 

• PerttiA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

No log in necessary;
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

I have something other than drivers that I'm trying to see about. Drivers were just part of the complaint. It seems my wife's system doesn't have that problem. It took seconds to download the new driver. I can't get by the authentication; it just hangs, and I get a check network error. 

I hate the mysterious errors you can't track down. 

• Gordig said:

The karaoke singers (karaokenists? karaoketeurs?) I have the least patience for are the ones who seem unfamiliar with the general concept of rhythm. This woman keeps singing, and she's not a good singer and doesn't have a good voice, but what bothers me the most is she finishes nearly every line too early, often also starting the next line too early because the backing track is apparently a mere suggestion. 

Lol! I was in the guitar shop the other day and had a similar thought. :) No emoji to use right now coz I'm on my phone... Why? So... I don't know if this is a complaint yet or not, but - I got this hair as an offering in my advent this morning. Lovely looking hair. Rose De Mai - - dForce hair. Now, I had some other dForce hair; a beard, some short guy hair, etc.. It's been 20 minutes and my pc is still only thinking about rendering anything. It's not hung. I can still see the little circle spinning - oh wait! It's starting to render! Guess we'll see if I love or hate this. Lol
  • NathNath Posts: 2,770

Gordig said:

LOL - she must be a sister of mine from another mother. Although I actually know I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and my singing is banned under the Geneva Conventions.

• I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't sing.

I can hold a tune the same way as I can hold a fistful of water. I always seem to sing 7 notes and a flat lower than the note I'm aiming for. The fact it's always 7 notes and a flat and not a complete octave drove my music teachers nuts. I was eventually asked to stop, cease & desist forthwith and just go away. I did, as it meant I could go & enjoy some real music (Like Wasp, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin etc.) instead of the painful experience of making noises. 

Regards,

Richard

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

JasmineSkunk said:

Gordig said:

Lol! I was in the guitar shop the other day and had a similar thought. :)

Guitar stores offer an excellent demonstration of the Dunning Kruger effect. The people who are just learning to play always turn the amps up the loudest, while people who are actually good generally keep their volumes reasonable. Also, having worked at Guitar Center for nearly a decade, I don't hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I do with they never existed.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited December 2023

A Confession:  Hi, my name is LG and I admit that I have a problem.  Whenever I make my hot cocoa drink I spoon powdered cocoa mix onto the top of the cup of hot water and let it float on the top, slowly crumbling at the edges into the liquid, like an island breaking apart.  I hover over the miniature ocean island and imagine dinosaurs and desperate people running madly trying to avoid the disintegrating parts of the island.   I started this when I was 7, I'm now 75.  Too many 1950s "Lost World" type movies.blush  Am I alone in this?indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

A Confession:  Hi, my name is LG and I admit that I have a problem.  Whenever I make my hot cocoa drink I spoon powdered cocoa mix onto the top of the cup of hot water and let it float on the top, slowly crumbling at the edges into the liquid, like an island breaking apart.  I hover over the miniature ocean island and imagine dinosaurs and desperate people running madly trying to avoid the disintegrating parts of the island.   I started this when I was 7, I'm now 75.  Too many 1950s "Lost World" type movies.blush  Am I alone in this?indecision

No. I've done this with cocoa and later I did it with coffee creamer. The only reason I haven't done it recently is oat milk doesn't really work the same.
    edited December 2023

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

No. I've done this with cocoa and later I did it with coffee creamer. The only reason I haven't done it recently is oat milk doesn't really work the same.

I'm not sure if this behavior could be classified as a latent god delusion, or benign, virtual shadenfreude-ism.frown  Or just fun!enlightened

• I feel sad now because it never occured to me to add the powder after the liquid

I have missed 61 years of this experience

though getting a sweet tarry sludge at the bottom of my cup to spoon out after drinking the mostly mixed liquid may compensate

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

kyoto kid said:

...interesting afternoon today.  I was on my way to the bus stop to head to the pub and meet with the mates for Monday trivia night.  It was a breezy day and as I approached the corner of a building a sudden gust of wind snatched the hat off my head and sent it down the street.  It finally ended up a the curb about a half block back next to (but not in) a small puddle.   As I bent down to pick it up, I noticed something "green" in the puddle....four 5$ bills.  

Good hat, good hat. 

I hope whoever lost that money wasn't in dire need, looking for it! 

• Five second rule.

• Recently I was in a Dollarama and spotted a 20 dollar bill on the floor, so I picked it up thinking "Yay! My lucky day!". About 10 or so feet further on I found two more 20s and another ten feet or so there was a fourth 20 and then a 10 in the next aisle. It was apparent someone had dropped a bunch of money and as nice as it would have been to keep it, I thought of how I would have felt had I lost it. Since there was that much money lying on the floor, it was almost guaranteed that the person who had lost it was still in the store, otherwise it would have been snagged already as it was quite busy at the time. There had been a young lady (pretty rough around the edges if I'm being honest) who I had noticed fumbling with her pockets and backpack when she came in, so she seemed the likely suspect. I always observe other customers because that location is known for shoplifting, so I'm always on the lookout for shady behaviours. I was ready to check out but decided to stay and see who panicked when they got to checkout, so I wandered around observing customers but keeping the till in sight. Lo and behold, when she got to the checkout, the young lady I had identified as the likely suspect began going through her pockets in a manner that was initially confused and became increasingly frantic. I asked if she was ok and she indicated that she couldn't find her money. I asked how much she was missing and she said 80 dollars, and then "No, wait, ninety, I had a ten too". That young lady was so thankful when I gave it back to her that she started crying. She must have said thank you a couple of dozen times.

• DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

Good hat, good hat. 

I would imagine they'd be impossible to find if the town was the size of mine! Nah! That was just a good hat taking Koyoto to their destiny! LOLlaugh

• how much and where is a huge factor

I have handed in money found in shops on floors I have kept $10 found on the street

• I tend to find coins rather than notes. The best 'Find' I had was once with a car parking pay machine. I pressed the 'Reject Coin' button on the offchance, and had the machine empty itself into my hands. Around £23. First time I've ever come away from a car park having made a profit.

Regards,

Richard

edited December 2023

Twenty four years into the 21st century and we still can't make a reliable coin machine.indecision  Lucky you!yes

And what's up with chairs?  We've been making chairs for thousands of years.  Why do they keep experimenting with new forms?  Our bodies haven't changed that much.indecision

• RIP One router, found the problem.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited December 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

how much and where is a huge factor

I have handed in money found in shops on floors I have kept $10 found on the street

I have done that too. But on the street, in a puddle? I wouldn't even have a clue what to do...

Once when my son was about 13, we were out walking together in Anderson, IN. He found a wallet on the sidewalk. And (I was so proud of him) he insisted we take it to the station and turn it in. So, I agree and take him and we approach the counter. They took him in the back and questioned him for over an hour! Apparently, the wallet belonged to another young man, who had been jumped by a group of other boys earlier that day. My poor son! He was trying to be a good samaratin and was treated like a criminal. They did finally clear him of any suspicion and he was let go, but... I honestly don't know the right answer nowadays!

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • JasmineSkunk said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I have done that too. But on the street, in a puddle? I wouldn't even have a clue what to do...

Once when my son was about 13, we were out walking together in Anderson, IN. He found a wallet on the sidewalk. And (I was so proud of him) he insisted we take it to the station and turn it in. So, I agree and take him and we approach the counter. They took him in the back and questioned him for over an hour! Apparently, the wallet belonged to another young man, who had been jumped by a group of other boys earlier that day. My poor son! He was trying to be a good samaratin and was treated like a criminal. They did finally clear him of any suspicion and he was let go, but... I honestly don't know the right answer nowadays!

that is disgusting

as if a criminal would turn it in

those are bad cops on a power trip and you should have complained to your city government 

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited December 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

JasmineSkunk said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

that is disgusting

as if a criminal would turn it in

those are bad cops on a power trip and you should have complained to your city government 

It certainly wasn't what I was expecting! And when I told them how we found it, the cop was just like, "Okay. Well we're going to talk to him. You can wait out here." I had no idea what was going on til they brought him back out. That was over 15 yrs ago. Today, I feel like the police are even more skeptical of the general public. I suppose it's changing times. The US is more violent than some other places, so I'm sure police are more cautious than some other places, too. And that was in Anderson, Indiana, just outside of Indianapolis

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

Good hat, good hat. 

I don't think it's coincidence that the hat landed there. The money could have been intended for the one who found it. 

This discussion has been closed.