The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 2023

kyoto kid said:

...sounds like they added AI to the OS. I read in a tech journal that MS is going to do so in an upcoming W11 update...

This is making me consider to just stay on W7 even though it means I can't use a newer version of Daz than the one I currently have (4.21.0.5).as that is the last one which specifies an Nvidia driver which supports 7  .Not going back to glacial CPU rendering.

That wouldn't surprise me... AI: Aggravating Ignorance.  Also it's astounding the number of words it can't flag as misspelled now... earlier today I misspelled a common word badly (forgot what it was by now) but (just changed "but" to "by") spell check was like "bravo for you, you ignorant creative bastard" and ignored the misspelling... so I decided to deliberately misspell over a dozen words to see which ones it corrected... none... including one I accidentally left a space out between.

But on the plus side it underlines in blue every other word I type for some mysterious reason I haven't bothered to look up yet (but it did just change "yet" to "yeet" which is a gen Z slang word for "throw" (like "chuck", "huck" or "heave"), as in "Billy yeeted his little brother over the fence, not realizing it was the lion enclosure, instead of the goat pen."... (it blue-underlined half of that)... soooooo annoying.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:

...sounds like they added AI to the OS. I read in a tech journal that MS is going to do so in an upcoming W11 update...

This is making me consider to just stay on W7 even though it means I can't use a newer version of Daz than the one I currently have (4.21.0.5).as that is the last one which specifies an Nvidia driver which supports 7  .Not going back to glacial CPU rendering.

That wouldn't surprise me... AI: Aggravating Ignorance.  Also it's astounding the number of words it can't flag as misspelled now... earlier today I misspelled a common word badly (forgot what it was by now) but (just changed "but" to "by") spell check was like "bravo for you, you ignorant creative bastard" and ignored the misspelling... so I decided to deliberately misspell over a dozen words to see which ones it corrected... none... including one I accidentally left a space out between.

But on the plus side it underlines in blue every other word I type for some mysterious reason I haven't bothered to look up yet (but it did just change "yet" to "yeet" which is a gen Z slang word for "throw" (like "chuck", "huck" or "heave"), as in "Billy yeeted his little brother over the fence, not realizing it was the lion enclosure, instead of the goat pen."... (it blue-underlined half of that)... soooooo annoying.

People are so annoyed with our AI soon-to-be overlords! LOLlaugh I'm not sure, but assuming resistance is futile, I've decided to befriend them in advance. What do you suppose AI want's as a holiday gift? Artificial socks, perhaps? wink

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...yesterday evening I was wondering if Google didn't add AI to their search routine.  I was trying to look up some background on a local business when it kept adding more words to the search string I had already entered. This of course would have would have changed the target of the search.

I deleted what was in the field would blank the field and started over only to have the same thing happen again. it took several more tries to just get it search for what I had typed in.

Yeah "Aggravating Ignorance" is an apt description..

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Complaint: Looks like the Gateway errors are back for me and the draft auto save seems to not be working reliably.

Yay.

• McGyver said:

Complaint: Looks like the Gateway errors are back for me and the draft auto save seems to not be working reliably.

Yay.

I had the same thing happen to me and was like "huh?" Is this a regular thing? I feel so sorry for the IT guys. They must be ALWAYS working. LOLlaugh

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited December 2023

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

I had the same thing happen to me and was like "huh?" Is this a regular thing? I feel so sorry for the IT guys. They must be ALWAYS working. LOLlaugh

Nope, after business hours, there is only Bert

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7723351/#Comment_7723351

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

If they were...these issues would not continue...unless they're not worth what they get paid.  Then again, without proper setups, things can (and probably will) continue to go wrong.   This seems to have gotten worse in the past year and half or two years.  I've already been censored, so that's all I'll say.  This post may not even be around for long. I don't think it's the fault of the techies...they can only work with what they're given.

• DanaTA said:

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

If they were...these issues would not continue...unless they're not worth what they get paid.  Then again, without proper setups, things can (and probably will) continue to go wrong.   This seems to have gotten worse in the past year and half or two years.  I've already been censored, so that's all I'll say.  This post may not even be around for long. I don't think it's the fault of the techies...they can only work with what they're given.

It depends how drastic the remedy is - a major overhaul, or complete replacement, would be a considerable investment of time and resourcs 9and would have new issues, almost certainly) so a judgement has to be made.

..complaint time:

...according to my account page, my Daz+ account should have lasted through tomorrow 12/02. I just noticed my membership had been moved to "deactivated" status a little over two and a half hours ago today,.Friday.(16:00 local west coast time this afternoon).. 

I was going to let it expire anyway (reasons I won't mention here) but was looking to get as much out of it before it did.  Reading that the expiration was "Dec 2 2023", led me to believe  had today and tomorrow before midnight.(well 23:00 where I live) as this is how sales and coupons in the work in the rest of the commerce world 

Ever since Daz went to the UTC  standard instead of "Daz Time" (Mountain time In the States) It has become confusing as to when certain things expire . Some events/offers do end at midnight in Utah while others in the UK 8 hours ahead.

Rendo and other sites have their "zero hours" at 00:00:00 local time where they are located.

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

It depends how drastic the remedy is - a major overhaul, or complete replacement, would be a considerable investment of time and resourcs 9and would have new issues, almost certainly) so a judgement has to be made.

The places I used to work, if something broke that was my resposibility, I had to fix it!  I wouldn't go home until it was fixed.  I only had to work on a weekend once, from 1995 to 2006!  I made sure things worked as expected before they went live.  Both places were national businesses that had many thousands of customers, and spent lots of money on our product.  We never put something live until it was tested and approved...by the people who would be using it or depending upon it!  We had servers that were in house only, for testing.  They had the same setup as the live systems.  That way, when something was wrong, we didn't have to test several different systems to see what it was doing.  The things that were web dependent were the same...test servers before going live.  With all the errors that are happening, every day of every week of every month, they can't possibly be doing this. 

• apparently the Blender foundation was hit by a DDOS attack

so maybe something sinister is going on in the 3D community at large

every amatuer coder using ChatGPT4 is weapomised these days

...that is not good. 

• DanaTA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

The places I used to work, if something broke that was my resposibility, I had to fix it!  I wouldn't go home until it was fixed.  I only had to work on a weekend once, from 1995 to 2006!  I made sure things worked as expected before they went live.  Both places were national businesses that had many thousands of customers, and spent lots of money on our product.  We never put something live until it was tested and approved...by the people who would be using it or depending upon it!  We had servers that were in house only, for testing.  They had the same setup as the live systems.  That way, when something was wrong, we didn't have to test several different systems to see what it was doing.  The things that were web dependent were the same...test servers before going live.  With all the errors that are happening, every day of every week of every month, they can't possibly be doing this. 

Which sounds as if the companies had considerably greater resources than Daz. And did they run forums at all?

edited December 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

Which sounds as if the companies had considerably greater resources than Daz. And did they run forums at all?

No, no forums...not that that matters.  We are always told that the forums are a separate thing!  They did, however, have online presense, with customers making purchases online.  Come on!  Today, severs aren't that expensive.  And one to just deal with only one software item ("program") at a time doesn't even need that much memory!   

Plus, DAZ has made it a point to tell us they have a great number of customers.  They have these sales every day!  I see posts about what people are buying every day!  In today's financial environment, I can't imagine how they can do that!  But, it sure seems like the money is coming in quite nicely!  They don't require a big overhead, like "brick and mortar" stores.  This is digital.  Files just are copied to the customer.  I'm sure DAZ takes their share before passing the proceeds on to the PAs.

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm pretty sure an old laptop or a new cellphone has enough file storage, memory, and processing power to handle a forum, website, and sales transactions. I wonder if all the file downloading is killing everything else. Maybe if they could separate the file downloads from all the rest then all the rest would work better.

edited December 2023

NylonGirl said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm pretty sure an old laptop or a new cellphone has enough file storage, memory, and processing power to handle a forum, website, and sales transactions. I wonder if all the file downloading is killing everything else. Maybe if they could separate the file downloads from all the rest then all the rest would work better.

Which everything else?  HTML and Javascript don't take a lot of memory at all.  Javascript runs on your computer.  It loads it when it loads the web page.  HTML is basically just text that tells the browser how to display the page.  Again, your computer loads it and runs any scripts on the pages, with the exeption of server specific things. The errors are in the code, and that isn't your fault, it's the fault of those who wrote the code and didn't test it thoroughly.  Admittedly, it is involved to do all that testing, because they have to account for how that code runs on different browsers.  But that's part of their jobs!!! But the server specific code can be tested at the source!  They know what server(s) it will run on.

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • Non-Complaint: Is it wrong to take advantage of a box that was lying against a subwoofer on my 20-year LG sound bar, making a god-awful noise Wife says,do we need a new sound bar? . Now we have a 5.1 surround system hook to my TV and she loves the sound, and she doesn't turn it up all the way. 

Was it wrong? I need justification.cheeky

• Foolish man. Your wife left that box against the sub woofer to make precisely that sound so you would buy a new sound system for her. She's got better things to do than spend hours and hours online looking at response graphs and reading reviews.

You've been had :)

The rest of us might as well stop trying to come up with brilliant plans because we'll never beat that one.

• my awful neighbour has me dogwhipped

I listen to everything fairly low volume and never sing because if she hears me she will immediately play some awful karaoke version of a Chuck Berry song she has ready to go

Forgotten which one as haven't heard it for a while but it's definitely NOT Chuck Berry singing

WendyLuvsCatz said:

my awful neighbour has me dogwhipped

I listen to everything fairly low volume and never sing because if she hears me she will immediately play some awful karaoke version of a Chuck Berry song she has ready to go

Forgotten which one as haven't heard it for a while but it's definitely NOT Chuck Berry singing

First of all, are you and this neighbor the only people in the neighborhood?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2023

NylonGirl said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

my awful neighbour has me dogwhipped

First of all, are you and this neighbor the only people in the neighborhood?

feels like it but , no, my other immediate ones are nice 

I just live next to a mental psychopath

(and do nothing to her BTW but avoid being seen by her)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Foolish man. Your wife left that box against the sub woofer to make precisely that sound so you would buy a new sound system for her. She's got better things to do than spend hours and hours online looking at response graphs and reading reviews.

You've been had :)

Not quite I I opened the box for her and then the cats played with their period next morning I get up boxes are in a different place, cats in the house moving them, and then the next morning Same thing the next morning it was against the speakers and I didn't do anything about it. Thanks kitties for the new sound system.
  • I miss playing kitties broken heart

Lucy just sleeps now, she did play with Denis in spite of his viciousness

she won't play with me, never has

and mostly sleeps on my bed not my lap

Denis never was apart from me, always on lap if I sat, against me on bed, on edge of my bath, in toilet room with me while I  went

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I miss playing kitties broken heart

Lucy just sleeps now, she did play with Denis in spite of his viciousness

she won't play with me, never has

and mostly sleeps on my bed not my lap

Denis never was apart from me, always on lap if I sat, against me on bed, on edge of my bath, in toilet room with me while I  went

heart

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited December 2023

DanaTA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

JasmineSkunk said:

McGyver said:

Yay.

No, no forums...not that that matters.  We are always told that the forums are a separate thing!  They did, however, have online presense, with customers making purchases online.  Come on!  Today, severs aren't that expensive.  And one to just deal with only one software item ("program") at a time doesn't even need that much memory!   

Plus, DAZ has made it a point to tell us they have a great number of customers.  They have these sales every day!  I see posts about what people are buying every day!  In today's financial environment, I can't imagine how they can do that!  But, it sure seems like the money is coming in quite nicely!  They don't require a big overhead, like "brick and mortar" stores.  This is digital.  Files just are copied to the customer.  I'm sure DAZ takes their share before passing the proceeds on to the PAs.

Umm.... okay. heart

I want to preface this by admitting I know abosolutely nothing. smiley But I certainly wasn't trying to stir anything up...

I don't know what Daz has or doesn't have these days. I've been gone awhile...

And - I don't have any experience in IT so I can't speak about that either. But I do know that it can be hard to know what someone else is going through from the outside.

Take me, for example. I have been making purchases because I was gifted with a little cash and instructed to buy something for myself. The reality is, I'm not working right now and my money has been tight, but those around here listening to me gush about things I've purchased, might get a different idea.

Daz3D has been through some changes, for sure. I sure hope they aren't struggling! But even prospering businesses are run by mere humans. I wanted to extend compassion to them with my comment. Mostly because, I for one, can relate to trying to do everything I possibly can "right" and still have everything go horribly wrong. And I genuinely did feel a bit of pity for anyone that was trying to deal with it. heart

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

Paper jam. It could have just said "paper jam".

Canon Printer Error 6004

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited December 2023

But then there wouldn't be the possibility of monetizing the failure of the device you bought from them. Error Code 6004! Phone us! Premium number only! You can't possibly understand the complexity of the failure without the comforting and expensive guidance of our experienced (read: remote, outsourced, minimum third world wage) staff who definitely don't read from a script. Your printer hasn't failed - it's just encountered an unexpected, paper-based intervention mode.

End-stage capitalism. There it is in all its low-rez LCD glory.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited December 2023

Complaint:  I keep three records of my checking account status. 

1) My manually maintained checkbook.

2) My monthly, paper, bank statements.

3) My personal finances spreadsheet.

Every month I try to make sure all three are in sync and balanced equally.  Today I was sorting my pile of IN-BOX papers and realized that I hadn't resolved my checking account for over two months. (*Horrors*)frown  And after re-adding up things since the last "balance" I discovered that all three modes of display had different numbers at the bottom line.  ARGHHHHH....sad  I've sat here for four hours this morning double checking and in one case triple checking the inputs and algorithms trying to decide which one was correct.  (Duh, it was the bank!)**  After I found the other two mistakes on my own records they all now happily report the same number.  Yay!yes   However, it isn't big enough, but at least it's positive and it will have to do.indecision

Lesson Learned:  When you're ancient (or otherwise unable to remember yesterday), don't let your book-keeping slide for more than a month.enlightened

**Note:  Of course "it was the middle one".

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
This discussion has been closed.