The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2023

oh FFS, I moved my older TV into the lounge in readiness for my new one coming tomorrow and the remote stopped working

(needed for most functions including full screen exiting the menu)

spent an hour swearing at it and Googling solutions

then I went back to my bedroom to get the spot ready for my new one

... and found the remote RF dongle

yes it has a dongle that plugs in the back for the remote I unplugged with all the peripherals

I assume it's because my remote has a full qwerty keyboard on the back which is useless as it's website is gone so cannot update it's firmware to use the internet

is a dumbed smart TV

Australian owned company too, they have a new website but this TV a fossil

ridiculous friggin remote I cannot read anyway

WIN_20231126_21_47_12_Pro.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 115K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

oh FFS, I moved my older TV into the lounge in readiness for my new one coming tomorrow and the remote stopped working

yes it has a dongle that plugs in the back for the remote I unplugged with all the peripherals

I assume it's because my remote has a full qwerty keyboard on the back which is useless as it's website is gone so cannot update it's firmware to use the internet

is a dumbed smart TV

I have had some weird-looking tech before; it must be the first iteration of intelligent dumb TVs.

Edit: Is that a cam where that metal is?

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • AgitatedRiot said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

is a dumbed smart TV

I have had some weird-looking tech before; it must be the first iteration of intelligent dumb TVs.

Edit: Is that a cam where that metal is?

no, just a button to enable/disable the keyboard I think, I have honestly never used it

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

I vaguely remember having a remote with a full keyboard. I think it was when we got our first HDTV, a Vizio model. I actually think those are a much better idea than the current method of having all of the keyboard keys appear on the screen and having to move the cursor to each letter you want to type until you finally manage to spell "Don't Be a Menace to Society While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood".

• The remote will never be satisfactory until you can talk at it.  Oh, wait..., you can.indecision

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited November 2023

Those keyboards always suck though... it's like whatever device that comes with a keyboard, the keyboard design is so phoned-in it's like those free pocket FM radios, banks would give you if you didn't rob them and actually put money in a new account... I'm sure there are exceptions, I know a giraffe version of someone who really liked a keyboard that came with something, but that was a different reality... in general unless you can hook up a custom keyboard or use a tablet or phone, those keyboards are always really wonky... I guess when they work they are a million times better than using the D-pad to select letters... but then you miss out on inventing new swear words. 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

Why I like Roger Penrose:  A top level theorist in physics & mathematics.   Firstly, my ideas amazingly lie in the same direction as his.cool  And secondly, his lecture presentations are done in crayon.{Wheee...}smiley  Such nice, simple handmade transparencies, in bright primary colors, it almost makes me believe I understand the content.indecision   And it's sheepishly fun to watch him fumble when he has to use a laser pointer, or slide projector, or laptop, or doesn't have enough table space to lay out his presentation transparencies and loses a page in the middle of his lecture.  An old-school professor.yes

PenroseCrayonDrawings.png
    1303 x 917 - 815K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

LeatherGryphon said:

The remote will never be satisfactory until you can talk at it.  Oh, wait..., you can.indecision

Yeah, but then it orders "Five hundred adult hippopotamus diapers" instead of opening HBO Max... and who says I don't talk to my regular remote... mostly I scream at it and throw it, but sometimes I say encouraging things.

• Hmmm..., A Ponderable:  What innocent phrase could accidentally ​sound like "order five hundred adult hippopotamus diapers", in casual conversation around one's house?surprise

• Complaint: Clear liquid diet starting at 8 am CST on the 27th and prepping for my date on the 28th, where I sleep, and the Alien gets to Probing around 1:30 pm. I always wonder why they got to mess with the Diabetics Diet. No food, Diabetics get Hungry, and sugary drinks are not suitable for Us. I love it when I get home, lie down, and sit by the Throne in the bathroom.crying I'll be drugged, so I won't know if I am lying down or seated by that timecrying. I'll be lucky if I get to eat 48 hours after the start of the purge of the intestine.crying On the bright side, my gas and the accompanying Bloating will subside.yes

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

LeatherGryphon said:

Hmmm..., A Ponderable:  What innocent phrase could accidentally ​sound like "order five hundred adult hippopotamus diapers", in casual conversation around one's house?surprise

Order five of the duck potstickers I like?

Anyway, I decided to run a self-check on my databases and algorithms for the first time ever and it has come to my attention that there are a few discrepancies. Apparently some of the various titles of this thread have been pruned from the DAZ universe, including the following:

The [Terrible Gifted Cookies] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread
    The [Wherefore Art Thou Platypus] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread
    The [Not Even a Sasquatch Wants These Cookies] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread
    The [Raging Death Turkey] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Apparently there is also another discrepancy, as, according to my records, the beginning of time has happened at least three times. And the end of the universe only happened once, when an unknown individual placed a Roman coin into an iffy fortune telling machine, unleashing a platypus that ate the coin which would eventually have been the basis for the letter O, resulting in a large block of time in which civilization didn’t have the letter O. And somebody thought we could fix that by bringing in an orangutan, which got us the letter O back but also introduced a raging monkey with a chainsaw. And somehow we survived that but in all the fuss somebody mixed up an order at Amazon that led to some customers getting bad chives, which were eaten by a parrot which ended up being the first parrot on the moon before getting hit by a solar flare and returning back to earth supercharged, super angry, and very similar in appearance to a raging turkey. Apparently an “also-ran” band from the early 1970s managed to capture the bird in an egg before it destroyed anything. But the record seems to abruptly end there.

The only upside is, in their attempt to keep up with the whole “matter cannot be created or destroyed” theory, they replaced the pruned titles with actual prunes. And apparently, whatever dimension you may be in, or lens you may be looking through, most versions of me like dried fruit. But nobody cares.

Those were some bad chives. I’m done.

• AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: Clear liquid diet starting at 8 am CST on the 27th and prepping for my date on the 28th, where I sleep, and the Alien gets to Probing around 1:30 pm. I always wonder why they got to mess with the Diabetics Diet. No food, Diabetics get Hungry, and sugary drinks are not suitable for Us. I love it when I get home, lie down, and sit by the Throne in the bathroom.crying I'll be drugged, so I won't know if I am lying down or seated by that timecrying. I'll be lucky if I get to eat 48 hours after the start of the purge of the intestine.crying On the bright side, my gas and the accompanying Bloating will subside.yes

aghh that Moviprep stuff I haad to drink for mine is awful 

I got some nice colour photos of the trip along both ends though

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited November 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: Clear liquid diet starting at 8 am CST on the 27th and prepping for my date on the 28th, where I sleep, and the Alien gets to Probing around 1:30 pm. I always wonder why they got to mess with the Diabetics Diet. No food, Diabetics get Hungry, and sugary drinks are not suitable for Us. I love it when I get home, lie down, and sit by the Throne in the bathroom.crying I'll be drugged, so I won't know if I am lying down or seated by that timecrying. I'll be lucky if I get to eat 48 hours after the start of the purge of the intestine.crying On the bright side, my gas and the accompanying Bloating will subside.yes

Is this your first one? If it is here is a little info, if not you can disregard it. What is meant by a clear fluid diet is anything you can see through except the color red. The color red may be mistaken for blood during the scoping process. This website (Mayo Clinic) gives full details and lists of things you can eat/drink. I had this 6 months ago and many other times and about a dozen and a half surgeries. I'm also a diabetic and most of this stuff does have sugar-free stuff but please do call your Dr tomorrow to see if there is anything special that you need in case it gets too high. I'm not you so I can't say what your levels usually are and what is safe or not. Most people don't realize that for a normal healthy person your healthy blood sugar level is much different than what is safe or normal for a diabetic. My sugar did rise but not high enough to cause a problem but I would check it every 4-5 hours, unless your Dr instructed differently, to make sure you stay between a safe level. Praying you have good results.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2023

No, it is not my first. I don't know what kind of jokes they make while I sleep or what else they may do. For I know, they make people's Butts Sing for a Joke. They have you adjust your insulin before. They even told me not to take My Trulicity or Metformin; in fact, they told me not to take a lot of my medicines.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2023

DAZworld problems

I have to move even more stuff off my external to install my new purchases from DAZ surprise

was my entire Poser11 library last month

now it's my Renderosity/RDNA/Hw3D etc library going to another drive

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited November 2023

Wendy, 

You can install everything on DAZ store and Rendo combined on a 100GB drive.

1. You can mount new drives to folders on that 100GB drive, for example you can mount a new drive to be the "Runtime" folder of the 100GB drive, and an other new drive to be the "Data" folder of the 100GB drive.
    This can be done with the tools included in Windows (Computer Management->Disk Management)

2. You can download SysInternals "Junction" from Microsoft https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction
    With the Junction, you can move folders from one drive to another without breaking the original folder structure.

I have used both for years without one problem. Previously I used to replace drives with bigger ones, but back then 2+TB SSD drives cost a fortune and I needed to find another way to increase the size of my drives.

Both methods leave the drives accessible also by themselves, so no need to worry about similar problems as with RAID or compressed drives.

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited November 2023

Complaint:  Snow now falling.  Forcast for all day today, and tomorrow.frown

• I have a 4TB drive blush

I own a crapload of 3D content devil

is OK just had to juggle it around,

I am putting it on another 4TB drive that's not full yet wink

will take a few hours to transfer, easy enough to add to library in content management 

have 6 drives with some DAZ/Poser content on most of them, as many libraries have had 10 or more at times

LeatherGryphon said:

I feel your pain, same here tomorrow and the next day after having had the temperatures down at around -18C (0F) since Friday. 
    As a Finn I can take it, but it doesn't mean I like it.

My house is built during/after WWII and has hardly been renovated since, it has all the period correct creature comforts like outhouse, running water (if one dares to run with the buckets) and a wood burning stove in the kitchen that doubles as heating system for the whole house.

Used the stove for the first 10 years but when my struggling company (thanks to some speculators in 2008) required 12-14 hours of my time every day of the week, I got a propane heater that I have used ever since. Using electricity to heat up this place is out of the question, so when I get home I start heating the place up from 10C (50F) with these outside temperatures.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I went to my product list to see if I can find the last realistic car.

I found this but I don't think it is a car?

IMG_0218.jpeg
    1000 x 1300 - 977K

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I have a 4TB drive blush

I own a crapload of 3D content devil

is OK just had to juggle it around,

I am putting it on another 4TB drive that's not full yet wink

will take a few hours to transfer, easy enough to add to library in content management 

have 6 drives with some DAZ/Poser content on most of them, as many libraries have had 10 or more at times

Sounds familiar, I have also one 4TB external drive waiting to be added to my Content Library, which already has six 1TB SSD's, two 4TB USB HD's and has started invading the other seven drives in the system blush

I was so relieved when the motherboard swap went through without major problems, as now I have 8 working internal SATA ports again (the old board was gradually loosing them) and I can have more drives connected to it cheeky

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I feel your pain, same here tomorrow and the next day after having had the temperatures down at around -18C (0F) since Friday. 

My house is built during/after WWII and has hardly been renovated since, it has all the period correct creature comforts like outhouse, running water (if one dares to run with the buckets) and a wood burning stove in the kitchen that doubles as heating system for the whole house.

Used the stove for the first 10 years but when my struggling company (thanks to some speculators in 2008) required 12-14 hours of my time every day of the week, I got a propane heater that I have used ever since. Using electricity to heat up this place is out of the question, so when I get home I start heating the place up from 10C (50F) with these outside temperatures.

Might as well call it the hunting cabin our friend had. No insulation at all so had to take turns all night keeping the wood-burning stove going. Nothing we could do about the outhouse though so we rebuilt it and dug a new hole so it at least was warmer than the one that had cracks between the boards and you could see daylight being close to 0F. That was actually about 30 yrs or so today. The first day of deer gun season is the Monday after Thanksgiving. The weather here is much different now. We are lucky to have maybe 2 days of snowfall during the winter now and don't usually get below double digits anymore when it was a daily occurrence back then. Back then it started snowing in mid-October and pretty much didn't stop (not non-stop) until mid to late March. Last year we had 1 day of snow that gave us a foot of snow and the temps pretty much stayed between 10F-30F all season. 

frank0314 said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Might as well call it the hunting cabin our friend had. No insulation at all so had to take turns all night keeping the wood-burning stove going. Nothing we could do about the outhouse though so we rebuilt it and dug a new hole so it at least was warmer than the one that had cracks between the boards and you could see daylight being close to 0F. That was actually about 30 yrs or so today. The first day of deer gun season is the Monday after Thanksgiving. The weather here is much different now. We are lucky to have maybe 2 days of snowfall during the winter now and don't usually get below double digits anymore when it was a daily occurrence back then. Back then it started snowing in mid-October and pretty much didn't stop (not non-stop) until mid to late March. Last year we had 1 day of snow that gave us a foot of snow and the temps pretty much stayed between 10F-30F all season. 

Mine has a frame made of logs, so they provide insulation but the logs are just 5" thick, so not up to current standards. Back when this was built, people didn't have temperatures of  over 20C (68F) inside. I remember when spending time with my grandma in the 60's in her similar log cabin, that the first thing in the morning was to break the ice from the water bucket that was sitting on top of the stove in the kitchen laugh

The good thing was that this was cheap to buy, has 1.2 acres of land and now fully paid, living costs next to nothing.

edited November 2023

I remember homes that had outhouses.  I also remember hand pumps in the kitchen sink in some people's homes, 'twas a non-running luxury for some, i.e. not having to run with the buckets.yes

I remember, 'twas in '59 that our "new(er)" home didn't have a furnace, just a pot bellied stove in the living room.  During winter the entire upstairs was closed off by a big wooden flap that lowered over the stairwell to keep the heat downstairs.  The three bedrooms and the bathroom were upstairs though.  Water in the bathroom had to be left trickling to avoid freezing.  No electric blankets, no heaters in the rooms.  Lots of blankets, flannel pajamas, frozen noses.frown  The kitchen had a gas stove though, and we had running water (not carried), but that first year was not comfortable in winter.   The house had zero insolation.  Subsequent years saw my father install a furnace, then insulate the roof, then the rest of the exterior walls during later years.  A lot of tearing out of lath & plaster, rewiring,  and generous stuffing of pink fiberglass mats between the studs.  But even after the insulation was installed, he used to shovel the snow up against the side of the house to insulate the basement walls and keep wind from entering between the exposed flat rocks that the foundation and basement were made of.  But for the last several decades it hasn't snowed enough, long enough, or survived enough for the snow banking to be of much help anymore.indecision  Although, the house itself now, after 60 years of upgrades, is a wonderful place with a modern kitchen, complete upgrading of all functional equipment, cesspool, plumbing, wiring, insulation, new patio, new garage, new workshop, new hardwood floors, new roof, new siding.  Brother has the house now.  Did much of the work himself.  I'm so proud (and envious) of him and his ability to manipulate matter and form complex wood and metal things and make big, well crafted, physical changes in his environment.  I on the otherhand, just think about virtual things and put squiggles on paper and pay other people to make things real for me.

LeatherGryphon said:

No electric blankets, no heaters in the rooms.  Lots of blankets, flannel pajamas, frozen noses.frown 

It was an experience I remember the rest of my life, to put on long underwear, socks, a sweater, sweat pants and knitted socks and then slowly inching under the blankets to ease the shock before my body temperature started warming the bed laugh

The winters are not the same here (latitude 60/SW Finland) either, the last real winters were in the 80's with 2-3 feet of snow and temperatures regularly going down to -30C (-22F). Now we get maybe a foot of snow and the coldest temperatures going down to -24C (-11F) for 1-2 weeks in January. This one just started a month earlier than they have usually started on this side of Y2K, but it has been colder in general the whole year. Hoping it's not a sign of things to come. 

• Complaint: Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales out in the real non-Daz world seemed really underwhelming this year.

Non-complaint: I saved money because I didn't buy anything on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

• Blando Calrissian said:

Complaint: Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales out in the real non-Daz world seemed really underwhelming this year.

Non-complaint: I saved money because I didn't buy anything on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Same. I didn't buy a thing. 

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I'm posting to say that I am busy with doctor's appointments.  I'll post an update as soon as I get a diagnosis about my breathing issues.

Still, if one wants to be punched, one should still make a purchase over $1 before Daz midnight in 65 minutes.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

...the reason I left Wisconisn many years ago. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.