The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

One of the things I really don't like about pages meant for people in a specific industry, is how they tend to have explanations that require explanations. Like how the explanation of "acromioclavicular" is "The acromioclavicular joint is a diarthrodial joint defined by the lateral clavicle articulating with the acromion process as it projects anteriorly off the scapula".

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place?

• AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: Acromioclavicular Joint Reconstruction Enough said,

Ouch!  Good luck with it. 

DanaTA said:

The thread that you linked to with "this guy" seems to have shrunken.  But it seems to be a very old thread. 

I'm a bit disappointed that there was no email saying why the posts got deleted. It's kind of like looking in the mailbox and finding no coupons for Pizza Hut or Subway.

We got coupons today though, so that makes up for the lack of email.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

....just had something odd happen.  As I was working on rebuilding the character that was corrupted (turns out it was due to a bad disk sector) I'm not sure what key combo I accidentally hit, but now when I'm in the parameters tab and select a body part like "Head" I get the "What do I do? pane instead of the full list of head parameters. I cannot figure out how to set it back to show  the parameters again.

It's probably something simple but I have no idea what I did as I've never had this happen before.

Bloody arthritis making my hands so clumsy.

Is the Show Sub-items checkbox unchecked? If so you will see only properties that are actually in the current group, not proerpties thata re in sub-groups within it.

....thank you, I figured it was something simple.

Likely it was unchecked, due to the clumsiness and inaccuracy of my arthritically wracked hands.  This happens from time to time, particularly when I'm working late. and performing a tas kthat requires holding the [ctrl} or [alt] key held down.

Fortunately I haven't (yet) accidentally logged into the NSA national surveillance database or FAA regional air traffic control centre when this happens. 

I really need one of those old IBM keyboards where you have actually to press the key firmly to get it to echo to the system (also the characters on the keys arend just decals that wear off like on today's cheap keyboards).

I really need one of those old IBM keyboards where you have actually to press the key firmly to get it to echo to the system (also the letters on the keyes aren't simply decals that wear off like today's cheap keyboards have)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited December 2023

I recall hearing an implausible story about an electric oven that supposedly converted the water used for steam cleaning into hydrogen and oxygen, which then mixed and exploded. It sounds like a tall tale that might get passed around, but I'm unsure if there's any truth. Have you heard anything similar?

Complaint: I fear using my steam clean function on my stove. laugh

I started the implausible story, and I scared my sister-in-law to death.devil

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

AgitatedRiot said:

I recall hearing an implausible story about an electric oven that supposedly converted the water used for steam cleaning into hydrogen and oxygen, which then mixed and exploded. It sounds like a tall tale that might get passed around, but I'm unsure if there's any truth. Have you heard anything similar?

Complaint: I fear using my steam clean function on my stove. laugh

I started the implausible story, and I scared my sister-in-law to death.devil

Ah yes, implausible stories that scare people have become popular lately. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,503
    edited December 2023

It depends how implausible you think a red-hot electric element dissassociating water into 2xH2 and O2 is. My dad once threw a bucket of water into an overheating coke central heating boiler and came away without eyebrows, eyelashes or moustache, and my mother saw a wall of blue flame erupt out of the cellar boiler room as he did it. He was pretty much bald at the time, so can't comment on how much head hair he lost. This was between 1971 & 1976 in West Germany.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

richardandtracy said:

It depends how implausible you think a red-hot electric element dissassociating water into 2xH2 and O2 is. My dad once threw a bucket of water into an overheating coke central heating boiler and came away without eyebrows, eyelashes or moustache, and my mother saw a wall of blue flame erupt out of the cellar boiler room as he did it. He was pretty much bald at the time, so can't comment on how much head hair he lost. This was between 1971 & 1976 in West Germany.

That may have produced Water Gas
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_gas

• It did, he was very lucky not to be injured. Regards, Richard.
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

You are thinking of the "Centralia Incident"... In the late 70s a Kenmore electric oven equipped with a unique type of deluxe steam clean function was running through the process when it exploded. 
    The feature incorporated a special coating on the heating elements which actually enabled electrolysis to occur, thus splitting the oxygen and hydrogen atoms from the water, but because of a contaminant in the coating on the heater elements, the explosion was far worse than anyone could have predicted... the factory where the heating elements were made, also produced radium needles a few years before and radium dust got into the air ducts and ended up in the coating... once heated sufficiently in the presence of a proper quantity of water, the radium ionized and together with the loose hydrogen atoms, it started a weak nuclear chain reaction... a "Mini Nuke" situation (think Fallout 4)... the explosion vaporized the neighborhood and the gamma burst set fire to a coal seam below the town... the authorities covered up the incident and used the coal fire to force everyone out of town... to this day Centralia Pennsylvania is still abandoned and full of radioactive roaches, deers and mutant iguanas (for the irradiated pet store).

I hope this helps reinforce your tale.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Complaint 1; One of my HP LA2405wg monitors went black, sigh... Need to get it fixed as two monitors is not enough.

Complaint 2; They are forecasting temperatures down to -25C (-13F) for next week and my car has been struggling to start at -18C (0F)

• Time for a bit of exercise using the starting handle.. I once left the lights on when I left my 2CV. Came back 2 hours later and the lights were a dim glim. Got the starting handle out and after two quick flicks the engine started and I got a round of applause from everyone waiting in the queue for the cinema - they'd seen the problem and thought I was going to be stuck. There was just enough juice in the battery to create sparks even though there wasn't enough for the starter motor. Regards, Richard.
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I am not allowed to start the laundry machine by myself, but the person who is allowed to isn't starting it.

Sfariah D said:

I am not allowed to start the laundry machine by myself, but the person who is allowed to isn't starting it.

I suppose they think you're going to create some kind of uncontrolled nuclear reaction by starting a washing machine. You really need to get away from these people. There has to be better people somewhere. I think I would be seriously planning an escape. On the other hand, years ago when I was imprisoned in the mental health institution, I planned an escape but never actually did it. On the... third hand... I'm not in there anymore...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

NylonGirl said:

Sfariah D said:

I suppose they think you're going to create some kind of uncontrolled nuclear reaction by starting a washing machine.

I hate when that happens.  Then you have to wait 6000 years for the radiation levels to drop, and then you find you need to wash the load again.

You really need to get away from these people. There has to be better people somewhere. I think I would be seriously planning an escape. On the other hand, years ago when I was imprisoned in the mental health institution, I planned an escape but never actually did it. On the... third hand... I'm not in there anymore...

Plus you got out with an extra hand.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

NylonGirl said:

Sfariah D said:

I suppose they think you're going to create some kind of uncontrolled nuclear reaction by starting a washing machine. You really need to get away from these people. There has to be better people somewhere. I think I would be seriously planning an escape. On the other hand, years ago when I was imprisoned in the mental health institution, I planned an escape but never actually did it. On the... third hand... I'm not in there anymore...

I am trying to figure out how to get out of this place, but I fear I can't do that on my own. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

NylonGirl said:

Sfariah D said:

...I could use a third hand, actually a third cyber arm with a cyber hand. That way Id have a free arm and hand to do other things that two hands can't manage, like when I am carrying two bags of groceries home from the market I could take out and swipe ,my fare card when boarding a bus, open the rear  door when getting off, and pull out ,my keys to enter the building and my apartment without putting the grocery bags down.  It would also come in handy during other tasks like cooking and cleaning..   If it had a telescoping feature I could reach the upper cabinets and shelves in my kitchen, change the battery in the smoke alarm, and put up holiday lights all without having to climb onto a chair. 

Of course there is a downside as I'd have to get clothing specially tailored to accomodate it.

• KinichKinich Posts: 868

kyoto kid said:

NylonGirl said:

Sfariah D said:

...I could use a third hand, actually a third cyber arm with a cyber hand. That way Id have a free arm and hand to do other things that two hands can't manage, like when I am carrying two bags of groceries home from the market I could take out and swipe ,my fare card when boarding a bus, open the rear  door when getting off, and pull out ,my keys to enter the building and my apartment without putting the grocery bags down.  It would also come in handy during other tasks like cooking and cleaning..   If it had a telescoping feature I could reach the upper cabinets and shelves in my kitchen, change the battery in the smoke alarm, and put up holiday lights all without having to climb onto a chair. 

Of course there is a downside as I'd have to get clothing specially tailored to accomodate it.

Not necessarily, it depends where the arm started. If it was rooted into one of you existing shoulders then yes specially tailored clothes would be needed*, however if you had it implanted on the top of your head your existing clothes would be fine, finding suitable hats maybe an issue but the spare arm & hand could hold an umbrella above your head without having to worry about taking somebody’s eye out, unless they were very tall, in which case it’s there own fault for being a drain on the planets resources as everybody knows short people are much more environmentally friendly as they require less nourishment to survive, smaller houses to live in, smaller cars to drive around in etc. and with a smaller surface area they are more energy efficient as well, therefore to save the planet we need more short people, this could be encouraged by having peoples taxation level height based.

Okay I’ll go back to silently lurking in the shadows again, but not in a stalker kind of way, just a quiet voyeuristic kind of lurking.

*Unless you live in or move to a nudist colony, then you wouldn't need the clothes at all and the extra hand could be used to cover your modesty even when carrying two bags of shopping.

• I want a third fist like Chunk

• AgitatedRiot said:

I want a third fist like Chunk

I kept clicking that thinking it was a video blush 

• You can click this one.

AgitatedRiot said:

I want a third fist like Chunk

Chunk Corris...?... My friend's miniature pinscher (like a chihuahua, but worse) had a fifth leg... but it was useless for walking.
    I believe Chunk's third fist wasn't as salacious as the doggie's dangly bit... it was just a lost dwarf living in his beard... after Smaug invaded Erebor, the dwarves were scattered far and wide.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2023

when did all my interests in my teens and twenties that had people label me as a weirdo become so mainstream?

I feel like a huge mandella effect happened somewhere because now people act as all those things are normal and everyone always did them but I definitely recall being ostracised, given the side eye for the same reading habits, music interests, hobbies, clothing choices etc.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

There are lots of things I don't get about humans... but phenomena of AI influencers is special.

So you know a girl or guy is not real and that the company that created this virtual mascot is using him/her/it to sell you crap, but you engage in the whole charade... you literally follow them on their "travels" and adventures while they tell you about the clothes they wear and products they use... 

I get that if it was a physical cybernetic girlfriend or boyfriend, one could hold hands with and one could take long walks in the park with on beautiful spring days and while you were making out on the bench next to the duck pond (with the ducks watching in approval), it whispered in your ear that you needed BattleAxe Bodyspray or Head and Armpits shampoo, you might be influenced... you don't want to disappoint your robotic lover... they could go all terminator and kill you or throw you to the ducks... that makes sense, but this thing is nothing more than a rendered creation, specifically designed to sell you a product, with no other purpose at all... it's not even a person who is being paid to influence you to purchase stuff, who arguably might actually like or believe the product is actual useful... this is nothing more than an semi-interactive advertising campaign created specifically to sell you whatever it is programmed to... one that has no objection to selling you a faulty, useless or trashy product that's overpriced and dumb... it's strictly a commercial product itself created with no moral objections to doing whatever it's script says... it's saying it loves wearing particular clothing and uses particular makeup and personal care products, but you know it's a rendered AI entity, which can't wear clothes or use makeup or shampoo... you may as well start a conversation with the GEICO Geko, The Michelin Man or Tony the Tiger... I hear those corn flakes are "Grrrrreat!"... and a cartoon tiger would never lie to you about what corn flakes are the best?

Peepilz iz sooooo dumb.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

McGyver said:

after Smaug invaded Erebor, the dwarves were scattered far and wide.

Especially Bombur 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

@McGyver, I actually like Bob's Discount Furniture ads, because they're funny and cute.  I've even visited one of his stores, but never made a purchase.  And he's actually modeled after the real Bob, and voiced by him I believe.  I also like the GEICO commercials, but never had that insurance.  I like the ones with Flo in them, too, but never bought insurance from them.  The commercials are sometimes more entertaining than the shows they're in.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

when did all my interests in my teens and twenties that had people label me as a weirdo become so mainstream?

I feel like a huge mandella effect happened somewhere because now people act as all those things are normal and everyone always did them but I definitely recall being ostracised, given the side eye for the same reading habits, music interests, hobbies, clothing choices etc.

My guess is there were always lots of other people who felt the same way you did but every one of them was told they're the only one. And maybe the older generation or whatever other powers that be, just doesn't have as much control over them anymore so they're able to be themselves more. Not completely, but more. 

• DanaTA said:

@McGyver, I actually like Bob's Discount Furniture ads, because they're funny and cute.  I've even visited one of his stores, but never made a purchase.  And he's actually modeled after the real Bob, and voiced by him I believe.  I also like the GEICO commercials, but never had that insurance.  I like the ones with Flo in them, too, but never bought insurance from them.  The commercials are sometimes more entertaining than the shows they're in.

Is that the same as Norm's Bargain Barn?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

Is that the same as Norm's Bargain Barn?

No.   It's this:

Bob.jpg
    734 x 766 - 75K
This discussion has been closed.