The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

@McGyver, I actually like Bob's Discount Furniture ads, because they're funny and cute.  I've even visited one of his stores, but never made a purchase.  And he's actually modeled after the real Bob, and voiced by him I believe.  I also like the GEICO commercials, but never had that insurance.  I like the ones with Flo in them, too, but never bought insurance from them.  The commercials are sometimes more entertaining than the shows they're in.

Is that the same as Norm's Bargain Barn?

No.   It's this:

So, "furniture" is a euphemism for racks, iron maidens, lime pits etc.?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

@McGyver, I actually like Bob's Discount Furniture ads, because they're funny and cute.  I've even visited one of his stores, but never made a purchase.  And he's actually modeled after the real Bob, and voiced by him I believe.  I also like the GEICO commercials, but never had that insurance.  I like the ones with Flo in them, too, but never bought insurance from them.  The commercials are sometimes more entertaining than the shows they're in.

No.   It's this:

Not at all.  Lime costs extra. 

• I've got a Lime Pit. OK, there's a word missing there. It's a 'Lime Putty Pit'. For lime putty. Or the pre-cursor to lime mortar. I gave up on it once I finally realised the reason it didn't set in the pit was because lime mortar hardly sets in any lifetime. Especially if it happens to snow the day after you put in a huge wodge of lime into it, slake it and the whole flipping lot freezes more solid than lime mortar sets.

Fortunately the lime only cost effort. Our garden's on chalk, and I burn pallets to melt aluminium, so I tried making lime from chalk with it. It worked. Took about 24 hours and about 5 pallets for a barrowful of lime.

Regards,

Richard.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

AgitatedRiot said:

You can click this one.

McGyver said:

There are lots of things I don't get about humans... but phenomena of AI influencers is special.

So you know a girl or guy is not real and that the company that created this virtual mascot is using him/her/it to sell you crap, but you engage in the whole charade... you literally follow them on their "travels" and adventures while they tell you about the clothes they wear and products they use... 

I get that if it was a physical cybernetic girlfriend or boyfriend, one could hold hands with and one could take long walks in the park with on beautiful spring days and while you were making out on the bench next to the duck pond (with the ducks watching in approval), it whispered in your ear that you needed BattleAxe Bodyspray or Head and Armpits shampoo, you might be influenced... you don't want to disappoint your robotic lover... they could go all terminator and kill you or throw you to the ducks... that makes sense, but this thing is nothing more than a rendered creation, specifically designed to sell you a product, with no other purpose at all... it's not even a person who is being paid to influence you to purchase stuff, who arguably might actually like or believe the product is actual useful... this is nothing more than an semi-interactive advertising campaign created specifically to sell you whatever it is programmed to... one that has no objection to selling you a faulty, useless or trashy product that's overpriced and dumb... it's strictly a commercial product itself created with no moral objections to doing whatever it's script says... it's saying it loves wearing particular clothing and uses particular makeup and personal care products, but you know it's a rendered AI entity, which can't wear clothes or use makeup or shampoo... you may as well start a conversation with the GEICO Geko, The Michelin Man or Tony the Tiger... I hear those corn flakes are "Grrrrreat!"... and a cartoon tiger would never lie to you about what corn flakes are the best?

Peepilz iz sooooo dumb.

...indeed.  I wonder how many who call ComcastXfinity actually believe they are talking to a real person when  it uses fake keyboard typing sound effects every time the reception bot, says "let me check on that for a moment." 

Yeah Digital characters in adverts are also bad. 

I fear it will only get worse.

A number of years ago I toyed with an idea for a dystopic work based on aspects from the old 1960s film, The President's; Plane is Missing .and the cinematic adaptation of Ray Bradbury's  Fahrenheit 451. it also had elements other dystopic works like They Live and the film adaptation of 1984.  The basis was the president went missing during a major crisis and a lifelike AI generated substitute was created to keep people from suspecting something was up.  Where Fahrenheit 451 fits in is how society was depicted in that people had become so addicted to their wall size video screens )referred to as "parlour walls in the book on which the media bureau, ministry, or whatever, spoon fed the public whatever it wanted to keep them passive to where they never questioned what they saw.  The protagonist was one of the small underground pirate media channels (which were deemed subversive) ;which figured our what really happened .

i never got past the outline when I abandoned the idea.

From what I have been reading lately, I feel we are not far off. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2023

I am waiting for the LED wallpaper/contact adhesive you can apply to any surface to play video back on

I can imagine whole video kitchen benches and cupboards etc

will be cooking Ramen in it as all food too dear but everyone will have video surfaces

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am waiting for the LED wallpaper/contact adhesive you can apply to any surface to play video back on

will be cooking Ramen in it as all food too dear but everyone will have video surfaces

And even though you have the video in your computer, it somehow has to be sent into "the cloud" in order to be sent to the wallpaper. And this requires a monthly subscription fee, which wipes out the money you saved on the pork chop. 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited December 2023

Complaint: I get into a massive battle in the PvP game, and then I hear BATTERY LOW in my headset, which distracts me long enough to get shot, respawn Battery low, and pow, I'm dead. I had great fun in Frycry 6, which had a beautiful atmosphere and lighting.

Edited: Game Name

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: I get into a massive battle in the PvP game, and then I hear BATTERY LOW in my headset, which distracts me long enough to get shot, respawn Battery low, and pow, I'm dead. I had great fun in Frycry 6, which had a beautiful atmosphere and lighting.

Dead twice in one night!  Are your doctors aware of this symptom?surprise 

• Fixmypcmike said:

Richard Haseltine said:

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

No.   It's this:

Not at all.  Lime costs extra. 

Damn, I love you people... laugh

Happy Belated Birthday, KyotoKid! heart Sorry I missed it. (hugs)

Also... Happy Holidays and Happy New Year EVERYONE! heart

• LeatherGryphon said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Dead twice in one night!  Are your doctors aware of this symptom?surprise 

I think he does. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

WendyLuvsCatz said:

In 2020 I went to the NYC Auto Show at Javits Center and was semi-confuzzled when I looked back in the direction of a massive video screen I thought I had just walked past... in the direction I just walked, there was a giant black mesh wall/curtain/divider thing, but it was see-through and I couldn't see the display looking back to where I'd come from... I thought I walked really far past it and was looking at a different manufacturer's space... the place is crowded, loud and there are a billion lights and things to distract one, so it's easy to bypass something... so I headed back to find the video screen which I was now thinking I hallucinated, but as I passed the mesh thing it turned out to be the video screen...

I couldn't see it because what appeared to be a solid surface was actually a thin see-through material and I was looking through it from in back...

Apparently from the back the screen material just looks like a slightly heavy duty sheer black nylon mesh, but from the front you can see the zillions of little LEDs that make up the video display... I was intrigued by the fact that it appeared to be an actual cloth-like material... probably more fragile, but it was clearly not part of the frame supporting it and was stretched/hung on it... there was probably a 6-9 mm (1/4"-3/8"), or maybe a little more between the display lines when you were looking at it directly, but for the most part from a few feet away it was unnoticeable.

Its pretty amazing, but it occurred to me it really worked best with the brightness cranked way up, because a small amount of glare fills in the gaps when you are close up (this was floor to almost ceiling, probably 9m/ 30 ft), but when it does certain dimmer effects the gaps are a little more noticeable standing next to it... 

I knew that big screens don't have the LEDs very close together, that wasn't surprising, it was that this was a cloth-like mesh material that appears to be able to roll up... I noticed many of the other manufacturer spaces used similar display screens and one had a dome made out of it to simulate a forest sky at night (probably Jeep, it was a camp ground set up with pine trees and fake boulders)... now I've noticed that some vendor kiosks with fancy signs with changing displays, use a similar material that seems to be either encapsulated in the plastic or very tightly fit to accommodate compound shapes.

So yeah... what you said is probably right around the corner... I'd imagine... I first heard about a similar sort of material in a science magazine (probably Scientific American) back in the late 90s... it was predicting roll down screens the size of your whole living room wall that would be your TV... 

Still not there, but I can totally see it soon (or not, it's probably more lucrative to keep pushing big screen TVs for hundreds of $)... but definitely novelty items that have a flexible screen material embedded in the surface... No more more single clever saying on your coffee mug, it'll be an animated GIF or funny cat video that you can choose or download... or probably more likely a looping message from our Cybernetic Chinchilla Overlords telling us to drink more coffee and work harder for the Empire.

Cool stuff.

Hmm... Clownflare lied... it said there was a gateway error and my previous post was gone bye-bye...

The Chinchilla Overlords are watching...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I keep dreaming of a special paper or pen that can can allow me to browse the internet by just writing the url onto it.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

So, what I would like is a really tall mirror that, when I looked at it, would show me a fairly accurate reflection of everything in the room... except that when I look at myself, I see what I would like to see rather than reality or whatever. I'm pretty sure I'd program it to make me Cheetara from the Thundercats.

edited December 2023

Complaint: Any website that alleges "How-To" troubleshoot problems, but is uselessly wrong or outdated...

Me: "iPhone won't play music using aux input"... 

Website: "Make sure your iPhone is turned on... Open Snortify... in settings go to Snortify> click Library then in Library, click: Music In Car..."

Me: "There is no Library in settings"

Website: "Look at all the ads... here are some scammy ones too..."

It's even crappier when it's Apple or the app maker's website that's completely wrong... Update your damn instructions when you change stuff.

Post edited by McGyver on

NylonGirl said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

And even though you have the video in your computer, it somehow has to be sent into "the cloud" in order to be sent to the wallpaper. And this requires a monthly subscription fee, which wipes out the money you saved on the pork chop. 

That "pork chop" you were saving up all year to buy... because at this rate, by then Frosted Flakes will be more expensive than refined Californium-252, despite the News Bots continuing to say inflation has only gone up 7% since 2020, which was fifteen years ago... of course Soylent Gray® will be semi-affordable, but it will be a subscription service that requires you to have an EIPV (Edible Intellectual Property Verification) device installed in your esophagus to insure you are only consuming licensed Soylent Gray® products... Granted that "pork chop" will only be a Non-fungible Virtual Pork Token because real pork requires a pork consumption license which is only available to subscribed members of the Platinum Plus Infinity Plus-Plus Chinchilla Party Plus Club, who have sworn allegiance to the Chinchilla Overlords... the nice thing will be that most NFVPTs will sync with newer neural implants that support "FlavaBurst" technology... of course at an extra cost, through a subscription and the flavor only lasts the number of seconds your subscription tier entitles you to, and requires maximum bandwidth and ultra high speed G32 connectivity... 

Happy New Year everyone, wherever you are... May this new year be much better than 2023... I probably won't be around later, so I figured I'd say it early.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Happy new year everybody, it's 2024 now cheeky

• PerttiA said:

No spoilers!

edited January 1

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

No spoilers!

...it is 2024 now where you are, still 2023 here for 7 hours and 22 minutes ,

McGyver said:

Happy New Year everyone, wherever you are... May this new year be much better than 2023... I probably won't be around later, so I figured I'd say it early.

...I'll be here, given that New Year's Eve is the last day of the month when finances are almost exhausted, and it's usually too crazy at most pubs.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

No spoilers!

Your time zone is 40 minutes behind Daz?  Living on the 13th floor is weird.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited January 1

NylonGirl said:

So, what I would like is a really tall mirror that, when I looked at it, would show me a fairly accurate reflection of everything in the room... except that when I look at myself, I see what I would like to see rather than reality or whatever. I'm pretty sure I'd program it to make me Cheetara from the Thundercats.

I am pretty sure that is already possible

I mean your "mirror" would be an LED screen with a camera and a computer or android/iOS device running augmented reality software using AI

it might lag a bit and occasionly flick to you when out of bounds of the filter

face tracking pretty good, I did have Animaze installed which worked well, realtime body tracking not so great

update, apparently Animaze now does body tracking and hands, I need to reinstall Steam one day

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Fixmypcmike said:

kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

No spoilers!

Your time zone is 40 minutes behind Daz?  Living on the 13th floor is weird.

...actually living in Portland is weird.

It should have been 42 min (and I used to be a math wiz in school...sheesh) blush  

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

No spoilers!

11:17 PM... unless there's a last minute twist... so far it looks like it was an inside job... The chinchillas did...............................................................

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited January 1

I still have about 16 minutes to go!  There was a time when I would have been out with friends and family celebrating, but I am happy to be inside watching the ball drop from the comfort of my apartment! LOL smiley

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! heart

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

A Concert Ticket From a Typical Show in 2020

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Happy New Year

...still have two hours and 44 minutes to go here on the Left Coast 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

Happy New Year everyone.

This discussion has been closed.