virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• Thanks again, Dartanbeck.  What I'm doing is my usual - I get an idea, try to see whether I can do it then move on to another idea before the first has gotten anywhere.  I really am Mr Never-get-anything-finished, unfortunately.

The little animation came about from starting to make character clothes for - you've guessed - an animation.  I have a piece of music which inspired me to break it down into portions of a few seconds each because the music sets off a flow of visual images in my mind.  That animation needs me to build sets, clothing, props and so on.

Well I made the first bit of clothing and tried it out in Poser's Cloth Room.  At the same time I tried out my first Aniblock - in Poser.  Then I decided to show the process for anyone interested - the thread is in the Art Studio section of the forum on page two and is fast disappearing into the vortex of obscurity where uninspiring threads go.

Next I thought of putting the animations into a scene and began randomly choosing a few things until I ended up with a graveyard scene.  But once I did that, a Halloween story came to mind.  So I made a few scenes of that (which are done) but the story grew in my mind into something longer where I will need to make custom props, clothing and so on.  I've downloaded some images of Thirties clothing which I will use as references.

In the course of all that, I was happily enjoying learning more about using Poser.  With my extremely simple clothing the Cloth Room works well but every adjustment I made to actions on the timeline or changes to the positioning of things turned everything into a mess.  Maybe I need to learn more but I got fed up in the end with Poser's keyframe editor - which I don't understand very well - and decided to try again Dudu's tip of getting scenes from Poser into Carrara using the free 'DynToMorphs' Python script.   That brought me to the clips I showed above.  And it also brought me back to the refreshing waters of using Carrara.   Two things that were immediately better: renders were so very much faster and it was possible to place the animated figures where I wanted in the scene.  In Poser I was bound to where the simulation took place and changing one keyframe made no difference to subsequent frames - hence the kind of mess I spoke about.  (Actually, making slight limb adjustments in Poser can have the effect of making that limb do all kinds of abnormal things elsewhere on the timeline - it's hard to figure it out).

I'm finding that If I animate a figure in Poser along with a Cloth Room simulation I can open that scene in Carrara (after using the DynToMorphs script) with just the figure and clothing.  If I export it as .fbx and re-import it, it becomes a little animated fixture that can be scaled, duplicated, positioned anywhere.  That is how I made the Carrara clip above.

So now I have two animations in the (very, very) slow works.  And I'm still trying to get a good workflow going. 

Lastly, I am a total fan of the VWD program.  I just haven't yet bought the plugin for Carrara.  I have a robot-created follower at the site where the plugin sells and I had my bank card compromised somewhere around the same time - the compromise could have happened anywhere I used the card, I'm not blaming the site.  I would love to use the plugin in Carrara when I get a safe way of buying it.

Since I've gone this far intruding on the thread, here are some Cloth Room simulations I made tonight in Poser using the simplest of simple meshes.  The VWD software would have made a better job of these, I'm sure.  You can see the obvious flaws

Also the Art Studio thread in case anyone has nothing better to do (I hope you can tell I don't recommend my own witterings)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/198736/making-a-simple-clothing-item#latest

Seated11.jpg
    1404 x 861 - 62K
    V4Hoodie.jpg
    1085 x 861 - 97K
    V4Hoodie5.jpg
    1404 x 861 - 107K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

(First typing this, then checking your other thread)

Yeah Misty, sorry for the side-track... oh... wait... is there such a thing as a side-track to this thread? Hmmm ;)

Fantastic Marcus! Very cool report.

Before I (finally) bought Carrara I was getting into the Cloth Room pretty heavily for a while. I found some really nice free cloth to start with, which was recommended by someone. It all seems so long ago. But I did some searches and followed some leads and did a bunch of research, including reading the manual that came with Poser 5 or 6 about it, and then started converting conforming clothing into dynamic, by first converting it to a (non-smart) prop, so that it no longer had rigging, and went into the Cloth Room to manually set up the dynamic parameters - kinda-sorta like we now do in VWD. But I'm sure I'm not remembering it well enough. I bet VWD is a LOT easier to work with beyond just the fact that we don't really have to convert anything first.

Anyway, the free cloth that I used was very simple mesh - and it worked pretty darned good. I think that the modeler hit subdivide a few times after making the simple mesh, because it had quite a few polygons even though the shape was purposely kept very simple.

Oh yeah! Going from Poser to Carrara was a true dream come true for me - even if all I ever did was to use Carrara as an easie-to-use and faster Poser! Animating, rendering, lighting, working with materials, being able to edit mesh... I was in heaven - and I'm still enjoying that feeling seven and a half years later! 

Philemo's plugin is awesome. While it is actually a bridge from Carrara to VWD and back, it has other nifty functions as well, like the option to weld seams(!!!) upon sending to VWD! I had an issue with it on my Win 7 Carrara machine, where I'd be using it, but (just yesterday) I applied the latest fix (and un-screwed some of my own tinkerings that helped to mess things up, I'm sure) and now it's working perfectly! So I'll be using it and showing examples very soon! It certainly brings a LOT to the Carrara table, which is already the best soft for my needs above and beyond all others.

I have to say: as much as I couldn't stand animating in Poser, DS gives me a big headache! Who ever decided to hide the camera control when a tab is open? Key-cuts seem impossible for me to get....

On a different thing altogether, check out this cool interview with famous comic artist, Todd McFarlane (Art Station)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

This thread is always a bit off kilter... that's why it's a must read. :)

wgdjohn said:

Agreed! 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    wgdjohn said:

Agreed! 

+1 smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I think Misty would prefer the kilt a bit off the thread heart

• @Dartanbeck,

Thanks for your comments - I must get in touch with the other site and buy some things there again - first of all the plugin.

Also, thanks for taking a look at the other thread and commenting.  I've replied properly to you there.

I'm sure you're aware of my love for the animation work in Star Wars The Clone Wars. In at least one of the behind-the-scenes features I have in this playlist, Killian talks about cloth and how expensive it can be on production costs - but sometimes it just has to be done.

Keeping that in mind as I move forward, I still try to do as much as I can with morphs and noise or oscillating tweeners. Noise seems to work well for minor cloth and hair movement on conforming figures with morphs. But I am overjoyed to have VWD and the Carrara plugin for it so that I can blend the possibilities between conforming and dynamics, all in the same cloth/hair! I think it's really cool how we can leave portions of the conforming figures as normal operation, and then selecting specific regions to become dynamic. Exactly what I was trying to achieve in Poser's Cloth Room - but I'd do so separately instead of how elegantly VWD works.

i like kilts smiley

dynamic kilt on a breezy day, could be a pinup for the #36 challenge angel

• No man should wear a kilt while parachuting - unless he is is a soldier and wants to frighten the enemy.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hello Misty!
    With these names with a little ambiguities on Internet, I was not sure that you were a woman… Now, I am sure!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    Mistara said:

i like kilts smiley

dynamic kilt on a breezy day, could be a pinup for the #36 challenge angel

Ask, and ye shall receive.  

old version
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2921646/#Comment_2921646
    to be updated for Misty's G3M and Viktoria's Lukas character.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2934121/#Comment_2934121

Feral Fey's husband has a really cool kilt - I want one just like it!

tee hee  dudes in kilts playing golf.  

doing their little hip wiggle at the tee ...

,,, 4

ROFL!!!

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah...

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

hole in one surprise

edited October 2017

Yeah, CD Projekt RED has come a long way since The Witcher 1, but I still love this opening cinematic of the first one - even Geralt's look back then. This is so cool, and very inspiring for animating ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

yes

this one made me love the game, a little masterpiece imo

yes

Absolutely!

It was this (Low Res, by nowadays' standards) opening cinematic that got me to want to learn to animate - and that was before I knew anything about 3d modeling or anything like that. 

Yeah, CD Projekt RED has come a long way since The Witcher 1, but I still love this opening cinematic of the first one - even Geralt's look back then. This is so cool, and very inspiring for animating ;)

+1000000

yes

+1000000

Stezza said:

hole in one surprise

or 2? 

reading in the commons, something dodgy bout the g8 eye geometry

soldiers dont march anymores?  they wing suit from vtol 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

someone put BeeGees music to NK marching soldiers.

edited October 2017

kilts havent caught on there.laugh

how do space v(w)essels put on the brakes?

does a vessel need to be a certain mass, or under a mass, to planet hop within the sun's sphere of gravity

what was that stuff they used in Dune?

can ships run on pumpkin spice

i've never heard of rovers going to Venus

Post edited by Mistara on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If your spaceship acceletates from stationary at 1G for an hour, it'll be going very fast (78,973 mph if I haven't screwed up the maths). If you want to slam on the brakes, you need to decelerate -which is the same as accelerating in the opposite direction - at 1G for an hour. Or 2G for 30 minutes. Or 4G for 15 minutes, etc. Typically if the spaceship is pointing forwards during the acceleration phase, you'd turn it around (using small attitude boosters) to point backwards for the deceleration.

Not an expert on orbital mechanics, but I don't think the mass of the object is significant (beyond the amount of energy required to give it momentum). Escape velocity from the Earth is 11 Km/s, and from the sun is 42 Km/s (Wikipedia)

Sand?

Probably needs anti-pumpkin spice

There were some probes in the 70s and 80s, but they didn't last more than an hour or two. There's talk of building a purely mechanical (essentially clockwork) lander for Venus in the not too distant future.

There were some probes in the 70s and 80s, but they didn't last more than an hour or two. 

...but the images they retrieved were spectacular. Images of Hell!

There's talk of building a purely mechanical (essentially clockwork) lander for Venus in the not too distant future.

Cool. The future truly needs us to keep pushing forward on learning space travel ;)  But it'll be wonderful to see what they discover on Venus.

Speaking of Venus, when it is brightest in the sky to our unaided vision, look at it in a telescope and it'll just be a sliver, like a sliver of the moon. Pretty cool. I was never really all that into looking at Venus. The first thing I pointed my telescope at, after fully refurbishing it from completely unuseable, was Mars. I was in awe. I did a small digital painting of what I saw, and pasted it onto my telescope. 

My scope is fantastic for looking at planets and the moon. Saturn looks truly amazing and Jupiter is mind-blowing. But what I really like to hunt with it are nebulae, star clusters and galaxies - listed in order of favorites. The Lagoon nebula puts me into a very artistic mood. But then I give the scope a nudge to see the Trifid... I leave it tracking and just soak in the beauty of it. 

The amazing Trifid Nebula

The majestic Lagoon Nebula

Both in the same field

Treasure map to find them