virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

pity we have lost the Carrara cakes and lollies thread on old forum forever crying

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    th3Digit said:

pity we have lost the Carrara cakes and lollies thread on old forum forever crying

pecan pie model? smiley

Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

pecan pie model? smiley

was years and years before that

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    Mistara said:

ty smileylaugh

rendering like baking cookies, doose it with lheartve?

actually, baking cookies should help clear rainydaydrums.  choccy moon pies 

Well... so does a good render, doesn't it? devil

th3Digit said:
    Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

pecan pie model? smiley

was years and years before that

I too miss the old forum. 

Yeah, CD Projekt RED has come a long way since The Witcher 1, but I still love this opening cinematic of the first one - even Geralt's look back then. This is so cool, and very inspiring for animating ;)

sunlight sparklie on water.  is beautiful.

he's fighting a striga, or strigga in this.  different from a bruxa.

can never remember if condenser mic is the omnidirectional 

do i need one of these?

Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First

with my christmas money, figuring i have about 300$ budget to make the most of for a recording setup.

so far,i have the sony acid and sony soundforge. a mic arm clamped to my desk.  a cheap mic >,<  need an upgrade.

thinking i could get the foams to hang behind me for acoustics damping. could glue em to a curtain behind me. 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

You will definitely need an audio interface such as the one you illustrated to link your mic to your computer. The Scarlett range have a good reputation. If you are using a condenser mic (yes, they are usually omnidirectional) you will need an interface with an XLR commentor for the mic.  I'm not enough of an expert to recommend specific models, but I am thinking that that you will probably get better results with a good microphone and an average audio interface rather than a low cost mic and a great interface. Just my 2c worth (or 2p worth in my case!) - maybe Dart will see this thread and chip in.

thanks.  choices are so complicated

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I have a Rode Procaster in a shock mount. Awesome mic. Dynamic rather than condenser (pro: doesn't need external power, directional response. con: slightly narrower frequency response, although I personally can't hear a difference). And the Shure SM58 is the classic "ice cream cone" handheld. Again dynamic.

If you do want to use a condenser mic, make sure the mixer you plug it into has power out of the XLR for it. (often there's an on/off button for that)

Also, do get a shock mount and a pop filter. Cheap accessories, but they make a big difference.

pop filter is to protect from T's and S's smiley

this?   this procaster would take most of my budget. 

As Phil said, you kinda get what you pay for when it comes to microphones. The Rode is about £118 UK on Amazon, as is the Shure (I paid about 90 for mine 3 years ado). Compares to £90 for the Scarlett Solo (nice bit of kit). There's a lot of similar looking microphones around half the price, I tried a few around the time I bought mine, and they were noticeably noisy compared to the Rode.

Thing to do is find a music store where they'll let you audition a bunch of microphones with the kit you want to use (take a laptop & your mixing sw to plug it into. If you already have the Scarlett, take that too. And headphones!) Downside is they'll expect you to buy the mic from them, and that might be a little more expensive than, say, Amazon.

Best mic might also depend on the application - music, voice etc. Mine's definitely set up for voice (I use it for narration).

It's also a fundamental law of the universe that the thing you want is just a bit more than your budget allows!

Yeah, I've heard that once a recording engineer has used a Telefunken U47(high-end condensor: $9,000 and up ) they never want to go back. The mic is the most important part of that chain. Of course, dirty power can screw that up too. Sound perfection is an art and a science. My guy has a degree in it and is awesome! The images are of the Telefunken U47. Yes, it comes with both that case and the wooden box and all that stuff. Have I ever used one/seen one in person? Nope. Just used here as an example that "The Best Microphone" can turn into a treasure hunt. 

I sing all the time and play my drums for money, but I am no expert when it comes to questions like this!  That Rode that Tim has is a highly recommended mic for this stuff. Top Gear, that! But, like you say, you need other stuff too. Try looking around first - well... I guess that's exactly what you;re doing! ;)

But I can say that, for a limited budget, you can find a great mic that will fit. Maybe not the Best, but something that will do. I have been singing through Sure SM58 mics all my life, and they've always been $99 give or take. Not the best (arguably) mics in world but are probably the most sold. Very durable and are very well designed. Used on stages and in studios world wide.

The less expensive brother, the SM57 is amazing as well.

Am I suggesting either of them? Well... I don't really know how they'd compete with something else for the same price range. Tough call. 

The fine folks at Sweetwater (you in the US?) are amazing at this stuff - answering these kinds of questions, and always have some of the best (New) prices I've found. Here's their Studio Microphone Buying Guide

Again, this isn't my thing. But I do know that Behringer has been making a big name for themselves lately - decent/high quality at value prices. Their rather inexpensive condesor mics, C1, C2, C4, and so on, are getting great reviews from studio and live performers alike - which is always a good thing. They probably have a great deal on that audio interface you need. Behringer makes a lot of good pro sound gear - and is priced more for those on tight budgets. They were a real welcome to the industry!

The Behringer C1U gets well spoken of (USB connection rather than XLR), although I have no direct experience of it.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Mistara said:

in a slump 

heavy sigh

hope you are out of your slump...

if not just think Australian..... and all will be good 

only 45 days smiley

The Behringer C1U gets well spoken of (USB connection rather than XLR), although I have no direct experience of it.

Yeah. I saw that while I was grabbing the Sweetwater links. I've spent that much on the paperweight I bought last. I mean... it's a nice SM58-looking brand new pile of crap sitting on my desk looking pretty to remind me to not make that mistake again! LOL

Perhaps one day I'll grab one (C1) and see.

Stezza said:
    Mistara said:

in a slump 

heavy sigh

hope you are out of your slump...

if not just think Australian..... and all will be good 

only 45 days smiley

Love this! yes

...and I too hope that you've left the slump! :)

Ahh, expensive paperweights! I've spent a fortune on those over the years, lol (one day I really am gonna learn to play that Yamaha keyboard . . .)

...and if not "Learn", at least get on it and mess around. What a great thing to have!

I love my big ol' midi controller. Full size piano keyboard, 88 weighted keys... feels like home. I bought the Miroslav Philharmonik Orchestra (in 5.1 Dolby for proper positioning of each seat in the symphony) to be able to create scores with, and also have a small pile of other VSTs to mess with.

I'm no pianist, but I can still make some lovely (at least "I" think so) melodies! ;)

In fact, a lot of the times I'll actually create the melodies on my guitar first, then figure out (this part takes me time) how to play that on the keys.

As we are talking music, if anyone is interested here is a link where you can hear some of my music. I mostly use an iPad for music production these days.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-wilkes

PhilW said:

As we are talking music, if anyone is interested here is a link where you can hear some of my music. I mostly use an iPad for music production these days.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-wilkes

Awesome stuff! And there's Phil with his Yamaha!!! Sweet!

Yeah, Behringer (and everyone else) now has mixing boards that are fully adjusted via iPad. Both of my bands use that setup - though the various actual reievers may vary. And it all works with Avid's ProTools, which my singer/producer uses. Cool stuff!

Still focusing most of my attention on learning and practicing the visual aspects of my production, I'm still just using MusicMaker... but it is still a powerful tool for recording my stuff in. I still haven't hooked up my new e-drums to it, but look forward to doing so!

Wow. You music is playing in my ears as I type this. Very cool stuff!  yes Here's two thumbs way up! yes

Funny that we're talking about this stuff now, as I'm in the midle of writing music as we speak, for a fellow PA, who I'm doing a promotional video for ;)

Unknown Arrival - Any "Yes" inspiration there? Reminds me a lot of Yes!

I'll have to dig out my photo of me with Rick Wakeman backstage after one of his gigs - an avid Yes fan, you got me!

• PhilW said:

I'll have to dig out my photo of me with Rick Wakeman backstage after one of his gigs - an avid Yes fan, you got me!

OMG he was a legend

and I loved Yes, Asia and all those other awesome 80's bands with keyboard geniuses, it started back in my even younger years hearing the doors and Ray Manzarek

PhilW said:

You did! It's in here somewhere! So envious! Yeah... I am a forever Yes fan, myself!

th3Digit said:
    PhilW said:

OMG he was a legend

and I loved Yes, Asia and all those other awesome 80's bands with keyboard geniuses, it started back in my even younger years hearing the doors and Ray Manzarek

Me too. I never got to see the Doors though. In high school people said that I sounded like Jim when I sang - so I started pushing that idea. 

edited November 2017
    PhilW said:

You did! It's in here somewhere! So envious! Yeah... I am a forever Yes fan, myself!

th3Digit said:
    PhilW said:

OMG he was a legend

Me too. I never got to see the Doors though. In high school people said that I sounded like Jim when I sang - so I started pushing that idea. 

I never saw any of them either

concerts were beyond my means as a teen with no income when the Doors were around 

and pretty broke later for the others, could barely afford albums which I still have

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Wendy says this one sounds kinda Pink Floyd-ish. The main Morphs vocals were inspired by Rush 2112 overture: "We have assumed Control", while the background Texture Presets vocals were an attempt to sound something like Geralt of Rivia. The video is only supposed to show the morphing of the mesh. When I was ready to super-impose texts of the morphs and textures used, Wendy said that if I had vocals to my song, it might sound like 3 Doors Down - so I almost sang it that way. But her comment to my instrumental, which used to have a guitar lead soloing through almost half of it, got me to thinking: I could use vocals to define the morphs and textures and not obscure the main reason for the video: to watch the mesh change shape!

So... the vocals are all Wendy's fault... in a way

• lol don’t point at me, I would lipsync him and have him booty dance blush

cool video Dart yes