Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    th3Digit said:

lol don’t point at me, I would lipsync him and have him booty dance blush

cool video Dart yes

Well, I can't go steeling your brand, now can I?!!! angel

Thanks! heart

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Great video Dart, I'm sure that MatCreator will be delighted!

• Terrific presentation, Dart!  I'm still hoping that he changes the name, but you have shown off his product well.

• Witcher mod video, an hour of Geralt  for Misty

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

took me all week to remember the name of this song smiley
    1 of these steves is from Yes

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Steve Howe from Yes and Steve Hackett from Genesis - they had a short-lived band called GTR. Steve Hackett usually attends the Classic Rock Society Awards Nights and as I am a member, I have chatted to him several times! (And his brother John who played flute in the Steve Hackett Band and has done a couple of albums of his own). 

th3Digit said:

Witcher mod video, an hour of Geralt  for Misty

Geralt heartdevil

http://www.interestprint.com/help/howitwork ;  ?

looks interesting, mebbe print renders on swag?

PhilW said:

Steve Howe from Yes and Steve Hackett from Genesis - they had a short-lived band called GTR. Steve Hackett usually attends the Classic Rock Society Awards Nights and as I am a member, I have chatted to him several times! (And his brother John who played flute in the Steve Hackett Band and has done a couple of albums of his own). 

a remastered GTR for dvd quality would be kewl.

settled on the rode, come this far may as well go all the way.

dunno what i need to plug the rode into the lil mic jack.  looks like cable is separate buy from the mic.  but seems goes into xlr 1st

would like option to plug into usb or lil mic jack.

and i'll need headphones dont want sound from tv feeding back into the mic.

how so complicated ? 

Mistara said:

settled on the rode, come this far may as well go all the way.

dunno what i need to plug the rode into the lil mic jack.  looks like cable is separate buy from the mic.  but seems goes into xlr 1st

would like option to plug into usb or lil mic jack.

and i'll need headphones dont want sound from tv feeding back into the mic.

how so complicated ? 

I didn't know you didn't know this stuff before. Sounded like you already knew a lot of this, with that interface option you posted, which takes the mic from XLR to the computer. Definitely not going to want anything else running in the same room while you're recording. Even any adjacent rooms unless you did the foam thing you were talking about.

Our studio's walls have been engineered to be sound-dampening and still have the foam on each wall. We can add ambience (opposing the foam) by adding sound-reflective objects or panels into the room, though I've never seen that done myself.

In addition to all of that, we also have the foam isolation masks that can go around the mic and whoever is speaking/singing into it as well as the wind and 's' panel that goes between the mic and the mouth - not sure what that thing is called.

On top of all of that, he has some extraordinarily expensive microphones for various situations.

how good could this look with properly set up ca shaders?

Did you already buy the Rode? Because I think they offer a usb version - I think TangoAlpha mentioned it.

i didnt buy yet.  is in my amazon cart.  still figuring this out.

Do you have a microphone now?

I've recently discovered (no secret to the rest of the world, I've learned) how to remove the audible humming noise from my cheap old headset mic using Audacity, and OpenSource audio studio software. Works great and is a powerful tool. Just the Noise Removal tool is powerful in its own right, and that's just a speck of it - but it's all I've used of it so far.

Mistara said:

do i need one of these?

Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First

with my christmas money, figuring i have about 300$ budget to make the most of for a recording setup.

so far,i have the sony acid and sony soundforge. a mic arm clamped to my desk.  a cheap mic >,<  need an upgrade.

thinking i could get the foams to hang behind me for acoustics damping. could glue em to a curtain behind me. 

You do need one of these (I've been told) if you want to use an XLR mic. Yes, they have cords and adapters that can get you into the 1/8" mic In jack on your computer, but there will likely be impedance issues that will render your sound input to not much, if any, better than whatever cheapo mic you might already have.

Do keep in mind that good, professional sound equipment is over your budget, for the most part, from what I've just read of your situation above.

That';s not to say you can't get good audio using the budget you have - it just means that you'll have to do more DIY on your own to ensure your sound turns out decent quality.

My crappy audio comes from at least two major issues. 

1. My house isn't grounded well - still have the ancient braided paper insulated wiring and screw-in fuse boxes located around the house
    2. My eight-core wind-tunneled PC tower is located up on my desk, right next to me (I don't like it on the floor where it can capture more dust)

After noticing the nasty hum in my screen capture recording, I tried diluting it using EQ. Kinda helped but only if comparing one to the other - in other words, although "I" could hear the improvement, it was still there, and loud enough for all to notice.

I bought a new mic. Didn't change anything. I borrowed a power conditioner, granted, it was a $500 one - not a really expensive one. Still over my non-existent budget! LOL Oh... and it didn't help.

After just recently seeing a HitFilm tutorial with that Audacity trick in it, I wanted to give it a try. I was absolutely amazed at how I could remove that noise - entirely. Its powerful setting can remove even more than that, so we have to be careful and set it properly. In the video I posted above, he said that default settings are fine. Such was almost true for me too, but there was still some noise underlying in there - so I tweaked the settings a bit and it actually cut of part of my voice. Tweaked back a bit and it came out so nice and clean I was absolutely amazed.

That's how I did the voice tracks on this, along with some effects applied in Vegas afterwards. I have SoundForge, but couldn't find how to remove noise with it. Free Audacity does it so easily!

Sound-dampening foam (as well as those super-expensive curtains one sees in a stage theater) is great for reducing stray noises, but will never keep things like TVs, fans, radios, talking people, dogs, cats, etc., etc., from invading your recording. 

So if pure recordings are your target, consider relocating the device doing the recordings to a much more isolated area - like a room within a room, if you can. Then we can used foam in the various rooms to help halt the sound from penetrating all the way through to your studio.

You would be amazed if you saw what my singer just put into his studio, building the sound booths. The walls are really thick - but it's not just the thickness that does it. There's this special sound-deadening material that reminds me of sort sort of asphalt board - like cardboard filings mixed with tar and made into a solid sheet 1/2" thick. That stuff is just outside the special drywall. Behind the drywall are 6" walls filled with the proper sound-proofing insulation - again, pretty expensive stuff. Outside that asphalt-like board stuff are more layers of stuff before finally ending in drywall again. That was textured and painted and then had panels of thick foam placed as designated by the sound engineer (My band's ex-drummer, my ex-Dungeon Master). It doesn't line the walls end to end, floor to ceiling, it's more like picture frame sized (well, a bit bigger than that) panels well placed.

Audio interfaces are built into the walls for getting the microphones to the recording studio (which is sound proofed as well) and for connecting headsets and such for communication to and from. He also added special plexiglass windows.

So when I'm in a booth and speak with my normal voice (which is a pretty loud voice) people in the other parts of the studio cannot hear me. If I were to go in there with my drums, however, yeah.. you'd hear those. All of that cost wasn't done to keep that sound from getting out, even though it really does a great job, considering drums are illegally loud otherwise, but it is meant to keep from unwanted noise infecting the sound going into the microphone(s).

But after saying all of that, we can do some pretty simple, inexpensive things to help isolate our recordings (especially just voice recordings) to produce a decent result. Worst case scenario we might need to hit it with Audacity's Noise Removal a bit.

Things like memory foam matress toppers, foam insulation, draping heavy blankets around the recording area... look around the house for something that can help to block sound. Chances are, it can help.

My singer put a LOT of money into his studio. But that was all money that the studio made for itself already. Big difference from doing some hobby recording - or even small project recording.

I'm thinking about making a semi-cylinder thingy out of foam on cardboard (that corrugated stuff) that goes between me and my PC tower for when I record to try and reduce the amount of noise to be removed.

Lots of ways to think outside the box for free, allowing us to buy the actual mic and/or interface stuff we really want.

didnt know audacity could remove noise.  thanks, thats awesome news.

smiley the poo'mans sound damping foam 

Yes. Then we have a more crisp audio file to work with.

• I had a couple Carrara renders of Skull Cove in my gallery at one point, but it looks like I removed them. I'll see if I can find them on one of my backup drives. It looked pretty good I thought.

Mistara said:

how good could this look with properly set up ca shaders?

Thanks for reminding me. That is one cool collection of stuff I need to grab.

it looks wam there.

Mistara said:

it looks wam there.

...and Toon-like! ;)

Mistara said:

it looks wam there.

...and Toon-like! ;)

i

a krakken may lurk

Aye, Matey! She may be a lurkin' at that, I say's! Arrrr!!!

Quick side-note: Damn, my Rosie makes an amazing stew!!! Yum!!! heart

Some mic demos for Misty - Rockin' Kids!!!