Brow Remover (Commercial)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Well I got a bizarre result from  Brow Remover just now. I loaded a scene that used Alexandra 8. I ran Brow Remover and selected the Genesis 8 Female mask. I applied the mask and saved a Material Preset. The I rendered the character. The face is white and all the makeup seems to be out of place or something. Alexandra 8 comes with a no brow textures, but I wasn't using them. Since I had the character all set up already, I just wanted to remove the existing brows. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that Alexandra 8 uses Diffuse Overlay PNG files for her makeup. Does Brow Remover have problems with that? 

Alexandra 8 no brows saved preset.jpg
    1236 x 1236 - 721K
    Screenshot 2018-06-20 16.42.00.png
    470 x 721 - 85K
    Screenshot 2018-06-20 16.43.46.png
    626 x 357 - 75K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Did you try loading the material preset rather than running it right after brow remover ran?  Sometimes I've seen weird glitches like this that go away with reloading a texture or killilg studio and reopening the file.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited June 2018

I'm a bit confused. Alexandra 8 has no brows on the textures, so why would you run Brow Remover?

Post edited by Zev0 on
    Zev0 said:

I'm a bit confused. Alexandra 8 has no brows on the textures, so why would you run Brow Remover?

Because I already had the character loaded and the skin material settings adjusted to my liking. I did not want to apply one of the Alexandra 8 no brow textures at that point, because that changes a lot of settings. I originally thought the no brow makeup materials incluided in Alexandra 8 would just change the diffuse overlay settings, but they change much more. For example, they changes Translucency Weight and Transmitted Color, both of which I had modified from default. I just wanted to remove the brows from what I currently had loaded. It seemed to be the perfect use case for Brow Remover.

Did you try loading the material preset rather than running it right after brow remover ran?  Sometimes I've seen weird glitches like this that go away with reloading a texture or killilg studio and reopening the file.

I reloaded the saved materials, after rendering it immediately resulted in such a mess, but the saved materials produced the same result. I can see that the saved texture file is wrong, so no reloading or restarting will fix this particular problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

edited June 2018

Try this..Apply Brow Remover, save browless material preset, load that preset on figure then save scene. If the preset isn't applied, what the scene is saving is temp files that brow remover used. Those can be overwritten since they temp files, but if preset is saved, the textures are now saved and loaded and are not temp.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited June 2018
    Zev0 said:

Try this..Apply Brow Remover, save browless material preset, load that preset on figure then save scene. If the preset isn't applied, what the scene is saving is temp files that brow remover used. Those can be overwritten since they temp files, but if preset is saved, the textures are now saved and loaded and are not temp.

I'll try this after my current render finishes, but I am skeptical. I can see that the saved texture file created by Brow Remover looks wrong. I put the red Xs on the texture file thumbnails, because I don't think I'm allowed to post product textures in the forum. Hopefully these little thumbnails are good enough for you to see the issue with the saved texture file. maybe I did something wrong, so I'll restart Daz Studio and do it all again from scratch.

Bad No Brow Texture.JPG
    488 x 189 - 33K
    Post edited by barbult on

I redid it from scratch and got the same result. The makup texture file saved by the Brow Remover is wrong.

edited June 2018

Hmmmmmm. Brow remover's aim was to save base skins with no brows, not ones with makeup as those are added afterwards. If you are adding makeup, maybe save as a standard material preset in studio, not one via Brow Remover, as that saving is only for browless base skin saving. So apply Brow Remover to base skin, save as browless option, load that preset onto skin so it sources saved textures from texture folder not from temp, then apply makeup, now save as material preset via studio. Let me know if that works.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    Zev0 said:

Hmmmmmm. Brow remover's aim was to save base skins with no brows, not ones with makeup as those are added afterwards. If you are adding makeup, maybe save as a standard material preset in studio, not one via Brow Remover, as that saving is only for browless base skin saving. So apply Brow Remover to base skin, save as browless option, load that preset onto skin so it sources saved textures from texture folder not from temp, then apply makeup, now save as material preset via studio. Let me know if that works.

I believe that would work, but since the Daz base characters that I own already have browless options, it is kind unnecessary. I wanted to save a browless version of the character I had already finished modifying. Since that does not work, if I have to start over, I would just use the Daz browless materials to start with. In this particular case, I think I can manually swap out the makeup diffuse overlay textures for the ones with no brows and accomplish what I need. I can avoid even using Brow Remover.

Thanks for your advice and attention, though. If I deal with a character with makeup and no browless material in the future, I will keep this in mind.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited June 2018

@barbult In fact the brows when makeup is used is on the makeup layer.

In Surfaces go to face then diffuse overlay weight and diffuse overlay color. Click on the thumbnail of the map then on browse (it will take you to Alexandra textures folder) and load the make up file without eyebrows. The texture map with eyebrows are called for example Alexandra8FaceMU01a and the no eyebrow Alexandra8FaceMU01. That's why brow remover is having problems.

Hope it makes sense.

Screen captures :

alexandra makeup eyebrows1.jpg
    216 x 124 - 23K
    alexandra makeup eyebrows2.jpg
    653 x 703 - 151K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
    edited June 2018

Indeed. That is what I was trying to say above, too. I tried it out, and your technique works perfectly. I was able to get rid of the brows just by changing the Diffuse Overlay Weight and Diffuse Overlay Color maps on the face surface.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

I have merchant resources that still have eyebrows on the texture.  I want to remove the eyebrows.  Would I be able to use this to remove the brows and save the results to continue to work on the texture with the same rights as I had before I removed the eyebrows?  or do I have to do it manually?

Yes. You can use this on a resource and maintain the rights.
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

How do you load a Materials Preset?

When I restart Daz Studio, all the Brows return. There's obviously a place I save the Materials Preset, but once I load a scene, I see no option to LOAD a materials preset.

I'm hoping it's not a matter of using the Content Library and searching for that save place manually- everytime I want to load an edited character.

Is there some way to Save A Character AS IS and have Daz remember I used the Brow Remover script?

AND is that broken if I installed my content using the Smart Content Installer- because the figure is saved in a cloud directory? - adn you script cannot save in those places, where the character files is stored?

edited June 2018

"Is there some way to Save A Character AS IS and have Daz remember I used the Brow Remover script?"

No. If you use brow remover the textures to remove brows are only temp files until saved. We cannot force it to overwrite source textures. You need to save a browless preset, load that preset back onto character in your scene then save. This way your scene now uses the saved browless textures. If brow remover relied on temp files that is unreliable because temp files get overwritten and replaced all the time. So if you like the browless version of the skin you made, save it, load it back and then save scene or character skin. Then it will always load. Also to find path of the skin preset of your character, just rightclick and say browse to file location, then use that path to save the browless version so it will be in same place. I am not sure how this will work with cloubd based skins as this product was released before smart content was even a thing.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    Zev0 said:

"Is there some way to Save A Character AS IS and have Daz remember I used the Brow Remover script?"

No. If you use brow remover the textures to remove brows are only temp files until saved. We cannot force it to overwrite source textures. You need to save a browless preset, load that preset back onto character in your scene then save. This way your scene now uses the saved browless textures. If brow remover relied on temp files that is unreliable because temp files get overwritten and replaced all the time. So if you like the browless version of the skin you made, save it, load it back and then save scene or character skin. Then it will always load. Also to find path of the skin preset of your character, just rightclick and say browse to file location, then use that path to save the browless version so it will be in same place. I am not sure how this will work with cloub based skins as this product was released before smart content was even a thing.

For characters and materials that are installed with Daz Connect, you MUST select a different non-connect content library as the destination for both the JPEG textures and the material preset saved by Brow Remover. 

I can guarantee it won't work. Daz won't let you save in that cloud folder AND it won't see files in any cloud folder unless the BIG directory listing Daz Creates- has it there, which is found where and written to, HOW I don't know. You'd know better about file locations and save places, but yeah, unless Daz officially "puts it there" it doesn't see it. lol.

When I save as a Materials Preset, it lets me choose the place. How do I open a materials preset "save" your script only has save as an option, no load or import.

AND when I save the scene, even with a manual saved Materials Preset, the next-scene-open has the character with a blank face.

At any rate, I can't keep worrying about this.

It's really only 1 character whose brows were a problem. And since I do comics, I am constantly merging characters into scenes.

Aside from re-loading everytime, which is dead simple, it's not a troubling work-around.

Thanks!

edited June 2018

Once you save your JPEG texture files and material preset to a non-connect content library with Brow Remover, you should LOAD that saved Material file back on to your character, so those saved files are actually used. (Immediately after running Brow Remover you are looking at TEMPORARY files on your character. Those will not be saved in your saved scene.) You do not load the saved material preset from within Brow Remover. You load it just like any other material preset, by locating it where you saved it in the Content Library and applying it to your character. Then save your scene. Next time you open the scene, the character will be browless. If you want to able to load a figure and have it load with your new browless material, you need to save a character preset AFTER loading the saved browless material on the basic character.

edited June 2018
    barbult said:
    Zev0 said:

No. If you use brow remover the textures to remove brows are only temp files until saved. We cannot force it to overwrite source textures. You need to save a browless preset, load that preset back onto character in your scene then save. This way your scene now uses the saved browless textures. If brow remover relied on temp files that is unreliable because temp files get overwritten and replaced all the time. So if you like the browless version of the skin you made, save it, load it back and then save scene or character skin. Then it will always load. Also to find path of the skin preset of your character, just rightclick and say browse to file location, then use that path to save the browless version so it will be in same place. I am not sure how this will work with cloub based skins as this product was released before smart content was even a thing.

For characters and materials that are installed with Daz Connect, you MUST select a different non-connect content library as the destination for both the JPEG textures and the material preset saved by Brow Remover. 

Ah. Well that sucks. Maybe create a browless folder outside connect and just save all browless options for all characters in there.
    Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited June 2018
    Zev0 said:
    barbult said:
    Zev0 said:

Ah. Well that sucks. Maybe create a browless folder outside connect and just save all browless options for all characters in there.

That folder would need to be in a mapped content directory in order for Daz Content Library to see it, so you could load it after saving. That works fine.

Yes that's what I meant to say. A universal folder outside of daz connect.

@barbult

Thank you so much. I read instructions about the temporary folder/file but I did not understand what that meant. Now I do!

edited June 2018

@barbult

Thank you so much. I read instructions about the temporary folder/file but I did not understand what that meant. Now I do!

Great! I'm glad it helped. yes

Remember to save the material preset from the Brow Remover script interface, using the button provided there, before you exit the script. If you just use the Daz menu Save As/Material Preset later, it will save a link to those temporary texture files that will be gone sometime later when you try to use your saved material preset. That is not what you want. 

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,057

Would'nt it work with a LIE baker? If the issue comes from the fact that the images are in a temp folder a LIE baker should make a copy in a mapped content folder, out of the cloud one?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Will it work with Genesis 8 when it's ready in September?

Confused. This already works with Genesis 8.
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited June 2018

Interesting.  I have always manually selected the mask.  Great product, I use it often.

Post edited by dracorn on

Has there been any update to get Brow Remover to automatically select the Genesis 3/8 mask when it is uesd on Genesis 8?

No. It is a mission to decrypt the product as I no longer have the source files. There is a way apparently, but it is complicated. If I do get it right I will let you know.