Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited July 2017

Crystal Dragon

Dragon Crystal 1 Topaz 1200.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

HW3D Big Cat... with it's teeth pulled surprise

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

It's awesome! How did you do fur?

Thanks vyusur... just in Carrara hair smiley

The fur is perfect!

takes a bit of fiddling with brushing and different fur lengths but it seems to have come out ok

thanks

I will try it with this cat.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow! Been away for quite some time... cool stuff going on! I knew there would be! ;)

Andy and Stringtheory, thanks for the fun files!!! 

My renders of the Streets of London just look flat. I've adjusted the shaders by changing highlights, shininess, etc, but they still don't pop like your image. Here's a couple of mine. Any suggestions?

Idea #1 - try bringing a more human feel to the image by dropping the camera down to street level, about the height of a person from the ground. This can make a HUGE difference right there... and then focus in on something. Perhaps you'll get a long view down a street, but not always. Even if whatever you're shooting a picture of isn't there yet... pretend you're taking a picture of a friend or loved one, who is standing in front of you - catch the scene as an after thought - or a vacation memory.

Fiddle with the brightest light in the scene to get some nice dramatic shadows to help show of bump maps, for example. Street scenes can be tough at first, getting around all of those buildings. Some might want to cheat by having the light avoid those buildings - don't do that. Work with them to help stream the light in - in one of those magic moments, which is what can really 'make' a great photo. That rare moment when the thrust knocks and the last light of....

Still working hard on a fairly large stone work project, while both rock bands (especially the new one) have been quite busy - leaving me no time to havefun on my computers :(

Seeing at least a brief end in these toils, I got all excited and picked up a few new items from the store to celebrate my reunion with Carrara, Howler, and this awesome forum. So I intend to work a lot of these new toys into my browser and make some fun renders along the way... here's the one I did today :)

I bought Petipet's Dominator Planet, not to be used as a planet for the Dominators, but to use as bits and parts for making many other cool things... and this is one of them, Station Nebula - so named for the 'nebula' appearance created from the air-born pollution the station endures to its hi-tech atmosphere.

A single volumetric cloud makes the nebula, with a few specific lights to help make that happen - some of which based on an idea gleaned from Magaremoto's recent example of dual ring lights, but not quite the same set-up.

Fenric's Tree Duplicate tool made working in all twenty-four of the Starship Orions flying around the station itself.

Marcoor and Allied Federation Frigate just plopped in from my browser

Howler used for motion blur, some lighting effects and motion blur

edited July 2017

Oh, and in case you've looked at Dominator Planet's promos and wondered about this image, here's the thing:

Yes, it is a silo in the ground big enough to hold an entire Dominator!!! It does have to be in it's folded up state, of course, but the whole thing fits right inside! This is the one part of the set that is a figure instead of a Prop.

The thing inside the pit shown here is actually a full Dominator ship! The cover swings open (shown here in the open state)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Still working hard on a fairly large stone work project, while both rock bands (especially the new one) have been quite busy - leaving me no time to havefun on my computers :(

Seeing at least a brief end in these toils, I got all excited and picked up a few new items from the store to celebrate my reunion with Carrara, Howler, and this awesome forum. So I intend to work a lot of these new toys into my browser and make some fun renders along the way... here's the one I did today :)

I bought Petipet's Dominator Planet, not to be used as a planet for the Dominators, but to use as bits and parts for making many other cool things... and this is one of them, Station Nebula - so named for the 'nebula' appearance created from the air-born pollution the station endures to its hi-tech atmosphere.

A single volumetric cloud makes the nebula, with a few specific lights to help make that happen - some of which based on an idea gleaned from Magaremoto's recent example of dual ring lights, but not quite the same set-up.

Fenric's Tree Duplicate tool made working in all twenty-four of the Starship Orions flying around the station itself.

Awesome work! Good to know you haven't forgotten all your old skills.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

wow DB, can't wait to seeing a clip in dolby HD laugh

This work is absolutely charming!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited July 2017

Argh! sorry everyone, I am internet incompetent. Tried to make a larger image and it turned into a double post. blush Back to hiding.

Post edited by DesertDude on

Just fiddling around with Carrara's multipass output. This image was manipulated in post using a Shadow pass, a  Material Diffuse pass, a Depth Matte and an Alpha Matte. The trees were nearly default from the plant editor replicated on a Carrara terrain. Gradient sky was added in post.

J

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

th3Digit said:

+1

I cannot actually see a picture

why I tried copying it

anyway I modeled a pigeon

Damn, girl! That is such a cool demonstration! Make sure WDJohn knows of this technique for his Model-Making thread!

I never new about that auto-construct feature! So feaking cool!

When I bought Howler through the (no longer available) CoolCreativeBundle, I got a fun little software that does just that. We'd trace the image and it would build a model from that. Anyway... that's a really fine little pidgeon prop you've made there! Thanks for the cool explanation!

One minute flat! Love that! ;)

Bravo, little sister!

its just the organic modeller like vyusur used for the rocks

Great work Wendy! Guess you would win hands down any "Speed Modelling" challenge. laugh

th3Digit said:

its just the organic modeller like vyusur used for the rocks

I've been away... I need to get caught up. I'm still only in here (today and yesterday) for a few minutes at a time :(

edited July 2017

Wendy - great little tutorial, and a very useful prop!  Be great to replicate on the roof of a house or a telegraph wire...

Post edited by PhilW on

another more detailed video no commentry

the model looks weird though

edited July 2017

I also recently got this cool new environment, which is an interior for the ship in the above render, the Marcoor FG C4. This is the Lift room as well as the "Aged" supplemental texture pack(!). I had fun using the PBR texture outputs (Substance Painter, likely?) in my shaders for this non-PBR (native PR Carrara) render. Seems to work great!

As always before, I put Albedo (or Color) in the Color channel, Spec in Highlight channel, Normal in Bump as Normal (not Texture Map), and LM (Illumination) in the glow channel. But now the default loaded shader had 25 in the Shininess channel. Important to note that, because now I put the Metallic or, in this case, Roughness map into Shininess channel, but then lower the brightness of the map to 25. Of course, this may be adjusted to taste. But I see other shaders coming in from other PBR-using products with different settings for the Shininess channel (in a Carrara load) and I always have been just using that value in the brightness slider under the appropriate map.

Also, I set Bump intensity to 100% when using Normal maps - at least to begin with. Then adjust lower if needed.

I owe all lighting effects credit to Carrara on this image. All I did in Howler was to do some very minor color grading and add my signature. I can hardly believe the deal I get as a PC+ member on this stuff. It was $4.99 for the environment and $2.99 for the Aged expansion. The rest of this set, including the ship, have all been like that. Sheesh... I just can't help but grab this stuff! Well... and I need it anyway, so.... yes

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Dragoon 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Stezza said:

Dragoon 

Love it !!!!!!

smiley thanks Bunyip02

Stezza - that is totally wonderful!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311