Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited October 2017

Indigone's V4 Skin Shader Kit and Lights (the shaders are procedural, so work on anything) use SSS to a pretty decent effect, if you'd like to read what she has to say about all of this. It's been a while for me, but I remember her notes to be a fantastic primer on shaders for people, etc.,

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I'm bearly holden on admiring everyones kewl work and great info.

yes cheeky Good one!

edited October 2017

Working on making HDR spherical backgrounds once again. This one is just another try with renders I've already made to use as bracketed images to merge into 32 bit float, but using different settings.

It turned out better than expected - trying to counter the effects of Gamma Correction = 2.2 

So I started by using ony the HDR as the only light source, but this particular run at making the HDR turned out pretty dark, which is what I wanted. The lighting actually works very well, but I added a subtle spot to help make Rosie 'pop' a bit more. Check out those eyes! I used Caustics to help improve the relationship between the refracting, reflecting cornea and the reflective, highlighted irides along with the rest of the work I've done on the eye surfaces.

RTSFAL01AP1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 789K

The background is the HDRI. There's nothing in the scene but the Rosie character

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited October 2017

first try for the hallowwen challenge: hope to turn into sort of a witch somehow smiley

normalization in post

1.jpg
    2000 x 4000 - 1015K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited November 2017

Doing some more tests with making HDR, this was just that - a test, both in creating one from scratch as well as seeing how well it works as a global light source. I have plans and ideas, this example is pretty dissimilar to any of that. This test was pushing the contrast and saturation as well as just getting used to certain processes. I didn't have much time to mess with this either. Okay, enough about that.

This HDR was made using a render that already had a full ocean in the entire foreground - something I normally wouldn't do. But that helped me decide to break out the HMS Victory, which I've given a bit of a moist set of shaders on the wood, so I did add a single distant backlight to add some specular highlights - aside from that, the HDR is the only lighting in the scene, using Global Illumination and Indirect Lighting. The only thing else in the scene is the Ocean Primitive. 

Tiny image.

HMS Victory HDRtest01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 237K

Oh, and I wanted to also add that I didn't color grade this - it's a straight result from the render engine - Carrara's native PR. That was part of the test - to push saturation in a render even using Gamma Correction = 2.2, which this one is using.

I'd also like to add that the HMS Victory is one helluva ship model! Yikes this thing is cool!

cool Daniel and great model yes, you have motivated me to watch again this:

very promising and inspirational game

edited November 2017

trying to get a cinematic result

24.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M

For "Cinematic", from what I understand, we need to employ contrast - sometimes overly so. But even more, that mech is completely hidden in plain site - so we'd need to 'bring it to the forefront' of attention. Often this can be done with light and/or color and/or bringing it closer to the camera so that some DOF could help to separate it from the background scenery. The sky would also be replaced.

But this is all coming from those dog-gone hours I've been spending lately on the subject. Take it only for what its worth and follow your own heart. I certainly have no right to judge - especially a Master Render Guru!!! :)

Love your work, my friend!

Wow. Cool visuals. Oh what on Earth are we teaching our children these days?!!!

edited November 2017

For "Cinematic", from what I understand, we need to employ contrast - sometimes overly so. But even more, that mech is completely hidden in plain site - so we'd need to 'bring it to the forefront' of attention. Often this can be done with light and/or color and/or bringing it closer to the camera so that some DOF could help to separate it from the background scenery. The sky would also be replaced.

But this is all coming from those dog-gone hours I've been spending lately on the subject. Take it only for what its worth and follow your own heart. I certainly have no right to judge - especially a Master Render Guru!!! :)

right, but more than simply contrast I'm trying to get a higher dynamic gamma of the final image, that is to say approximately a wider range between almost black and almost white pixels; this can be somehow achieved in carrara by acting on large resolutions, on maps (look at the mech with different tweaked maps) and above all with lighting, using very intense lights but dark colors; in this case I've been using dark bluish ambient light, brown distance fog and blu haze dome of huge dimensions; no gamma and low intensity area light to increase the global lighting

Doc2.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M
    2017-11-04_095420.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 305K

Wow. Cool visuals. Oh what on Earth are we teaching our children these days?!!!

children? I'm going to play with "skull and bones" all alone laugh

edited November 2017

following a comparison between 2 different approaches: simple blue sky and white ambient light set at 25%, brown distance fog and dark ambient light set at 2000

sky.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M
    fog1.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M
  • When I look at this, I naturally want to see the mech more prominent.  So, it is hard to look at your examples simply in terms of general global lighting.

Still, very interesting experiments!  Ignoring the mech, both lightings look nice, but I think the mech is more visible in the one with more shadows (sky).

edited November 2017

right remark, so in the foggy one I quickly turned one of the ring area lights into a negative light to improve shaded surfaces; negative and dark intense lights are another cool feature in carrara to work with imo smiley

fog.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M
  • I remember PhilW talking about negative lights in his basic course.  I haven't used them yet, but I agree, very cool that Carrara has this capability.

For making the mech more visible, I like the new fog version slightly better than the sky version, but there are nice things about each.

right, but more than simply contrast I'm trying to get a higher dynamic gamma of the final image, that is to say approximately a wider range between almost black and almost white pixels; this can be somehow achieved in carrara by acting on large resolutions, on maps (look at the mech with different tweaked maps) and above all with lighting, using very intense lights but dark colors; in this case I've been using dark bluish ambient light, brown distance fog and blu haze dome of huge dimensions; no gamma and low intensity area light to increase the global lighting

Very cool stuff!

negative and dark intense lights are another cool feature in carrara to work with imo smiley

yes

BTW, I love the new ones with the rim lighting!!! yes

edited November 2017

thanks,

here the final shots, both diffuse and sunny illumination; some tweakings on shadows yet but I'm satisfied with cinematic look/render speed: " 8 minutes" only

no postwork

8.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M
    9.jpg
    5000 x 3000 - 2M

Awesome!

edited November 2017

Cinematic ;)

(Danny Beck on the Drums! cheeky)

Oh wait. I redid it. This one is better:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

a busy month with some renders for other challenges over at the Hive & Rendo smiley

~waving the Carrara flag~

Awesome Stezza!!!

Cinematic ;)

thanks Danny, you rock! laugh

I'm going to make a clip test (showing the transition from diffuse to sunny lighting),  if you were me, you would use DOF or chromatic aberration or stuff like that to better mimic a video shooting?

• Cinematic ;)

thanks Danny, you rock! laugh

I'm going to make a clip test (showing the transition from diffuse to sunny lighting),  if you were me, you would use DOF or chromatic aberration or stuff like that to better mimic a video shooting?

I noticed the Mech was gone, there was that bloke there in the beanie instead suspiciously looking like Dart with a lighter devil

or a lightsaber laugh

great drum sequence indeed, maybe the sound of the crash seems too "digital" to my ears, I would have preferred heavier but I am old school

This discussion has been closed.