Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I learned to pllay drums in my yoof, and got technically quite competant. I was only let down by one thing . . . .  How can I put it? How about this: "A one, a two, a one, two, twelve, six?"

• Like everyone else, I'm super impressed by the realism of your renders, Chris!

Do you mind a few questions?  I'm one of the newest members on this forum, and trying to learn.

Are these renders old, or did you do them recently?

It sounds like you said that all of them were done on the native Carrara render engine.  Is that correct?

Did you figure out a workflow that worked similarly in every image?  For example, do they all use HDRI's? (you mentioned making an HDRI, and shaders)

Do you have any general (or specific) tips in getting such incredible results?

Finally, you asked if anyone would be interested in your shaders or HDRI's.  Are you kidding?smileysmiley

Hi UnifiedBrain

"Like everyone else, I'm super impressed by the realism of your renders, Chris!"
    Thank you' I appreciate the kind words.

"Are these renders old, or did you do them recently?"
    Some are 8.1 and some 8.5 but between 5 and 7 years I would say, possibly ; ' )

"It sounds like you said that all of them were done on the native Carrara render engine.  Is that correct?"
    That is correct, it's a fine engine and Carraras interface is something I really miss when using Studio, Carrara chews up and spits on millions of poly models' Studio won't even open them and if it does, it's like sticky treacle.

"Did you figure out a workflow that worked similarly in every image?  For example, do they all use HDRI's? (you mentioned making an HDRI, and shaders)"

Yes and no, They all use HDRI for sure and they work great in Carrara, but unlike Daz Studio Carrara needs a clamped version otherwise it blows big time. I find the main difference between a Biased and Unbiased render engine is the shader reaction, Unbiased uses physically correct shading' so enter the correct values and bobs your uncle in every lighting situation (on paper) Biased the shaders and lighting need tweaking or a complete revamp virtually every scene. Life is much simpler in Unbiased....

"Do you have any general (or specific) tips in getting such incredible results?"
    As above and experiment, buy the best PC set-up you can afford, CPU heavy in Carraras case and have fun, download other shaders, buy a few, beg a few, then set about dismantling them, reverse engineering if you will. You'll generally find 95% of them miss the important tree nodes (realism) because of the substancial time added to the render...
    Observe the real world and then find how to cheat it into your shader.

"Finally, you asked if anyone would be interested in your shaders or HDRI's.  Are you kidding?"
    I'll take that as a yes then ; ' ) Like I say rip them apart and improve, alter and create something new.

Hope this helps and I'll let people know once I've put somesort of package together.

I'm uploading some more images and a couple of Iray ones for good measure ; ' )

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I learned to pllay drums in my yoof, and got technically quite competant. I was only let down by one thing . . . .  How can I put it? How about this: "A one, a two, a one, two, twelve, six?"

when my son was in the Army he applied to join the band.  He was hoping to be a drummer, but because he could read music they gave him a glockenspiel.

• I'll try that later ; ' ) I'm pretty useless at uploading by all accounts.

Worry not! Just get 'em up here - we can do the rest! ;)

I love my Strat, even though I'm actually a drummer. My brother plays a mean Bass! I use my Strat for writing the base rhythms of songs - and to have fun or relax.

My new e-kit lets me rock out in stealth mode! All my life drums have been illegal to play - until now! They truly thunder on stage, too! Glad they finally got them (e-drums) to a point where I can actually enjoy gigging with them!

Nice kit, Looks like you're having fun and I feel great you have compared my renders to the real deal and still think they look good ; ' )

• Q - So Chris, are you doing the modeling on these too?

"Q - So Chris, are you doing the modeling on these too?"

I modelled the Amp in Carrara to go with the Strat and added the beatles detailing' which I didn't post, it was such an impressive and extreme quality model I couldn't find an amp free or otherwise to compliment it.

White Doc Pick Plate.png
    1160 x 2280 - 2M
    Gibson Room.png
    1160 x 2089 - 2M
  • Q - So Chris, are you doing the modeling on these too?

Just realized I modelled the Amp for the Gibson and the Strat ; ' )

• So this one is a frame of an animation? Did I read that right? Very cool! yes

I am currently rendering the animations related to this part of my story. I did do some animation to get this image, but it was all just for my storyboard. I'm eager to see how the actual animation turns out. I normally get really decent render times for my animations (I use Carrara native engine too) but for this one the particles tend to slow it down pretty good. But that's okay because I won't be able to sit at that computer for a while anyway! LOL

"So this one is a frame of an animation? Did I read that right? Very cool! "

Yes it's a frame from the animation but your renders look excellent..

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Cool write-up in answer to UB's questions, chris! Very cool stuff!

Yeah, I 'cheat' all the time to try and get my render times down. Kind of a bummer sometimes because Carrara is so good at not faking it too. But I was AMAZED coming from Poser and Daz Studio to Carrara - AMAZED!!! Carrara's render engine is capable of ray-tracing with a depth of 8 at insane speeds compared to anything else I've seen. With some nice shader trickery, we can really whittle those times down in a big way.

When I first started, a lot of folks I was getting shader help from were using reflections on every darned little thing, when a good set-up between Highlight and Shininess channels could deliver what they were actually after, but bummed that reflection wasn't giving it the way they wanted it to ;)

I get Poser products into Carrara, and when they use Alpha for their glass, I completely redo the shader using transparency instead - or along with - depending on what it is.

Fun stuff!

edited October 2017

Chohole said:

when my son was in the Army he applied to join the band.  He was hoping to be a drummer, but because he could read music they gave him a glockenspiel.

When I went to join band, the teacher said that he didn't have time to teach me. But if I wanted to, he'd still let me join band and I could try to figure stuff out on my own.

I did manage to teach myself how to read music - had to... it was Band! But I never did learn the proper rudiments for drumming. I still don't know them. I've always just faked it - mimicking what I hear. 

So when I moved to Chicago when I was younger, I was blown away by all of the great drummers - but they were also blown away by how I could play things so differently. 'Twas fun! I even got kinda famous in certain pro circles. Pearl drums let me put a new kit in their catalog for beginning drummers, which was the Tommy Lee Export starter kit. Ziljian cymbals and other companies made special deals with me, and I got to know Fred Gretsch (over the phone) on a first-name basis. Got free backstage passes to many big rock shows... given a platinum business card to take one or more of the band members out on the town after their show... I had a lot of fun!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • great use of octane within carrara indeed and great models too!

only the tires shaders could be adjusted a little bit imo but all the rest is perfect! bravo

Hi Magaremoto, Thank you for your comment and kind words, you are correct some of the shaders are unfinished though this is Carrara's internal render engine it still takes some time with complex shaders.

really? bravo 2 times then yes

I'd like to have your talent in making such shaders! have you got a gallery @ daz or elsewhere?

I do have a Daz gallery but it only consists of one image and that is rendered in Iray, I have animations stored on my HD I've never shown, I managed to get the render time down to 15 seconds per frame on this attached image from an animation going north (still in progress or slightly stalled ; ' ).

I have made many shaders over a period of time, if I get the time I'll package them together and post somewhere, maybe sharecg or deviant? somewhere convient?

please, share your renders worldwide, very few know what carrara can do on photorealistic side

"please, share your renders worldwide, very few know what carrara can do on photorealistic side"
    I have, both Vue and Carrara renders, I submitted artwork for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Spiderman' also my artwork was featured in the Saatchi Gallery London to attract new artists to upload to their new online gallery.

• ...and on a Hellbound Train!

This is wonderful..

great use of octane within carrara indeed and great models too!

only the tires shaders could be adjusted a little bit imo but all the rest is perfect! bravo

Hi Magaremoto, Thank you for your comment and kind words, you are correct some of the shaders are unfinished though this is Carrara's internal render engine it still takes some time with complex shaders.

really? bravo 2 times then yes

I'd like to have your talent in making such shaders! have you got a gallery @ daz or elsewhere?

I do have a Daz gallery but it only consists of one image and that is rendered in Iray, I have animations stored on my HD I've never shown, I managed to get the render time down to 15 seconds per frame on this attached image from an animation going north (still in progress or slightly stalled ; ' ).

I have made many shaders over a period of time, if I get the time I'll package them together and post somewhere, maybe sharecg or deviant? somewhere convient?

please, share your renders worldwide, very few know what carrara can do on photorealistic side

"please, share your renders worldwide, very few know what carrara can do on photorealistic side"
    I have, both Vue and Carrara renders, I submitted artwork for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Spiderman' also my artwork was featured in the Saatchi Gallery London to attract new artists to upload to their new online gallery.

Now why does that NOT surprise me? yes

Thanks Chris!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

I keep on surprising instead surprise a 360° carraraist and much more, cool

• Some more..including a a few from DS and Iray, Just getting into Iray but the skills are generally transferable, none of them are the finished article, just for fun.

Marilyn.png
    1466 x 1906 - 2M
    Arnie.png
    1334 x 2160 - 4M
    Strat Kitchen Leather.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    Hot Rod.png
    1920 x 1174 - 3M
    Olympia and Bree Location 6_1 Infinite.png
    1545 x 2500 - 5M
    Boris.png
    1466 x 2373 - 5M
    White Tiger inf adj.png
    1280 x 960 - 843K
    Ibanez Black.png
    1280 x 960 - 494K
    Doc other.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited October 2017

Whoa! Steve Vai Ibanez!!! I Like!!!

Wow - Nice!

Renders by Chris Poole

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2017

Beautiful Jag, too!

...and this mean Alley Cat!

Boris says: "My Car!"

Renders by Chris Poole

Amazing renders, Chris!!! Bravo!

edited October 2017

by Chris Poole

edited October 2017

by Chris Poole

• chris poolechris poole Posts: 124
    edited October 2017

by Chris Poole

Thank you Dartanbeck, I feel humbled...

It's not my fault. You have a real talent at rendering. I really hope you know this! yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I think we have a new idol heart

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

It's not my fault. You have a real talent at rendering. I really hope you know this! yes

Chris ,I second that - your renders are excellent 

edited October 2017
    Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:

Tried to get a late 1950's early 1960's feel to this render.. The old shop in town..

That's amazing Stezza!  Really spectacular work.

I agree - is that an FJ Holden in the carport ? I learnt to drive in one of those - crashed it soon after too !   Well done- really love this image.

Post edited by 0oseven on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

thanks, ....... yep, that's an FJ yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017

Like everyone else, I'm super impressed by the realism of your renders, Chris!

Do you mind a few questions?  I'm one of the newest members on this forum, and trying to learn.

Are these renders old, or did you do them recently?

It sounds like you said that all of them were done on the native Carrara render engine.  Is that correct?

Did you figure out a workflow that worked similarly in every image?  For example, do they all use HDRI's? (you mentioned making an HDRI, and shaders)

Do you have any general (or specific) tips in getting such incredible results?

Finally, you asked if anyone would be interested in your shaders or HDRI's.  Are you kidding?smileysmiley

Hi UnifiedBrain

"Like everyone else, I'm super impressed by the realism of your renders, Chris!"
    Thank you' I appreciate the kind words.

"Are these renders old, or did you do them recently?"
    Some are 8.1 and some 8.5 but between 5 and 7 years I would say, possibly ; ' )

"It sounds like you said that all of them were done on the native Carrara render engine.  Is that correct?"
    That is correct, it's a fine engine and Carraras interface is something I really miss when using Studio, Carrara chews up and spits on millions of poly models' Studio won't even open them and if it does, it's like sticky treacle.

"Did you figure out a workflow that worked similarly in every image?  For example, do they all use HDRI's? (you mentioned making an HDRI, and shaders)"

Yes and no, They all use HDRI for sure and they work great in Carrara, but unlike Daz Studio Carrara needs a clamped version otherwise it blows big time. I find the main difference between a Biased and Unbiased render engine is the shader reaction, Unbiased uses physically correct shading' so enter the correct values and bobs your uncle in every lighting situation (on paper) Biased the shaders and lighting need tweaking or a complete revamp virtually every scene. Life is much simpler in Unbiased....

"Do you have any general (or specific) tips in getting such incredible results?"
    As above and experiment, buy the best PC set-up you can afford, CPU heavy in Carraras case and have fun, download other shaders, buy a few, beg a few, then set about dismantling them, reverse engineering if you will. You'll generally find 95% of them miss the important tree nodes (realism) because of the substancial time added to the render...
    Observe the real world and then find how to cheat it into your shader.

"Finally, you asked if anyone would be interested in your shaders or HDRI's.  Are you kidding?"
    I'll take that as a yes then ; ' ) Like I say rip them apart and improve, alter and create something new.

Hope this helps and I'll let people know once I've put somesort of package together.

I'm uploading some more images and a couple of Iray ones for good measure ; ' )

Thanks for the thoughtful answers, Chris.  Definitely interested in what you put together.  I haven't attemped any ultra-realism yet, and see very little of it on this forum these days.  Maybe it's too much hassle for most people?  Or, is it becoming a lost art in Carrara?

I saw a couple of your human figures.  Were these done in Carrara as well?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

don't fade away, Chris, please don't fade away smiley

edited October 2017

A couple more I found in the render cupboard. Colour version all Carrara - B&W version postwork which I thought suited the ww1 ship.

Minnesota Orca Ocean BW1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 526K
    Minnesota Orca Ocean 1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 512K
    Post edited by 0oseven on

A couple more.The explosion is, I think, a distorted cloud - cant remember exactly how I did it.

Spitfires Over Green Fields 5.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 494K
    Spitfire Bomb Run 1.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 364K
This discussion has been closed.