Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

And finally -  The weird looking object with rays is a "light rig" I made which is used to illuminate with various effect as per a couple of examples.

I am facscinated with Carrara's lights.

Doc5.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    VideoMap 4 300dp1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 374K
    Doc17.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 395K
  • It's not my fault. You have a real talent at rendering. I really hope you know this! yes

Thank you, I'm getting there ; ' )

• th3Digit said:

I think we have a new idol heart

I may be lazy' but I'm not idol. Thank you....

• 0oseven said:

It's not my fault. You have a real talent at rendering. I really hope you know this! yes

Chris ,I second that - your renders are excellent 

I appreciate your obvious superior wisdom ; ' ) Thank you.

• Like everyone else, I'm super impressed by the realism of your renders, Chris!

Do you mind a few questions?  I'm one of the newest members on this forum, and trying to learn.

Are these renders old, or did you do them recently?

It sounds like you said that all of them were done on the native Carrara render engine.  Is that correct?

Did you figure out a workflow that worked similarly in every image?  For example, do they all use HDRI's? (you mentioned making an HDRI, and shaders)

Do you have any general (or specific) tips in getting such incredible results?

Finally, you asked if anyone would be interested in your shaders or HDRI's.  Are you kidding?smileysmiley

Hi UnifiedBrain

"Like everyone else, I'm super impressed by the realism of your renders, Chris!"
    Thank you' I appreciate the kind words.

"Are these renders old, or did you do them recently?"
    Some are 8.1 and some 8.5 but between 5 and 7 years I would say, possibly ; ' )

"It sounds like you said that all of them were done on the native Carrara render engine.  Is that correct?"
    That is correct, it's a fine engine and Carraras interface is something I really miss when using Studio, Carrara chews up and spits on millions of poly models' Studio won't even open them and if it does, it's like sticky treacle.

"Did you figure out a workflow that worked similarly in every image?  For example, do they all use HDRI's? (you mentioned making an HDRI, and shaders)"

Yes and no, They all use HDRI for sure and they work great in Carrara, but unlike Daz Studio Carrara needs a clamped version otherwise it blows big time. I find the main difference between a Biased and Unbiased render engine is the shader reaction, Unbiased uses physically correct shading' so enter the correct values and bobs your uncle in every lighting situation (on paper) Biased the shaders and lighting need tweaking or a complete revamp virtually every scene. Life is much simpler in Unbiased....

"Do you have any general (or specific) tips in getting such incredible results?"
    As above and experiment, buy the best PC set-up you can afford, CPU heavy in Carraras case and have fun, download other shaders, buy a few, beg a few, then set about dismantling them, reverse engineering if you will. You'll generally find 95% of them miss the important tree nodes (realism) because of the substancial time added to the render...
    Observe the real world and then find how to cheat it into your shader.

"Finally, you asked if anyone would be interested in your shaders or HDRI's.  Are you kidding?"
    I'll take that as a yes then ; ' ) Like I say rip them apart and improve, alter and create something new.

Hope this helps and I'll let people know once I've put somesort of package together.

I'm uploading some more images and a couple of Iray ones for good measure ; ' )

Thanks for the thoughtful answers, Chris.  Definitely interested in what you put together.  I haven't attemped any ultra-realism yet, and see very little of it on this forum these days.  Maybe it's too much hassle for most people?  Or, is it becoming a lost art in Carrara?

I saw a couple of your human figures.  Were these done in Carrara as well?

"Thanks for the thoughtful answers, Chris."
    My pleasure.

"Definitely interested in what you put together."
    Sure thing.

"I haven't attemped any ultra-realism yet, and see very little of it on this forum these days."
    I don't blame them, use Carrara for what it was designed for and grab Studio and use that for ultra-realism now it includes Iray and 3Delight is no lightweight either, well maybe DS implimentation of it is a bit lacking, even still it's free!

"Maybe it's too much hassle for most people?  Or, is it becoming a lost art in Carrara?"
    It's a lot of hassle full stop, I used Carrara for several reasons mainly its ability to work with millions of poly models, but it lacks some features that are essential to realism, shader scaling is a biggy and other missing or poorly implimented tools, it's one of the main reason I included Iray and others in my arsenal.

"I saw a couple of your human figures.  Were these done in Carrara as well?"
    No they were done in Iray, maybe Carrara could compete with Iray but it would take some serious' serious time and effort and I believe the end results would be inferior no matter how good the artist is, that goes for Poser and several others I could mention.

Use the tools available for the job you wish to do and accept any limitations with grace, time and money will always be the limiting factor in life generally let alone Carrara, DS, Vue etc. etc...

That's my thoughts, reality may differ ; ' )

Chris

• don't fade away, Chris, please don't fade away smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited October 2017

Cool renders, Double-O Seven! 

I was screwing around last night with making an hdr image from bracketed renders. Being just a test, I kept the resolution down. So this is the lighting result of the HDR I made being the only light source in the scene, except for the volumetric clouds, which have a very low intensity distant on them.

Merchant Ships BL1a.jpg
    880 x 495 - 354K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Cool renders, Double-O Seven! 

I was screwing around last night with making an hdr image from bracketed renders. Being just a test, I kept the resolution down. So this is the lighting result of the HDR I made being the only light source in the scene, except for the volumetric clouds, which have a very low intensity distant on them.

0oseven said:

A couple more.The explosion is, I think, a distorted cloud - cant remember exactly how I did it.

How! oh how do I cancel out of a comment on this forum? help me Obi-Wan Kenobi

• 0oseven said:

A couple more.The explosion is, I think, a distorted cloud - cant remember exactly how I did it.

Nicely done, all these lovely plane renders posted reminds me to do one myself.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

0oseven said:

How! oh how do I cancel out of a comment on this forum? help me Obi-Wan Kenobi

yours you edit, someone else’s you flag cheeky 

• Cool renders, Double-O Seven! 

I like the tones and the painterly look.

"I was screwing around last night with making an hdr image from bracketed renders."

I feel sure you meant to say. Trying to create a lighting scenario that would capture the hearts and minds of my fellow lovers of all things waterborne. : ' )
    I maybe wrong of course....

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Picking up on Chris Poole's comments, I never found Carrara's SSS to be convincing. When I started using Octane it was a revelation as the SSS you can achieve is so much better, and it also works well in iRay. So yes, a "horses for courses" approach makes a lot of sense. Overall, I am still very happy to have Carrara in my armoury.

• PhilW said:

Picking up on Chris Poole's comments, I never found Carrara's SSS to be convincing. When I started using Octane it was a revelation as the SSS you can achieve is so much better, and it also works well in iRay. So yes, a "horses for courses" approach makes a lot of sense. Overall, I am still very happy to have Carrara in my armoury.

"Overall, I am still very happy to have Carrara in my armoury"
    I love Carrara and wouldn't consider not installing it on a fresh drive.  Iray is LCD and LED compared to Carraras Plasma screen. Both appeal but for different reasons.

PhilW said:

"Overall, I am still very happy to have Carrara in my armoury"
    I love Carrara and wouldn't consider not installing it on a fresh drive.  Iray is LCD and LED compared to Carraras Plasma screen. Both appeal but for different reasons.

Wow. Great words there! And I agreed entirely

I like the tones and the painterly look.

"I was screwing around last night with making an hdr image from bracketed renders."

I feel sure you meant to say. Trying to create a lighting scenario that would capture the hearts and minds of my fellow lovers of all things waterborne. : ' )
    I maybe wrong of course....

Y...yeah... that's what I meant to say... for sure. ;)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    PhilW said:

about sss in iray I agree only partially, it tends to give a jelly effect particularly visible on nose and chin, and the final result very often looks like sort of silicon mask; it should let take control over light absorption imo

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017
    UB - "I haven't attemped any ultra-realism yet, and see very little of it on this forum these days."

I don't blame them, use Carrara for what it was designed for and grab Studio and use that for ultra-realism now it includes Iray and 3Delight is no lightweight either, well maybe DS implimentation of it is a bit lacking, even still it's free!

Did you ever use Octane in Carrara?  Doesn't that basically change Carrara into an unbiased renderer?

UB - "I saw a couple of your human figures.  Were these done in Carrara as well?"

No they were done in Iray, maybe Carrara could compete with Iray but it would take some serious' serious time and effort and I believe the end results would be inferior no matter how good the artist is, that goes for Poser and several others I could mention.

Again, are you judging Carrara as inferior, even with Octane? (not arguing, just asking an honest question from ignorance)

Use the tools available for the job you wish to do and accept any limitations with grace, time and money will always be the limiting factor in life generally let alone Carrara, DS, Vue etc. etc...

Chris

Good thoughts!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • UB - "I haven't attemped any ultra-realism yet, and see very little of it on this forum these days."

Did you ever use Octane in Carrara?  Doesn't that basically change Carrara into an unbiased renderer?

UB - "I saw a couple of your human figures.  Were these done in Carrara as well?"

Again, are you judging Carrara as inferior, even with Octane? (not arguing, just asking an honest question from ignorance)

Chris

Good thoughts!

"Did you ever use Octane in Carrara?  Doesn't that basically change Carrara into an unbiased renderer?"

Octane doesn't come with Carrara ; ' ) I have version 1 of Octane standalone and Octane is possibly the ultimate Unbiased renderer that I'm aware of and makes Iray look a bit slouchy at times and that's version 1.

I don't have the plugin for Carrara but can imagine it would suit Carrara very well. But I could also buy Max, Maya and a plethera of other programs as plugins for Carrara to achieve the ultimate goal?

The main problems are, I'm only one person with limited brain capacity, money and time to play with all these lovely toys..

"Again, are you judging Carrara as inferior, even with Octane? (not arguing, just asking an honest question from ignorance)"

I don't have the Octane plugin for Carrara, you need to ask those that do.. I'm sure it makes a wonderful combo..

UB - "I haven't attemped any ultra-realism yet, and see very little of it on this forum these days."

Chris

Good thoughts!

The main problems are, I'm only one person with limited brain capacity, money and time to play with all these lovely toys..

What a wonderful quote! 

You mentioned "painterly" before... I'm incredibly happy with that - with Carrara's native ray tracer. Luckily for me, I'm really the only person I have to please! ;)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

...and on a Hellbound Train!

Lovely render Dart

• chris poolechris poole Posts: 124
    edited October 2017

Chris

Good thoughts!

What a wonderful quote! 

You mentioned "painterly" before... I'm incredibly happy with that - with Carrara's native ray tracer. Luckily for me, I'm really the only person I have to please! ;)

"You mentioned "painterly" before... I'm incredibly happy with that - with Carrara's native ray tracer."
    So you should be : ' )

"Luckily for me, I'm really the only person I have to please! ;)"
    That used to be true, but now you have to please me as well, shape up or ship out sailor, LoL.

Post edited by chris poole on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited October 2017

Dartenbeck

Your On a Hellbound Train!  love this image. HDRI is something I've not used  for lighting - must try . I had thouht of it m0re as a lighting for objects  [ say cars ] but does nice environment.

AND another render using the light rig mentioned on previos page - various effects depending where light is positioned.In this it points directly at camera but set behind object which is deflecting the beams. These are more about 'effects ' than great renders.It's Fun !!

V5Gen 1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 632K
    V4 1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 562K
    Doc8.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 409K
    Post edited by 0oseven on
  • Octane doesn't come with Carrara ; ' ) I have version 1 of Octane standalone and Octane is possibly the ultimate Unbiased renderer that I'm aware of and makes Iray look a bit slouchy at times and that's version 1.

Exactly the same for me. I started with Octane when it was only beta (and cheapwink)  and had been upgraded to version 1.55.

The standalone is always a pleasure to work with. The only thing missing on the Carrara side is an Alembic exporter. Maybe I'll tackle that one day.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    Philemo said:

The standalone is always a pleasure to work with. The only thing missing on the Carrara side is an Alembic exporter. Maybe I'll tackle that one day.

I dream for an Alembic I/O for a long time! wink

DUDU said:
    Philemo said:

I dream for an Alembic I/O for a long time! wink

might help convince me to buy Hitfilm Pro yes

edited October 2017

otherwise the Carrara scene export from the plugin is pretty good and I have loaded DAZ studio HD morphed Alembic exports in them in Octane standalone too but its fiddly as have to reapply all the texture maps.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • th3Digit said:

otherwise the Carrara scene export from the plugin is pretty good and I have loaded DAZ studio HD morphed Alembic exports in them in Octane standalone too but its fiddly as have to reapply all the texture maps.

After buying this new computer with the powerful graphic card, I'm afraid I cannot afford the $500 for the plugin. So, I'm stuck with the standalone version (and reapply the texture). I don't mind that last part as building shaders with Octane is fun.

I need the alembic exporter for animation, lights and camera, and because the obj exporter has some glitches.

Philemo said:
    th3Digit said:

After buying this new computer with the powerful graphic card, I'm afraid I cannot afford the $500 for the plugin. So, I'm stuck with the standalone version (and reapply the texture). I don't mind that last part as building shaders with Octane is fun.

I need the alembic exporter for animation, lights and camera, and because the obj exporter has some glitches.

was beta when I got it but then with the upgrade a couple years later to 3 prob almost as much, I still have not updated the DAZ studio plugin but even OR2 is better that iray IMO! though its flakey with D|S instances.

The Carrara one treats replicators as scatter nodes and for that reason alone is pretty awesome, if you get a bit more coin on your plugin donations cheeky  not from me this month I just bought a 3D print!!!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Intrigued to see what your print comes out like. Unfortunately $300 (inc UK tax) is way beyond my funds!

0oseven said:

Dartenbeck

Your On a Hellbound Train!  love this image. HDRI is something I've not used  for lighting - must try . I had thouht of it m0re as a lighting for objects  [ say cars ] but does nice environment.

AND another render using the light rig mentioned on previos page - various effects depending where light is positioned.In this it points directly at camera but set behind object which is deflecting the beams. These are more about 'effects ' than great renders.It's Fun !!

Thanks! Yeah... I love taking time to just have fun with effects - and experimenting with them - above making a pretty picture! It's a great way to learn how stuff works! I also love saving light rig presets!

Chris

Good thoughts!

What a wonderful quote! 

"Luckily for me, I'm really the only person I have to please! ;)"
    That used to be true, but now you have to please me as well, shape up or ship out sailor, LoL.

Aye aye, Cap'n!!! ;)

0oseven said:

Dartenbeck

Your On a Hellbound Train!  love this image. HDRI is something I've not used  for lighting - must try .

BTW, the Hellbound Train doesn't use HDR. That was the render of the merchant ships on the water.

That's not really the target of the experiment - but lighting the scene with HDR is the target - so I was happy with the quick results, but realize that I need (as opposed to just "want") better software for that than what I have now. I'm missing some of the options I need for my final goal - which should be pretty cool, I hope.

This test (merchant Ships image above) was simply several renders to simulate various exposures of one main light source (the sun) along with the subtle additions of indirect light built in from the surrounding environment. The rendered environment had no water, but the sun cast light across the ground toward, and fairly close to the camera, which ended up casting some cool effect light from the ground in the final HDRI when used in the Background using GI - I didn't even use Indirect. 

The thing is, after seeing Chris Poole's HDR renders, it jogged my memory of this experiment I was working on for Iray back when I though I wanted to try and learn DS. 

Carrara can actually use any background setting as a lighting solution when GI (Sky Light in the render room) is turned on, but HDRI are 32 bit, allowing them to 'go beyond the 8 bit limits' which results in them actually having the ability to cast directional illumination - much like having a very specially made light in the scene. Well... I guess it truly IS a very specially made light! LOL

This discussion has been closed.