Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited March 2018

Another attempt at landscape using render passes in post.

final1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 92K
    alpha.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    material_diffuse.jpg
    640 x 480 - 52K
    noise.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
    shadow.jpg
    640 x 480 - 84K
    bounce_light.jpg
    640 x 480 - 33K
    depth.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited March 2018

​Carrara native render using Realistic Sky vs post effects.

Carrara does a nice job...I think the Haze Color Control is the key to getting more natural colored shadows. 

Native:

Post Effects:

beauty.jpg
    640 x 480 - 76K
    Final_Comp1.png
    640 x 480 - 347K
    settings.jpg
    585 x 638 - 65K
    edited March 2018

Both the "noise",  "shadow" and "bounce light" passes were custom made.
    For the "noise" pass I inserted a replicator, selected 'Ball' from the chooser, dialed in x=5 y=5 z=1 for number of replications. I replicated a distant light set at 5% with a 'Point At' Modifier pointing at a Target Helper in the middle of the scene. Ambient light set to zero. I then duplicated the shader (complex green2) and switched all colors to white while leaving all other settings untouched. Background set to white. Render.

Shadow pass was the same, but used a Key Light only while using the same "white terrain" shader.

Bounce light similar to Shadow pass, but turned the Background to black, turned off the Key Light and used only the Boucne Light.

Depth was also custom using the fog trick.

These were then used as mattes, along with the other passes, in After Effects (one could use any compositor) to attempt to create a sense of atmosphere.

edited March 2018

Sorry, one more, this is a Carrara native render, Realistic Sky with one bounce light.

And then, edited comment here to add one last render... this one used an inverted depth map to warm up the foreground...post stuff. 

sky_plus_bounce.jpg
    640 x 480 - 39K
    final2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 103K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

that would make a cool under ocean terrain too smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Both the "noise",  "shadow" and "bounce light" passes were custom made.
    For the "noise" pass I inserted a replicator, selected 'Ball' from the chooser, dialed in x=5 y=5 z=1 for number of replications. I replicated a distant light set at 5% with a 'Point At' Modifier pointing at a Target Helper in the middle of the scene. Ambient light set to zero. I then duplicated the shader (complex green2) and switched all colors to white while leaving all other settings untouched. Background set to white. Render.

Shadow pass was the same, but used a Key Light only while using the same "white terrain" shader.

Bounce light similar to Shadow pass, but turned the Background to black, turned off the Key Light and used only the Boucne Light.

Depth was also custom using the fog trick.

These were then used as mattes, along with the other passes, in After Effects (one could use any compositor) to attempt to create a sense of atmosphere.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I wll have to experiment with these ideas.  

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2018

w.i.p. first attempt for Vyusur's Tanya into carrara, a very realistic somatotype indeed

no postwork

1.jpg
    2400 x 2946 - 4M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Looks promising, Magaremoto!  Vyusur seems to be killing it lately.  How she finds time to enter the Challenge is a mystery. :)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2018

Magaremoto, thank you ever so much! I'm glad you like her. Your Carrara's geometry resolution seems to be left zero.

Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited March 2018

thanks UB, our talented Vyusur surprises me evry time yes

@ Vyusur: really great job on Tanya, I'd like to have her ready for maya or blender as well angelwink

antoher shot at low lighting quality, provia filter in post

2.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 3M

Magaremoto, she looks so beautiful on your renders. Wish I could achieve your lighting quality in Carrara. Anyway, I keep trying. Thank you for the inspiration and your kind words.

well, about my Tanya I'm not satisfied with eyes yet; I made the skin more aged and "lived" to enhance more details thanks to your superb maps.

Did you made a render with the octane plugin? It should be coming out great like iray

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Do You Have the Time?

edited March 2018

final shot loaded onto my gallery

3.jpg
    1800 x 2250 - 2M

@magaremoto -these Tanya renders are amazing.  And great job, @Vyusur, on creating this character, but wow, I can't produce anything like these with any character.

thanks Diomede for the kind words, if only @ daz would appreciate all the carrarists'works, both photorealistic or NPR, we could rival with many 3d users out of there, especially in the field of animation, the most significant and tough; basically daz doesn't have a robust animation tool and their store can only grow up if you provide a fully working "little" 3dmax or c4d. I may be wrong but this was the same reason that led to develop D/S, a fully working "little" poser to support and strenghten their market

Looks great Magaremoto!  For my tastes, the bump still looks a bit high.  But to get a G8 figure looking like you did in Carrara is a minor miracle, at least to me.

Got to add that Vyusur's work here is obviously top-notch.

Also, your comments on the value of Carrara for animation are timely.  My original goal in Carrara (1.5 years ago) was to learn animation.  Started the tutorials yesterday. yes  The water is deep, but managing to keep my head above it for the time being.

edited March 2018

Gorgeous render, Magaremoto! Yes, I use Octane plugin, also I use native render engine. With native render, I use glass shader in cornea and moisture channels for correct glossiness and reflections. Here I made a couple of native renders and a couple of octane renders. The first two are native.

Doc7.jpg
    1300 x 1127 - 1M
    Doc13.jpg
    1300 x 1406 - 1M
    Tanya_octane01.jpg
    1300 x 1127 - 710K
    Tanya_octane04.jpg
    1300 x 1358 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Ted, UB, thank you for the kind words!

edited March 2018

@ UB: actually I disabled the bump filter in the render room smiley  just because if you have  good baked maps and right lighting at high resolution you can get rid of bumping decreasing drastically render times

@ Vyusur: how wonderful is your character in any engine, please keep on creating, cant'wait to seeing the next one

2018-03-15_213010.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 232K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Vyusur :)  try experimenting with "water" index of refraction, rather than Glass for the eyes/moisture.

also,. add a small amount of bump to the eye surface for close up portraits.

one of the main problems, especially with new users, coming from studio ,. is the expected loading of all the correct maps/values when you load a figure.

most of the time Carrara fails to correctly load all of the images, (bump spec.. etc,) or fails to convert the DS/poser material values to something which works better in Carrara. so it's good practice to check all the maps and values in the shaders after loading.

here's a couple of test renders of darius 6 (done a while ago) in octane and carrarra ,. IMO the Carrara is better. .. the octane shader probably needs more work :)

Oh,.. I also made some ice cream .. with sprinkles

OCT_Ices_3k.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 378K
    Darius6_OR1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 72K
    Darius6_C1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 166K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

with some post work in photoshop

D6G2_gh_post.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 208K

Tremendous series of posts.  Learning a lot from y'all's stuff.  yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited March 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

Looks fabulous Headwax - hope you get some commisions/sales out of it as well !!!!

thank you Bunyip02 :)

Stezza said:

awesome... and the bar is dry!

wait till 6.00pm though :)

Diomede said:

That is great.  Is there a pdf version of the program or weekender you can share?

hey thanks Diomede - I'll shoot you a pdf :)

here's an advertising interview we shot t'other day, with me talking about my  work - and the difference between digital and traditional

there's quite a few Carrara renders scattered through it.

https://vimeo.com/260536422

that Australian sun does wonders for the skin :)

Untitled-1.jpg
    1819 x 1198 - 658K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Thanks for sharing that Andrew.

cdordoni said:

Thanks for sharing that Andrew.

+ 100 - very thoughtful, entertaining, and I learned a bunch.

"Newcastle is one of those places where it took you longer to starve."  HAH!

I know that you are undergoing some challenges currently, but I fully expect that you will work through them and emerge in a better position than before.  Your exceptional talent will prevail.

That was a great video Andrew, thanks for sharing. Your work is fantastic! Your paintings look so...yummy!  smiley

edited March 2018

amazing how with carrara you can get the great realism of the ice cream by 3dage and the surrealistic illustrations of head wax; never thought before to use carrara as a tool for artistic painting; head wax, your digital art reminds me something I've seen before, maybe in a music video? I can't remember but the anxiety that evoques is typically surrealistic imho

here another test on translucency and fresnel in sss channel; no postwork

1.jpg
    4800 x 2340 - 1M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

cdordoni   UnifiedBrain   DesertDude ​  magaremoto ​ thanks so much :) glad it was entertaining and thank you for the kind words about my art

I did my artist talk on Saturday and didnt screw up at the gallery :)

magaremoto ​ I started exhibiting the occasional digital work a few years ago and people started buying them - to my suprize - it's easy to guess the market for my paintings

but not so easy to guess the market for digital work - in one way it is wider, but also narrower....

the \skin on the models in that last render is amazingly real - congrats !

thanks head wax, skin needs some adjustments here and there but it's hard for me to get such good results in any other application out of there (even in D/S I can't get rid of a gelatinous effect on nose and chin, unrealistic for the majority of lighting conditions)

about your digital painting, just curious: what is the main size and resolution you've been using most?

This discussion has been closed.