Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

Great video Headwax !!!

DesertDude - nice landscapes & thanks for explaining as you went along.

Magaremoto - very nice skin renders, will have to try doing a few realistic renders on top of my NPR renders.

Vyusur - lovely renders, I have wish-listed your Tanya character !!!!!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Hi, 3Dage. Your icecream is incredibly realistic! Yum.

What about ior, I always use common glass with ior 1. It works fine for me. The main problem for me is to achieve SSS effect with octane shaders. In theory, I know that octane skin material needs to be mixed with glossy and specular shaders. But in practice, I can't achieve a decent result with such a mix.

Magaremoto, your scene's lighting is very soft and nice. How did you achieve such soft shadows?

Bunyip, thank you for wish-listing my Tanya.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

Vyusur, I assume you know how to tweak soft shadows of lights via the effect tab (that inherits shadows falloff mostly), so I would add more options, each one acts on raytraced shadows:synergy between sky light, AO/IL and ambient light, gamma correction, lighting quality, use of soft environment light, use of fog and haze, low emitting objects...

the challenge deals with avoiding dull or flat lit surfaces without having hard shadows; in carrara you can tweak that thanks to biased alghoritms, in path tracing sometimes may be a mess to tune it up

edited March 2018

Magaremoto, I use “soft shadows” check box with every single light where available. But, as you said, sometimes all comes to mess and it's hard to repair anything. In the following example, I used something like what I saw on your screenshots. Some surfaces became washed out with light, some areas left too dark, and I couldn't do anything with that.

Doc8.png
    1300 x 867 - 1M
    2018-03-20_0932_001.png
    922 x 643 - 690K
    Post edited by Vyusur on

well it seems that you haven't been using an hdr map or a similar environment lighting source, you may try to put a distance or cloudy fog or even increase the sky light value; since we don't have a specific reference guide for carrara GI, what I would do is render the scene in octane and then make a lighting rig accordingly. By the way, did you see this: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=66013

back to the point, feel free to email me for any issue related to lighting and texturing within carrara

edited March 2018

Wow! I didn't know anything about the octane update! Thank you so much for the link. And thank you very much for the tips. I didn't use the sky light in the render above and didn't use GI as well.

Here are a couple of octane renders. At last, I could achieve translucency effect on ears in octane like iray does.

All_round01.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 2M
    Darsel03.jpg
    1067 x 1941 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks head wax, skin needs some adjustments here and there but it's hard for me to get such good results in any other application out of there (even in D/S I can't get rid of a gelatinous effect on nose and chin, unrealistic for the majority of lighting conditions)

about your digital painting, just curious: what is the main size and resolution you've been using most?

pleasure, the larger works are 76.55 by 54.2cm at 300 dpi , Ihave done works 180cm by 90 at 300 dpi  (from memory) 90 cm is the biggest my commercial printer can do (any length though) I'm preently rendering out a large image for another show (cant recall size) but carrara keeps through an error - so I have masked it into top and bottom with a plane and it fixes the error

Bunyip02 said:

Great video Headwax !!!

Vyusur said:

Wow! I didn't know anything about the octane update! Thank you so much for the link. And thank you very much for the tips. I didn't use the sky light in the render above and didn't use GI as well.

Here are a couple of octane renders. At last, I could achieve translucency effect on ears in octane like iray does.

terrific image Vuysur - getting to that uncanny valley and surpassing it

Thank you Andrew, I really appreciate it.

Vyusur said:

Thank you Andrew, I really appreciate it.

oh you are one of the best, never forget that 

there's artists and then there's Artists 

!

blush

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

The Napping Beauty smiley

ivan 7 napping in the medieval prison room

sleeper.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Vyusur said:

Magaremoto, I use “soft shadows” check box with every single light where available. But, as you said, sometimes all comes to mess and it's hard to repair anything. In the following example, I used something like what I saw on your screenshots. Some surfaces became washed out with light, some areas left too dark, and I couldn't do anything with that.

oh the stories i bet that room could tell !

3DAGE said:

Vyusur :)  try experimenting with "water" index of refraction, rather than Glass for the eyes/moisture.

also,. add a small amount of bump to the eye surface for close up portraits.

one of the main problems, especially with new users, coming from studio ,. is the expected loading of all the correct maps/values when you load a figure.

most of the time Carrara fails to correctly load all of the images, (bump spec.. etc,) or fails to convert the DS/poser material values to something which works better in Carrara. so it's good practice to check all the maps and values in the shaders after loading.

here's a couple of test renders of darius 6 (done a while ago) in octane and carrarra ,. IMO the Carrara is better. .. the octane shader probably needs more work :)

Oh,.. I also made some ice cream .. with sprinkles

ice cream avec sprinkles heart

amazing how with carrara you can get the great realism of the ice cream by 3dage and the surrealistic illustrations of head wax; never thought before to use carrara as a tool for artistic painting; head wax, your digital art reminds me something I've seen before, maybe in a music video? I can't remember but the anxiety that evoques is typically surrealistic imho

here another test on translucency and fresnel in sss channel; no postwork

lovely,

the middle outfit one of my all time favorites

Vyusur said:

Bunyip, thank you for wish-listing my Tanya.

Bought !!!!!

Hmmm, now for some renders .....

Bunyip, thank you! Good luck with your renders.

edited March 2018

thank you mistara, great and fully working outfit indeed yes

talking about uncanny valley:

Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited March 2018

another try on SSS translucency and fresnel, a bit of more contrast in post

3.jpg
    4200 x 4800 - 2M
    edited March 2018

w.i.p. test on skin reflectance,translucency and sss, 14 millions of facets, no postwork

124.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M

after the war ,  cant tell of it needs the aboo trick.>.<  horizon is rendering a line cool was trying to lower horizon

afterthewar.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited March 2018

final shot, added Indirect Lighting, enhanced contrast in post

11.jpg
    9999 x 5034 - 5M
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

Michaels Deli and Grocery. Part of my Blue Collar Worker District for a 50s Sci Fi Story.

Deli Worker District.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited March 2018

rendering sacrament.  converted pieces to props. dragged to carrara tray.  it didnt ask me if i wanted to save internal.

lot of black rendering on the floor.  forgot again where the uwrap setting is.  used a brick procedural fixed the black areas

added translucence to the windowsmiley

uwrap tick, in the wrench room with uvs tab selected.  have to actually have the poly on the mesh selected

in the conservatory with a candlestick  and the Kernal with Ms Scarlet,  oh the scandal

sacrament Doc39.png
    1000 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by Mistara on

Michaels Deli and Grocery. Part of my Blue Collar Worker District for a 50s Sci Fi Story.

cold beer !!  marking deli on my road map. smiley

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Magaremoto - your normal excellence.  I hope that i can use your lighting techniques someday.

Sci Fi funk - what a cool model!  And thanks for the live stream experiment.  I haven't watched yet, but I know I will learn a lot.

Misty - a couple of great renders!  Nicely done with that stained glass.

edited March 2018

TY smiley  UB

tried it again with the original floor testure and un 0 uwrap magic

and a few more pieces of the set

uwrap tick.JPG
    1097 x 584 - 98K
    Post edited by Mistara on
This discussion has been closed.