Carrara Characters

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

As for voxels, it's my personal idiosyncrasy against them. I maniacally like smooth surfaces with precise lines and contours without any jagged edges. Sorry if it can hurt.

• MatCreatorMatCreator Posts: 215

I know what you mean. Took a bit to get used to for me too, but after you see the results in the detail of the mesh that can me achieved, and that any voxel model can be retopped, its an advancement not to be disregarded. A rendered image, you wouldnt even be able to tell, quads or triangles, you dont see faces, and even further, how often do people "show" their wireframes?

i dont want you staring at my "mesh", lol

Recently I read somewhere that voxels also use as volumetric containers for clouds, fog and etc. It can be acceptable enough for me in this context.

• MatCreatorMatCreator Posts: 215

You realize, this is an "art" realm in one form and then another.... don't handicap your creative freedom, always encourage and push yourself to test your limits and boundaries.

Or you can just think outside the box, I forget which is easier =P

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited April 2017

Or you can just think outside the box, I forget which is easier =P

There's a box??!! laugh

Post edited by PhilW on
  • ... how often do people "show" their wireframes?

I show my wireframes a lot actually, beauty of wireframe is that it shows how much thought and time went into creating mesh, polygonal modeling is an artform in itself wink

I show my wireframes a lot actually, beauty of wireframe is that it shows how much thought and time went into creating mesh, polygonal modeling is an artform in itself wink

Absolutely agreeyes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

well how come Octane 3 sees my Carrara volumetric clouds as voxels then?

Not that I can do a lot of "sculpting" on them, its more just shape parameters 

http://www.monolith.zone/#introduction

I am getting off topic but this looked interesting 

It's there on lightwave.com: «Hypervoxels allows you to create beautiful smoke, flame, liquids, explosions, nebulas, clouds or any other volumetric effect that you can imagine. With real-time interactive support within LightWave's VPR, you can experiment and adjust volumetric effects to your heart's content. All calculated at beautiful, final render quality directly within the LightWave interface.»

I don't know if it's possible in Carrara.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

VDB is relatively new ,. and since Daz3D are more active in NOT supporting or developing any software other than Studio for dummies ,.VDB creation has not been added, or is at this point possible with any Daz3D software

Carrara is sadly lacking in any Volumetric shaders,.. and the ability to create realistic Sub Surface Scattering effects

You can use Blender to create VDB files from particle effects like fire n smoke.

As Wendy points out,. Octane Renderer  folr Carrara allows you to open a VDB file,. or sequence.

VDB (Volumetric DataBase)

pity Monolith does not appear to export VBD

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322

So why try and compete with Daz Studio figures?

Do something entirely original! That's kind of why I brought up 3DU's Generation Toons. Not to say to make Toon figures, but to put it out there that, at the time, Generations didn't have a whole lot of competition in that field.

I would bet that Vyusur's Dino would make a LOT of sales. maybe not compareable to, say Victoria 7, but possibly more than something else, like a spider or something. Look for gaps in what's currently available. 

Then, instead of just having the figure, have it come with it's own scene presets. Make a Carrara-specific figure release something much more than what other offering are getting the user. For example, the Dino could come with a small outdoor scene with some trees and a drinking pond (?)

Sorry I am late to conversation but just wondering will DAZ not make money with Carrara CAR files with FBX models like spider etc; those models will also be licensed and sold through DAZ only. It will probably encourage people to try Carrara as well. It will also be nice if we can buy licensed music, sounds with more focused animations etc. in DAZ Store for use in indie games and indie movies etc.​ Just a thought.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    Vyusur said:

Do something entirely original! That's kind of why I brought up 3DU's Generation Toons. Not to say to make Toon figures, but to put it out there that, at the time, Generations didn't have a whole lot of competition in that field.

I would bet that Vyusur's Dino would make a LOT of sales. maybe not compareable to, say Victoria 7, but possibly more than something else, like a spider or something. Look for gaps in what's currently available. 

Then, instead of just having the figure, have it come with it's own scene presets. Make a Carrara-specific figure release something much more than what other offering are getting the user. For example, the Dino could come with a small outdoor scene with some trees and a drinking pond (?)

Dart, thank you so much for kind words and useful advices! You gave me the food for thoughts about my Dino. I have some Carrara native outdoor scenes made by me from scratch without any templates and presets. And I have some trees made separately in Blender and Hexagon. Maybe it's a good idea to try to compile all those things together.

So Awesome!!! Very nice landscape!

PhilW said:

We certainly are spoilt these days - when I started in 3D, everything that you needed, you had to make yourself. Then came cd-roms of content which you lap up because it meant that you didn't have to model everything from scratch yourself, even though some of the models were pretty ropey to be honest. Compared to the figures and clothing and all the rest that is available today, we are just so lucky.

Agreed. I was actually learning 3D to do just that - make my own stuff.

When I was turned on to Daz3d, I was amazed! I had Poser 5 at the time, which I thought was really cool. Daz3d's products made it even better - and that was (or feels like) a long time ago, before Victoria 4. 

Now we have so much more than we had even then, which really wasn't all that long ago, which just goes to show how many passionate artists we have out there willing to sacrifice ther time to make compatible products. It's Sweet!

... how often do people "show" their wireframes?

I love and respect (and stare at in awe) your awesome topology, FifthElement! Forever a fan = me! yes

Sorry I am late to conversation but just wondering will DAZ not make money with Carrara CAR files with FBX models like spider etc; those models will also be licensed and sold through DAZ only. It will probably encourage people to try Carrara as well. It will also be nice if we can buy licensed music, sounds with more focused animations etc. in DAZ Store for use in indie games and indie movies etc.​ Just a thought.

That's actually kind of the point I was trying to make. When you say "Spider, etc.," I'm talking about the fact that, if we wanted to do Carrara rigged figures and sell them through Daz3d, we wouldn't really want to try and compete with Daz3d's human figures. 

For one, their human figures are already really well made and work pretty darned good in Carrara. So it might be more fortuitous to actually support those figures rather than compete with them.

For another, if we did try to compete with their humans, would they really be interested in publishing them? They actually might. Predatron's figures are very well recieved.

So take what I've been saying for what it's worth only... just offering opinions. For me, I'd far rather buy a few morph packages for one of the generations of Daz3d human figures than to design my own. And if I were to want to sell a specific human model, I would personally rather do that via supporting a Daz3d figure than start from scratch - but that's me.

Rigging is one thing, but weight maps are another entirely. If this sort of stuff is in the realm of things that one likes to do, go for it and do it. Daz3d might just publish it for you. Carrara does have the stuff to be able to further support your creations with supplemental items like clothing and hair, etc.,  I've never done it myself, but I've seen results from when Wendy would import clothing as an obj and have it follow the skeleton of something else. I have a feeling that this is Carrara's form of 'conforming'? 

I've seen some amazing modelers here within the Carrara community, so I know it 'could' be done. 

edited April 2017
    th3Digit said:

Absolutely. Did you put this in the Free Software thread? Looks great for those whom might like to work like that!

(hmmm... I guess Vimeo links don't work in this forum anymore, eh?)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    th3Digit said:

Absolutely. Did you put this in the Free Software thread? Looks great for those whom might like to work like that!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/163506/images-from-facebook-and-vimeo-in-my-past-posts-no-longer-showing#latest

yeah know but nobody seems to care

and not yet though I did download it, not looked, got so much stuff

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

smiley paradox, using carrara to make stuff for ds, vs using ds to get stiff into carrara lol

Mistara said:

smiley paradox, using carrara to make stuff for ds, vs using ds to get stiff into carrara lol

It's a great work-flow! Carrara > Daz Studio, then back into Carrara! ;)

th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/163506/images-from-facebook-and-vimeo-in-my-past-posts-no-longer-showing#latest

yeah know but nobody seems to care

Sorry. Sometimes I come to the internet in a hurry and can only read a few posts and then leave - without leaving comments :(   Happens a lot these days :(

th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

and not yet though I did download it, not looked, got so much stuff

LOL! Same boat! It does look fun... but when will I ever get a chance to try moneying with it?!!!

Mistara said:

I hope thats a typo Misty as I reckon a few may find Carrara an aphrodesiac around here!

surprise

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

oops

froodian slip cheeky

• so i revisited the thought... had to make a few of my own to see and understand the process better, inspect and compare existing skeletons to carrara made...

one thing is that we would have to disassociate from our pre-existing poser/studio expectations, that would prolly be the biggest obstacle.

setting up a skeleton is a snap, however im finding it difficult getting info and tutorials on weight painting, or whatever the process is in which we edit and adjust the rig with the mesh. that skill would have to be developed and refined over time, as far as having something marketable, i suppose its not that that is the "goal" per say, but to have a process in which content is created with a set and accepted standard. a structured and established workflow for "good content"...

one advantage im seeing (at least for me) is that figures dont necessarily mean humanoid, so abstracted joint rigs is what i prefer. there is also a lot of "poserizing", a process i have come to dread. i admit, studio-izing isnt half as bad, but havent done figures yet.

i got the makehuman figures into carrara, theyre pretty articulated, but could use some help with the bending to look better. rigged a very old creature creator mesh, and modeled something in hex to rig. the rigging is easy, but next step is to fix the bends.......

other topics to follow =P

- image3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 360K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

~ wait for it ~

devil

• what are we waitring for?!? ya lost me there, lol

well I found  Carrara rigging FBX exports to most things like Blender better than DAZ rigging and using DAZcollada even imports into DAZ studio!

so I guess we are waiting for you to make some wink

edited October 2017

setting up a skeleton is a snap, however im finding it difficult getting info and tutorials on weight painting, or whatever the process is in which we edit and adjust the rig with the mesh. that skill would have to be developed and refined over time, as far as having something marketable, i suppose its not that that is the "goal" per say, but to have a process in which content is created with a set and accepted standard. a structured and established workflow for "good content"...

I recall that I was strugging with weight painting too, so I found my post about it, more importantly, pjotter's reply to my issues and the conversation that follows from the CCMP (Carrara Community Movie Project)

Here's the part of the conversation that I think might be most pertinent

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • I'm actually up for the challenge... I have some archived figure meshes I can use, they'll work out great as I can simply rework the uvs and not worry so much over modeling as I learn and practice weight painting.