Carrara Characters

1234568»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Wendy,

How do I export a Character rigged in Carrara and load it in either Studio or Poser,don't care which one.   I've tried to export Brash from Carrara in FBX, collada DAE, and DXF.  No luck so far preserving the rigging when loaded in Studio or Poser.

brash test fbx export and dae export.JPG
    1836 x 962 - 182K
    brash in Studio.JPG
    1591 x 902 - 187K
  • rigged in Carrara DAZcollada should work

it needs to be correctly grouped as in rigging and model under a group

Hmmm.  Guess I need some help with export and import settings.  In a new blank Carrara scene, I rigged a simple mesh to test.  I selected the mesh and bones and created an animation group.  I exported the animation group in DAZ collada DAE format with default settings.  I opened a new blank Studio scene.  I imported the test DAE file using default collada import settings.  In the scene tab in the upper left I can see that something loaded.  In the viewport, half of the mesh is recognizable.  The other half is a gobbly disaster.  The bones can be rotated and the mesh is attached, although again it is a disaster.

Is there a secret sauce for the export/import settings?  Or is there a special hierarchy for group that holds the mesh and bones?  Other issue?  How close am I?

zz05 collada default export settings.JPG
    1118 x 861 - 96K
    zz06 load Studio close some mesh discernible but half of mesh and bones messed up.JPG
    1389 x 854 - 111K
  • it looks like a scaling issue

I am stumped I know my own rigging works but if I use imported FBX stuff in Carrara  it won't

is everything scaled 100% in motion tab?

edited February 2018

Thanks, Wendy, that may be the hint I need.

The mesh is scaled at default 100%.  The animation group is scaled at default 100%.  But, when I placed the hip bone I reduced its size to fit in the mesh.  The hip bone is scaled to 33%.  Maybe the hip bone needs to be scaled to 100%.

Will do more tests tomorrow.  Too sleepy now.

yy02 hip is scaled at 33 overall.JPG
    1607 x 1016 - 181K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2018

Well, a simple scaling of the hip to 100 did not fix the problem.  Now I really am going to clean the kitchen and then go to bed.

Little test dude is being contorted badly.

y03 scale hip to 100 did not work.JPG
    1582 x 897 - 144K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • I decided to test a audio lead and it indeed came in rigged but oddly not animated

and DAZ studio will not allow me to convert to weightpainting as presumably it is already (but not recognised as a figure which does not surprise me) I can pose it by rotating the bones though.

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 227K
  • here it is for you to play with

zip
    zip
    lead.zip

More rested now.

Thanks for the tips.  You gave me enough information for a successful test.

And thanks for the sample file.  Will check it out.  

I successfully exported a rigged animation group in collada dae format and loaded in Studio and posed.  

- All scales are at 100% for the mesh, the bones in the rig, and the animation group.

- Each bone in the rig was placed separately.  I did not duplicate with symmetry from the left side to the right side.

The Brash figure is not transferring successfully.  It look likes half of the mesh is OK.  It could be that many of the bones are not at 100%, such as the finger bones.  Or it could be a problem due to duplicating with symmetry.  I will try some more tests on simple figures.

yy03 testrig3 works in Studio.JPG
    1567 x 1048 - 172K
  • yes duplicate with symmetry causes issues in several softwares including iClone

I actually now find an FBX import into Poser 11 pro works better and then save as a cr2 and load in DAZ studio

• I used the Poser route and additional work in DAZ studio to make this
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/234851/a-guitar-lead#latest

Using duplicate with symmetry on the bones causes a problem.  Here, I manually placed the bones on the side that imported OK, but the bones for the side that is contorted were placed using duplicate with symmetry.

yy04 dulicate with symmetry fail.JPG
    1572 x 852 - 137K

We were typing at the same time, I think.  Per your suggestion, I fired up Poser and loaded the collada file with the duplicate with symmetry rigged figure.  It worked!

yy05 loads in poser.JPG
    1858 x 1016 - 137K
  • Diomede said:

We were typing at the same time, I think.  Per your suggestion, I fired up Poser and loaded the collada file with the duplicate with symmetry rigged figure.  It worked!

now save it as a cr2 and if animated a pz2 in poses

it should load in DAZ studio and is best converted under edit to weightpainting and saved as a support asset figure

​My version of Poser does not have FBX import as an option.  Will have to cntinue to work with collada.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited February 2018
    Diomede said:

​My version of Poser does not have FBX import as an option.  Will have to cntinue to work with collada.

it still should I imagine, work that is using collada

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Yes, thank you again.  I completed the Carrara collada export to Poser CR2 to Studio workflow for the test figure.  Success.  yesyes