Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks for those tips.  A lot of useful things to ponder for me, untrained in the visual arts.

And thanks for mentioning Ron's stuff.  I knew he did brushes - I even have a set - but I didn't know he did overlays.  Then again, until the last few weeks, NPR and overlays were the furthest thing from my mind.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233
    head wax said:

Thanks Dart and PhilW :) 

Dart - yes amongst other things Howler has a great graphic pen filter.

PhilW ... Ah yes, to hide the Genesis is the aim!

I spent a few hours before work seeting this up, and when I got hom I got and end of file error......... when I went to work on it some more. Gah. 

Ever since I have been working with the beta it crashes more often than not. The only end of file I used to get in 8.1 if I save on a disc that was temporarily full because PhotShop Elements was being greedy.

Hope it doesnt become consistent!

Always a real pain when that happens :|

The last time I got the dreaded "an error has occurred" when trying to render, I went back to my assemble room and un-parented a bunch of stuff and then tried again, and it worked. I was then able to save the job at least long enough to render it.

Oh... and I forgot to first mention how immensely awesome tat image is! Bravo!

Fantastic new works as well! Very cool stuff Head Wax!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757
    edited April 2017

Steam Mech, YAToon filter.

SteamMech.png
    800 x 600 - 427K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Bunyip02 said:

Nice!

Can someone print a list of all the toon/NPR filters and engines for Carrara, and how they differ?  For me, it's starting to get confusing.

edited April 2017

Walkies. YAToon filter. Then postwork in Filter Forge with watercolour filter.

SteamMech2.png
    800 x 600 - 647K
    SteamMech2 FilterForge Watercolour.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Thanks Dart :)

Happy Easter Stezza. Go the Rabbitohs! Is Eric Simms still playing for them?

edited April 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

This one is pretty wonderful!!!!! That's an amazing render. 

@UnifiedBrian ... well there is Yatoon (free) not sure how it works

ToonPro (paid for) - gives lines and or toonish shaders .

Toon1Part111 (on board renderer)

The first two give you a choice of altering every texture individually .

The last one does it for you :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2017

Here's two from the present challenge. One with no postwork to show the genesis. Heavy use of Fresnel to outline edges. 

inboaNopostworkt.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    inboat.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 4M
    edited April 2017

Head Wax, you continue to top yourself.  Very inspiring.  In some ways, I even like the no postwork image better.  The background textures are so perfect for the creepy mood.

Funny, I am also doing a skeletal themed version.  No fresnel though.:)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Head wax, beautiful graphics but I don't like the plague theme in any form.

edited April 2017

Thanks Mr Brain :)

Yes I like the non postworked one too.

One of the things I do when I have finished destroying an image is paste the old imge over  the top to make sure the post worked one is actually better than the original :)

The main reason I post worked this one is to get in some prectice and try and make it a liitle more hand done in appearance.

I've been playing with Topaz Impression for a day or two. It seems to work better with more contrats so I relit the same scene with one light then attacked the result.

@Vyusur

Thanks very much! :) Ah, the Plague theme? It's interesting how images are interpreted. To me they are just two skeletons going on a fishing trip (rods hidden below deck).

But I am  in Australia. European History is just history to us, but closer to home I imagine it evokes different feelings.

I went to France for two months once. You could smell History  rotting in the soil. 

Here we don't have it. But it makes me realise how Cultures are so different!

onelight1-Edi1t.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    edited April 2017

Messing around with Yatoon filter. The same thing as with Toon III: I am not completely satisfied with contours. Something tells me that Toon!Pro couldn't give me desired smooth perfect contours.

BullToon.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 296K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited April 2017

Spaceship scene. Included screendump of my YAToon setup.

Spaceship Herminio3 Topaz.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Spaceship setup.png
    1921 x 1046 - 633K
    head wax said:

Thanks Mr Brain :)

Yes I like the non postworked one too.

One of the things I do when I have finished destroying an image is paste the old imge over  the top to make sure the post worked one is actually better than the original :)

The main reason I post worked this one is to get in some prectice and try and make it a liitle more hand done in appearance.

I've been playing with Topaz Impression for a day or two. It seems to work better with more contrats so I relit the same scene with one light then attacked the result.

@Vyusur

Thanks very much! :) Ah, the Plague theme? It's interesting how images are interpreted. To me they are just two skeletons going on a fishing trip (rods hidden below deck).

But I am  in Australia. European History is just history to us, but closer to home I imagine it evokes different feelings.

I went to France for two months once. You could smell History  rotting in the soil. 

Here we don't have it. But it makes me realise how Cultures are so different!

Hello Headwax, some of your scenes have been a bit on the darkside but always wonderful composition !!!!!

Looks like your getting some nice results from Topaz Impression as well, might need to add that one to my post-work library.

Regards, Bunyip

edited April 2017
    Vyusur said:

Messing around with Yatoon filter. The same thing as with Toon III: I am not completely satisfied with contours. Something tells me that Toon!Pro couldn't give me desired smooth perfect contours.

Here's a series with ToonPro to help you decide. One has a fresnel effect for fun :)

Most are rendered with no base - so just lines. Hope that helps :)

The overdraw effect can be removed too, See the one named 'clean'.

Doc7.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 82K
    Doc8.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 110K
    Doc9.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 99K
    Doc11.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 91K
    Doc13.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 135K
    Doc14.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 90K
    Doc17.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 76K
    clean.jpg
    1824 x 1044 - 121K
    clean.jpg
    1824 x 1044 - 121K
    Vyusur said:

Bunyip02 said:

Spaceship scene. Included screendump of my YAToon setup.

The spaceship and the giant sphere look terrific :)

The Topaz thing isnt bad, thank you for the compliment.

There's 40 percent off for the next few hours afaik.

@head wax, very cool! Thank you for the help. Most of all I like the last two called "clean". As I could see, this plugin is very sensitive to the subdivision level.

edited April 2017

@Bunyip02, thank you for your settings. It seems to me that you don't use Yatoon shaders, only the filter itself.

Steam Mech is especially good looking!

Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited April 2017
    Vyusur said:

@Bunyip02, thank you for your settings. It seems to me that you don't use Yatoon shaders, only the filter itself.

Hello Vyusur

I am still exploring the use of shaders, but have been concentrating so far on the Toon filters added with post-work filters to get some effects I was after.

Regards, Bunyip

Spaceship Herminio3 Topaz FilterForge Watercolour.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    edited April 2017
    Vyusur said:

YAToon shaders to M4 & toonified spaceship & clothes

Spaceship Herminio4.png
    800 x 600 - 841K

Today's effort after looking at NC Wyeth's work and Howard Pyle's as well.

Not happy with the right leg and the fact that his teeth are too many and too clean.

Used Topaz's filters amongst other things.

HW, I'm putting on the critics hat - always a dubious venture.

Assuming you were going for Wyeth and a painted look, the background textures are extroardinary.

I also like the sword, even though he is holding it weird.

What keeps me from thinking it is painted is that the character and clothing have clean outer edges, especially the hat, upper arms and cloak.

That said, if I could do 10% of what you have done, I would be happy.

edited April 2017

thanks @UB for the c and c, good call on the crispyness :) and yes the rapier thing is weird - I've ony used genesis a little and found his hand controls only had a choice of 'grasp' and' fist' , but neither fitted the bill for some reason. When I reloaded the scene 8.5 said it coudn't find the rapier and replaceit with a cube! never had that before - pita.

thanks again for the c and c, it's very valuable, I did actually blur some of the edges in other places,

there's other things that could be improved like the odd cut out shape between his upper thighs where the ground is too close in colour/tone to the coat .

He needs a suntan, a scar, broken teeth and a beard too :)  his left leg is too stiff as well. Plus a non dead parrott (thanks Stezza)

the cape I tried to cloth sim with VWD and wind but it kept crashing

for the back ground I rendered it separately so I could have better control, and rendered the pirate out seperately as well, and put a plane underneath him as a shadowcatcher

couple of links

wyeth clouds https://au.pinterest.com/pin/7107311881808144/

wyeth palette http://johnlechner.com/n-c-wyeth/

edit this one is superb http://artofnarrative.tumblr.com/page/99

wyeth Treasure islandhttps://www.google.com.au/search?q=n+c+wyeth+treasure+island&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjB2-WQ3a_TAhWIkpQKHee4CEoQsAQIIA&biw=1366&bih=643#q=n+c+wyeth+treasure+island&tbm=isch&tbs=isz:l&spf=191

interesting work here http://www.howardlyon.com/blog/

@head wax,

I think that in whole your picture looks like painted one, like those old masters' works. In your work, I was more confused by the symmetry of the cloak over the symmetric doublet. I think it decreases the dynamics of the entire image.

As for clean edges, nearly all my oil painted works have clean edges without any roughness. As an example I attached my oil painting of a dancer.

dancerbordo500.jpg
    412 x 500 - 95K
    head wax said:
    I did actually blur some of the edges in other places,

I did noticed that, and just thought that more was needed in the upper part.  But not too much, as it looks like Wyeth (in my whole 15 minutes of studing his technique, lol) tends to be subtle about it.  Not clean, but not way outside the edges either.  That's why I liked the sword.

head wax said:

there's other things that could be improved like the odd cut out shape between his upper thighs where the ground is too close in colour/tone to the coat .

Since you have pointed this out - it's now all that I can see! :))  Repositioning the character or the background is likely a lot of trouble.

All that aside, your experiments here are giving me a much greater sense of what is possible in Carrara, and in 3D in general.  Can't express my admiration for your work enough.

You hit the target more often than not.  I have a lot more studying to do before I can even TRY to copy the style of a master.

Vyusur said:

@head wax,

I think that in whole your picture looks like painted one, like those old masters' works. In your work, I was more confused by the symmetry of the cloak over the symmetric doublet. I think it decreases the dynamics of the entire image.

As for clean edges, nearly all my oil painted works have clean edges without any roughness. As an example I attached my oil painting of a dancer.

thank Vyusur - yes the coat is a bit odd, nice observation.! Lovely painting you have made . I'm just the opposite - nothing is neat in my work...

I'll dig something up   ... here is an example http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/menage-quatre.html

edited April 2017
    head wax said:
    I did actually blur some of the edges in other places,

I did noticed that, and just thought that more was needed in the upper part.  But not too much, as it looks like Wyeth (in my whole 15 minutes of studing his technique, lol) tends to be subtle about it.  Not clean, but not way outside the edges either.  That's why I liked the sword.

head wax said:

Since you have pointed this out - it's now all that I can see! :))  Repositioning the character or the background is likely a lot of trouble.

All that aside, your experiments here are giving me a much greater sense of what is possible in Carrara, and in 3D in general.  Can't express my admiration for your work enough.

You hit the target more often than not.  I have a lot more studying to do before I can even TRY to copy the style of a master.

thanks @UB :) , here is another work after considering the comments I received - I think it's much better, thanks for the c and c

:) I don't like his beard , so if I do it again  that will be different? Plus still some hard edges around the face?

pirate3.jpg
    1286 x 2079 - 2M
This discussion has been closed.