edited April 2017

I need to do a tank now......

in the meantime here's a Thylacene smiley

Thylacine.jpg
    800 x 939 - 702K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    edited April 2017

I also wanted to see what my FJ looked like with the toonIII and NPR combined.   smiley

FJ.jpg
    640 x 480 - 150K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Stezza, they look great, mate. Wonderful design for the thiassy thingy , and the car comes up just like an illustration! :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

More questions: (if you get tired of this, just let me know)

1.  Could you have made the lines thinner on the NPR image?

2.  Why is the mane black on the NPR? 

The two questions are not related, btw.

My guess is that it is outlining each hair on the mane, which is why it looks black.

Regarding render speed, only the Photorealistic render engine was upgraded to take advantage of multthreading, so the rest are (sadly) single rendering core at a time.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    PhilW said:

My guess is that it is outlining each hair on the mane, which is why it looks black.

Phil, you are probably right.  I guess my question was more directed to why figures or outfits sometimes render as colors different from the main diffuse color, when "use object color" is not checked.  NPR is very mysterious sometimes.  I will post an example of this in the Challenge thread, before the entry deadline.

edited April 2017

Ah well, can't help myself - thans for answering the question PhilW.

Here's some of the renders from the nopost work challenge that I have worked up :)

Trying different styles.

I've just started using Filterforge again. Thanks for the recommendations on the filters. 

The last one is a pure NPR render - nopost work, straight out of carrara

tvwatchingworkedup.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    bloahm.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,193

I've been lurking in this discussion, very impressed with the images.  At the same time, I've gotten interested in the early history of San Francisco, 1849 (Gold Rush) to about 1900, including the mostly lawless "Barbary Coast".  I discovered some collages by "Satty", an artist who lived in the city in the 1960's and 70's (another tumultuous time there), and got ineterested in the same period.  Amazon has a book, plus lots of images via Google, here is an example:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a3/d3/1d/a3d31d2dda9bf049d2d7ad52e466f84a.jpg

Here is the book - 'Visions of Frisco is a rollicking romp through the Gold Rush; a wild and wondrous ride along the Barbary Coast, with glimpses into raucous brothels, smoke-filled opium dens, and chaotic, carnivalesque streets.:"

https://www.amazon.com/Visions-Frisco-Imaginative-Depiction-Francisco/dp/1587901404

Maybe my preferred realism isn't the only way ... cool

edited April 2017

Hey SteveK, well thanks for the link to that work - very inspiring, and opens new ideas :)

Me, I've been looking at some of the work of Chris Van Allenberg (Jumanji etc)  - interesting style that for me is a target to learn from.

Here's a workup of yesterdays image with some of the stuff I've learnt from his books. A lot of it is hand worked - as I've learned that the best way to get something to look hand worked is to take out the bits that don't look hand worked :)

pencil2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 4M
    edited April 2017

Last one for the day. This one using ToonPro with Toonpro shaders and a Shoetring shaders Fresnel fall off thingy which I have never used. Gave a little glow around the edges of the objects before it vanished in posr. I think it might come in handy in the future - to give edge pop?  The toonpro lines were set to also  render shader domain edges else there wouldnt be any eyes ... and we all need eyes, right? 

You can read about the Fresnal fall off shader here http://carraracafe.com/articles/10-reasons-you-need-a-falloff-shader/

edit - more fresnel images, stupid I never tried them before

oldmangraveyard_MaterialDif.jpg
    2000 x 1944 - 6M
    anunbus.jpg
    2000 x 1817 - 5M
    faubourgh.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    GardenIsometric.jpg
    2000 x 1556 - 3M

Loving the look of those Fresnel images!

edited April 2017

Ha ha thanks me too, I cant beleive they have been sitting under my nose -

mind you Carrara keeps crashing on me (using the fresnel and toon pro) so I am trying rendering half and half using a mask.

Maybe I need to check my memory cache? I've only just started with 8.5 .... does it have a memory leak? 

BTW your videos on 8.5 were very helpful thank you

... maybe it's because I am using photoshop, daz studio, oloneo and fotosketcher at the same time  and listening to you tube at the same time.....

Now if we can just drag some of thoise talented Studio users over here and get them using Carrara :)

Untitled-1.jpg
    822 x 957 - 220K
  • Maybe you could try with Sparrowhawke edge falloff shader ?

http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/Laboratory/EdgeFalloffShaderBeta.html

head wax said:

Ha ha thanks me too, I cant beleive they have been sitting under my nose -

mind you Carrara keeps crashing on me (using the fresnel and toon pro) so I am trying rendering half and half using a mask.

Maybe I need to check my memory cache? I've only just started with 8.5 .... does it have a memory leak? 

BTW your videos on 8.5 were very helpful thank you

... maybe it's because I am using photoshop, daz studio, oloneo and fotosketcher at the same time  and listening to you tube at the same time.....

Now if we can just drag some of thoise talented Studio users over here and get them using Carrara :)

Those Chrome windows are taking up a lot too!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

I've been playing around with the smoothing settings in the toon renderer and just thought I'd share some results. 

From the Carrara 7 Help file, on Custom Smoothing:
    When Custom is selected, you can adjust how it smoothes using the nine values below the Algorithm popup. The values control how much line, shadow, or higlight effect from surrounding pixels is mixed with the middle pixel's effect.

I started with a simple scene and rendered it with a sun and realistic sky with both skylight and full indirect light on.  The I played around with the toon settings to get a look I liked, turned the Ambient light to pure white at 30% and rendered that with the default smoothing settings and used those two renders as my "baseline."  

Then I saved out a series of scenes, changing only the smoothing settings for each and did a batch render of them.  The first three are the presets (None, Toon 1, and Toon 2) and in the remainder use custom settings where I set each of the boxes to a high value and left the rest at 0.00. Even with the settings at such a high number the differences can be subtle - with the images at full size, look at the shadows on the ceiling, on the floor in the middle and under the table on the right wall to see some of the differences.

ToonSmoothingTests001.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    ToonSmoothingTests002.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    ToonSmoothingTests003.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    ToonSmoothingTests004.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited April 2017

@MDO2010 that's absolutely terrific. Thank you so much for doing that. I was wondering what all those numbers were ! Cant wait to have a play. :)

2 Philemo, thanks I will check it out !

PhilW thanks for pointing that out. I upped my cache from 600 mb to 1.2gig (??) and it's been okay since , fingers crossed........................

Here's two more experiments with Carrara - one with Fotosketcher .Got to really fix the kids hair...

boy-HDR.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 1M
    chinese1Gammalow.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 3M
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

Just made this for the April 5th-April 18th PC Club Contest. I combined a toon filter render and a photorealistic render with NPR outline-only render in Photoshop. The bridge is from Carrara's Mystic Gorge by mmoir.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

@MDO2010, thanks again for posting. This has such Raiders of the Lost Arc feel. I better go and check mmoirs folder in my Carrara :)

edited April 2017

pretty cool stuff all this... yes

Playing around with my skeleton mermaid... was going to be for the Challenge ( Only come out after dark ) but I don't like the way it has turned out that much so I'll put it in here instead sad

underwater.jpg
    800 x 600 - 429K
    underwater2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 339K
    underwater3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 646K
    Post edited by Stezza on

well the b and w one looks terrific

you could render out a shadow pass, do some postwork on  the shadows to make them look hatched and combine the two in post

edited April 2017

Great tip I shall do this now. yes

shadow pass added... then removed most items from scene and did another line render of the skellmaid and added in post to try and accentuate her.

underwater2c.jpg
    800 x 600 - 350K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited April 2017

certainly adds a lot more ;'depth' to it

looks like in belongs in 'Tintin and the Skeletons of the Deep"

edit heresa link to some crosshatched shadows via filter forrge https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2270716/#Comment_2270716

An old Carrara render post worked in Corel Painter 2016

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

Absolutely amazing!!! I love this thread!

I haven't had time to delve deep ino it yet. I hope it goes into some details and advice on some settings and such. I haven't messed with NPR or Toon much beyond some quick tests that only proved to me that I have no clue where to begin. Seeing the first few posts of this thread just floors me! I wonder if these renders can remain consistent for animations, of if they're random each frame. I'll be testing it, that's for sure!

I've tried some stuff using Howler, and it certainly can help. Anyway, I can't wait to dig into this topic! Thanks!

Some more really great work recently, much of it you would never think it was rendered at all - which I guess is kind of the point! But still hugely impressive!

edited April 2017

Thanks Dart and PhilW :) 

Dart - yes amongst other things Howler has a great graphic pen filter.

PhilW ... Ah yes, to hide the Genesis is the aim!

I spent a few hours before work seeting this up, and when I got hom I got and end of file error......... when I went to work on it some more. Gah. 

Ever since I have been working with the beta it crashes more often than not. The only end of file I used to get in 8.1 if I save on a disc that was temporarily full because PhotShop Elements was being greedy.

Hope it doesnt become consistent!

attack.jpg
    2745 x 2000 - 5M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

Yes, really great images, everyone.

Artini said:

Yes, really great images, everyone.

Yes, and those VectorStyle images you have been posting in The Art Studio are amazing. Thanks for helping stir interest in Carrara!

edited April 2017

Couple of Worked up renders using the ones from the no post work thread as a starting point.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2321356/#Comment_2321356

ToonProworkedup.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 3M
    chalksmudgeworkedup.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 5M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Andrew, your canvas textures are just amazing.

Do you know of any nice blank canvas textures that I can load into the Carrara shader mixer?  I've tried several found on the internet, but they don't look as good as the canvas effect in fotosketcher (for example).

Or, is it hard to make my own?

Thanks UB :)

Ah, best thing to do is a load a neutral grey image into eg Fotosketcher and hit it with the texture only thing in Fotosketcher.

Computer textures tend to be very repetitive so the trick is to mix some together via using a few layers of different one then erasing judiciously (Overlay parameter and opcaity slider ar your friends)

What many people who arent traditional artists dont realise that (traditionally) in chiaroscuro (dark and light) that the highlights were opaque (body colour) and the darks were translucent, often just glazes.

That meant you never had as much canvas showing through in the highlights.

For premade's I uses a lot of Ron's stuff available here in the store and often on 'special'  https://www.daz3d.com/deviney

This discussion has been closed.