Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 I see you are adhering to a similar theme, looking good, stick with it :)

Oh dear... another one who like their puns. Very good! I did groan - the appropriate response to a good pun.

Dave, looks very good! A bit too perfect to be realistic in my view, you'd have to degrade the image somewhat I think to make it "better". Which sounds a bit contradictory I know, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

I agree with that comment. I showed someone the render and the first comment was "Not realistic enough, no cardboard box ever looked that neat and pristine, and none has all the containers lined up so neatly with all the labels in the same direction, it's too perfect to be realistic"

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    @TheSavage64 I see you are adhering to a similar theme, looking good, stick with it :)

Oh dear... another one who like their puns. Very good! I did groan - the appropriate response to a good pun.

Dave, looks very good! A bit too perfect to be realistic in my view, you'd have to degrade the image somewhat I think to make it "better". Which sounds a bit contradictory I know, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

I agree with that comment. I showed someone the render and the first comment was "Not realistic enough, no cardboard box ever looked that neat and pristine, and none has all the containers lined up so neatly with all the labels in the same direction, it's too perfect to be realistic"

That being said, as a commissioned image, the client has to be satisfied. I'm certain Dave could if he wanted make it appear more realistic - with dog eared cardboard and uneven packaging, but then if he did that, then the client may as well have hired a photographer. So as things stand, there's no criticism here, only observation.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Yes, clients want perfect not poxy :)

edited December 1969

LOL ☺☺☺☺☺☺

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

It could still be battered a bit with that stick :P

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments guys (and gals), even the puns. :)

Yes, in these illustrations the client wants to see perfection over realism.
    As with the render of the ClearFix Cartidges, this product doesn't exist yet (Well I think the product exists but it's packaging as just been updated) so a photo was out of the question and if a photo was possible, any dog eared edges etc. would have been meticulously airbrushed out to make it as perfect as possible.

Though thinking about it now, If I'd added some defects in Bryce and then had to airbrush them back out in Photoshop, it would have taken longer and the client pays me by the hour so I'd have earned a few extra quid. :lol:

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

As with the render of the ClearFix Cartidges, this product doesn't exist yet (Well I think the product exists but it's packaging as just been updated) so a photo was out of the question and if a photo was possible, any dog eared edges etc. would have been meticulously airbrushed out to make it as perfect as possible.

Though thinking about it now, If I'd added some defects in Bryce and then had to airbrush them back out in Photoshop, it would have taken longer and the client pays me by the hour so I'd have earned a few extra quid. :lol:

what's a quid

edited May 2013

bigh said:

what's a quid

It's twice 10 bob. If you have 25 they become a Pony.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    bigh said:

what's a quid

It's twice 10 bob. If you have 25 they become a Pony.

never heard of a pony - is it more then a pound

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    never heard of a pony - is it more then a pound

If a pony is less than a pound it's probably ready for the knackers yard.
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

10 bob = 10 guys named Robert.

Finally took the time to try David's star burst, but couldn't add the space ship since it isn't something I own; or taken the time to find a nice free one. Anyway, watched the video several times since things at my end weren't coming out as shown in the video, but perseverance paid off. Below are a couple of my attempts.

Gas_n_Star_850_x_850_8_1.png
    850 x 850 - 684K
    Gas_n_Star_850_x_850_7_1.png
    850 x 850 - 572K
    edited December 1969

Good work. I like the first a tiny bit more.

edited December 1969

Well done Jamie.

OK, so because I can't get things right first time around Bryce Landscaping - The importance of lighting 2b - by David Brinnen

Island_cluster_different_ways_to_light1.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 366K
    edited December 1969

Using David's recent video tutorial for landscaping as a basis, (I'm not sure about how I feel when the video is basically for beginners and I still learn stuff :-)) I played with various bits and then as usual it went in a different direction.

This is the result:

CloudsOverSea.jpg
    1100 x 650 - 450K
    edited December 1969

Using David's recent video tutorial for landscaping as a basis, (I'm not sure about how I feel when the video is basically for beginners and I still learn stuff :-)) I played with various bits and then as usual it went in a different direction.

This is the result:

Looks great. Don't feel too bad. I consider myself to be a veteran user (for which read power users in the parlance of webmasters) and I learn new stuff almost every time I record a tutorial. And besides, choosing an appropriate level of difficulty to assign to a video is very tricky. And I get some grumpy messages from people if they feel I've got it wrong. But not quite so many grumpy messages as if I provide no guide what so ever.

Nice work with the material. Just rendering the Bryce Landscapes - materials video... urgh... a tricky topic indeed. Worse than the geocrafting. And that was bad enough to do. So many variables, so much scope offered by the nested labs. Not enough sleep. Not enough time. Anyhow, I am cheered that you found the tutorial useful - so at least I wasn't wasting the time it took!

edited December 1969

I hear - or rather read - this word geografting a lot recently but it doesn't exist in the normal vocabulary. Seems to be a buzz word for modeling with a brush.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I hear - or rather read - this word geografting a lot recently but it doesn't exist in the normal vocabulary. Seems to be a buzz word for modeling with a brush.

I don't know where I heard it either, but it seems to fit nicely with the process. But what I got was Geocrafting - and I think it might come from the Minecraft community...

edited December 1969

The PA forum is full of it. I reckon how modeling is done Sculptris is what is now called Geografting, though I haven't figured out what it has to do with the Earth (Geo). But if everyone uses a new buzz word for a long existing technique, it will eventually be added to the vocabulary. If you paint instead of geograft, you're probably considered as old fashioned. And it is of course very cool if we can geograft in Bryce. Makes it a modern and state of the art program. ;-)

edited May 2013

GeoGrafting, as used by DS, is the process of adding extra geometry to Genesis to make things like horns and tails etc, for all the monsters and weird creatures they make out of the base figure. THey literally graft an extra part onto the geometry. (Including I might add the extra oarts that men come with that women don't have :roll: which is only available in the M5 pro bundle)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969
    Island2_v2_m7.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 458K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Words love or hate em there are always other definitions

geo
    Pronunciation: /gjəʊ, ˈdʒiːəʊ/
    Definition of geo
    noun (plural geos)
    a long, narrow, steep-sided cleft formed by erosion in coastal cliffs.
    Origin:
    early 17th century (originally Orkney and Shetland dialect): from Old Norse gjá
    ...From Oxford Dictionaries

@ David wow. how do you produce these excellent vids they are published faster than I can watch em.

edited May 2013

chohole said:
    GeoGrafting, as used by DS, is the process of adding extra geometry to Genesis to make things like horns and tails etc, for all the monsters and weird creatures they make out of the base figure. THey literally graft an extra part onto the geometry. (Including I might add the extra oarts that men come with that women don't have :roll: which is only available in the M5 pro bundle)
    Ah, thank you. Then it is actually extending the mesh or "melting" new parts to it. Grafting then is a medical and botanical term.

@ David wow. how do you produce these excellent vids they are published faster than I can watch em.

That's what puzzles me, too. I need at least a week to prepare, record and edit a video. Well, perhaps it would take a bit less of time if I wouldn't let myself being interrupted constantly to watch David's videos. :red:
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited May 2013

@David/Horo: Thank you very much. The only thing I couldn't get to work, according to your video David, is glowing stars. I don't remember how many times I watch the video, and went back to my WIP, but the glowing effect you show in the video didn't work for me. I found rotating the sphere gave different gas cloud affects. A couple more are below.

@Dave: Marvelous scene. Is that foam at the water line, or the material used for the island? If foam, how's it made? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I too agree about David's video proliferation. I just catch up on the latest when three more pop up. I do learn from them, more than I may realize, but having the time to try out the information is beyond my pay scale. :)

While setting up the infinite planes in David's star burst video, I came up with several that had possibilities, not star burst material, but could be used elsewhere. The three below I really liked. Please feel free to be liberal with your comments.

Star_Infinite_Plane_11_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 530K
    Star_Infinite_Plane_5_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 578K
    Star_Infinite_Plane_3_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 800K
    Gas_n_Star_6_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 747K
    Gas_n_Star_4_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 827K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David/Horo: Thank you very much. The only thing I couldn't get to work, according to your video David, is glowing stars. I don't remember how many times I watch the video, and went back to my WIP, but the glowing effect you show in the video didn't work for me.

Use Color Perspective and move up the values.

Plane examples look nice.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

That's what puzzles me, too. I need at least a week to prepare, record and edit a video. Well, perhaps it would take a bit less of time if I wouldn't let myself being interrupted constantly to watch David's videos. :red:

It helps that I don't have a TV. Or socialize. Or sleep too many hours. Or worry too much about cleaning the kitchen. Or have a lot of work on at the moment. Hopefully that will not always be the case. So I do this and continue to build up a stock of tutorials. Here's the next and the last in this Bryce Landscaping series.

Bryce Landscaping - Extracting Content and Building Libraries - by David Brinnen

Final video in this Bryce Landscaping series, give a quick guide to getting content from your scenes into your libraries.

Other video's in this series.

Lighting 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2iLM...
    Lighting 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMccdw...
    Lighting 2b - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acb_ww...
    Lighting SFX - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8vjG...
    Geocrafting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzOoYD...
    Materials - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KUWIFAhroU

Other useful video's to watch that relate.

Composition series.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQpCkQ...
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQDwSD...
    Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpRW75...
    Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khgJZ...
    Part 4b - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siPRl_...
    Part 5 - coming soon - don't look at this link yet - just a place holder - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFoS2...

Lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHLqPH...

Curvature filtering fix for landscaping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3-FDv...

Some additional text is included in the video, you may have to pause the video to read it.

Better viewed in HD - some of the controls in Bryce are quite fiddly and small.

For more tutorials visit http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/

Volcanic_island_5.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 841K
    Tall_island_4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 455K
    edited May 2013

@Horo: Color Perspective was set R-36 G-50 B-100, so perhaps R/G need increased? I'll have to play around with it to see what it'll take to shine the stars.

@David: Nice last video in that series. Really like those two images. So, when do you eat?;-)

I was going to watch another video, or was it re-watch another video?, but remembered I was going to try Horo's idea of putting the camera into a woven cube. I thought the camera was in the green colored woven cube I made, but it turned out it was only a closeup of one side. But then I repositioned the camera, this time IN the cube and the second image is the result. The cube was enlarged again, it was enlarged to 50 the first time, and the camera panned to find another interesting image. The third image is the result.

Inside_Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_4_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 929K
    Inside_Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_2_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 786K
    Inside_Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_1_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 711K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

The second one looks interesting. It is not easy to find a free space in the Woven Cube.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

GussNemo – your abstract renders are awesome.

David – A big thank you for all the cool Bryce Basic videos. A few months ago I asked you why you don’t do videos for beginners, you said something about reinventing the wheel. Lol You didn’t reinvent the wheel; you have opened a whole new world for beginners like me. Once again a Big thanks, your hard work is appreciated.

edited December 1969

David – A big thank you for all the cool Bryce Basic videos. A few months ago I asked you why you don’t do videos for beginners, you said something about reinventing the wheel. Lol You didn’t reinvent the wheel; you have opened a whole new world for beginners like me. Once again a Big thanks, your hard work is appreciated.

You are welcome. Yes well you did ask and also... hopefully, it will mean the more advanced video's will get a look now that there is something for the beginners to get a leg up to them. If doing the videos has shown me anything, it is that Bryce is far more capable than most people give it credit for. The time restrictions of recording tutorials being what they are, it's still possible to cover a lot of ground in a short time and get a passable render at the end of it. Which is satisfying!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    While setting up the infinite planes in David's star burst video, I came up with several that had possibilities, not star burst material, but could be used elsewhere. The three below I really liked. Please feel free to be liberal with your comments.

@Guss - Those are really nice renders. I especially like the blues and purples in the first one. ;-)

@David - Those last 2 renders are great, especially the first one. :-)

This discussion has been closed.