Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much GussNemo and Rashad Carter.

• Jeanval LabJeanval Lab Posts: 13
    edited May 2013

Hello,

Since the new users contest in February, I have not really touched Bryce because I was focused on creating content for DAZ Studio.
    Today I'm back with Bryce to use what I have created and continue my exploration of Bryce features.

My goals with this picture were:
    - Import a character created and posed with Daz Studio in Bryce
    - Create a material from scratch (this is the material of the stone pillars)
    - Explore the premium effects and true ambiance

The character, her pose, and the composition of the image is inspired by an illustration of Brom entitled "Dominator".

Clothes, mace and pillars were modeled with "Blender".

dominator.jpg
    1120 x 1420 - 279K
    Post edited by Jeanval Lab on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: Thank you very much for the kind words.

@Horo: Thanks. After watching David's tutorial about using texture on a surface I've another idea using TLBKlaus's setup I want to try.

@mermaid: Thank you very much. Your latest images really look stunning.

@Jivhet: The image appears to have met your goals, something that's nice to accomplish. Nice work.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - looking good, a bit busy.

@Jivhet - nice result. keep it up.

edited December 1969

If you all can stand a few more of my results, I'll show a few more. I honestly believe I've reached a point with this method that it's time to go in a different direction. (okay, enough cheering) There is post work on all of these in order to increase the contrast. And to dim the last one or you'd need sunglasses. As always, comments are welcomed.

Star_n_Cube_6_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Star_n_Cube_3_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_2_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited May 2013

@GussNemo - Looking nice. First one has a feel of bark, the second one has also a wood look and the third as a bit of a lapidary in the centre. I like the middle one best, it appears as if one would look from above into a hall with a sorceress on a dais.

Post edited by Horo on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    If you all can stand a few more of my results, I'll show a few more. I honestly believe I've reached a point with this method that it's time to go in a different direction. (okay, enough cheering) There is post work on all of these in order to increase the contrast. And to dim the last one or you'd need sunglasses. As always, comments are welcomed.

time to move on - try some thing new

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I’m really enjoying these “Bryce Made Easy” abstract tutorials. My attempt on Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 2 - by David Brinnen

The second is a 360 Panoramic Projection David suggested in another thread. I don't see much difference.

Probably because you are adding curved distortion to an already curved pattern. The difference would be more obvious if your original perspective projection featured straight lines. Also it depends how familiar you are with looking at patterns.

Rashad, yes thank you for your kind words, well, I did test your interesting suggestion and could not trick legacy TA with OL set ups. This is not entirely unexpected, but by the same token, it might just as easily have worked. I don't have sufficient knowledge of the underlying changes to the renderer that were put in place to be certain, but what I suspect is that each TA option is it's own discreet bit of code rather than using the same piece of code and building switching into it. This would be a more robust way to handle legacy compatibility and offer less risk of old files breaking in the Bryce?

Oh here I've used the rocket thrust effect to make a sunburst. Bryce Made Easy - SFX spaceship thrust - by David Brinnen

Sunset_island_5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 402K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

David,
    You're probably right about the distinctions in the code. It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement. So long as the users didnt turn on any of the newer tweaks such as boost or TA optimization the results should be consistent for legacy files up until the point the user decided to turn on the newer effects. I assumed that Scattering Correction at least worked in legacy mode but I could be way off on that too. I'll check into that.

Very nice star-burst effect! Gives the image a nice photo-graphical feel. Funny how the guy who hates flares is the one developing some of the coolest ones ever!

Well, in my own way I too suffer desperate obsessions. One of them is this darned Volcanic Archipelago. I just can't let the darned thing die, I really want to make it a product but I just dont know if it will ever be ready.

After the last round of uploads I went back to the beginning and remodeled all the trees and plants and grasses as well as the island itself. Complete reboot. Peter felt that earlier attempts had been more realistic and I think he meant that in terms of atmospherics and lighting, so I have updated the EGDLS to look a bit better and I've upped my game on the atmospherics a bit.

At this point my greatest disappointment is that I cannot use translucency on the leaves, making them look a bit cardboard. Rendering with translucency would make this a multiple day render even on my 8 core monster which doesn't seem practical. So instead I've taken to some lighting tricks to try to fake that to some degree. The fakery isn't completely successful which is why I wish there was a faster way to get it rendered with real translucency. Please let me know what you think. Thanks all

AA_56_D_5.jpg
    1260 x 840 - 2M
    AA_56_D_4.jpg
    1260 x 840 - 2M
    AA_56_D_3.jpg
    1260 x 840 - 2M
    AA_56_D_2.jpg
    1260 x 840 - 2M
    AA_56_D_1.jpg
    1260 x 840 - 1M
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited May 2013

@Rashad, that top image is my favorite, fantastic! Now I want to go to the beach.

I can just barely see some faint layering in the clouds if I zoom in, but I still love it. I've never been able to get clouds that good.

One idea, which you can feel free to ignore if you disagree, is to add a few extremely subtle browned or yellowed leaves or spots on leaves here and there, just to make it a hair less than perfect and thus a hair more realistic. For example, while they probably get trimmed off in cities and public beaches, palms naturally often have a clump of dead fronds hanging down against the trunk, and except at the extreme beginning of new growth in spring, an entire forest of leaves is rarely spotlessly healthy except in a well-maintained garden where leaves get trimmed off all the plants.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

@ Rashad so interesting how you set up all that vegetation, I am taking notice and learning, where is the wildlife, a bird here or there might draw our eyes, maybe with the render-times a case to use Bryce Lightning perhaps a network could be set up within these forums to help each other or wouldn't it be possible ?, I have only used it at home on a few old pc's to experiment.

edited December 1969

@Rashad - good to see you haven't abandoned your Volcanic Archipelago. I haven't seen a lot from you so it's comforting to see you're still at it. Indeed, not a project to finish in one hour. What I think? I'm awed.

@TapiocaTundra - it's not easy to set up a network render over the public Internet. I could make it work once, but there are many hurdles to overcome. And if you can make it for this project, it will be different for the next. I think participants need to be in a phone conference for quite a moment. Once Bryce Lightning is a true TCP/IP application with dedicated ports, things may be much easier.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Rashad: Great stuff especially liking the multi-layered vegetation you've built up... looking great.

Meanwhile... I've been exploring something less than ideal weather and beautiful scenery.

GreySkySea.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 314K
    edited December 1969

Looking cold and wet. Sun rays look great:

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited May 2013

I see very nice landscapes posted on the bryce renders posts :).Jivhet your dominator is very sexy and the mace is similar to the maces from Gothic II ,my fav game.
    I don't play with Bryce lately but when i do i like to work with the landscapes because it gives me less headaches lol well except for the part when i need to set a texture for ground and some clouds for sky slabs.Here is my latest release about terrains/landscapes , some already saw it on sharecg , some not yet, feel free to download it and play with it.
    Links to download
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/68808/view/5/3D-Model/Oxygene-for-Bryce
    and
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/68810/view/5/3D-Model/Oxygene-2-for-Bryce---The-Iron-Planet
    (you need to be logged in for downloads)

in the first pack are : Space background as jpg 5000x5000, 1HDR in 2 versions lat-long 4096x2048, spherical 4096x4096 , terrain 2048x2048,spacebones' tower retextured maps with bumps, WS free planet with rings added and retextured + bump too...Enjoy :)

note: first scene doesn't have water plane :) i used a highly reflective texture (to simulate a melted copper asteroid ), the eroded/flow channel did the rest/effect :) , lens flares created in photoshop.

May not be professional but at least it's free to download, feel free to play with it and improve it as you like :) The terrain is 2k and can be used in games engines/content too if you save as Tiff/height map.

Tools used : Bryce 7.1, photoshop, Universe Image creator, mudbox, world machine 2, HDR Shop 1.0

Highrez_terrain.jpg
    882 x 601 - 173K
    Oxygene_2_for_Bryce.jpg
    950 x 712 - 375K
    Oxygene_for_Bryce.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 354K
    Post edited by cris333 on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Tapioca, Sean, Horo, Savage,
    Thanks so much for your continued support as I muddle through this project. I've learned a lot about how to trick Bryce into doing things it can't really do. I will keep studying. Thanks!!!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    Here is my latest release about terrains/landscapes , some already saw it on sharecg , some not yet, feel free to download it and play with it.

Thank you so much Cris, that looks awesome!!! :coolsmirk:
    edited December 1969

I've learned a lot about how to trick Bryce into doing things it can't really do.

You know, we've found out a lot since we've got Bryce 7.1. I really wonder how much was implemented on purpose and how much is there by accident, uncooked leftovers, bugs even. Using combinations nobody had ever imagined that could go together and result in something useful. Your velvet using negative light, or the TA method David coined Obscure Lighting, the mirror that finally mirrors light as well are just a few examples. I think if those possibilities were really knowingly implemented, they would have been loudly advertised. In fact, it's people like you and a few others experimenting incessantly with "impossibilities" and "improbabilities", thinking not only out of the box but actually out of this universe, and come up with yet another jewel. Keep it up man!
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

I’m really enjoying these “Bryce Made Easy” abstract tutorials. My attempt on Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 2 - by David Brinnen

The second is a 360 Panoramic Projection David suggested in another thread. I don't see much difference.

Probably because you are adding curved distortion to an already curved pattern. The difference would be more obvious if your original perspective projection featured straight lines. Also it depends how familiar you are with looking at patterns.

I misunderstood you David, I thought that I would use the 360 panoramic projection to get a similar distortion to the one you got with Horo’s Lens in the abstract tutorials. Lol

I understand what you mean about lines, I did this one a while ago following one of your tutorials.

abstractglow3-rays8_64rpp.jpg
    800 x 400 - 92K
    edited December 1969

Jivhet – very nice render.

Guss- awesome work – the last one is very colorful

Carter – excellent work, I love the last two renders.

TheSavage - really cool render, very inspiring, something I would like to achieve one day.

Cris333 –Thanks for freebies, looks awesome.

edited December 1969

Rashad, the complexity of your scenes, coupled with the control you have over the lighting, as always is stunning. But as I know from looking at your source files, also stunning for my PC! Which in turn is just stunningly stunning. Or stun^2 An outstanding combination of patience and skill.

Mermaid, well... now you see, if all distortions were the same there would be no need for different lenses and filters. The spherical mapper, the scene converter and the EWL, all distort the image - in that sense they belong to the same class, but in another sense, they are radically different. But don't feel you have to stick with what we use, you can just as well create your own lenses and stick them in front of the camera and see what effect they have. There's nothing to stop you from experimenting - indeed, I actively encourage it.

Now due to there not being enough hours in the day, I'm going to dive in and explain that this next tutorial is part of a series. Since I have received a few requests to cover landscaping in detail, that's what I'll try and do. But due to the "in detail" part of these requests I'm going to break the topic up into chunks. I hope you will find these chunks to be manageable chunks and if not, please feel free to provide feedback.

The video's use content from an up and coming project that Horo and I have been working on - just in case you are curious where these scenes are coming from. The product itself is not necessary for understanding. It's just that making these video's takes so long, I like to use the opportunity to try and get some kind of return on our time and besides, we really need DAZ 3D to see Bryce is capable of selling content. That's my rational. Don't feel you have to agree with it.

Bryce Landscaping - The importance of lighting - by David Brinnen

A Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial aimed at novice to intermediate level Bryce users.

Other tutorials that you may wish to consider before watching this tutorial - depending on your level of knowledge and understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8xDl5K8KMs - camera control for beginners.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQpCkQk1mIY - setting up eyeline.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQDwSDFiLQs - stting up field of view.

Some additional text is included in the video, you may have to pause the video to read it.

Better viewed in HD - some of the controls in Bryce are quite fiddly and small.

For more tutorials visit http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/

Faded_island_3_from_tutorial_1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 767K
    edited December 1969

Mermaid, well... now you see, if all distortions were the same there would be no need for different lenses and filters. The spherical mapper, the scene converter and the EWL, all distort the image - in that sense they belong to the same class, but in another sense, they are radically different. But don't feel you have to stick with what we use, you can just as well create your own lenses and stick them in front of the camera and see what effect they have. There's nothing to stop you from experimenting - indeed, I actively encourage it.

Hopefully I will be able to buy one of these super packs some day and I am experimenting......

I spent the last few days experimenting with the camera views after viewing David’s tutorial and the noting the input by both Horo and TheSavage in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21854/ thanks guys.

I set up the scene using the Perspective camera and the top and right views and then just played with the camera controls. I did not change the position of any object or change the materials, sky settings etc . These are the views I liked. However in some images the stones are seem to be floating and in some the foreground island, even the shapes of the stones look different in some views.

Thanks David for the new tutorials, these will keep me busy for a few days

camera5.jpg
    960 x 720 - 64K
    camera4.jpg
    960 x 720 - 59K
    camera3.jpg
    960 x 720 - 59K
    camera2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 69K
    camera1.jpg
    960 x 720 - 55K
    edited December 1969

Looking good Mermaid, and it looks like you are ready to tackle the lighting tutorials. And here's another to keep you busy!

Bryce Landscaping - The importance of lighting 2 - by David Brinnen

Island_cluster_3_tutorial_2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 802K
    Island_cluster_3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 704K
    edited December 1969

Part 3 to round things off with lighting effects. Bryce Landscaping - The importance of lighting 3 - by David Brinnen

Island_upright5_tutorial_3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 691K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

My latest commercial packshot.

502BoxSmall.jpg
    1000 x 818 - 412K
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: The foliage in those images looks fantastic.

@Dave: It looks as though that ship has already had a run in with very bad weather. Overall effects are great. Your second image really looks like a photo. Really nice.

@David: Nice job with the sunburst image. When time permits I've got to watch your latest videos.

@mermaid: The abstract looks like the result after particles are slammed together. Really like the results. The landscapes are looking good. And thank you.

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - another very cool product shot. Looks as if out of a catalogue.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Part 3 to round things off with lighting effects. Bryce Landscaping - The importance of lighting 3 - by David Brinnen
    David, that is one gorgeous render!!! :-)

@TheSavage64 - another very cool product shot. Looks as if out of a catalogue.

Agreed!! Can't find anything in that render to indicate it IS a 3D render. ;-)
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 I see you are adhering to a similar theme, looking good, stick with it :)

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 I see you are adhering to a similar theme, looking good, stick with it :)

Oh dear... another one who like their puns. Very good! I did groan - the appropriate response to a good pun.

Dave, looks very good! A bit too perfect to be realistic in my view, you'd have to degrade the image somewhat I think to make it "better". Which sounds a bit contradictory I know, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

This discussion has been closed.