Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Overcome, then. Looks excellent. The stylised render looks awesome.

I have been trying to create a blooming effect as we know from oscilloscopes with the brightness set too high. But I haven't been successful.

I like that idea. OK I've taken the liberty of borrowing your image and putting it under a couple of additive trans missive blurring surfaces and re-rendered at 64 rpp. Took a few minutes. More like this effect?

Bloom_effect_transmission_blur1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 175K
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited June 2013

I'll put reading that on my "to do" list. Thanks Jim, it looks pretty comprehensive.

Edit (this "to do" done - yes I'm with you on the omission of the SSS maps and I suspect that Rashad would agree with you also since I'm certain I remember him explaining the importance of the variation of SSS response across texture maps - or something to that effect - in his own exhaustive experiments in Bryce to try and emulate the illusive yet strangely critical SSS skin effect).

I would use more figures in my scene if the DS bridge worked as it should and not in the half-hearted way it works for me most of the time.

That said, here's some renders I did this morning to put Horo's clever little conversion program through its paces. And in there you will see a Vicky!

Glad you agree. I'm not sure what's going on - more released like that today (at least that's what I understand from the included/feature list). It seems as if they think that the new shader system from age of armour is a substitute for texture maps. Being able to control SSS depth over more surfaces is fantastic, but like you said, you need to be able to control it across and within individual surfaces. Eh, I don't know what's going on. It is strange that no one else seems to be kicking off about it though.

Does the bridge crash Bryce? I know when exporting from Hexagon via the DS bridge it would (more often than not) crash Hexagon without passing anything on to DS. In any case, it looks like you're getting pretty good skin in Bryce these days with or without SSS. This new program you're working on looks very intriguing.

@Horo: I quite like your "painting" by numbers image ;)

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    I'll put reading that on my "to do" list. Thanks Jim, it looks pretty comprehensive.

Edit (this "to do" done - yes I'm with you on the omission of the SSS maps and I suspect that Rashad would agree with you also since I'm certain I remember him explaining the importance of the variation of SSS response across texture maps - or something to that effect - in his own exhaustive experiments in Bryce to try and emulate the illusive yet strangely critical SSS skin effect).

I would use more figures in my scene if the DS bridge worked as it should and not in the half-hearted way it works for me most of the time.

That said, here's some renders I did this morning to put Horo's clever little conversion program through its paces. And in there you will see a Vicky!

Glad you agree. I'm not sure what's going on - more released like that today (at least that's what I understand from the included/feature list). It seems as if they think that the new shader system from age of armour is a substitute for texture maps. Being able to control SSS depth over more surfaces is fantastic, but like you said, you need to be able to control it across and within individual surfaces. Eh, I don't know what's going on. It is strange that no one else seems to be kicking off about it though.

Does the bridge crash Bryce? I know when exporting from Hexagon via the DS bridge it would (more often than not) crash Hexagon without passing anything on to DS. In any case, it looks like you're getting pretty good skin in Bryce these days with or without SSS. This new program you're working on looks very intriguing.

@Horo: I quite like your "painting" by numbers image ;)

Thank you for your kind words Jim.

Well, Horo's clever conversion program lets us plug high bit depth masks generated from Bryce renders back into the terrain editor. This impact of this is very high quality masks for effects. Lots of effects. 8 bit masks are primitive, limiting what can be done.

Yeah, maybe they have not get grasped the significance of how SSS works yet in DS land? They think it's just an overall effect you need, you switch it on and that's it. Which is fine for things with a fairly uniform density like say, wax or plastic, but things get a bit more complicated when you look at skin. I suppose the ideal solution would be to include skeletons and muscles under the skin, then it might be acceptable to use a uniform SSS response. But failing packing your figures with absorbent gubbins, maps would seem to be the most logical and render efficient solution.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Jim - I read the threads by Age of Armor's Subsurface tool. As far as I could gather (as a complete Studio nut), this is a lighting/rendering tool and thus global, not shader based. I've seen a couple of nice test renders of skin but was not 100% convinced. It appears that using the tool is a bit tricky to get the effect right. That's my impression, don't quote me on this, I might have gotten it completely wrong.

And thank you. "Paining by Numbers" is quite flattering even though it's the other way around. The idea was to get such an effect.

@David - no, that's just blurring. See the photograph. On the left part, blooming is visible. It's sort of a faint but quite wide halo. Rather difficult to get it right on a photograph. Thanks for trying!

scope.jpg
    800 x 600 - 109K
    edited June 2013

Horo said:

@David - no, that's just blurring. See the photograph. On the left part, blooming is visible. It's sort of a faint but quite wide halo. Rather difficult to get it right on a photograph. Thanks for trying!

OK this more like the effect? It has been "scrubbed" for noise, since the scan line is added with TA optimised surfaces as pioneered by yourself in this video. Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial - Obscure Lighting for Indoors - by Horo

Edit and another version using a slightly different approach.

Trace6.jpg
    800 x 800 - 201K
    Trace5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 209K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for testing. My picture wasn't good. That one part is brighter because there was one sweep more on the left due to the time base and the speed of the exposure. I can describe it much better: just like the stars with a halo, but the lines with the halo. This is high contrast for the main thing and a rather faint halo.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I guess maybe David is too young to have ever really played with oscilloscopes :-)

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Thanks for testing. My picture wasn't good. That one part is brighter because there was one sweep more on the left due to the time base and the speed of the exposure. I can describe it much better: just like the stars with a halo, but the lines with the halo. This is high contrast for the main thing and a rather faint halo.

It should be possible... might have to be done with a less noisy trace - possibly two in fact, one for the halo and another for the line. The jpg compression I think is adding to the noise also. But not to worry, already this line of investigation has lead onto something else which I'm rendering now.

edited December 1969

Well, the digital ones have indeed different screens. I don't know how to describe what we called "blooming", it's an English term.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I guess maybe David is too young to have ever really played with oscilloscopes :-)

Are you kidding, I've got one sat right next to me. The difficulty is that part of the illusion is caused by the movement of the trace - just the same problem with rendering water, it's a moving thing, that gives it a quality that is hard to translate into a static image. The thing is, the trick is, to get a kind of "impression" of the thing. That impression however may not be the same as a still image of it. If you see what I mean?

edited December 1969

Ah, while I'm testing out your latest video. In fact, a straight line is all that is needed to test - but this thing is from the outline project so you can also use the dragon.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Well, the digital ones have indeed different screens. I don't know how to describe what we called "blooming", it's an English term.

Seems like a pretty fair description to me. Part of it is it lighting the inside sheet with the reticule on.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Are you kidding, I've got one sat right next to me. The difficulty is that part of the illusion is caused by the movement of the trace - just the same problem with rendering water, it's a moving thing, that gives it a quality that is hard to translate into a static image. The thing is, the trick is, to get a kind of "impression" of the thing. That impression however may not be the same as a still image of it. If you see what I mean?
    Well, if the sweep time is fast enough, you get a static image and if you turn up the intensity too much, blooming appears (and usually the line gets defocused, too). Actually, it is best seen on an analogue storage scope.

edited December 1969

New effects are spawned.

Trace7.jpg
    800 x 800 - 242K
    TA_line_light1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 293K
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your kind words Jim.

Well, Horo's clever conversion program lets us plug high bit depth masks generated from Bryce renders back into the terrain editor. This impact of this is very high quality masks for effects. Lots of effects. 8 bit masks are primitive, limiting what can be done.

Yeah, maybe they have not get grasped the significance of how SSS works yet in DS land? They think it's just an overall effect you need, you switch it on and that's it. Which is fine for things with a fairly uniform density like say, wax or plastic, but things get a bit more complicated when you look at skin. I suppose the ideal solution would be to include skeletons and muscles under the skin, then it might be acceptable to use a uniform SSS response. But failing packing your figures with absorbent gubbins, maps would seem to be the most logical and render efficient solution.

Masking is something I tend to do with photoshop, and tends to be somewhat random and experimental, though I have learnt a number tricks. Doing it all in the 3D app is certainly an appealing idea. Bloom is something I would love to be able to do in DS. Bright ambient lights look terribly flat, especially when not using the CPU expensive GI component of UberEnvironment.

With these new SSS characters, I'm really not sure about the thinking. Many characters released in the store have come with very good SSS strength maps (colour maps too if you're lucky). That said though these maps were never the rule. I think Poser handles SSS in a different way, such that many Poser content producers have not had to create these maps, and just work on shader implementation. Not sure how correct that is, but that's how it seems for an occasional Poser user.

@ Horo: not sure in what sense you mean global. AOA's shader is applied directly to the surfaces and only seems to affect the surfaces it is applied to. It is certainly early days when it comes to this new system, and I can't say that I've done much with it.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: The affects you've achieved in those images is quite nice. And I would agree with the paint by numbers tag.

@David: The first five images are amazing, especially the first one. Except for the last image, those between really have an art deco feel to them.

edited December 1969

@David - yeah, I've had that also, though in other colours.
    Second one is more a neon light than a blooming effect. But it is super great and will have its uses, I really like it.

@Jim - yes, I understand that different masks are used and then what I call global has only an effect at those parts. The term global was a bit unfortunate.

@GussNemo - thank you.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2013

Kinda like on a Myst/Riven theme: unlock a puzzle to a puzzle etc., (Myst-ers/Riven-ers will know what I mean).

I can imagine solving some issues with the satellites, the dials, the books (especially)...etc., – e.g. align them correctly to receive a signal, turn them suchways, read additional information and details, which, eventually, unlock’s another drawer, a force field, a linking-book...etc.

Whatever the result, this image/work is, in a way, a tribute to the wonderful hours spent in such worlds as those mentioned above.

As always, renders are purely Bryce, however, will Photoshop them afterwards; perhaps, for further effects that Bryce can’t handle, or, just take too long (volumetric..etc.,), for a Deviant inclusion.

Edit: Threw in some lights, and softened shadows...but still more to do.

Jay

Myst-Riven-bryce1.jpg
    1745 x 869 - 1M
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Oh yes, Myst and Riven. Many days gone playing them. The parabolic antennae look great. I like the construction on the backside.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Those are very good games, I lost many hours of sleep during those days. That image does hearken to those days and makes me wonder what I've got to do to solve this puzzle. Nicely done.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Guss: pick up the diary laying on the floor by the table

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2013

Aha...fellow Myst-er/Riven-ers all...Horo, Guss and Bullit...many thanks. I miss such like-games...old-ish now, I guess, in terms of the current GI's and graphgics now avaialble...smile. And yes, Bullit,...the old, odd page or diary lying on the floor - always a source of wonderful additional info., to solving the next puzzle or link into the next level...hahaaa...so much fun.

Though not similar, have seen some nice trailers concernng 'The Last of Us' (YouTube review link), however, unfortuantely, don't have a PS 3....sigh.

Again, thanks to all.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Really impressed by all the artwork posted here. Kinda makes me feel out of place, but you learn by studying and practicing and that's what I aim to do. :) Followed David's fluorescent edge tutorial (http://youtu.be/kEvis28mYRY) and modified some of the settings a little bit to get it where I wanted. Thanks for the tutorial. I learned a lot!

Art

BridgedTorusElectron.png
    800 x 800 - 949K
    edited December 1969

Ok guys this is a mixture of stuff from Daz3d I entered it in the contest at PC they said it was ok to post it else where and they was no rules I could find about not using Bryce......yea Bryce7Pro is ok to go!!!! If you are a member of PC enter so we can maybe get some more interest going with Bryce

Winter_Home.jpg
    1403 x 700 - 694K
    edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - you've mastered the tute. Good work.

@Trish - you're perfectly right and Pam is doing it quite often: submit Bryce renders to contests and let them know with what it was made. I'm a bit on the lazy side in this respect, I'm afraid.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Sorry bullit35744 but what is PC contest? If i could post one of my renders in this contest I'll be proud.

edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Sorry bullit35744 but what is PC contest? If i could post one of my renders in this contest I'll be proud.

You could enter the Bryce render Challenge. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23118/ We have real prizes this month.

The PC challenge, you do have to be a member of the PC to even see the forum, let alone enter the contest.

edited December 1969

PC doesn't stand for Personal Computer but Platinum Club.

edited December 1969

ooh whoops, just get so used to saying it I forget some people don't realise that.

edited June 2013

I myself being new to this deal am having to look up Platinum to be able to spell it......sorry I copied it from Horo's post........

Post edited by Trish on
This discussion has been closed.