Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Great material effects Fencepost! A very nice render quality indeed.

I'm still plodding on, in a somewhat dogged way, at trying to elicit different shading effects out of Bryce. Improvements are largely thanks to Horo's clever programming skills. I'm just "remixing" the results and faffing around the edges. There are a lot of possibilities now.

Trace12.jpg
    800 x 800 - 134K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

David, Sort of like this and the one before last, in a way these non realistic effects now are looking good and original. How and what is Horo doing with the programming.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

just for the fun of it I call this one "New Diet" It really is a sky in Bryce not a backdrop Dragons on the left and right have david and horo's metals with a few changes

This is the kind of diet I need to go on! LOL Very nice. Did you model the dragons too?

The hardest thing (at the moment) I'm really struggling to get my head around with Bryce is all the different shadow options. There's options in every menu, including those for the render settings, and I'm not sure which to use. UGH!!!!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

The hardest thing (at the moment) I'm really struggling to get my head around with Bryce is all the different shadow options. There's options in every menu, including those for the render settings, and I'm not sure which to use. UGH!!!!

Is there something specific you are trying to do with shadows that you don't know how to do, or do you simply want to know what every shadow-related option does in general?
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

I think it's probably the latter, Sean. I'm impatient. ;) I absorb knowledge quickly, but get frustrated when I can't put it to use as quickly as I wish.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fencepost: That really turned out well.

@Trish: That's a neat looking image. Sort of a bare bones image. :-) (still no smileys)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2013

The mushroom is modeled in sculptris I turned it in to a glass ruby material could not put much with it because of the high poly count (I can not seem to keep that down) I get to playing in that program and it turns into something huge everytime.....oh well .....The really strange thing about this one is I found at least 4 figures in it after it rendered.....I call it "Poison Mushroom"

Fencepost52: no I did not model the dragons I wish I was that good(bought him at daz)

Guss; Thank you very much

poison_mushroom.jpg
    1228 x 613 - 617K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - Balls look really nice, materials are well chosen.

@Trish - looks like in a museum, very nicely done. Mushroom looks interesting. You're quite good with Sculptris.

@David - the outlines look perfect. For the last one I should have asked you whether you've played with Mindcraft again.

How and what is Horo doing with the programming.
    Oh, just a modest converter, nothing to be afraid of.

It's not that daunting. Important thing to know is that Sun/Moon Shadows in the Sky Lab is a global control. Set it to 0 and you'll never ever see a shadow in your scene, no matter how and where you set it. Keep it always at 100.

Then, all the lights can be individually set for shadow intensity, IBL as well. There are hard transitions from shadow to light. Where that doesn't look natural - in a close-up render for instance - those transitions can be softened or blurred using Soft Shadows. This increases the render time because, if rendered with low quality (few rays per pixel), the soft transitions are noisy.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

"...high poly count (I can not seem to keep that down)..."

MeshLab (Freeware - Downloads are on right of screen in link) can help reduce down the poly-count, I find. There, you would do: File/Import Mesh. Then: Filters/Remeshing, Simplification and Reconstruction/Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation. There are other options, too, like smoothing etc.,.

If the above doesn't reduce down the poly-count in a single go, then save the now-changed mesh. Close MeshLab. Open it up again, and import back in the mesh again, and do all the Filtering stuff again to reduce the polys even more. Tried doing two instances of the above Filtering in MeshLab from a single launch, but it crashes (well, for me anyway).

Cheers

edited December 1969

Good tip. I re-meshed the Stanford dragons and things with it.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited July 2013

Another attempt to make the impression of a forest with "faked" trees.

fakeforest.jpg
    1000 x 577 - 137K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Another attempt to make the impression of a forest with "faked" trees.

That looks quite good. What method did you use? Terrain spikes, or something else?
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Thank you Sean. You are right, I added 3 terrains with different spikes, one I smoothed a bit and the material is a variation of foliage of "vegetation"

edited December 1969

Looks really great at this size, very plausible.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Thanks Chohole and Trish for the links to the Brushes. I also have a very old version of Photoshop, version 7. Normally if I need snow I use a soft brush, set the mode to dissolve and use a low opacity. Haven’t used the program in ages, so busy playing with Bryce.

Interesting experiments from Horo and David. David’s Jade and the stylized effect one are my favs.

Inspiring work by everyone.

Electro-elvis, I’m impressed and inspired with how you used the terrains with spikes, thanks for sharing how you did it. Coincidently I watched David’s grass tutorial two nights ago.

edited December 1969

@Trish: Neat looking image. I tried Sculptris but could never get the hang of it. I may have to give it another go.

@electro: Really nice, does look like an aerial shot of a forest and river. Well done.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I tried Sculptris but could never get the hang of it.

In this respect, we're twins.
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2013

A few more new Peter the Polar Bear pictures.

GettingOut.jpg
    438 x 620 - 123K
    Drink.jpg
    438 x 620 - 71K
    StoopDown.jpg
    438 x 620 - 75K
    FootUp2.jpg
    438 x 620 - 69K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

And another two for now.

HalfSleep.jpg
    438 x 620 - 120K
    SatBird.jpg
    438 x 620 - 104K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Shame you are not a PC member, one of they would do find for this months render challenge in the MO forum.

Them is "Too Hot......Too Cold"

edited December 1969

Really sweet, Dave.

edited December 1969

Very cute Dave, wink back to the one winking at us. ;)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2013

Savage; I like him he is sooooo cute nice renders!!!!

Guss; Don't give up on sculptris....I can only make simple things but its fun...

Horo; do you know the programing language.....Axiom?????

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Horo; do you know the programing language.....Axiom?????

No. It was developed by Metacreations at the start of Bryce because it permits using the same code for Mac and PC. The language is proprietary and cannot be purchased.
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Wonderful images. I think I'm partial to the Blue Jay sitting on Peter's nose. Nice job.

@Horo: ...hahaha, I get that feeling a lot with several programs. I believe the fault of not catching on to Sculptris is my being much too impatient when learning something new. I feel the need to get it the first time and usually pack it in when it doesn't happen.

@Trish: I haven't uninstalled it yet, so I haven't given up on it. At the moment, I'm rather like a kid in the candy store with so many programs to learn or play with. I can't decide which one I'll stick with until something nice results. Thinking about it, It may very well be the case of eating at a buffet. Some of this, a little of that, etc. :-) (smileys still not working)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Wonderful images. I think I'm partial to the Blue Jay sitting on Peter's nose. Nice job.

@Horo: ...hahaha, I get that feeling a lot with several programs. I believe the fault of not catching on to Sculptris is my being much too impatient when learning something new. I feel the need to get it the first time and usually pack it in when it doesn't happen.

@Trish: I haven't uninstalled it yet, so I haven't given up on it. At the moment, I'm rather like a kid in the candy store with so many programs to learn or play with. I can't decide which one I'll stick with until something nice results. Thinking about it, It may very well be the case of eating at a buffet. Some of this, a little of that, etc. :-) (smileys still not working)

Sculptris is fun to play with..

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm a little hesitant to post this, as it's increasingly clear that I'm starting to move away from Bryce a bit... all the plants and background are Bryce, but the rock and ant are Zbrush. There are so many things that I prefer to do in Bryce, and I really wish I could stay in one program! Bryce is a longtime favorite of mine. I'm finally considering the dreaded upgrade to Mac, and fear I'll lose a great tool along the way, I really hate that.

UYRLz2.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 392K
    edited December 1969

The ant looks amazing. You would be hard pressed to make it in Bryce using meta balls. It's a shame Bryce is not updated to work on the Mac. It appears that DAZ is completely focused on Studio (and content for it) at the time being. It's not only Bryce that gets no attention, Carrara and Hexagon don't fare better. This latest artwork of yours really looks awesome. It's so near to reality and at the same time it is a magical world.

edited December 1969

Magnificent work Michael Frank

Inspired by Dave’s (TheSavage) recent mountain and cloud experiments, (a few pages back), I played around the same theme.

Both these images started in Bryce5 a few years ago and shelved. For the 1st I used the Bryce volumetric cloud and for the second I used David’s volumetric cloud tutorials.

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/volumetric-cloud-tutorial-1.html

seascape2.jpg
    720 x 540 - 73K
    mountaininclouds2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 110K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010

Nice image.
    Have you tried smoothing the dolphins a bit.
    Just click the E on the little menu at the side of the dolphin object and move the slider on the left up to 100
    and click the smooth ball and then the tick..

Smooth.jpg
    361 x 220 - 38K
This discussion has been closed.