Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

I'm a little hesitant to post this, as it's increasingly clear that I'm starting to move away from Bryce a bit... all the plants and background are Bryce, but the rock and ant are Zbrush. There are so many things that I prefer to do in Bryce, and I really wish I could stay in one program! Bryce is a longtime favorite of mine. I'm finally considering the dreaded upgrade to Mac, and fear I'll lose a great tool along the way, I really hate that.

Oh this image is great. Please don't do it. Please at least keep a windows PC as well, so you can do more of your wondrous images.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    @mermaid010

Nice image.
    Have you tried smoothing the dolphins a bit.
    Just click the E on the little menu at the side of the dolphin object and move the slider on the left up to 100
    and click the smooth ball and then the tick..

No I did not smooth the dolphins, thanks for mentioning that and showing me how to do it.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@M1chael: Fantastic image. I too hope you continue making these image, they have always been breath taking.

@mermaid: Those images are really nice. Mountains in the first image are really eye catching.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - very nice. The first one could do with a tad of ambient light to lighten up the shadows. A radial or an HDRI made from the sky could help. The second one is also very nice. StuartB4 gave you good advise concerning the dolphins. The clouds are very nice but the sky looks very flat. Same recommendation for the black shadows as for the mountain render. Both scenes are really very nice.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

playing around with the Ivy Generator program
    (and David's wonderful tutorials)

Ivy-test.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 863K
    edited December 1969

Good idea. Looks really very nice. Good idea about the seed object.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Good idea. Looks really very nice. Good idea about the seed object.

well I had to do something with all the wings 3d objects I created following David's methods.. :)

here is another experiment with the Ivy generator..

I call it Traffic Density..

traffic-density.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    edited December 1969

The title is well chosen. It reminds of the worldwide network paths and the number of traffic.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Michael; great modeling and a super render!!! Are you finding zbrush easy to use???

Mermaid; nice job the top one is my favorite!!

Rareth; The ivy generator is almost as much fun as sculptris beautiful work

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    The ant looks amazing. You would be hard pressed to make it in Bryce using meta balls. It's a shame Bryce is not updated to work on the Mac. It appears that DAZ is completely focused on Studio (and content for it) at the time being. It's not only Bryce that gets no attention, Carrara and Hexagon don't fare better. This latest artwork of yours really looks awesome. It's so near to reality and at the same time it is a magical world.

Thank you, Horo, always great to hear from you. I tried doing the insect models with metaballs, and it's really hard to pull it off. The plants on the other hand, work beautifully, as the geometry and process of growth are so similar. I don't think anything will compare to the fluid ease of metaballs in Bryce. I looked at the Plant Factory (made by Vue, I think?) and it's riddled with problems, not to mention the controversy surrounding usage, export size, and price. I don't want to go down that road. As long as I'm able, I'll keep working with Bryce.

There seems to be an ongoing trend or continuing habit with many users to purchase models and build scenes with pre-made pieces. I think it's fine if someone wishes to work this way, but I urge people to continue to experiment with building from the ground upwards, and Bryce is such an amazing tool in that respect. I think many people shy away from the task for many reasons... I see many citing the issue of difficulty, the challenge of thinking these things through. But that's pretty much what 3D design is about, isn't it... the process and pleasure of making amazing 3-dimensional objects with sophistication and clarity. I see many threads based on the details of manipulating light and material, but I'd really like to see what people are encountering in their experimentation with forms and objects, and much more of the whole picture! Daz appears to focus a great deal on gaming figures and the brisk business of selling models. Maybe that's where the real money is, for them.

Bryce can be manipulated and exploited (or explored) a number of ways. I'd like to see more artists come forward and show how their ideas aren't just rendered from a technical point of view, but how their concepts become realities, new worlds. I'm thrilled to bits that there's such a lively discussion about technical details, but I'm still hoping for more talk about motivations, concepts and artistic merits... and a map to the worlds that these things originate from. I want to see more of this; there is a wealth of originality and creativity out there!

edited December 1969

Michael; great modeling and a super render!!! Are you finding zbrush easy to use???

Mermaid; nice job the top one is my favorite!!

Rareth; The ivy generator is almost as much fun as sculptris beautiful work

Hi, thanks very much! Zbrush is a breathtaking program, but I find the learning curve quite steep. It's an industry standard, and worth pursuing if anyone wishes to establish a professional presence. But it hurts my brain too! It's a hard road, but well worth the effort. I think the key is to establish little challenges, doing a little bit at a time; otherwise it's quite daunting. The same is true I guess, of many of the programs we all use. Knowing the ins and outs of Bryce has made it that much easier for me to tackle a new program.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I'm a little hesitant to post this, as it's increasingly clear that I'm starting to move away from Bryce a bit... all the plants and background are Bryce, but the rock and ant are Zbrush. There are so many things that I prefer to do in Bryce, and I really wish I could stay in one program! Bryce is a longtime favorite of mine. I'm finally considering the dreaded upgrade to Mac, and fear I'll lose a great tool along the way, I really hate that.

Oh this image is great. Please don't do it. Please at least keep a windows PC as well, so you can do more of your wondrous images.

Thank you, greatly appreciated! I will do everything I can to keep working in Bryce! I'd feel quite lost without it.

edited December 1969

Magnificent work Michael Frank

Inspired by Dave’s (TheSavage) recent mountain and cloud experiments, (a few pages back), I played around the same theme.

Both these images started in Bryce5 a few years ago and shelved. For the 1st I used the Bryce volumetric cloud and for the second I used David’s volumetric cloud tutorials.

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/volumetric-cloud-tutorial-1.html

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it!

edited December 1969

well all the talk about fuzz and velvet in the other thread, I had to go and try that tutorial David linked to.

That and I had a Sculptris doodle that needed a texture redo.

Great-OZ.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 513K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @M1chael: Fantastic image. I too hope you continue making these image, they have always been breath taking.

@mermaid: Those images are really nice. Mountains in the first image are really eye catching.

Thank you, Guss!

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Hi I have a question for any one out that may be able to help me, the new release of Daz Studio 4.6 I would love to download it but I am scared I might not be able use/bridge to Brcye 7.1 Pro???

Silent_reflections.jpg
    1583 x 855 - 668K
    edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank - With your suggestion to model in Bryce rather than putting ready-made objects into a scene, you put a finger on one of my sore points. I used to do more modeling before we got the bridge. A scene is built quite swiftly with imported models. This has the advantage that you can start right away experimenting with the lighting, which is a very important part in visual light. But I got somehow stuck there because of the almost endless possibilities.

To successfully model, you need the tool that best works with your mode of thinking. A subdivision modeler like Wings3D works for me, nurbs modelers or those sculpting things are difficult for me. In fact, a boolean modeler as Bryce has works best with my mode of thinking and imagination - as does using height maps with the TE. And that's why it has occured to me several times that I should start a new modeling project. It's 3 years since I made the last model: the spherical panorama head I use to acquire those light probes. A technical thing rather than a piece of art, I'm afraid.

manf.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 142K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - velvet looks nice.

@silverdali - very nice render, I particularly like the lighting. I have Studio 4.6 installed and I could use the bridge. But then, I mostly use props and I don't know how good it works for Genesis and characters. I remember to have read in a thread that there were issues, but can't find it anymore.

Never change a working piece of software is my motto. It is possible to have Studio 2, 3 and 4 installed on the same machine in different folders but you cannot have several versions 4 installed. If you go 4.6, 4.5 is no more.

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

decisions, I am at an impasse Thanks Horo for your input

edited December 1969

Cool work by Rareth and Silverdali.

Thanks Guss, Horo and Trish for your comments.

Horo for the second one I used the sky as an Hdri with Use as Backdrop and Blend with sky options. It was a Regular render. Maybe I should change some settings and try a TA render or a radial. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

decisions, I am at an impasse Thanks Horo for your input

If you have a 64 bit machine and are running the 64 bit version of Daz Studio, you could install the 32 bit version of 4.6 and leave the 64 bit 4.5 intact, until you check out its useability. I would try it myself for you, but I'm new to Bryce, and at a week or two away from doing such things. :-)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: That first image is really nice. I like the look of the pedestal the Wings object set on. And the Wings object is really neat looking, but looks like it needs pruned a bit. Can't let the greenery get too long. :-) I had to view the full image for your second image, and I'm glad I don't drive highways that have that look. I think the velvety look of the velvet image would improve with a different background and ground plane color. I can see it looks velvety but just barely. It's still a very nice image.

@Silverdali: Fantastic image. It appears she just awoke from creation and is trying to discover what/who she is, judging by her examining her reflection. A very lovely image.

@Horo: Wow, neat looking model. Is it an actual piece of equipment, range finder maybe(?), or just something you thought of?

As to the software discussion, I think, from a relatively new user stand point, it depends on what a person what's to do and how quickly they want it done; if they're in that frame of mind. And mostly importantly, how patient they are.

Importing ready made models helps a person create a finished image much quicker than going through the process of learning how to create something. And if done often enough, becomes second nature for many. This may also be done because those using these programs don't feel they have the ability to actually create something from the ground up. It may also be daunting for new users to risk showing their creations to people they see have much more experience in an area then they do, and they don't want to risk the possibility of being humiliated in the process. If importing models into their scenes help users feel more comfortable when posting their results, then as a means to obtain confidence it's fine. But by the same token, it can limit the creativity they do possess and will more than likely never discover continuing down this road.

I've seen several videos which show how to create something from the ground up, but this type of creating doesn't seem to be tauted as much as buying ready made models. Perhaps the lack of creativity by new users is the fault of those producing ready made models; even if the reason is to get users up and creating quickly. Perhaps if more "how to" programs were produced more new users would try their hand at something from scratch. Perhaps if some programs had a shallower learning curve new users would scratch build something more often. And perhaps if everyone had all the time, and patience, in the world more scratch builts would be made.

edited December 1969

Horo for the second one I used the sky as an Hdri with Use as Backdrop and Blend with sky options. It was a Regular render. Maybe I should change some settings and try a TA render or a radial. Thanks for your suggestions.
    The second does looks better. The shadows are not pitch black as in the first, only very dark. If you created an HDRI from the sky, you had probably left the sun visible and it came into the HDRI. This is not wrong but if you want the HDRI to provide ambient light, you cannot set HDRI Effect high enough because the sun in the HDRI will make the scene too bright.

.@Horo: Wow, neat looking model. Is it an actual piece of equipment, range finder maybe(?), or just something you thought of?

Thank you Guss. Oh, if it were something I could have thought of, it would be great. I somehow lack that kind of inspiration and have to resort to copy something in front of me. This is indeed a Manfrotto SPH303 spherical panorama head modeled when I had it next to me so I could measure each part.

We know you're right about using ready made models to get a scene together within a reasonable time. But M1chaelFrank is equally right that there is more to 3D art than just that. And Bryce does have great modeling tools. There are people saying Bryce is unusable for modeling, but they are just completely wrong. It does need some time to get acquainted to modeling and there are certainly people that are very gifted and others that are not at all.

Bryce can be used for many things, creating serious art or just having fun creating something. I think it is also nice to start something and get carried away in a completely different direction while the artwork evolves. It's recreation, it is not mandatory that everything we do is utilitarian. There's more than one aspect to it.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2013

Silver...love it (as usual).

Horo...yeah, like Guss...I was wondering if you were actually using this instrument to create the wonderful (creative) works that David and yourself have been working upon. It seems from initial observations, that you programmers are thinking on another level that we poor noobs are just scarcely delving into (a compliment).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Silverdali... another fabulous render as always. You really get a good looking, warm and natural metallic thing going on.

Horo... Nice modelling, on the subject of which;

I make a lot of models out of necessity. Most of my (paid) Bryce work is for packaging design and I regularly have to start the job by building the model for the packaging labels etc to go on, but it is a rewarding challenge to sit and try to figure out how can I make X using only the tools within Bryce. Yes often for my own 'fun' art and when playing with other elements such as lighting or composition, I use pre-made content (usually freebie stuff that I will spend quite some time reworking all the materials), but having a grasshopper mind, it is very useful when I lose creative inspiration to be able to sit and do something technical like putting components together to make stuff I can use when my creativity returns.

Here a quick composition of just a small selection of the stuff I've made over the past 12 months. None of it particularly complex, but it shows what you can do very simply with boolean modelling.

Edited to add: And then there's that temple model I started and then put on hold... I'll finish it eventually. [insert roll eyes emoticon here]

StuffMade.jpg
    1000 x 620 - 460K
    edited July 2013

Thank you Dave. I'm not satisfied - but that might be why I do so few models. I set the bar rather high for me and I can't either cope with what I set out to create or I lose patience. Seeing what you're doing, everything looks perfect.

Post edited by Horo on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited July 2013

My modeling skills can't compare to those of The Savage64. But I offer here a couple of experiments of modeling-without Booleans, but I did use some Nerb cubes that come with Bryce. When I was a kid, often on trash collection day, people put out old radios. Now these were actually nice furniture, mahogany and other veneers on hardwood, but what fascinated me were the inner works. I was not supposed to "play with trash", but I'd haul one of those to my secret playhouse and explore all the metal, glass and mica inside. I decided to try to make radio-ish kinds of models from my memory and vague understanding of what each thing did. Often the radios still worked, and I could more the station selector. Lots of different tube filaments and tube shapes. Almost like sculpture or even jewelry to me. I worked on the tube models, and realized later I could ambient light for the filaments, and a low radial light to show the objects. The only post work was cropping.

RadioWeird1.jpg
    504 x 466 - 39K
    RadioWeird2.jpg
    580 x 556 - 33K
    RadioWeird3.jpg
    704 x 554 - 25K
    Post edited by IceScribe on
    edited December 1969

I'm in agreement that there's an advantage to importing models to make a scene quicker and/or with greater ease. I find it hard though to rely on other's models to create my own art. Ease and quickness aren't my goals, but I believe that this kind of process can be valuable. I relish the challenge to come up with unique material, or build objects that illustrate my concepts accurately.

Admittedly, some people may be daunted by the process of building from the ground upwards, or pressed with the difficulty of mentally deconstructing (and then rebuilding) complex objects. Sometimes I need to put everything down and walk away... but truly, I do think of methods for construction all the time. I even dream it. Part of my art is about the evolution of forms, or the challenge of mimicking the processes of nature. Bryce offers such great variability that it's hard to define it in simple terms. It's good for so many things!

When I'm not in front of the computer, I'm taking apart and rebuilding things in my head, or devising ways of approaching complex building with greater (linear) ease; it's something I've always done, and I may take it a bit for granted. When I sit down to begin a new project, a lot of my problems are already addressed and solved before starting. I don't know if this is unique or not, but I know it's part of my regular habit. Mechanical and 3D reasoning is a great mental skill to bring to this kind of work, and it's my primary motivation. One can only do this by taking risks, and going through the (sometimes laborious) process of experimentation. When I suggest this or stress it, I'm by no means suggesting that pre-made models are wrong or less valuable. In our efforts, we are all on different paths... and those paths cross with great variety and possibility.

edited December 1969

I agree with Michael about making one’s own models in Bryce. It must be so rewarding to see the final render.

Any 3D program is quite daunting. I gave up on Bryce 5 out of frustration using it for only few months. By chance, I came across this forum and since then, I spend all my free time playing with Bryce. For newbies (I’m still a newbie ;)), IMHO, knowing how to get the right balance between lighting and the materials etc is important, and should be understood first.

I was always inspired by his work and the work of someone called Yellow Pen (I think that was the name) – from the old forum and I also find Dave’s and Kine-Magik’s work very inspiring. I hope one day to do my own modeling. I normally use free models and it is very difficult sometimes impossible to apply nice materials to them.

@ Horo – I think I did have the sun visible when I did the Hdri, thanks for the additional suggestions

@ Dave – I wondered what happen to the temple model ;)

@ Ice Scribe – nice models, I like the table or will you call that a desk.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited July 2013

@mermaid010,

I did not model the desk. It's in the Bryce 7 Pro Create objects menu. It's the default material, too.

Post edited by IceScribe on
This discussion has been closed.