Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2013

Ok cool I wasn't sure what I was doing....never used one before anyway it works in bryce

Post edited by Trish on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo, a question. This product is blilled as working in DS, Carrara and Poser. Will it also work in Bryce do you think?

http://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club-items/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-one

@Pam - Yes they will work in Bryce, but you'll also have work to make them work.

Studio and Carrara take spherically projected HDRIs, Bryce can read them. However, those two programs (don't know about Poser but from what is offered, it's about the same as Studio) use HDRIs completely differently than Bryce. For the Xmas 2012 I included HDRIs for Bryce, Studio and Carrara and made short videos how to use them in each program (Guss just used in in the last 3 renders).

Bryce can use the HDRI as light source and at the same time as backdrop - tone-mapped if desired. Bryce can create a specular map from any HDRI loaded.

Studio uses a very small specular map for the light and a separate tone-mapped LDRI as backdrop. So there are two separate files.

Carrara can use the HDRI as light source and as backdrop like Bryce, but it cannot tone-map it and it cannot create a specular map.

The difference between a specular and a reflection map is that a reflection map is a backdrop with some decent resolution, a specular map produces the blurred reflections we use to call specular.

The product is quite cheap at this time. There are a lot of files that are not needed in Bryce and I doubt that there is a real high resolution HDRI in the set. It rather appears that the light generating HDRIs are rather small but there are high resolution LDRIs that can be mapped spherical on a sphere surrounding the scene.

I had purchased the set HDR Pro Sets Urban Recreation by DimensionTheory. I converted the 6 HDRIs that came with the set for Bryce but haven't used any of them - though the Yosemite Pack is definitely nicer - and a lot cheaper.

edited December 1969

@Trish - Nice scene with the red boat. I wish you success with your purchase. You may be the one who makes us all wiser.

edited August 2013

I don't think so Horo...LOL I have just read through what you wrote twice and still don't understand a word of it....What do those (balls) you and david sell do??? oh my that didn't sound right...... I am way way over my head on this subject!!! Thank God pumco isn't here he would make something out of this quick...LOL

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Well, we'll see. I purchased that set and have just finished downloading it.

edited August 2013

Well that didn't take me very long I have crashed Daz 3 times.........Lions and tigers and bears oh my...I think I will put a bucket on my head and go sit in a corner

Post edited by Trish on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969
    Another_twisted_looped_cube1_octane.jpg
    850 x 850 - 144K
    New_mobius2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 328K
    edited August 2013

David: what is that silver ball?? Sorry but I like the top one better...The 5 reasons video is cool

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Pam - about the Yosemite product. I only downloaded and tested the Studio and Carrara files, roughly 3 GB. The Studio set cannot be directly used in Bryce because Bryce cannot read 32-bit per channel TIFF, only radiance RGBE files. Neither can HDRShop read the TIFF files, Photoshop CS3 can.

The Carrara set has the HDRIs as RGBE as required. Both sets come with the following files. 16384 x 8192 LDRI jpg to be mapped on a sphere; 1024 x 512 specular convolved HDR and 8192 x 4096 HDR. All files can be loaded by Bryce, the 8192 x 4096 HDRI takes around 1.2 GB of memory until it is loaded and tone-mapped.

Using the specular convolved 1024 x 512 one with the 16384 x 8192 jpg on a sphere peaks at 1.5 GB until Bryce has loaded them. In this configuration, HDRI and sphere must be rotated and the jpg on the sphere mirrored because it is mapped on the outside and the camera is on the inside.

But the pictures are really excellent! I think for the current price it is worth the trouble. If only to be used with Bryce, the Carrara version is all one needs (882 MB to download).

@Trish - though you asked David, but the silver ball is a mirror ball - a sphere 100% reflective.

edited December 1969

David: what is that silver ball?? Sorry but I like the top one better

It is just there to show a bit of the HDRI background that Horo has created. It's a metal and it is reflective. It might be 100% reflective I'd have to check...

OK it's as reflective as the alpha channel of the texture allows it to be. So 100% of alpha.

We are talking about the sphere at the bottom left of the Bryce rendered image right?

Image1.jpg
    668 x 520 - 118K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Fire Angel: Thank you.

@Horo: Thank you very much. I'd originally though of using a fluted column, but sifting through the material library the grid looked attractive and as it turned out, worked well.

@mermaid: Thanks a lot.

@Rareth: Ah, okay, I'll give the video another go and watch the bevel when making another one. Pencil sketch image turned out well. Another video to watch.

@Trish: Glad you like that image, and I agree that switching the material looked much better. Thanks for that suggestion. Boat image is really good, though what may be giving you fits are the clouds. If you see clouds of that type in real life, they seldom allow as much sun light through as you have in the image. They are usually from horizon to horizon, and rather solid in form. With as much sun light showing in your image you might want to select another cloud which is broken is places or of a partly cloudy nature. As to the image balls you showed, I know they have a proper name but that bit of memory is out to lunch at the moment, I've seen a video that explained how to use them. But swaggers if I can remember where I found it. Basically, it as you described, camera goes inside of the sphere. And you expand it as large as you need, if those memory cells are correct.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Pam - about the Yosemite product. I only downloaded and tested the Studio and Carrara files, roughly 3 GB. The Studio set cannot be directly used in Bryce because Bryce cannot read 32-bit per channel TIFF, only radiance RGBE files. Neither can HDRShop read the TIFF files, Photoshop CS3 can.

The Carrara set has the HDRIs as RGBE as required. Both sets come with the following files. 16384 x 8192 LDRI jpg to be mapped on a sphere; 1024 x 512 specular convolved HDR and 8192 x 4096 HDR. All files can be loaded by Bryce, the 8192 x 4096 HDRI takes around 1.2 GB of memory until it is loaded and tone-mapped.

Using the specular convolved 1024 x 512 one with the 16384 x 8192 jpg on a sphere peaks at 1.5 GB until Bryce has loaded them. In this configuration, HDRI and sphere must be rotated and the jpg on the sphere mirrored because it is mapped on the outside and the camera is on the inside.

But the pictures are really excellent! I think for the current price it is worth the trouble. If only to be used with Bryce, the Carrara version is all one needs (882 MB to download).

@Trish - though you asked David, but the silver ball is a mirror ball - a sphere 100% reflective.

Thanks Horo. I have purchased it because, and guess what is also sitting in my product library. I am not being a traitor but I also now have Carrara.

edited August 2013

Ok I took the globe apart and went inside with 2 radials had to use my own ground plane for grass...and had to light him front and back not great by any means but here he is...oh also turned off the underground....plus you probably won't see an elephant in a State Park...LOL

Guss: that is probably it the sky...I messed with it forever...need to go back for something a little different...Thanks for seeing that

I went back also and downloaded the carrara file I am not buying 8.5 I just bought 8Pro not 6 months ago

David: yes that is what I was talking about....But what are these???? and how do they work are they backgrounds like this elephant???

Untitled.jpg
    361 x 467 - 142K
    ELEPHANT.jpg
    1067 x 565 - 547K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am not being a traitor but I also now have Carrara.

Carrara is undoubtedly the best rendering software DAZ have to offer. The daylight rendering is one of the most realistic available and Carrara will reward you for time spent learning to use it. It will take time to learn how to set up scenes but you can do incredible things in Carrara. A friend of mine has it installed so I've been shown the software; some of his renders are very difficult to distinguish from landscape photos.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

chohole said:
    I am not being a traitor but I also now have Carrara.

Carrara is undoubtedly the best rendering software DAZ have to offer. The daylight rendering is one of the most realistic available and Carrara will reward you for time spent learning to use it. It will take time to learn how to set up scenes but you can do incredible things in Carrara. A friend of mine has it installed so I've been shown the software; some of his renders are very difficult to distinguish from landscape photos.

I have already told DAZ_Spooky that it will never replace my beloved Bryce, but I am willing to take it for a spin and see how it goes. I guess I have to really, as I somehow managed to volunteer to moderate the Carrara forum as well as the Bryce one. We work as a team, but we do each have our own "special" forums.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

@Trish - if you use a sphere to map the LDRI around it as backdrop and put the camera inside, you have to disable Cast Shadows in the Mat Lab for the sphere. As HDRI, you should take the low resolution one YosemiteENV. In order to have the light match the backdrop, you have to mirror YosemiteDIFF. You can also use just a white HDRI. There's no need to put in a light. Set the sphere Ambient to 100 and you may also use around 50 Diffusion. Of course, you need to have the dots in place for the picture texture.

This is all not necessary in Bryce if you use the YosemiteHDR but you may run out of memory.

Those balls are HDRIs in the Bryce preferred angular map projection. They are not mirror balls, an angular map is different. Bryce IBL preview is square to match it. There are HDRIs made for Bryce that come with Bryce 7.1 Pro. They can usually be found in the Bryce folder \Content\HDRI\DAZ and \Content\HDRI\Horo. Those under DAZ are from Keith Bruns, made with a mirror ball, those in my folder were assembled from several photographs. There are also some free HDRIs on my website in case you want to play with them. Of course, I appreciate if you purchase our products, but before you spend money, experiment with what you get for free.

edited December 1969

Horo: Thank you very much for the information...I am just wanting to try new things that seam interesting to me....although me figuring out things is like a chore sometimes...My brain is on overload most of the time....LOL

edited December 1969

....although me figuring out things is like a chore sometimes...My brain is on overload most of the time....LOL

I know what you're talking about. :coolsmile:
    edited December 1969

@Trish: True, an elephant might not be seen in that type forest but that image turned out very well nonetheless. Besides, a different diet won't hurt that elephant. :-)

I revisited the mobius cube in order to try and get a better looking wrap around grid. And I think I have. What I discovered is that by smoothing the outer part twice, instead of three times as in David's video, a larger face results. Then they can be inset, collapsed, inset again and intruded to get a much larger grid. Below are two images with the larger looking grid.

Mobius_Cube_w_Grid_2.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Mobius_Cube_w_Grid_1.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Still playing with vegetation.
    This new product from David and Horo is going to be versatile and useful.
    Rendered in 2 hours (Premium TA 64RPP, soft shadows).

My additions to the scene: XFrog red leaved plant, Deer, Fairy girl and light ray.

DeerVegALT.jpg
    654 x 650 - 241K
    edited August 2013

Dave, brilliant render, everything fits together seamlessly, the rays of light really complete the effect and I'm sure a certain forum moderator will love this!

Jamie, that's the ticket, keep experimenting. When you have very fine details or high frequency patterns, you find that it is important to match the scale of your finished render to that level of detail. If your detail is approaching the fineness of the size of a pixel, you've probably gone too far. Nice results.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - the grid stands out nicely. I like the second more because the floor is less busy.

@Dave - now this is an outstanding render! I've never thought things could be used in such a way. The streaming rays certainly complete the scene. If I could rate it, I'd give it ten out of ten.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo Very nice!! grid really stands out, a few things to think about with the ground, go easy with the bump if you are using Geocrafted terrain in place of the ground plane, it already has geometry so a strong bump on top of that can create that too busy look (also something I need to work on.) you also want the material of your ground surface to enhance the object that is the focus of your scene, I don't always succeed n this case myself... But they are Really good renders you have there, very well done.

@Dave, That looks great! very well done scene..

and now something from me...

blimp-cloud.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 441K
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@David, I like the Pencil Sketch video and the newest of your Twisty Cubey Thingy videos. I think I may have done something wrong when I tried it as mine did not turn out the same way.

@Horo, I modified one of my landscapes using the ideas from your addendum to David's Pencil Sketch video.

I am attaching some samples.

I have a simple landscape (based on one of David's other excellent videos) and a pencil sketch of it. Then I have my Twisty Cube Thingy pencil sketch. The final one is doing a pencil sketch of my Twisty Cube Thingy but trying for a colored pencil approach.

Hope you like them. Advise on modifying or enhancing is welcomed.

Lake3_pencil.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 666K
    Lake3.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 770K
    TwistyThing-coloredpencil.jpg
    700 x 700 - 527K
    TwistyThing-pencil.jpg
    700 x 700 - 346K
    edited December 1969

Rareth, looks good, the dirigible is a nice focus. Terrain shape is convincing. Light, cloud and materials complimentary.

Dangelad, well done! The shape may be different but who's to say it is wrong? It turned out interesting. I think probably the difference will be down to the rotations. It's quite easy to get a -90 instead of a 90 and that sends the loops off in different directions.

I'm glad you are finding the tutorials useful, it's time consuming to make them, so it is welcome do see the results.

edited December 1969

@Rareth - looks great.

@Dangerlad - nice application of the pencil sketch effect.

edited December 1969

@Dave: That is a very lovely image. And I too think the light rays add the kissing touch to that image. It would be great without them but it's stunning with them in the scene.

@David: Thank you for the kind words. Scale is a subject I constantly struggle with, due to not being able to visualize well. But as with all WIPs, time should improve things. Thanks for the videos, I just worked through your latest mobius one and will post an image later.

@Horo: Your kind words are welcomed. Busy seems to be a topic you've mentioned more than once. :lol: And it's another WIP amongst those on a long list.

@Rareth: Thank you for the compliments. Thank you also for the information. Many times I can readily see material with Bump isn't right for the Geocrafted terrain I've made, and do chose something else. Other times I think it looks good but after it sets awhile, such as on this site, I see how terrible it really looks. This is another of those topics on my long list of WIPs. Your landscape is really good, though I'm trying to resolve something. I'm trying to decide if the darker cloud over the peak of the mountain is an indication of a fire on the other side or if that mountain is about to erupt. Blimp really gives that mountain scale.

@Dangerlad: Pencil image looks really neat, as does the colored image. Love the material you've used for the ground in the colored image. The regular landscape looks great and the pencil version reminds me of pictures from the Arctic.

After watching David's latest Wings 3D mobius cube video, I saw a video creating a mobius ring using Wings 3D. There isn't any narration but the music used in the video is very pleasant. This video uses a new command, at least for me, which allows the use of a cube to create a ring. The Sweep command allows mirroring, angle movement, and axial rotation in more movement. Shift + mouse movement mirrors the cube; Shift + Left mouse button and mouse movement allows the angle to be created; Shift + Right mouse button and mouse movement allows axial rotation; left clicking finishes the action. Then it's just a matter of Shift D as many times needed to complete the circle, plus one. You then delete this last cube and end up with a twisted circle. There's much more that's done to achieve two interlocking mobius rings. Here is the YouTube Mobius Video link. Hope you enjoy giving it a try.

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Well it's way past bedtime here in London so I will post and run. I'll be back to read and see some images tomorrow.

I think this image is finished now, not a hundred percent sure but I'll leave it for a few days and decide when I look at it then.

"Herd On The Move".

On-The-Move-Stage-16.jpg
    1880 x 846 - 504K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Now I've sorted out the transparency on her hair, I've done a close up version of the fairy render... The deer must have gone off to have a sleep or something... I suppose I should do the same.

DeerVegALT3.jpg
    840 x 649 - 330K
    edited December 1969

@Fire Angel: That is a good looking image.

@Dave: Another stunning image. Really like the vivid colors.

Watched David's last mobius video and came up with the two below. I also created mobius rings following the video I found after watching David's video. I like using transparent material but found that using those materials on this object makes getting a good pose difficult. So I switch to automotive materials and it posed better. Oh, Rareth and Horo, I remembered this time about keeping the ground simple. ;-)

Mobius_Cube_Loops_4.png
    750 x 750 - 833K
    Mobius_Cube_Loops_3.png
    750 x 750 - 810K
    Mobius_Cube_Loops_2.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Double_Ribbon_Mobius_Cube_2.png
    750 x 750 - 932K
    Double_Ribbon_Mobius_Cube_1.png
    750 x 750 - 814K
This discussion has been closed.