Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - thanks for trying this out. The difference is not huge but the water has now a wet look. Most of the time, I use just a 2D face or the ground plane for water, terrains if sea or beach waves are needed, almost never volume slabs. Ideas differ what is best for water because water is rather difficult to get right - particularly to give it a wet look. For rivers and lakes, I mostly use this free resource: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3039

edited October 2013

Here's another sneak peek of David and my new product that should be available later this month.

This is Funky Shape 404 and this is a special render, in fact, two of them. There was not enough light in the tubes so I rendered with David's Obscure Glow method, making the golden part glowing. This TA render was good but bump and contrast was somehow lost. So I rendered this once more with conventional IBL and got the dark tubes but great bump. I saved both rendered images as 48-bit TIFF and multiplied them to an HDRI which I processed with the Color Correction SSE plugin and finally tone-mapped this HDRI with a dynamic range of nearly 2.5 million to 1 using the global Reinhart operator. I think I got the bump and the light in the tube and all with a pleasing contrast. Total time to render and process less than one hour.

GED.jpg
    800 x 800 - 126K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: The shapes and material really look great.

@DangerLad: That's a right smart scene. Love the sky.

@Horo: That object looks really neat, as does the ground and background. Nice job.

Haven't posted anything because RW projects have to be finished. Once they're done I'll probably get something hacked together. I've a few ideas.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Wow Horo, the model, background, lighting --the complete image is awesome.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969
    Metalsandmore1.jpg
    1145 x 634 - 315K
    Octane_example_render1.jpg
    512 x 512 - 75K
    Octane_eg1.jpg
    512 x 512 - 107K
    Bryce_eg1.jpg
    512 x 512 - 113K
    edited December 1969

@David - great renders. I like the first one best, but the others are also really great.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I agree, the first one is the best.

Been a while so I figured I should update everyone on how the Volcanic Archipelago project is maturing. Thanks for your time. Feedback is appreciated.

Legacy_7.jpg
    1260 x 840 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo and @mermaid010 - thank you. It was an experiment.

@Rashad - I'm glad to see that you're still working on your Volcanic Archipelago. It is a huge project and I thought you've abandoned it to concentrate on Carrara. This is a great render. Maybe there are some minor issues from the jpg compression: the foliage on the mountain in the background look a bit pixelated, like being a tad too bright and too sharp - though foliage can have very high specular if the sun shines in the right angle on them. So I'm really not sure whether I should have mentioned it at all.

edited October 2013

Another experiment with combining a TA (Obscure Glow) and IBL render. First the TA render that shows that AA-ing doesn't work properly on high contrast edges. No matter whether it is rendered with 16 or 256 rays per pixel. The TA render shows the light from the glowing objects on the floor but has no shadows. Rendered in less then 9 minutes.

The second render is the pure IBL render of the same scene, quality 64. This render has no high lights but nice soft IBL shadows (33%) on the floor. It rendered in 17 minutes.

Both images were exported as 48-bit TIFF. The third image is the result. The rendered images were calculated together by using the higher parts of each render to make the combined one. This HDRI was then tone-mapped down from 96-bit to 24-bit and slightly adjusted in contrast. There are the glows on the floor and the shadows. Unfortunately, the badly AA-ed high contrast edges are rather prominent.

EDIT to add: The cogwheel is a free resource by David, available here: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1844.

DclogTm.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 116K
    DclogIBL.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 117K
    DclogTA.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 160K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

David - great renders. Thanks for the new tutorials.

Rashad - a lovely render

Horo - nice experiments. I was looking for some info on the camera in Bryce and thought I will have a look at your site, and there I found a pdf - BryceCam. Thanks for making these goodies on your site available to us.

edited December 1969

Horo - nice experiments. I was looking for some info on the camera in Bryce and thought I will have a look at your site, and there I found a pdf - BryceCam. Thanks for making these goodies on your site available to us.

Thank you and you're welcome. To be perfectly honest, I put all these documents in there so I know where I have to look for them.
    edited October 2013

Horo - we or at least I know where to find some nice things too. I just downloaded two Wings 3D tutorials Thanks once again.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I watched David's new tutorials (most particularly the one with the extreme response metal) and decided to play a little at making some SUPER METALS. Here are a couple both were rendered using TA. One I am going to call Orichalcum and the other will be Electrum.

OctoLoop-SuperMetal2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 526K
    OctoLoop-SuperMetal.jpg
    700 x 700 - 579K
    edited December 1969

Nice results Dangerlad. I like both renders

edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - materials with over-driven values can give very cool results. Bot your renders look nice, I prefer the first one, though.

Another tone-mapped multi-render. This is shape 308 from the upcoming Funky product with materials that come with the shapes, all with over-driven values (310 blue, 502 red, 209 sig and 207 floor). The low-res HDRI that comes with the product was used. Two renders were made with Obscure Light, once with the HDRI not tone-mapped and once with. A third render was made with conventional IBL (bottom from left to right). All rendered images were exported as 48-bit TIFFs. I like the HDRI one best but it has some pitch black blotches which are ugly. The three exported renders were added together, the HDRI one twice and the resulting HDRI tone-mapped. That's the main image. This retains the blue from the IBL render, brightens the black parts and enhances the contrast.

DShape308.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 212K
    edited October 2013

Still playing catch-up with my to-do list. Bryce Made Easy - Glowing stars recipe for sunset - by David Brinnen

Thank you for the kind remarks on my last little selection of images and tuts.

Good results with the glowing effects Horo the spheres look almost like they are filled with a luminous liquid somehow. And interesting results in your last experiment.

Rashad, as amazing as ever, the complexity and the patience involved... I don't know how you do it.

Dangerlad - well done. The results look excellent and the renders are very well composed, lit and the ground material compliments your scene nicely. Good work. You will be tell us "how-to" soon!

Edit. And now something else Advanced - using custom brushes in the terrain lab - by David Brinnen

Start_point3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 244K
    Glowing_stars1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 197K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Thank you David for your fine tutorial. It inspired me to this lonely watch tower.

desertsky3.png
    1274 x 735 - 829K
    edited December 1969

Thank you David for your fine tutorial. It inspired me to this lonely watch tower.

Looking very good!

Here's something else in a slightly different vein. Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - rendering glass part one - by David Brinnen

Glass_start2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 146K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited October 2013

Busy doing more Peter the Polar Bear pics.

PeterIceberg.jpg
    450 x 650 - 120K
    PeterPaddling.jpg
    650 x 450 - 170K
    PeterIceberg2.jpg
    450 x 650 - 173K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Dave. The first one is quite dramatic. On the second, the feet are nicely visible through the water.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I do love seeing all your Peter the Polar Bear images. I bet all your friends get personalised Peter christmas cards :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Great renders Dave, like the contrast between the brooding dark skies and the white ice and bear. Very good and seasonal too now...

I'm just plodding along with some videos while I have the chance.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - convert a funky metal into a funky glass - by David Brinnen

Glass_start5.jpg
    700 x 700 - 268K
    edited December 1969
    Glass_start9.jpg
    700 x 700 - 220K
    edited December 1969

Looking great, David, particularly the red one.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

stupid material question #99999999+ I can't replace the material on this it comes out one color no matter what I try????? I don't understand why....Thanks Trish

David ;nice experiments
    Dave; Peter the polar bear is my favorite!!!

br3.jpg
    619 x 269 - 104K
    br2.jpg
    1296 x 236 - 46K
    br1.jpg
    1405 x 268 - 76K
    edited December 1969

stupid material question #99999999+ I can't replace the material on this it comes out one color no matter what I try????? I don't understand why....Thanks Trish

David ;nice experiments
    Dave; Peter the polar bear is my favorite!!!

No problem - you are using parametric mapping... so...

OK does your object have a UV map? This video might help here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtjoZ6S9OWE

If yes then have you set the scale correctly in the transformation tools? This video for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHLx336g70

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@bullit35744, do you mean that no matter what material you apply to the object it looks the same, or do you mean that the material applies but looks smooth brown instead of the rough brown you seen in the material lab preview? If the later, maybe the material's scale is so small it just all blends together into one smooth blur; click on the Transformation Tools button in the 'A' channel, then click on the center of the Scale Control widget and drag left to decrease all three numeric values together to be much smaller.

screenshot,_Bryce.png
    456 x 606 - 351K
    edited October 2013

Sean ;Sorry I mean only one color of the material I pick comes out...Like the stone one above turned it tan and not the rock color...I don't mean texture just colors...See it looks ok on a reg. square but when I put it on this...Bridge railing it comes out one color

David; Thanks for the video links

br1.jpg
    594 x 350 - 144K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Sean ;Sorry I mean only one color of the material I pick comes out...Like the stone one above turned it tan and not the rock color...I don't mean texture just colors

David; Thanks for the video links

No problem,

Yes if you follow the test in the first video of changing the top left hand pixel of the image to something different like magenta and then your entire object takes on that colour, it is a good bet the issue lies in your lack of UV mapping. So either change mode or provide a UV map as shown in the video.

edited October 2013

David thank you I will be watching...Trish.....Ok edited to add good video David ...World cubic fixed it thanks...Now I will know if this happens again

bridge9.jpg
    1729 x 279 - 364K
    br5.jpg
    660 x 411 - 122K
    Post edited by Trish on
This discussion has been closed.