[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162
    edited January 2019

Rebooting the computer did not help, but I clicked the Reset button on the magnet size/rotation dialog and then the sliders worked again!

[Sorry for the huge text. I wanted people to notice it, but gee, is there no way to make it bigger without making it huge?]

Post edited by barbult on

Also, it seems like it works fine to accept the magnet at whatever size and orientation it loads at and then rotate and scale it in the viewport with the tools, or in the Parameters pane with the sliders. At least the one time I've tried this, it worked fine. I'm not sure whether that troublesome dialiog box is even necessary.

• barbult said:

Rebooting the computer did not help, but I clicked the Reset button on the magnet size/rotation dialog and then the sliders worked again!

[Sorry for the huge text. I wanted people to notice it, but gee, is there no way to make it bigger without making it huge?]

Thank you very much for sharing.  That is important information to know.  Perhaps, I should change the dialog to not remember values.  I thought that was helpful but if it can put it into a state that is bad for the next use it obviously is not.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,229
    nowefg said:

Thanks for the heads up and link. It is kind of cool seeing how far that diamond gizmo will stretch  to reach back to zero, though...

Prior to dForce, I mostly use Keymate for animating. If I morph a figure or change a postion of anything somewhere down the timeline with that product, keyframes are created automatically. I don't have to add one. Keymate knows where zero is. I don't have to track that; the start position zero is automatically inserted. If I return to frame zero, the changes revert to zero all by themselves.

Not the case with dForce Magnets? Oh well. I don't see that I couldn't achieve simnilar results on my own, without the $17.47 crash factory.

Refund to PayPal time.

You can use the dForce Magnets with Keymate. I did that for my promos and it worked perfectly fine. smiley
    The problem with that zero keyframe thing is a problem of the Daz Studio timeline, it has nothing to do with the Magnets or any other content.

esha said:
    nowefg said:

Thanks for the heads up and link. It is kind of cool seeing how far that diamond gizmo will stretch  to reach back to zero, though...

Prior to dForce, I mostly use Keymate for animating. If I morph a figure or change a postion of anything somewhere down the timeline with that product, keyframes are created automatically. I don't have to add one. Keymate knows where zero is. I don't have to track that; the start position zero is automatically inserted. If I return to frame zero, the changes revert to zero all by themselves.

Not the case with dForce Magnets? Oh well. I don't see that I couldn't achieve simnilar results on my own, without the $17.47 crash factory.

Refund to PayPal time.

You can use the dForce Magnets with Keymate. I did that for my promos and it worked perfectly fine. smiley
    The problem with that zero keyframe thing is a problem of the Daz Studio timeline, it has nothing to do with the Magnets or any other content.

Yes, I've been using the magnets with Keymate, too,  My guess on the issue with frame 0 is that there isn't any "change" to record when something is first added to the scene. Anyway, as esha says, it is a problem for all animation in Daz Studio. I've always have to "fix" frame 0 for all dForce animated simulations, long before magnets came on the scene. 

Using magnets on a clothes on a morphed figure is still my burning question. Nobody has replied on that topic yet.

New tutorial: Setup of a dForce Magnet with a morphed dress

Same procedure works for an unmorphed dress, just skip the morph part.

Contents

Scene Setup                                       0:19
    Morphed Figure / Dress                        4:42
    Using a Helper Polygon (Marker)           8:04
    Following the Hand                              12:38
    Excluding Hand from Simulation            14:47
    Translating / Rotating the Figure            15:56
    Magnets on Posed Figures                   20:17

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Always your choice, but you have paid any attention to Riversoft Art's product threads, you would see that any issues get corrected and updated. Also, PA would be happy to explain that no products get released for the store without significant testing.

nowefg said:

Refund to PayPal time

• Would it be possible through the script API to create a keyframe on the magnet when it is created (maybe a checkbox to make the behavior optional)?

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    barbult said:

Thank you very much for sharing.  That is important information to know.  Perhaps, I should change the dialog to not remember values.  I thought that was helpful but if it can put it into a state that is bad for the next use it obviously is not.

Yes, please change it.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,903
    esha said:

New tutorial: Setup of a dForce Magnet with a morphed dress

Same procedure works for an unmorphed dress, just skip the morph part.

Contents

Scene Setup                                       0:19
    Morphed Figure / Dress                        4:42
    Using a Helper Polygon (Marker)           8:04
    Following the Hand                              12:38
    Excluding Hand from Simulation            14:47
    Translating / Rotating the Figure            15:56
    Magnets on Posed Figures                   20:17

I'm wrong or still there's no way to make the fingers grab the cloth and then release it?

Imago, there is a way. I'm working on a tutorial :)

Thank you for the tutorial about the morphed dress. I think it is exactly what I needed. I will try it later today. With all your tutorials, I feel like I certainly got my money's worth on this product!

• Would it be possible through the script API to create a keyframe on the magnet when it is created (maybe a checkbox to make the behavior optional)?

barbult said:

Yes, please change it.

Ok, I will change it and research how to create a keyframe at time 0 automatically.

edited January 2019

New question:

After simulation finished, why did the magnet not end up where I positioned it? In the screenshot you can see the universal tool symbol marking where I put the last position of the magnet. After simulation, it ended up some distance away. I tried simulating both with the hand visible in simulation and without it visible in simulation. The result was the same. How can I overcome this problem? 

Magnet ended up in wrong place.JPG
    1552 x 1940 - 718K
  • barbult said:

New question:

After simulation finished, why did the magnet not end up where I positioned it? In the screenshot you can see the universal tool symbol marking where I put the last position of the magnet. After simulation, it ended up some distance away. I tried simulating both with the hand visible in simulation and without it visible in simulation. The result was the same. How can I overcome this problem? 

I wish I knew.  Perhaps @esha will know.  My theory is that the simulation affects the magnet too.

edited January 2019
    barbult said:

New question:

I wish I knew.  Perhaps @esha will know.  My theory is that the simulation affects the magnet too.

Well. I took a stab at working around the problem. At the end of the simulation, I moved the magnet to where I wanted it. Then I simulated again and it ended up where I wanted it. I don't know if I was lucky in this instance, or if it is a trick to rely on. Maybe esha knows, as you say.

Here is my image:

G8F Magnet Necklace.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
  • barbult said:
    barbult said:

New question:

Well. I took a stab at working around the problem. At the end of the simulation, I moved the magnet to where I wanted it. Then I simulated again and it ended up where I wanted it. I don't know if I was lucky in this instance, or if it is a trick to rely on. Maybe esha knows, as you say.

Here is my image:

Oh that is fantastic!  I need you to make promos for me  smiley

edited January 2019

Thank you for the positive comments. It must be fun to see people use your products. I have one more for you. I was able to follow esha's latest tutorial and have Edie 8 pull out her skirt. Poor Edie sure is bony, with very long fingers!

Edie 8 Magnet Necklace_001.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 972K

Nice renders! yes

barbult said:

This has nothing to do with the visibility in simulation. Sometimes the magnet stretches a little and so the fabric ends up at a lower spot than intended. It's different for each item so I can't really say how much offset you need to expect. On the other hand, the stretching greatly improves the stability of the simulation; I tried making the magnet more rigid and got a lot of fabric "explosions" as a result so I decided to allow it to stretch a bit.
    For closeups like the one you showed of course you want precise placement of the fabric. You found the best solution, which is to either adjust the magnet or the hand pose.

esha said:
    Imago, there is a way. I'm working on a tutorial :)

Ok, thanks! smiley

I'll wait for it! wink

• barbult said:

Thank you for the positive comments. It must be fun to see people use your products. I have one more for you. I was able to follow esha's latest tutorial and have Edie 8 pull out her skirt. Poor Edie sure is bony, with very long fingers!

Nice @barbult!

• Ok, I have modified the script to:

• Reset sliders for every execution
    • Create keyframes at time 0 on creation of magnet

Anything else before I submit to Daz?

Another new tutorial:

Dropping the Fabric

Ok, I have modified the script to:

Show a version number on the script dialog,so when people have problems, they can easily answer the question "What version are you using?".
  • RainRain Posts: 335
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Here is my image:

Wow!  I’m getting more and more excited to play with this.  

spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Here is my image:

Wow!  I’m getting more and more excited to play with this.  

While you are still away from your computer, start watching esha's inspiring video tutorials.

esha said:

Another new tutorial:

Dropping the Fabric

Ah, basically it's the same trick I use for picked up objects! laugh
    I'll watch it again to memorize the sequence. Thanks for this tutorial!+

And, let me say you got a really cute voice and pronunciation! blushwink

Would it be possible through the script API to create a keyframe on the magnet when it is created (maybe a checkbox to make the behavior optional)?

barbult said:

Yes, please change it.

Ok, I will change it and research how to create a keyframe at time 0 automatically.

Thank you, I found that quite distracting and not helpful. It was a nice idea, but in practice I don't think it worked.

Ok, I have modified the script to:

Those were the things I saw in my limited usage so far.  I expect to make much more use of this in the future, just busy right now.