[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited February 2019

Bought on release day haven’t used yet, took advantage of the tutorial sale to get the tutorial on dForce so started watching that last night in :) then I’m gonna try this finally after the renders look great though so can’t wait to try it 

Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,818
    wsgentry said:

Thank you so much for responding and for doing all you do for us.

Scott

Edit:  The plane idea works to a degree, now to play with settings to make the hair slide down the angled plane and drape naturally.

Glad to help. Do show your results when finished

• eshaesha Posts: 3,230
     In the image below I'm trying to fake rings on a loin cloth.  If the rings are simply part of the clothing, they will completely deform.  And in a pose like this one, they would tend to flatten along portions of the figure that expand.  So instead, the rings are parented to rigid body nodes.  What's left for this to actually work is for the magnets to be able to be parented to either the nodes or the rings.  Is there any way to do that?  When I tried re-parenting the magnetic property appeared to be removed from the dforce mesh.

The Magnets need to be parented to the fabric, otherwise DS doesn't know what to do with them.
    In your example I'd rig the loincloth and make only the fabric parts dynamic, with a weigthmap that excludes the area that's tied to the rings so the fabric doesn't fall down. The magnets could then be used to lift the loincloth as needed.

Yeah.... this is the one big flaw here... a single vertex isn't always a good looking solution. When you hike up your skirts, or kilts for the fellas, you aren't pinching the cloth between your thumb and forefinger, you are grabbing a handful.  

You can use more than one magnet. Once you have set up one, the others are quick and easy. I think I need to make another tut smiley

every time I exported the simulated cloth to create the morph, I was told the object did not match. I haven't done a lot of import/export, but I have done my fair share.  Thought it was very odd that I was unable to get it to work.

If no other elements were visible (hide also the eyelashes/eyebrows and the magnet itself!) then it might be a resolution issue. If the clothing uses high resolution you need to set it back to base resolution first - you can find that option in the Parameters tab.
    And yes, if you made polys invisible you should switch them back on (good thought, @barbult ! yes). A single invisible poly shouldn't cause issues because the vertices are still there, but if you've used two polys next to each other the exported mesh will be missing some verts.

@RGcincy that's a cool idea, parenting a primitive to the magnet! laugh

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Edit:  The plane idea works to a degree, now to play with settings to make the hair slide down the angled plane and drape naturally.

It didn't work out quite as well as I initially thought.  The problem is getting the hair to slide down the tilted plane... it doesn't really happen. Still, it was a nice try. :) The hair drapes over the plane.  Gravity had no effect nor did friction settings in the hair. 

It's interesting that multiple vertex selections aren't possible, either.   Still, dForce magnets are a quantum leap and an essential item.

Scott

• RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

I'm wondering something:  Is it possible to select more than one vertices?  I'm asking because that ability would be great for use in dForce hair.   I tried last night but it didn't work.  I kept getting one block of strands. 

Scott

In my thread on dForce I talk about helper objects which are primitives like spheres and cylinders that can be used to help move a mesh while the mesh is being deformed by dForce. The helper object itself does not have any dForce modifiers. They act similar to the magnet but are not as precise (it's difficult for them to grab one vertex) but you can use them together by parenting the helper object to the magnet. I ran a test with hair, one time with a magnet alone, the second time with a torus parented to the magnet. 

Screenshots from end of animation:

Magnet's position                                                                         Magnet and Torus positions

Renders from end of animation:

Magnet alone                                                                               Magnet and Torus

The magnet will not render. The torus will unless you hide it after the animation is completed or set Visible in Render to Off (Parameters pane, Display section).

The result you get will depend upon the size and shape of the primitive, the number of faces it contains, and how it is positioned before and during the animation.

Very cool idea!

• dkgoose said:

Bought on release day haven’t used yet, took advantage of the tutorial sale to get the tutorial on dForce so started watching that last night in :) then I’m gonna try this finally after the renders look great though so can’t wait to try it 

Have fun!  Please share when you have something.

• wsgentry said:
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

It didn't work out quite as well as I initially thought.  The problem is getting the hair to slide down the tilted plane... it doesn't really happen. Still, it was a nice try. :) The hair drapes over the plane.  Gravity had no effect nor did friction settings in the hair. 

It's interesting that multiple vertex selections aren't possible, either.   Still, dForce magnets are a quantum leap and an essential item.

Scott

I wouldn't say that multiple vertex selections aren't possible.  More programmer error.  smiley  One of these days, I will attack it again.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,444

@Esha more than one magnet too close to others (to prevent the edges of cloth sticking to flesh in odd ways) led me to trouble quickly.  Clearly, multiple magnets is a good thing, but spacing can prove problematic it seems.

wsgentry said:
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Scott

I wouldn't say that multiple vertex selections aren't possible.  More programmer error.  smiley  One of these days, I will attack it again.

Well, right now. :)  Please tackle it soon, if at all possible.  The ability to move dForce hair pre-simulation from the initial position as if one were taking a hand to a chunk and wraping it around would make both your product and dForce hair more flexible and in the case of dForce hair, style-friendly. 

Thank you for your time!

Scott

• wsgentry said:
    wsgentry said:
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Scott

Well, right now. :)  Please tackle it soon, if at all possible.  The ability to move dForce hair pre-simulation from the initial position as if one were taking a hand to a chunk and wraping it around would make both your product and dForce hair more flexible and in the case of dForce hair, style-friendly. 

Thank you for your time!

Scott

I will try.

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited February 2019

Hi RA. I just got the chance to load the magnets up and im afraid that I havent had the time to keep up with the thread so im sorry if im repeating issues. The magnets seem to crash daz if you try to move them on a clothing item thats already been simulated. Also, is the magnet supposed to load on the vertex that ive selected? Its not. It seems to be loading in a default position. So what ive been doing is moving the magnet to the position I want on the final frame on the timeline. When I simulate, the magnet stretches to the selected vertex, but the clothing does not move to the magnet position the I chose. The magnet seems to hold that vertex in place as opposed to moving it. I must be doing something wrong.

Actually, I think I know what im doing wrong. Will update...

Yep, figured it out. laugh

One question though. Is it possible to group magnets so that you can move multiple magnets along the timeline? I guess ill try.

Nope. It seems the magnets no longer work when grouped.

Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • Hi RA. I just got the chance to load the magnets up and im afraid that I havent had the time to keep up with the thread so im sorry if im repeating issues. The magnets seem to crash daz if you try to move them on a clothing item thats already been simulated. Also, is the magnet supposed to load on the vertex that ive selected? Its not. It seems to be loading in a default position. So what ive been doing is moving the magnet to the position I want on the final frame on the timeline. When I simulate, the magnet stretches to the selected vertex, but the clothing does not move to the magnet position the I chose. The magnet seems to hold that vertex in place as opposed to moving it. I must be doing something wrong.

One question though. Is it possible to group magnets so that you can move multiple magnets along the timeline? I guess ill try.

I am glad you figured it out.  And no, unfortunately, it breaks the connection if they are grouped.

wsgentry said:
    wsgentry said:
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Scott

Thank you for your time!

Scott

I will try.

I apologize.  I didn't mean to make that sound like a demand.  I hope you understand.  I love this product.  It makes dForce so much more powerful!

Scott

• wsgentry said:
    wsgentry said:
    wsgentry said:
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Scott

Thank you for your time!

Scott

I will try.

I apologize.  I didn't mean to make that sound like a demand.  I hope you understand.  I love this product.  It makes dForce so much more powerful!

Scott

No need to apologize.  I didn't take it as a demand.  Just a strongly felt wish laugh 

Hopefully sometime this month (couple things I am working on now urgently), I will make an attempt again.  If that doesn't work relatively quickly, I will have to put it on the backburner again, to attempt in the future as a possible 2.0 version.

Tutorial no. 3: Manipulating multiple vertices - grabbing a handful of fabric

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

Thanks @esha for another great tutorial! I see your model is wearing the tassel jewelry. I purchased that recently and had a question about it. I sent you a PM a few days ago. I hope you will have a chance to answer it. 

Ooops, I never got any notification about a PM... off to check inbox blush

• Hi RA. I just got the chance to load the magnets up and im afraid that I havent had the time to keep up with the thread so im sorry if im repeating issues. The magnets seem to crash daz if you try to move them on a clothing item thats already been simulated. Also, is the magnet supposed to load on the vertex that ive selected? Its not. It seems to be loading in a default position. So what ive been doing is moving the magnet to the position I want on the final frame on the timeline. When I simulate, the magnet stretches to the selected vertex, but the clothing does not move to the magnet position the I chose. The magnet seems to hold that vertex in place as opposed to moving it. I must be doing something wrong.

I am glad you figured it out.  And no, unfortunately, it breaks the connection if they are grouped.

Does parenting work? Say, many magnets parented to one magnet?...for the purposes of moving many. Id check but im dorking out on RE2 today. laugh

brains.

• esha said:

Tutorial no. 3: Manipulating multiple vertices - grabbing a handful of fabric

That was a great tutorial @esha!

Does parenting work? Say, many magnets parented to one magnet?...for the purposes of moving many. Id check but im dorking out on RE2 today. laugh

brains.

No. I tried that too, but it doesn't work.

• The update for dForce Magnet is live in the store.  This makes the dialog NOT remember the last values and automatically adds a keyframe at time 0.

wsgentry said:
    wsgentry said:
    wsgentry said:
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

Scott

Thank you for your time!

Scott

I will try.

Scott

No need to apologize.  I didn't take it as a demand.  Just a strongly felt wish laugh 

Hopefully sometime this month (couple things I am working on now urgently), I will make an attempt again.  If that doesn't work relatively quickly, I will have to put it on the backburner again, to attempt in the future as a possible 2.0 version.

Thank you!  You're too gracious.  And if you don't get to it, or get it to work, it's okay. :) 

Scott

You only have to set up one Magnet, then you can copy its movement over to the others. See my tutorial number 3. Just as easy as parenting them wink

• esha said:

You only have to set up one Magnet, then you can copy its movement over to the others. See my tutorial number 3. Just as easy as parenting them wink

Cool! Thanks esha!

esha said:

Ooops, I never got any notification about a PM... off to check inbox blush

Thanks I got your reply and tried your suggestions. I replied with a photo of my success.

Ooops. I just tried the trick of resetting the magnet before dragging the slider, but Daz Studio still crashed. Any progress report on an update?

barbult said:

Ooops. I just tried the trick of resetting the magnet before dragging the slider, but Daz Studio still crashed. Any progress report on an update?

Daz Connect just showed me an update. I installed it, but the sliders still crash Daz Studio. The readme doesn't have any information about what changed.

• The update for dForce Magnet is live in the store.  This makes the dialog NOT remember the last values and automatically adds a keyframe at time 0.

This is what changed.  I am sad it doesn't make it better. sad

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Daz Connect just showed me an update. I installed it, but the sliders still crash Daz Studio. The readme doesn't have any information about what changed.

I'm getting this too.

• nicstt said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I'm getting this too.

Did you have the crashes before or is it new for you?