[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,159
    edited January 2019
    esha said:

Another new tutorial:

Dropping the Fabric

I'm eager to try this. Is it necessary to turn the visibility of the marker polygon back on before rendering? I don't think this was mentioned in the video. I don't know if making it invisible is just a viewport thing, or whether it affects the render, too. To be safe, I will turn it back on when I try it.

Post edited by barbult on
  • esha said:

Another new tutorial:

Dropping the Fabric

Oooooh.  Can't wait to watch!

• barbult said:

Ok, I have modified the script to:

• Reset sliders for every execution
    • Create keyframes at time 0 on creation of magnet

Anything else before I submit to Daz?

Show a version number on the script dialog,so when people have problems, they can easily answer the question "What version are you using?".

Hmmm, I will have to think about this.  If I forget to update the version number (which I tend to do frown), it is not very helpful.

• Ok, I have modified the script to:

• Reset sliders for every execution
    • Create keyframes at time 0 on creation of magnet

Anything else before I submit to Daz?

Those were the things I saw in my limited usage so far.  I expect to make much more use of this in the future, just busy right now.

Ok.  Thanks for the feedback.

• RainRain Posts: 335
    barbult said:
    spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Well. I took a stab at working around the problem. At the end of the simulation, I moved the magnet to where I wanted it. Then I simulated again and it ended up where I wanted it. I don't know if I was lucky in this instance, or if it is a trick to rely on. Maybe esha knows, as you say.

Here is my image:

Wow!  I’m getting more and more excited to play with this.  

While you are still away from your computer, start watching esha's inspiring video tutorials.

I bought the program and it’s sitting in my product library waiting to be downloaded as soon as I get home.  I did watch the tutorial, and will watch again. 

• spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Well. I took a stab at working around the problem. At the end of the simulation, I moved the magnet to where I wanted it. Then I simulated again and it ended up where I wanted it. I don't know if I was lucky in this instance, or if it is a trick to rely on. Maybe esha knows, as you say.

Here is my image:

While you are still away from your computer, start watching esha's inspiring video tutorials.

I bought the program and it’s sitting in my product library waiting to be downloaded as soon as I get home.  I did watch the tutorial, and will watch again. 

OOoooh you just love to torture yourself smiley  You need to watch all of her tutorials. laugh

spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Here is my image:

OOoooh you just love to torture yourself smiley  You need to watch all of her tutorials. laugh

I didn’t know there were three, I just watched the first one.  Now excuse me while I go and watch them......and get even more annoyed that I don’t have my computer.

• spuffy said:
    spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    spuffy said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Here is my image:

I didn’t know there were three, I just watched the first one.  Now excuse me while I go and watch them......and get even more annoyed that I don’t have my computer.

LOL.  I am glad I could help laugh

• This looks awesome. I hope it's still on sale tomorrow.   Good Work Esha and RiverSoftArt

edited February 2019

I made my animation following esha's cloth dropping tutorial. I feel like a dinosaur entering the digital age - I created a YouTube channel to upload my video animation to. I've never uploaded to YouTube before. Now I don't know how to attach it to this message, like esha did. Oh! I just pasted the share link and it worked. 

The 3 magnets pick up and move the "cloth". I positioned the clothes pins manually later.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

A I made my animation following esha's cloth dropping tutorial. I feel like a dinosaur entering the digital age - I created a YouTube channel to upload my video animation to. I've never uploaded to YouTube before. Now I don't know how to attach it to this message, like esha did. Oh! I just pasted the share link and it worked. 

The 3 magnets pick up and move the "cloth". I positioned the clothes pins manually later.

I am suitably impressed!  That was great, barbult!

• Td3dTd3d Posts: 412

Awesome product! The included Video Link script was helpful too. Watched it once and the rest was "Lock 'n' Load" simple. Took no time to set this simple test up. Have to be one of my most valued purchases to date.

Great job RiverSoftArt & esha.

MagnetTest_Frame00.png
    256 x 256 - 49K
    MagnetTest_Frame15.png
    256 x 256 - 51K
    MagnetTest_Frame30.png
    256 x 256 - 52K
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,227
    barbult said:

Is it necessary to turn the visibility of the marker polygon back on before rendering? I don't think this was mentioned in the video.

Yes, you need to turn it on again. One invisible poly does not affect the draping but you will see the hole in the render. I mentioned it in the main user guide but I might have forgotten to add it to the dress tutorial - sorry! blush

Great video, barbult! I love the idea with the clothes pins yes

Td3d said:

Awesome product! The included Video Link script was helpful too. Watched it once and the rest was "Lock 'n' Load" simple. Took no time to set this simple test up. Have to be one of my most valued purchases to date.

Great job RiverSoftArt & esha.

Thank you! Have fun playing with it!

• eshaesha Posts: 3,227
    Imago said:
    esha said:

Another new tutorial:

Dropping the Fabric

Ah, basically it's the same trick I use for picked up objects! laugh
    I'll watch it again to memorize the sequence. Thanks for this tutorial!+

And, let me say you got a really cute voice and pronunciation! blushwink

Thank you *blushes*

Glad you found the tut useful!

• barbult said:

I made my animation following esha's cloth dropping tutorial. I feel like a dinosaur entering the digital age - I created a YouTube channel to upload my video animation to. I've never uploaded to YouTube before. Now I don't know how to attach it to this message, like esha did. Oh! I just pasted the share link and it worked. 

That is great!  

• This looks awesome. I hope it's still on sale tomorrow.   Good Work Esha and RiverSoftArt

Thank you!

• esha said:
    Imago said:
    esha said:

Another new tutorial:

Dropping the Fabric

Ah, basically it's the same trick I use for picked up objects! laugh
    I'll watch it again to memorize the sequence. Thanks for this tutorial!+

And, let me say you got a really cute voice and pronunciation! blushwink

Thank you *blushes*

Glad you found the tut useful!

Yes, another great tutorial!  Makes my support job much easier!  smiley

• Rigid Body Dynamics? ... Kinda sort of

Some clothing items shouldn't deform as cloth.  "Metal" items in particular.  In the image below I'm trying to fake rings on a loin cloth.  If the rings are simply part of the clothing, they will completely deform.  And in a pose like this one, they would tend to flatten along portions of the figure that expand.  So instead, the rings are parented to rigid body nodes.  What's left for this to actually work is for the magnets to be able to be parented to either the nodes or the rings.  Is there any way to do that?  When I tried re-parenting the magnetic property appeared to be removed from the dforce mesh.

MagSample.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 214K
  • wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

I'm wondering something:  Is it possible to select more than one vertices?  I'm asking because that ability would be great for use in dForce hair.   I tried last night but it didn't work.  I kept getting one block of strands. 

Scott

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    wsgentry said:

I'm wondering something:  Is it possible to select more than one vertices?  I'm asking because that ability would be great for use in dForce hair.   I tried last night but it didn't work.  I kept getting one block of strands. 

Scott

Yeah.... this is the one big flaw here... a single vertex isn't always a good looking solution. When you hike up your skirts, or kilts for the fellas, you aren't pinching the cloth between your thumb and forefinger, you are grabbing a handful.  

I tried to do something similar to the "drop the cloth" tutorial, but every time I exported the simulated cloth to create the morph, I was told the object did not match. I haven't done a lot of import/export, but I have done my fair share.  Thought it was very odd that I was unable to get it to work.

I tried to do something similar to the "drop the cloth" tutorial, but every time I exported the simulated cloth to create the morph, I was told the object did not match. I haven't done a lot of import/export, but I have done my fair share.  Thought it was very odd that I was unable to get it to work.

Did you have any items parented to the cloth (maybe a rigid follow node item) when you exported? I wonder what would happen if it was exported with a "marker" polygon hidden. Does that cause an issue?

barbult said:

Did you have any items parented to the cloth (maybe a rigid follow node item) when you exported? I wonder what would happen if it was exported with a "marker" polygon hidden. Does that cause an issue?

Nothing parented to the cloth.  At one point I removed aboslutely everything from the scene and only had the simulated cloth.  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I agree. After having tried it, it would be more useful if the vertices chosen could be a number grouped together.

wsgentry said:

Scott

nicstt said:

I agree. After having tried it, it would be more useful if the vertices chosen could be a number grouped together.

wsgentry said:

Scott

The reason I'm asking about this stuff is I'm actually trying to do some different things with the hair from the initial position of the hair.  For example, using preset one for initial positiion for Bang Bob hair, it would be extremely useful to alter one entire side so the hair falls behind the shoulder of a figure without having to move the head, thus affecting final position of hair on the opposite side. 

I've tried making the selection point up to 10 but still get one set of strands.   I mean, I love the product for fabrics--there's nothing like it and it's extremely useful--It'd be cool if there was a way reposition the hair much like the first tutorial with the cloth.

Scott

• Rigid Body Dynamics? ... Kinda sort of

Some clothing items shouldn't deform as cloth.  "Metal" items in particular.  In the image below I'm trying to fake rings on a loin cloth.  If the rings are simply part of the clothing, they will completely deform.  And in a pose like this one, they would tend to flatten along portions of the figure that expand.  So instead, the rings are parented to rigid body nodes.  What's left for this to actually work is for the magnets to be able to be parented to either the nodes or the rings.  Is there any way to do that?  When I tried re-parenting the magnetic property appeared to be removed from the dforce mesh.

No, sorry it can't be reparented.  I will pass on your question to see if Esha has any ideas.

• nicstt said:

wsgentry said:

Scott

I tried to make the scripts do that and Bad Things Happened(TM)  smiley  So I walked it back and left it using one vertex.  Maybe someday.

• wsgentry said:
    nicstt said:

wsgentry said:

Scott

The reason I'm asking about this stuff is I'm actually trying to do some different things with the hair from the initial position of the hair.  For example, using preset one for initial positiion for Bang Bob hair, it would be extremely useful to alter one entire side so the hair falls behind the shoulder of a figure without having to move the head, thus affecting final position of hair on the opposite side. 

I've tried making the selection point up to 10 but still get one set of strands.   I mean, I love the product for fabrics--there's nothing like it and it's extremely useful--It'd be cool if there was a way reposition the hair much like the first tutorial with the cloth.

Scott

Hmmm.  Maybe Esha has ideas.  I will pass it on.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited February 2019
    wsgentry said:

Scott

In my thread on dForce I talk about helper objects which are primitives like spheres and cylinders that can be used to help move a mesh while the mesh is being deformed by dForce. The helper object itself does not have any dForce modifiers. They act similar to the magnet but are not as precise (it's difficult for them to grab one vertex) but you can use them together by parenting the helper object to the magnet. I ran a test with hair, one time with a magnet alone, the second time with a torus parented to the magnet. 

Screenshots from end of animation:

Magnet's position                                                                         Magnet and Torus positions

Renders from end of animation:

Magnet alone                                                                               Magnet and Torus

The magnet will not render. The torus will unless you hide it after the animation is completed or set Visible in Render to Off (Parameters pane, Display section).

The result you get will depend upon the size and shape of the primitive, the number of faces it contains, and how it is positioned before and during the animation.

dForce hair magnet showing.jpg
    679 x 499 - 81K
    dForce hair magnet torus showing.jpg
    679 x 499 - 74K
    dForce hair magnet.jpg
    480 x 480 - 130K
    dForce hair torus magnet.jpg
    480 x 480 - 127K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited February 2019
    RGcincy said:
    wsgentry said:

Scott

In my thread on dForce I talk about helper objects which are primitives like spheres and cylinders that can be used to help move a mesh while the mesh is being deformed by dForce. The helper object itself does not have any dForce modifiers. They act similar to the magnet but are not as precise (it's difficult for them to grab one vertex) but you can use them together by parenting the helper object to the magnet. I ran a test with hair, one time with a magnet alone, the second time with a torus parented to the magnet. 

Screenshots from end of animation:

Magnet's position                                                                         Magnet and Torus positions

Renders from end of animation:

Magnet alone                                                                               Magnet and Torus

The magnet will not render. The torus will unless you hide it after the animation is completed or set Visible in Render to Off (Parameters pane, Display section).

The result you get will depend upon the size and shape of the primitive, the number of faces it contains, and how it is positioned before and during the animation.

I see exactly what you're doing, sir.  I have your video and believe it or not, before I had a second surgery last year, I printed your entire guide.  As far as I'm concerned, it's the bible for creative use of dForce and primitives.   What I'm wondering, and I'll try it when I have more time, is creating a plane and positioning it so the hair slides down the plane and behind the shoulder during simulation.   This whole thing with hair might be well beyond the scope of magnets, but I thought I'd ask the question because if I didn't I'd never know the answer. 

Thank you so much for responding and for doing all you do for us.

Scott

Edit:  The plane idea works to a degree, now to play with settings to make the hair slide down the angled plane and drape naturally.

Post edited by wsgentry on