[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    edited February 2019

I tried esha's new tutorial with multiple magnets. I haven't mastered it yet I had trouble cutting and pasting the key frames. I need to go back and review the tutorial on morphed figures, too. But anyway, I managed to create the goofy image using three magnets on the shirttail area,

Hey, you big oaf, you are hurting my friends!

MAXX multiuple magnets on shirt hem_006 flowerling.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

I tried esha's new tutorial with multiple magnets. I haven't mastered it yet I had trouble cutting and pasting the key frames. I need to go back and review the tutorial on morphed figures, too. But anyway, I managed to create the goofy image using three magnets on the shirttail area,

LOL laugh

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2019

No, happened before the update, as well as since.

Like barbult, no info in the logs; Studio just closes, not even the option to send back crash info to Daz.

It is to do with changing size orientation of the 'gizmo'; it seems to only happen/ or happen much, much more likely once a second has been added to the scene (same dforce item).

Edit:

Happens in release and beta versions.

Post edited by nicstt on
    barbult said:

I have found with morphs; it can work with leaving the morphing until after the simulation - depends on how extreme and the camera angle. It is quicker leaving it on the default shape.

• nicstt said:

No, happened before the update, as well as since.

Like barbult, no info in the logs; Studio just closes, not even the option to send back crash info to Daz.

It is to do with changing size orientation of the 'gizmo'; it seems to only happen/ or happen much, much more likely once a second has been added to the scene (same dforce item).

Edit:

Happens in release and beta versions.

Thank you for the information.  I wish I could reproduce this so I could fix it. sad 

1. It crashes with the Size slider only for you?
    2. Is it when you reduce or increase the size?
    3. Does it happen with relatively empty scenes or complex scenes?
    4. Does it happen with a certain type of dForce object?

@nicstt, did you install the dForce Magnet with Daz Connect, like I did?

After the new version failed again, I uninstalled it from Daz Connect and installed with DIM. Since then (about an hour ago), it has been working fine. No crashing yet when moving the sliders or using the +- controls. 

edited February 2019

Now that I have installed with DIM, I can access the User Guide PDF from the Content Library. But, I cannot open the User Guide Video from the Content Library. I get these error messages in the log file:

2019-02-10 14:59:42.266 WARNING: Script Error: Line 2
    2019-02-10 14:59:42.266 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'MainWindow.getPaneMgr().findPane("DzContentLibraryPane").getSelectedContainer().getFullPath' [undefined] is not a function.
    2019-02-10 14:59:42.266 WARNING: Stack Trace:
    <anonymous>()@N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/riversoft art/dforce magnet/dfm user guide video.dsa:2
    2019-02-10 14:59:42.267 Error in script execution: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/riversoft art/dforce magnet/dfm user guide video.dsa

This error occurs in both DS 4.10.0.123 and 4.11.0.236.

Edited to Add: What is the purpose of that failing statement on line 2? The script simply launches a YouTube video. I just commented out the failing line that tries to get a Content Library path, and the script works fine to launch the YouTube video.

• barbult said:

After the new version failed again, I uninstalled it from Daz Connect and installed with DIM. Since then (about an hour ago), it has been working fine. No crashing yet when moving the sliders or using the +- controls. 

Oh nice.  Thank you.  That is good to know.  The User Guide video link was a copy and paste error.

barbult said:

Oh nice.  Thank you.  That is good to know.  The User Guide video link was a copy and paste error.

If nicstt confirms Daz Connect installation, I suggest you ask Daz to remove the Daz Connect installation option for this product. Thanks for the answer about the video guide link. I will just leave that line commented out.

edited February 2019
    barbult said:

No I avoid Connect - hate it.

Edit:

I'll get back to You RiverSoftArt re your questions.

Happens when the size slider is not touched. It was still as previously.

Fairly simple and very simple scenes.

Various objects.

It happened just now when adding a third magnet. I had been able to position the first two.

I noticed I pressed Ctrl Z to undo, which didn't work (it was basically muscle memory). It crashed after that, although can't be sure I was doing anything else or if it just took a few seconds to crash.

Post edited by nicstt on
    Hmmm. It is still a mystery then. I hope it keeps working with my current installation.

I added a plane; subdivided it to 100 divisions, and added two magnets one at each corner to hold it in place. Pretty much like in Esha's videos.

Adding a third at the bottom and then moving the rotation sliders caused the crash; no Ctrl Z or any other actions other than moving the sliders for rotation.

Scale was still as previously, size 4.

Second Test.

A plane, with no subdivisions; magnet placed at one corner.

A second placed at another; moved the rotation; seemed ok. A small amoung of lag, as though itteration through loops. Moved the slider the other direction, crashed in seconds - or within a second maybe.

Third Test

Same as above, except moved the rotation on the first magnet; it definitely seems as though the crashing relates in some way to moving the slider in the opposition direction, and perhaps larger amoungs are needed.

• nicstt said:

I added a plane; subdivided it to 100 divisions, and added two magnets one at each corner to hold it in place. Pretty much like in Esha's videos.

Adding a third at the bottom and then moving the rotation sliders caused the crash; no Ctrl Z or any other actions other than moving the sliders for rotation.

Second Test.

A second placed at another; moved the rotation; seemed ok. A small amoung of lag, as though itteration through loops. Moved the slider the other direction, crashed in seconds - or within a second maybe.

Third Test

Same as above, except moved the rotation on the first magnet; it definitely seems as though the crashing relates in some way to moving the slider in the opposition direction, and perhaps larger amoungs are needed.

Hmmm.  Can you send me a PM with your email address?  I want to send you a version with a TON of debug messages and see if we can isolate what is causing the crash.

nicstt said:

Second Test.

Third Test

Hmmm.  Can you send me a PM with your email address?  I want to send you a version with a TON of debug messages and see if we can isolate what is causing the crash.

Incoming.

edited February 2019

I just tried adding a magnet. It let me slide the sliders, but when I clicked accept, Daz Studio crashed to the desktop - no error message and no crash log.

Edit: And now I restarted Daz Studio and the magnet interface crashed to the desktop while moving a slider, just like it used to when I had it installed with Daz Connect. It seems like creating magnets works when the product is first installed, but then the more it is used, the more it crashes.

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376
    edited February 2019
    barbult said:

I just tried adding a magnet. It let me slide the sliders, but when I clicked accept, Daz Studio crashed to the desktop - no error message and no crash log.

Edit: And now I restarted Daz Studio and the magnet interface crashed to the desktop while moving a slider, just like it used to when I had it installed with Daz Connect. It seems like creating magnets works when the product is first installed, but then the more it is used, the more it crashes.

That makes no sense.  I have sent a debug version to @nicstt.  I have sent the same files to your email address.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    barbult said:

That makes no sense.  I have sent a debug version to @nicstt.  I have sent the same files to your email address.

Maybe it makes no sense, but it describes what I have experienced. When I first installed it with Daz Connect, it worked fine. Then a day or two later it kept crashing. Suspecting that Daz Connect was at fault, I uninstalled it from Daz Connect and installed with DIM. Again, after just installing, it worked perfectly. Now a couple days later it crashes again. It is just anecdotal evidence; proof of nothing. I thought any clue could be helpful. Maybe some file was getting written to continuously and growing too big over time or something. 

I got your email, and I will try the test version.

The debug version from the email already crashed. I emailed you a log file. I hope it helps.

Is it possible that the debug statements (even in the DIM version) could be causing a problem? Maybe Daz Studio can't keep up with logging all the magnet slider movements from the script.

• So I dont know if this is the same crash or not but I thought id add. My crash was pre-update (havent updated yet). I noticed that when the crash occured, I had already simulated the clothing item and I was not simulating on the timeline, but the default setting. I was trying to move the magnet which, im assuming, had placed itself not on the vertex's's's blush actual position but on the position the vertex would be had the item not been simulated.

Maybe that helps?

• I purchased dForce Magnet a few days ago and i did a manual install. Although I've read the instructions several times and watched the videos but i could not get it to work like the video. A plane with 100 divisions with one magnet, pressing the simulation button does not move the magnet as in the video, the unversal gismo moves but the magnet stays put. I don't think its me so it could be installed incorrectly. David
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,230

Hi David, sorry you're having problems.  I don't think this is an installation issue, though.
    Let's try some troubleshooting (sorry if some of the questions sound dumb):

Did you set keyframes for the magnet's movement? Also for the very first frame?
    Does the magnet move when you drag the slider across the timeline?
    Did you set the correct simulation settings (timeline, not current frame)?
    Did you parent or re-parent anything in your scene?
    Since you're using a plane and not a ready-made dForce item, did you set up a dForce modifier for it?

esha said:

Hi David, sorry you're having problems.  I don't think this is an installation issue, though.
    Let's try some troubleshooting (sorry if some of the questions sound dumb):

Did you set keyframes for the magnet's movement? Also for the very first frame?
    Does the magnet move when you drag the slider across the timeline?
    Did you set the correct simulation settings (timeline, not current frame)?
    Did you parent or re-parent anything in your scene?
    Since you're using a plane and not a ready-made dForce item, did you set up a dForce modifier for it?

Those are good troubleshooting questions we should all keep in mind when things don't seem to work right. I think I've made almost all of those mistakes at some point.

I also want to mention, for anyone following the crash discussion: I can still create and use magnets just fine. I just can't adjust the position of the magnet in the dialog. So, I am still happy with this product and am having a lot of fun with it. 

• Esha, thanks for responding. I set the keyframe for the first frame and the rest are automatic i believe. The magnet does move when i drag the slider across the timeline. When i press the simulate button the magnet keeps attached to the plane as the plane drops, The universal tool moves to the correct positions through the simulation but there is no magnet movement at all. Its as if the magnet gets ditached from the universal tool some how. I must have tried this a dozen times now and each time its the same. Simulation settings are set to (timeline). The magnet is parented to the plane(which i don't touch). I set a dForce modifier for the plane. BTW hope you don't mind me saying,you have a nice voice. David
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,230

Thanks! smiley

the magnet keeps attached to the plane as the plane drops, The universal tool moves to the correct positions through the simulation but there is no magnet movement at all.

You know, the same thing happened to me once during testing phase. I used a restore or zero command on the magnet to get it back to default position and that removed the magnet functionality. Could you perhaps have done the same?

Please try and create a new magnet, does the new one work?

Esha, thanks for responding. I set the keyframe for the first frame and the rest are automatic i believe. The magnet does move when i drag the slider across the timeline. When i press the simulate button the magnet keeps attached to the plane as the plane drops, The universal tool moves to the correct positions through the simulation but there is no magnet movement at all. Its as if the magnet gets ditached from the universal tool some how. I must have tried this a dozen times now and each time its the same. Simulation settings are set to (timeline). The magnet is parented to the plane(which i don't touch). I set a dForce modifier for the plane. BTW hope you don't mind me saying,you have a nice voice. David

David, I created a primitive plane with one magnet in the attahced scene file. It is simulating OK for me. (it is just a trivial animation with two keyframes and 30 total frames.) Try downloading this scene and see if my scene works for you.

duf
    duf
    Primitive Plane One Magnet.duf
    edited February 2019
    barbult said:

I also want to mention, for anyone following the crash discussion: I can still create and use magnets just fine. I just can't adjust the position of the magnet in the dialog. So, I am still happy with this product and am having a lot of fun with it. 

Likewise.

It hasn't put me off the product; it's great. Bug-stomping is not my day job; as a coder, my day-job is creating bug-ridden code. Hope my boss doesn't see this post. cheeky

Post edited by nicstt on
    nicstt said:
    barbult said:

Likewise.

It hasn't put me off the product; it's great. Bug-stomping is not my day job; as a coder, my day-job is creating bug-ridden code. Hope my boss doesn't see this post. cheeky

laughlaughwinklaugh

• Thanks Barbult for the file. The same thing happens. The magnet does not move but it should move up as the universal tool does. There is something different about my instalation. I'm wondering if the download from the DAZ store got corrupted. Could it get corrupted because i downloaded it with my phone? I also installed it manually which i've been doing for years with DAZ Studio content. Where should these files be located?. But I'm sure there in the right location. Anyhow i appreciate your help David
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Barbult for the file. The same thing happens. The magnet does not move but it should move up as the universal tool does. There is something different about my instalation. I'm wondering if the download from the DAZ store got corrupted. Could it get corrupted because i downloaded it with my phone? I also installed it manually which i've been doing for years with DAZ Studio content. Where should these files be located?. But I'm sure there in the right location. Anyhow i appreciate your help David

The readme file list showsall the files in the product and where they go.

What version of Daz Studio are you using?