Auto Face Enhancer [Commercial]

Comments

• Cute3DCute3D Posts: 62

I like this

• DMaster said:

an option to turn off AFE on all characters would be a nice thing to have as I work with someone else and AFE expressions get turned on by default in the saved .duf files Maybe a Menu in the Tools Menu. So the expressions get over-exaggerated when they load as he does not use AFE yet.     

Thank you. Here is the on-off button.

Place them where you need them.

Where is "Where you need them"?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099
    edited October 2020

When I call up Power Pose, and the entire G8 male figure is selected in the Scene Tab, and I select Head in Power Pose, I see two options. One is the template for Head, and the other for Face. Can I use the Face template to pose and create expressions? It seems to have many more options. If I do so, and then I zero the figure pose, will the template changes also go back to the default? I'm a bit concerned about distorting the Figure. I see under Shapes for the Auto Face Enhancer, a button titled Power Pose Reset. Will this reset the Power Pose, including both the Head, if an expression was created there, and the Face, if an expression was created there? (I see that I have the same template options -- Head or Face -- if I select the figure's Head in the Scene Tab.)  I've included some screen shots in order to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Head.png
    690 x 751 - 113K
    Face.png
    680 x 750 - 121K
    Power Pose Reset.png
    471 x 322 - 128K
    Post edited by inquire on
  • Anthony_ChristianAnthony_Christian Posts: 43
    edited December 2020

Hi All - I was wondering if any of you have tried using gauged ears for gen 8 male with AFE? I'm getting a sort of double ear effect when I use the attchment. Any ideas why this would happen or perhaps a fix for it? Thanks in advance. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 1.38.59 PM.png
    408 x 527 - 310K
    Post edited by Anthony_Christian on

Sometimes, too many morphs will produce strange results. 

• Anthony_ChristianAnthony_Christian Posts: 43
    edited December 2020

It's weird, The gauges are an attachment that fits over the lobe. So im assuming it has something to do with the way they are shaped? 

Post edited by Anthony_Christian on
  • The problem is that both of them are geografts, and they can't work with each other unless specifically designed to do so. Sorry, you will have to choose.

• That's what I thought - Thanks Uthgard. This product insanely cool and I'm enjoying messing with it so far.  Especially with ASE added for my rougher fantasy and weary looking characters, it really does make them look far more realistic. Now that it's been out for a while, perhaps a more comprehensive pdf with the product with things like working with geoshells etc. would be extremely helpful for newer users like myself. I'm far more likely to pick something up if I know there are good instructions to go with. The thumbnail instructions with most products drive me a little nuts. Videos are also a nice touch if one has time. Otherwise this forum is helpful but it can be extremely time consuming to try and google through the forums when you encounter a "quirk". This product rocks so far though. 

• Just installed "Auto Face Enhancer HD with PowerPose for G8M" and got a problem with the eyes.  Whenever I use the Eyes Up-Down control either in PowerPose or in the Parameters tab, the figure's right upper eyelid doesn't move, so he looks like he's having a serious stroke.  This occurs with all figures, including the screenshotted G8M base figure.

afeg8meye1.jpg
    269 x 322 - 20K
    afeg8meye2.jpg
    287 x 353 - 22K
  • madparrot said:

Just installed "Auto Face Enhancer HD with PowerPose for G8M" and got a problem with the eyes.  Whenever I use the Eyes Up-Down control either in PowerPose or in the Parameters tab, the figure's right upper eyelid doesn't move, so he looks like he's having a serious stroke.  This occurs with all figures, including the screenshotted G8M base figure.

I had the same issue, but with the eye brows. Never could figure it out. 

Me, too. Have to be careful with the character expressions. Sometimes, I'll render with the eyes messed up. Then, patch it up in AffinityPhoto (like Photoshop). Or, sometimes I'll use the Controls for Auto Face Enhancer, but not have the AFE shell on the character. I think it produces some effect that way, but not, of course, as much.

• Thought I'd update with a new discovery regarding the asymetrical brow posing issue I'm having. I recently decided to reorganize my library as I have too much stuff and it was seriously bogging down my system. When I started I figured I'd test out AFE with nothing else installed. So I installed Genesis 8 Female Starter Esentials and then Auto Face Enhancer. That's it, just those two items. And yet I'm still having the issue. Attached are two screenshots showing an example of the issue and all properties currently used on the figure. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm simply doing something fundamentaly wrong when applying AFE, though I can't imagine what it could be. Is there a requirement for AFE that I'm missing?  

brow example.JPG
    965 x 1303 - 73K
    Currently Used Properties.JPG
    675 x 965 - 89K
  • davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited February 2021

Mart1n71 said:

I have Zbrush, but I'm just a beginner. Is there a tutorial you could recommend to show how to do this? Or would you be able to do a quick tutorial?

+1 on quick tutorial. Just record your screen while doing those adjustments add some basic commentary and upload to youtube. That of course would be super helpful.

Here's a quick video then. https://youtu.be/5Dm0cc0FtDA   I have no mic so no commentary unfortunately. Sorry.

So step 1, Load your G8 Character, delete any attchmets, hair/eyelashes/brows/anatomical elements etc. Add any morphs you want included. I use D.Masters Auto Shape Enhancer and Zevos Skin Crease Controller so have included both. (this would also be a good time to set a material preset if you havn't already) Set mesh resolution base resolution and open the figures mouth to 50% (following D.Masters recommendation below) and export as on OBJ using Daz default settings.

Step 2, Add AFE attachment so it follows the shape of your charcter. Loads of mesh artifacts as the higher res AFE is following the base resolution of G8. Turn off the visiblity of G8, set the resolution of AFE to 0 and export as OBJ, again using Daz default settings. (DO NOT CLOSE HER MOUTH)

Step 3, In Zbrush import the G8 obj you saved first. Open the 'Geometry tab in the tools menu and click 'Divide' 2 times to get SubD level 3. Open the subdivision tool tab and click copy.

Step 4, import the AFE OBJ.

Step 5, In the subtool tab click paste. The G8 mesh should be visible in the layer below the AFE mesh.

Step 6, Scroll down the Subtool tab and open the 'Project' tool. I used the settings in the video, not sure if they are the best, but the worked ok enough for me, Click 'ProjectAll'

Step 7, In the subtool tab, turn off the visibility of the G8 subtool and inspect the resulting AFE Mesh. If you encounter any issues with the ears or eye sockets defroming, CTRL-Z and adjust the Project settings by making SMALL adjustments to the Distance/Mean/PABlur sliders until you are happy.

Step 8, Export AFE mesh as OBJ.

Step 9, Back in DAZ, select AFE, Edit>Figure>Morph Loader Pro. Select the AFE mesh you've just exportd from ZBrush. In the advanced options set Reverse Deformations to 'Yes' and Accept.

Step 10, In the properties tab, select Morphs and dial the morph in to see how it works.

Step 11, (optional) Click the properties gear icon and open the Parameter Settings tab. Set the minimum limit to zero, change the morph location. I used Actor>People.

Step 12, File>Save as>Support Assets>Morph Assets. Expand the selction tree until you find your new morph, and tick the check box to save the morph to AFE so you can dial it in manually whenever needed.

Step 13, Add meterials and enjoy.

DMaster said:

Thank you, Mart. That's about how I do it. Update to above.

1.export AFE + G8 out at base level. Do have the mouth open and eye closed at 50 percent. (Hold this pose in Daz3d, save it, because you will need to bring AFE back at this same pose)

2. In ZBrush add sub_d to G8 div by 2 to 3 times.

3. Import AFE and add the projection on the AFE. Doing it this way helps the inner mouth from messing up and move away from the base shape.

Note: see image for import and export object out. remember to hide G8 or AFE mesh on export. else you have 2 objects. Not a good idea to separate them in the 3D App.

You can also smooth it out using blender's shrinkwrap. it basically does the same thing as zbrush's projection.

steps:

1. load g8. close eyes 50% and open mouth 50%. turn off AFE powerpose. export to an obj on base resolution

2. wear AFE attachment, export that only (by hiding everything else) on base resolution

3. in blender, import both with keep vertex order checked

4. apply subdivision surface modifier level 3 on g8 obj, then apply shrinkwrap modifier to AFE obj with default settings and target set to g8 obj

5. export AFE obj with apply modifiers and keep vertex orders checked

6. in DAZ, select AFE attachment and import AFE obj from advanced morph loader with reverse deformations checked. the morph will appear in the AFE attachment as the filename

before:

after:

yescool all fixed

thanks again dmaster this is still my favorite product in the whole store

Post edited by davidtriune on

Really can't get the AFE attachment to work with Michael 8.1. I can get the face and head textures to paste in, but on the neck it just doesn't work and leave that ghostly white. I can't figure out what to use to paste in. Is anyone using AFE with G 8.1? Fortunately, though, the AFE Expressions do work. But, I'd like to make M 8.1 look a little older. The skin details don't seem to work without the AFE attachment.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Thank you for that tutorial, davidtriune!

I'm sad that AFE's powerpose (and the subsequent morphs) don't seem to work with 8.1 at all. That's too bad because they breathed a lot of life into the face, and I don't think 8.1's "improved" expressions really do all that much at all.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited February 2021

You may find some info in the following thread:

HowTo: Create missing Genesis 8.1 Head skin maps from Genesis 8/3 skin maps

Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited February 2021

By the way, using the trick of deleting the dummy expression folders in "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D" turns AFE PowerPose on for 8.1!

Post edited by Leonides02 on

I'm using the PowerPose without the AFE shell. That works for me. I'm on a Macintosh, so is there maybe a difference between the Mac and the Windows versions?

Leonides02 said:

By the way, using the trick of deleting the dummy expression folders in "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D" turns AFE PowerPose on for 8.1!

But might this be dangerous? Could those folders perhaps be needed in a future update? 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,534

inquire said:

Leonides02 said:

But might this be dangerous? Could those folders perhaps be needed in a future update? 

In that case the installation would add the folders back, like all the installers do when needing folders that do not yet exist 

So there is absolutely no danger in deleting these dummy folders? Just asking. I'm not at all an expert in computers. I don't want to do anything I would later regret. And no one seems to be able to get in touch with D-Master, so we don't know if he'll do any kind of an update, right?

inquire said:

I'm using the PowerPose without the AFE shell. That works for me. I'm on a Macintosh, so is there maybe a difference between the Mac and the Windows versions?

Perhaps. When I tested, the PowerPose (i.e. the additional wrinkles with ALL expressions) didn't work. 

Once I removed the folders, they're back.

I just removed the folders to a different location. I can easily put them back if necessary. So far the only ramifications have been that I can use AFE PowerPose and all my G8 expressions!

inquire said:

So there is absolutely no danger in deleting these dummy folders? Just asking. I'm not at all an expert in computers. I don't want to do anything I would later regret. And no one seems to be able to get in touch with D-Master, so we don't know if he'll do any kind of an update, right?

If you are in doubt, use 7-zip to compress the files inside the folders and leave the compressed (.7z) file in there, then delete the dummy expression files inside the folders - This way you can always restore the files back from the compressed (.7z) archive.

I don't know what is meant by "dummy folders." I was expecting empty folders. Is that not it? When I went and looked, I did see files inside each of the folders. And just above, someone is mentioning compressing the files. So, I don't know which dummy folders are being referenced. Is it all of the folders inside "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D" ? Is it all of the folders inside of the Morphs/Daz 3D folders? Please see screen shot. And will that in any way mess up working with Female 8_1?

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 12.54.03 PM.png
    237 x 170 - 17K

The "Base Pose Head" and "Expressions", the files in those two folders are just placeholders. If you open them up in Notepad++ you can see that there is no action inside them.

Er, no, I don't think so. Check first screen shot. Inside the Base Pose Head there are all kinds of files. More than are shown in this second screen shot. Rergarding the Expressions folder, the third screen shot shows all of the files there.

Location.png
    278 x 235 - 23K
    Base Pose Head.png
    583 x 1051 - 277K
    Expressions.png
    250 x 477 - 60K

Yes, there is 255 files in "Base Pose Head" which are all placeholder files and 24 files in "Expressions" also placeholder files.

@PerttiA OK, thank you. As I said before, I am not at all knowledgable about the organization of the computer nor of DAZ Studio. So, does this mean that I could remove those two folders, even temporarily, or Zip the files within those folders, and that would bring back the functioning of all of the expressions?

inquire said:

@PerttiA OK, thank you. As I said before, I am not at all knowledgable about the organization of the computer nor of DAZ Studio. So, does this mean that I could remove those two folders, even temporarily, or Zip the files within those folders, and that would bring back the functioning of all of the expressions?

Yes 

@PerttiA Thank you. I appreciate the help. I'm going to check this out. If, for some reason, it doesn't work, I'll post again. I guess I should quit DAZ Studio before I try anything like this.