Auto Face Enhancer [Commercial]

Comments

• DMasterDMaster Posts: 410

Leonides02

AFE geometry is designed for G8F SUBDIVISION-0 work OK with G8F SUBDIVISION-1 that is all. Don't push it.

No point of using AFE mesh if you are working with G8F SUB-3 or SUB-4.

You trying to get the wrinkle in SUB-4 on a Genesis 8 Figure. No wrinkle or any morphs were set up on G8F HD figure. The Wrinkle is on the AFE.

AFE follow G8F. G8F cannot follow AFE.

I have setup AFE to follow G8F HD expression. So, if your G8F is in SUB-0 the AFE will still show the HD expressions when you dial it in.

You also have the expression Morphs and the Power Pose to play with. It does not need the AFE.

Yes. when the AFE is removed you will not be able to see the enhancement and the forehead wrinkles. Is was designed this way.

AFE was designed for the animator to enhance facial expression in real-time. Turning on SUB-4 on G8F will make it difficult to see the animated facial expression on the timeline.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited August 2019
    DMaster said:

Leonides02

AFE geometry is designed for G8F SUBDIVISION-0 work OK with G8F SUBDIVISION-1 that is all. Don't push it.

I'm sorry, but this isn't well explained at all in your product.

Who the heck uses  SUB-D 0 in their renders? Nobody doing serious work uses Sub-D 0. Heck, one of Daz's major draws is the level of detail in the characters. That's why they sell HD add-ons. Your product doesn't work with the main reason we use Daz Studio. Most importantly, that isn't explained on the product page.

There should be a big warning that says, "YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE HD MORPHS OR DETAILS WITH THIS PRODUCT."

DMaster said:

No point of using AFE mesh if you are working with G8F SUB-3 or SUB-4.

Except, there should be. Essentially this product is trading HD details for better expressions. But I suspect the majority of users want and expected to have both. The expressions are undeniably better with AFE. Why didn't you make them compatible with HD? What is this product even for, then? I'm confused. Why should I trade the HD details on my face / body for better expressions?

I don't think that was expected to be a drawback to what you promised.

DMaster said:

You trying to get the wrinkle in SUB-4 on a Genesis 8 Figure. No wrinkle or any morphs were set up on G8F HD figure. The Wrinkle is on the AFE.

AFE follow G8F. G8F cannot follow AFE.

I have setup AFE to follow G8F HD expression. So, if your G8F is in SUB-0 the AFE will still show the HD expressions when you dial it in.

This is extremely disappointing, DMaster. I think you've made a major misstep. I suspect we were all hoping to have better expressions with our HD characters. 

DMaster said:

You also have the expression Morphs and the Power Pose to play with. It does not need the AFE.

As far as I can tell, these don't really do anything the regular expressions / Power Pose doesn't do.

DMaster said:

Yes. when the AFE is removed you will not be able to see the enhancement and the forehead wrinkles. Is was designed this way.

AFE was designed for the animator to enhance facial expression in real-time. Turning on SUB-4 on G8F will make it difficult to see the animated facial expression on the timeline.

I thought it was designed to ENCHANCE FACES, which is the name of the product. That is what it seems to want to do, but there is a strange limitation that in order to enchance the faces we must reduce the bodies to the base mesh.

I'm sad.

P.S. On Sub-D one, the teeth of DAZ characters look absolutely atrocious. 

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • Sadly, I must concur. It's clear there has been a miscommunication issue, because my expectations for the product were to have the capability of greatly enhancing a character's expressivity regardless of the subdivision level, rather than being forced to have a low-resolution character whenever I want to have realistic facial wrinkles. Now that you've clarified the intended purpose as an optimizing tool for animations, its use is far removed from my own needs as a still artist, as portraits and close-ups where the details this adds can be appreciated will invariably require a character that's not low resolution. It's disappointing, as I eagerly waited for this and bought it on day one, but if I can't use it and there are no plans to solve the artifacts issue, I will just return it. A shame.

Uthgard and Leonides02

You do have over 28 expression Morphs and the Power Pose to play with. That alone is worth more than the purchased price.

Working with HD or sub-D-4 character. The HD detail wrinkles are a specific shape per character. A universal HD additive morphs will be overlapping will the original HD mesh. Example. Each HD characters have a specific fold or wrinkle area. A universal wrinkle fold will add on top of the HD. this will distort the details Of original HD character. 

If you have Mabel HD load her up render out your HD at subd-4 without AFE. 

Next. Load up AFE and render Mabel HD out at subd-1.

Note the time it takes to render in each setting. Note the comparison in the render quality. Note the preview refesh rate when you setting up your character.

Yes. It will be a shame if I cannot convince you of the benefits in Auto Face Enhancer.

Thank you.

• I have just run a couple of tests. With the Hagred figure at render subd 4, it took me two minutes and one second to run a render to completion, while using AFE with the figure at render subd1 took me one minute and 41 seconds. The difference is appreciated, though the fact of the matter is that the renders are nowhere near the same, and if I wanted to use Hagred I would never sacrifice the detail lost when using the geograft. Another test with a figure by Mousso showed only four seconds of difference (on a render of around one minute with subd2--far less demanding). This time, the loss of detail was almost negligible, but If I had wanted to add some degree of customization with an HD morph (like a vascularity or muscularity set) I would have, once again, had to forego the AFE.

The truth is, I would not have bought this for the expressions alone, as I have a lot of them already and these are a bit too exaggerated for my tastes. The powerpose addition is certainly impressive and may prove to be quite useful in future endeavors, so it is a definite plus, but what I wanted from this product--and what I felt I was promised, as the limitations and the optimization oriented part of it aren't even mentioned in the store page and only surfaced in the forum after the release--were the HD enhancements to any kind of expression and character. You have now told us that this is a pipe dream and not possible from a technical standpoint. Very well. I will ponder what to do with this new information.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I was expecting that the high-poly expressions were part of the G8F mesh not as a separate shell but other than that I am happy with the product.

Uthgard

I Understand. I plan to have an add on to AFE. An HD version.

This is when you can push the AFE to the next level. So when you set you G8F to Sub-3 (not 4) the AFE will be in Sub-6

The detail on the AFE will be...as you say will be supper sick...Not Yet Set in motion. But plan to have some testing.

It takes about 3 days to create 1 single facial morphs. Good HD may take about 4 to 6 days. 

I will start this as soon as the Male AFE is finished.

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596

I think this product is awesome. Though I see the side of the crtics. The description is terrible. No where does it say this product is for animators. Which in my case, this is way in my wheel house. Also being a still renderer, I can see the shock this does not work with true HD renders.  Daz needs to correct the description. This is not for doing HD renders. And for  doing animation.  I'm eager to see your add on, @DMaster I just hope it won't cost an Arm or a Leg! LOL!  Or should I say a Eye and a Nose? ! LOL!  EVen so,  Good Work!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850
    DMaster said:

Uthgard

This is when you can push the AFE to the next level. So when you set you G8F to Sub-3 (not 4) the AFE will be in Sub-6

The detail on the AFE will be...as you say will be supper sick...Not Yet Set in motion. But plan to have some testing.

It takes about 3 days to create 1 single facial morphs. Good HD may take about 4 to 6 days. 

That will be awesome to have, thanks for considering this add on.

edited August 2019
    DMaster said:

Uthgard

Well, I guess I'll be looking forward to that, although that is what I thought I was buying the first time. I want to support your work, DMaster, but I have to admit this leaves a sour taste because the screenshots looked so awesome.

In the meanwhile, can you ask DAZ to update the description of your product? I don't believe this was your intention, but describing the product without mentioning the severe limitation that you need to render at the base mesh is very misleading. 

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • I am glad to hear that decision. I'll wait to see what you produce at the time.

• EBF2003EBF2003 Posts: 28
    edited August 2019

I am loving this product! Thank you DMaster!!

arhh

Post edited by EBF2003 on

Here is the 1st test for AFE HD at Sub D 4.

I was able to get really good 3D skin textures. This is for the G8Male. Thanks to Josh at Daz3d I was able to add the Lips to AFE. 

AFE 1st test HD at SubD 4.jpg
    1260 x 1128 - 614K

No normal or bump maps on the image above.

DMaster said:

I was able to get really good 3D skin textures. This is for the G8Male. Thanks to Josh at Daz3d I was able to add the Lips to AFE. 

Now we're talking!!!!!! laugh yes

Thanks for continuing to work on this, DMaster. 

Wow, awesome!

• asdf123asdf123 Posts: 167

So I've been following the instructions in this thread and I'm running into a really bizare outcome. Anytime I use Auto Face Enhancer on the Aurora character, her face becomes much darker than the rest of her body after I paste my surfaces back onto her. It's like the Auto Face Enhancer mask is darkening the skin tone dramatically. Anyone else come across this issue? Any solve?

• ForceXForceX Posts: 52

I love this plugin. It makes creating more detailed face sculpts in Zbrush easy without requiring the user to have the HD tools from Daz.

I was actually working on something similar, instead of just the face it was going to be a complete body HD replacement. Of course this would break all morph assets.

newoski said:

So I've been following the instructions in this thread and I'm running into a really bizare outcome. Anytime I use Auto Face Enhancer on the Aurora character, her face becomes much darker than the rest of her body after I paste my surfaces back onto her. It's like the Auto Face Enhancer mask is darkening the skin tone dramatically. Anyone else come across this issue? Any solve?

Is she far away for the (0, 0, 0) origin in your scene?

• asdf123asdf123 Posts: 167
    edited August 2019
    newoski said:

Is she far away for the (0, 0, 0) origin in your scene?

I don't believe I've moved her much if at all

Post edited by asdf123 on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    DMaster said:

So the upcoming AFE for the G8 Male will work with Sub D, all the way to Sub D 4? That's great, if that's what you're saying.

Yes. G8M will have Sub D 4 on AFE. Way more detail on the face area. Taking some Zbrush head model and I was able to get the detail to look the same.  Daz3d can handle the mesh-like Sub D4.

When that is done I will head back to AFE G8F to give it Sud D 4 too.

newoski said:

Just try out Aurora. Mat looks good. Apply that same mat to G8F and AFE to make both geometries to have the same material setting.

1- load up G8f and Aurora. 2- apply all the materials 3-save materials (all) 4 load AFE on G8F 5 select AFEmesh and assign the material to AFE.

AFE demo 06.jpg
    1032 x 1029 - 449K
    DMaster said:

Yes. G8M will have Sub D 4 on AFE. Way more detail on the face area. Taking some Zbrush head model and I was able to get the detail to look the same.  Daz3d can handle the mesh-like Sub D4.

Very happy to hear this, DMaster. Your product is amazing, but I can't really use it until you implement the Sub D. 

Once that's done, this product will counted among my essentials!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    DMaster said:

And I'm thinking that if I chose a lower Sub D, like Sub D 2, it would still work. Is that correct?

inquire said:
    DMaster said:

And I'm thinking that if I chose a lower Sub D, like Sub D 2, it would still work. Is that correct?

Yes.

A quick test on G8F AFE HD detail.

Seeing the possibility for 1 HD working for all G8F characters.

AFE 2st test HD at SubD 4.jpg
    1044 x 1032 - 425K
    DMaster said:

Looking great. Now for the big question: Will this be a free update?

DMaster said:

YES

DMaster said:
    DMaster said:

YES

You are a prince among men!