Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 2013

@ Trish - Ok, thanks very much.

@ GussNemo mermaid010 - Thanks very much, your'e very kind.

@ TheSavage64 - I like the hour glass. I tried one once but it didn't turn out as good as that.

@ mermaid010 - Thanks very much.

Post edited by StuartB on
    edited December 1969

This is just a quick one I did and left to render overnight, took 12 hours.
    It's a Galaxy C5 plane from http://tf3dm.com. - They have some really nice free models.

The background is actually a landscape HDRI in bright sunlight, but when I
    loaded it in and moved it around it kind of looked like an explosion.
    Added a water plane and a radial light in the cockpit and some DOF, may be too much though.

Galaxy_C5.jpg
    900 x 593 - 298K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    This is just a quick one I did and left to render overnight, took 12 hours.
    It's a Galaxy C5 plane from http://tf3dm.com. - They have some really nice free models.

The background is actually a landscape HDRI in bright sunlight, but when I
    loaded it in and moved it around it kind of looked like an explosion.
    Added a water plane and a radial light in the cockpit and some DOF, may be too much though.

Great render, I like everything except the DOF, which as you seemed to know, was too much. Your aircraft as a result of the DOF looks like an Airfix model. So just claim that was your intention and I could not criticise anything.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - nice idea about the terraforming.

@StuartB4 - C5 looks good, very nice angle and cockpit light is an important detail. Backdrop goes fine as explosion, not so sure the water plane was necessary. Though David is right about the DOF, I rather see it as distortions caused by the heated atmosphere.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2013

Another snowy one from me, yet another Snow Maiden

Postworked to make it nicely pastel, just for David :coolsmirk:

In my Gallery as well http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/17600

snow_maiden_2a.jpg
    764 x 1010 - 458K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Well today is just not my day...I keep drilling holes through my terrains and can't get this to look right either.....I am going to have to learn to use Bryce better or stop with Darkside cause this going back and forth is giving my a headache.....my poor bug

It's a good start, but how are you doing the spots?
    Did you also download the C4D file? If you do that, you'll get the UV maps which you can then load into Bryce and apply to the model.
    LadyBugCotton.jpg
    700 x 500 - 311K
    edited December 1969

@Pam - very sweet looking lady, a bit frigid, perhaps. ;-P

@Dave - nicely done. I think you got the UV map better than me. In my version, the eyes somehow don't fit.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 2013

Dave: thanks ...no I did not DL that ..I tried and failed to texture it myself...I will get the maps ...Thankyou for telling me now I feel better...Trish
    Pam: she is Beautiful...would have been good for frozen contest

This is that Wheely Xmas freebie....don't know what I am going to do with him yet...I had to change the flavor of purple and added David and Horo's copper material..... from here http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-treppenhalle-set

wheely2.jpg
    564 x 456 - 110K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Trish - Wheely looks cool.

I couldn't resist doing David's video of a single interlocked Möbius strip. Though I used only 9 segments, not 11 because it was easier to calculate.

Moeb9-03os.jpg
    800 x 800 - 174K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2013

Dave: thanks ...no I did not DL that ..I tried and failed to texture it myself...I will get the maps ...Thankyou for telling me now I feel better...Trish
    Pam: she is Beautiful...would have been good for frozen contest

This is that Wheely Xmas freebie....don't know what I am going to do with him yet...I had to change the flavor of purple and added David and Horo's copper material..... from here http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-treppenhalle-set

Yes, he is awfully cute, even if I am also not certain what I can do with him. He does look good in purple. Needs some touches of teal, my fave colour combo, purple and teal. I am currently wearing a teal sweatshirt, with a an abstract design patch on the front in two shades of purple and white.

I quite drove himself insane once, when we were thinking on buying a new car, cos he asked what colour, and of course I said purple. He refused to have a purple car, even if we could have got the model we wnated in purple, so we ended up with a dark, almost teal, green one.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

ah all kinds of fine bryce renders.....I've kind of moved on from bryce, because I like my new renderer better for most general purposes...especially considering I just don't have the time for hours of rendering.

with an image like this taking mere minutes to render.....it's really hard to use anything else.

vcxv.25_.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by useroperator on
    edited December 2013

Pam: That's a good one about the car....I don't know what I will do with the wheely either but I am going to try to re-texture him some what...since you showed us how to do that...might as well put it to use...on a new thing besides Albert....

Horo: Thanks I like your object as well....

user.operator: so if it is not a Bryce render ....What is it??? Is the background a photo?? and good luck with your future art efforts...

Post edited by Trish on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@Trish,
    I'm not good at exploded car puzzles – if I'd made the car myself a) I'd know where each part went, and b) it probably wouldn't look like such a nice Rolls Royce as the pic did.

Ah well...

Oh on the islands I see Horo explained how to cut the top off flat. You could also do that with another object; a cube, sphere or another terrain, or lattice. If you use a terrain or a lattice you get a more natural looking irregular effect, just remember to put the same material on the negative lattice as you have on the original terrain (and make the original 'positive' in attributes,) then group and hey presto!

@Stuart,
    Hey, thanks very much for the link, I'll go take a look at that.

@Horo,
    This thread is watched by many? Really? Looks worriedly over shoulder – now that's scary!

@GussNemo,
    Yeah, the colour on the hypertextured plane that was reflecting the sky – plus some odd colour effects... was a bit strange, wasn't it? All that odd yellow and orange gave it a sort of psychadelic effect.

I do like that earthy looking pot on the column – looks like it could have been just unearthed on the isle of Santorini....

@Mermaid and Horo,
    No it's not you Horo, I too find the organisation (or lack thereof) inside DazStudio – plus the fact that you have to redo it all every time a new upgrade comes along makes for a complete nightmare. If only you could save the organising of content – like you can Bryce Presets, then we might have a change to actually learn how to use DS instead of constantly searching for something. All because of the blinking Poser Runtime! I hate 'runtime'!! grrr!

Puff puff... well that rant was enjoyable... lol.

@Stuart, love the mini.

@David, Oooh love the look of that new... thingie. I'll have to take a look at the tut when I have a mo.

@Bruce, Interesting shape you have there, I like the soft green material you put on it too.

@Stuart, Loved the plane with the orange background – you're right it looks like an explosion, and the water makes it look like the shimmer effect from all that heat, in fact I thought that's what it was at first.

@Pam, lovely colours you choose to work with – especially for this time of year. Beautiful.

@ user.operator, so what is that rendered in? C4D?

Okay, so here's what I've been up to all this time:
    Now this is just a screen capture from inside Wings3d, it's not ready for Bryce yet.
    I'm chuffed to bits with it so far though.
    I've made various textures before and modelled lots of things – UVing and texturing them as I go, and I've done intense rust, slightly scratched, and all things inbetween, but this is the first time I've made and designed my own scifi panels in PhotoShop, I've done a load of rivets before and scratches, and bits and bobs but nothing quite like this, and it's such a thrill to click on 'refresh' and to suddenly see your texture BANG! on the model. I'm talking about the wall behind the pipes, by the way. Lol!

MoonBaseInterior2.jpg
    929 x 673 - 120K
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much David, Horo and franontheedge.

@user.operator

with an image like this taking mere minutes to render…..it’s really hard to use anything else.

I'd be interested to know what you are rendering with too. Did you do a comparison with Bryce render time
    for the same image.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Another snowy one from me, yet another Snow Maiden

Postworked to make it nicely pastel, just for David :coolsmirk:

In my Gallery as well http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/17600

Nice! Her facial features remind me of someone. Ah, she reminds me of the Rap singer Mary J Blige. Here is a quick reference. Nice job.

User.operator
    Sadly, there are a lot of render engines out there that accomplish easily what we struggle to accomplish in Bryce. The biggest issue is the render speeds as you yourself have observed. I continue to use Bryce for most things trying to keep Bryce alive long enough with the hopes that eventually it will get what it needs to remain competitive, but it's hard and every single day Bryce users are moving on to other softwares and who could blame them? All bryce really needs is a good plug-in tot he right external render engine. There is little point re-inventing the wheel. trying to upgrade the bryce engine to compete with unbiased render engines is silly, why not just provide a good plug in? Either way, we have some harsh realities to face as a bryce community about how to go forward. We shall see.

mary_j_blige_wallpapers_17.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 218K
    edited December 1969

Yes Rashad, I see what you mean about the facial features.

Here's a couple of Bryce renders of more mobius shapes. I've been figuring out the numerical relationships between the number of sides and the number of segments - or trying to - and the angles involved. I'm nearly at the point where I can provide a general theory.

Single_mob_ring_8_9.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 280K
    Single_mob_ring_5_12br.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 240K
    edited December 2013

@user.operator nice image backdrop. Should be higher res for such a large render. Such a render finishes in Bryce well under one minute in this size.

@Mermaid and Horo,
    No it's not you Horo, I too find the organisation (or lack thereof) inside DazStudio – plus the fact that you have to redo it all every time a new upgrade comes along makes for a complete nightmare. If only you could save the organising of content – like you can Bryce Presets, then we might have a change to actually learn how to use DS instead of constantly searching for something. All because of the blinking Poser Runtime! I hate 'runtime'!! grrr!

In fact, you can. I've installed things 4 times up to now and really got fed up with this. So I have a folder MyContent and installed the content in there, not in the Studio folder. I can access all stuff from Studio 2.3 (which I use from Bryce 5.5), Studio 3 (which I use from Bryce 6.1/6.3) and Studio 4.6 (which I use for Bryce 7.1). One content folder serves for all Studio versions. This whole folder can be transferred over the network to the other computers and I have matched content on all machines. I did install on a network drive and pointed all Studios on all machines on that one but it takes too long to get the model and I abandoned that idea. What maddens me is how the content is littered all over sub-sub-sub-sub-folders mostly without any logic at all. There is no concept and even though many PAs have asked several times, DAZ refuses to decide on a strict policy where content has to be installed. So every PA does it how he/she thinks it is best. At least stuff for Poser is still properly organised and that's the only stuff I regularly find - not the DS stuff, which is a huge mess.

@Rashad - yes, Pam's Snow maiden render does have a resemblance to MJB.

That Bryce has a slower renderer engine than others is a Myth. I haven't seen any comparison with equally elaborate scenes yet. Maya guys complain it is too slow, C4D guys complain it is too slow, Studio renders too slow, Vue is too slow, Arnold needs huge computer banks to render, Octane needs huge GPU banks. Everybody complains rendering takes too long. Shadow rays need time, transparencies with refraction needs time, Radiosity/TA/IBL all add up. You'll be surprised what shortcuts are taken, even post motion blur is used to cover IBL shadow banding. And a painter has his artwork also finished in two minutes ... The only really bad thing about Bryce is that it is still a 32-bit application and cannot even bleed to the HD.

@David - shapes look great.

Post edited by Horo on
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PREVIEW OF A FREEBIE MODEL IN THE MAKING

I decided it was time I got back to trying to build my freebie models again. Since Bryce is all about landscapes and often terrains of other worlds, my first project is going to be a lunar type manned rover.

So far I have only gotten the wheel / tire designed for the rover. But felt I would post it here to give folks an idea of the project to come.

The wheel / tire is strictly made in Bryce from primitives using positive and negative attributes and then adding textures prior to grouping and then making a Boolean mesh of the unit.

Have a great day.

Bruce

Rover_Wheel_Preview.jpg
    869 x 706 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Still not figured out the link between the cross section sides, the number of segments and the distribution of "webs". But consistent results seems to be possible for all combinations of odd and evens. So these are 7,12 and 6,9

If my maths was stronger maybe the answer would leap out at me, but at the moment I'm still just figuring this out by trial and error.

Models made in Wings3D.

www.wings3d.com - free subdivision modeler.

Single_mob_ring_6_9.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 270K
    Single_mob_ring_7_12.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 266K
    edited December 1969

One of the advantages of the Bryce render engine over say Octane - which is undoubtedly very good - is that Bryce, being not constrained by the need to be photo-realistic, can be used to create special effects without much difficultly that would be very difficult to replicate in Octane (I know I've tried).

P52_db_eg5.jpg
    654 x 850 - 324K
    P52_db_eg4.jpg
    654 x 850 - 316K
    P52_db_eg3.jpg
    654 x 850 - 466K
    P52_db_eg2.jpg
    654 x 850 - 304K
    P52_db_eg1.jpg
    654 x 850 - 316K
    edited December 1969

Another selection of hyper-texture driven materials that would be hard to create in anything other than Bryce.

P52_db_eg10.jpg
    654 x 850 - 279K
    P52_db_eg9.jpg
    654 x 850 - 315K
    P52_db_eg8.jpg
    654 x 850 - 303K
    P52_db_eg7.jpg
    654 x 850 - 421K
    P52_db_eg6.jpg
    654 x 850 - 320K
    edited December 2013

David: I like your examples...How are the render times on these???
    Bruce: I am so glad you are making models again....

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - good start.

@David - looking good, thanks for the stuff, I've put up mine.

Obviously, I didn't do what I set out to when I got up this morning. I was sidetracked by those single Möbius thingies and couldn't stop. A series from 9 to 25 segments resulted. No success with the 7 segment one because selecting the faces in the centre is nearly impossible. Rendered with IBL quality 256, soft shadows and 64 rpp with normal priority in 10 minutes.

Moebis.jpg
    800 x 533 - 57K
    edited December 1969

David: I like your examples...How are the render times on these???

Trish, well, between 2 minutes and 20 minutes depending. It's not the effects themselves so much as wanting to take advantage of the higher quality results offered by premium effects.

Horo, a nice selection. I'm still working on how to explain using any number of sides and sections... It is a puzzle.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Bruce: Your planet scene is interesting. Tire is also really nice.

@Stuart: Plane scene is awesome. I do agree about the DOF being a bit to strong. Still, neat scene.

@Pam: Lovely image.

@Dave: Really like your latest ladybug scene. Plants are great.

@Trish: So that's how Wheely looks. Cute little bugger.

@Horo: Objects look way cool.

@David: Your results run from cool to very colorful. Love the material on the last group.

@user.operator: Neat scene. A bit dark for my tastes, but still neat looking.

@franontheedge: Thank you. You've got a nice start on that model. Hope we get to see the finished product.

After company went home, daughter, SIL and granddaughter, finally had time to give David's latest Wings object a try. The two yellowish/orange ones are of each side.

Continuous_Cube_Morbius_Loop_1.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Continuous_Cube_Morbius_Loop_5.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Continuous_Cube_Morbius_Loop_4.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Continuous_Cube_Morbius_Loop_3.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Continuous_Cube_Morbius_Loop_2.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - nice moebiussess, I like the first one best.

edited December 1969

Thanks very much GussNemo.

edited December 2013

adbc...... I tried to PM you go to your Christmas card entry and put a title on it...read the last post Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Back to trucks... Another one from Poser and materials Brycified.

Two different paint jobs on this one.

TankerFancyBlue.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 197K
    TankerBlue.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 184K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you for the kind words.

@Dave: Real nice work on the semis.

Created more objects using Hexagon in the hopes of using them in my next scene. When importing one of the objects it stopped looking like the vase I created and started looking like a drinking glass. So I treated it like a glass drinking glass and found glass material work well when applied. The others are a few more pots that will find their rightful places.

Wide_Mouth_Vase_12.png
    750 x 750 - 279K
    Wide_Mouth_Vase_6.png
    750 x 750 - 522K
    Squat_Wide_Mouth_Pot_w_Handles_1.png
    750 x 750 - 966K
    Squat_Wide_Mouth_Pot_11.png
    750 x 750 - 848K
    Squat_Wide_Mouth_Pot_3.png
    750 x 750 - 921K
This discussion has been closed.