My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited November 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...well ran diagnostics, then a disk cleanup late in the evening, and defragging overnight.  A little improvement however some graphics still load slowly which loaded quickly beforehand. 

Sticky disk bits?

...nah more like fragments of bits all over the drive.  The issue with images doesn't happen offline when I load ones that are saved on my system, only from the Net, so the gunk might be somewhere in the line. May have to call the dataline Roto Rooter™ man.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited November 2019

Regarding trash...  Landlord has provided two big trash cans (garbage and recyclables) for the house.  I have two small bags of garbage per week (one if I actually squeeze it into a single bag), that gets lost in the depths when I drop it into an empty bin, and one bag of (washed) cans and glass about every three weeks.  However my neighbors in the other 2/3rds of the house fill both tcans to overflowing every week.

Right now I've solved most of my transport issues except for prescriptions.  I can't get the $#@@@#$ smartphone app from the drugstore to connect to the final page to get them to my prescriptions send by postal mail so every couple of weeks I have to wrangle some way to get to the drug store.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

...good i was a little worried there as you mentioned you used to do your own rubbish drops. Bad that the neighbours fill them up so quick. 

For myself I usually have only one small bag of trash a week, as Oregon has a pretty comprehensive recycling plan.  I actually have a larger volume for recycle than trash.  For food waste I have a closed container I keep in the freezer which I empty into the trash bag before taking it out that way it doesn't smell the place up.  The nice part is that I don't have to go outside as we have a large recycling room on each floor that also has a trash chute which empties into a large mobile compactor off to the side of the enclosed car park on the ground floor.  We also have two pickups a week. 

Oregon also has a return bottle measure which places a deposit (10¢) on most drink bottles and cans, including plastic ones which can add up.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...well ran diagnostics, then a disk cleanup late in the evening, and defragging overnight.  A little improvement however some graphics still load slowly which loaded quickly beforehand. 

Sticky disk bits?

...nah more like fragments of bits all over the drive.  The issue with images doesn't happen offline when I load ones that are saved on my system, only from the Net, so the gunk might be somewhere in the line. May have to call the dataline Roto Rooter™ man.

stiction smiley

• kyoto kid said:

Sticky disk bits?

There's something much more fundamental going wrong on his system.  I'm sure of it.  If diags, cleanups, and defrags don't fix it, then it's BROKE.  I'd suggest he re-install Windows if I thought it would fix his problems.

...the issue with loading images is only occurs when online. As I mentioned, opening an image stored on the system itself is fine.

There was a recent update of Chrome as I notice a few things look and work a bit differently (unfortunately unlike with FF I am unable to find where to turn off auto updates in Chrome's settings or how to roll back to the previous version).

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,170
    kyoto kid said:

...the issue with loading images is only occurs when online. As I mentioned, opening an image stored on the system itself is fine.

There was a recent update of Chrome as I notice a few things look and work a bit differently (unfortunately unlike with FF I am unable to find where to turn off auto updates in Chrome's settings or how to roll back to the previous version).

What's your version number of Chrome?  I have: Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)  If this is what you have, then it's probably not Chrome itself, it could be a driver issue.  Or something else.  Unless it's a Windows 7 issue.

Dana

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    kyoto kid said:

...good i was a little worried there as you mentioned you used to do your own rubbish drops. Bad that the neighbours fill them up so quick. 

For myself I usually have only one small bag of trash a week, as Oregon has a pretty comprehensive recycling plan.  I actually have a larger volume for recycle than trash.  For food waste I have a closed container I keep in the freezer which I empty into the trash bag before taking it out that way it doesn't smell the place up.  The nice part is that I don't have to go outside as we have a large recycling room on each floor that also has a trash chute which empties into a large mobile compactor off to the side of the enclosed car park on the ground floor.  We also have two pickups a week. 

Oregon also has a return bottle measure which places a deposit (10¢) on most drink bottles and cans, including plastic ones which can add up.

I'm chief officer in charge of recycling here... as I'm the only one who knows what is recyclable and what's not and got tired of taking stuff out of the recycling bin that doesn't belong... now I just have everyone dump the things they think are recyclable into a bin and I sort them into the outside bins... not that I blame my family, because our recycling rules are stupid... most of the stuff could be recycled, but the town or county doesn't except certain things... like pizza boxes aren't considered recyclable and milk carton type materials are also not taken...

We have six people living in this house and we get several deliveries of boxes each week from Amazon or some online purchase (that I'm not accepting blame for, I rarely purchase anything online)... here we alternate between metal-glass-plastic and paper-cardboard each week... my bins are 45 or 50 gallons and the paper-cardboard one is filled every time... I break down and cut up the boxes to make them fit too, but most of the space is taken up by shipping box cardboard... a 45-50 gallon bin of cardboard isn't light either, so sometimes I use a spare bin if it's too heavy for the trash guys (the recycling is manually handled here)... 

I find that all disturbing, because amongst people we know, we are probably the ones that rely least on deliveries... and I try and recycle everything.

I can't help but wonder how much additional cardboard is being used by shipping and how much cardboard most people discard in the regular trash because it's to much trouble to break down the box or cut it up... not to mention how many people don't bother at all or how many places nationwide probably either don't have a recycling program or don't really enforce any rules.

Most recycling systems are not very efficient as they are very specific and have antiquated (or dumb and lazy) sorting capabilities... and even if everyone recycled everything they are currently allowed, there is still vast amounts of trash that just doesn't apply... leaving it to humans is useless.

I'm positive that at some point there will have to be a revolution in recycling where some company will make billions with sophisticated trash mining equipment... it's really the sorting/separating that's the main problem and realistically nobody is interested in it because it's not wildly profitable at the moment. The question is how much damage will be done before it's "worth it".

• I do a lot of composting too. I get fantastic soil for the garden.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Cardboard boxes  are something I really hate to see going into recycling.  It used to be that you could flatten the large ones by simply slitting the packaging tape top and bottm and put the out in bundles for collection.   Anyone who needed empty boxes, especially those of a size useful for moving house, could go the the recycling depot and pay a small fee to get these.   Have you seen how much they charge for packing cases?

And our council now gives instructions that boxes should be cut up to fit in the bins provided, but you can ask for extra bins,  Do they not realise how difficult it is for some people to cut up boxes? I am sometimes very uncharitable and wish for those who make the rules to suffer from arthritis in the near future, and then maybe understand and go back to collecting bundles of large boxes which have been simply flattened.

edited November 2019

Amazon is now using less boxes and more flat padded packages.  So, they're using less recyclable material and putting yet more plastic into the ground.  But it saves on postage. frown  Actually I like the "saves on postage" part as well as the "get it to you in 24 or 48 hours" philosophy and the "if it's wrong you can send it back for free" policy.  But it still somehow bothers me.  But I don't think I'll live to see the "we send it in 10 minutes by Star Trek transporter, right to your living room" policy.indecision

McGyver said:
    kyoto kid said:

because our recycling rules are stupid... most of the stuff could be recycled, but the town or county doesn't except certain things... like pizza boxes aren't considered recyclable and milk carton type materials are also not taken...

Pizza boxes are not taken because they are not recyclable.  Grease on the box makes it a problem.  I used to put them in the recycling until I found this out.  The boxes go into a big batch and are processed.  If there is grease, it breaks down the process, making the whole batch unrecyclable.  Other boxes and bags with grease on them is the same problem.  If Diane brings home a bag from McDonald's, and there's a grease spot on it, I cut around it with scissors and put the good portion of the bag into the recycling bin.  Food stains in general are a problem.  Most food stains on boxes or bags is grease of some sort.  As for milk cartons, those have coatings which also ruin the batch.  I think there's an unrecyclable plastic involved.

Dana

Amazon is now using less boxes and more flat padded packages.  So, they're using less recyclable material and putting yet more plastic into the ground.  But it saves on postage. frown  Actually I like the "saves on postage" part as well as the "get it to you in 24 or 48 hours" philosophy and the "if it's wrong you can send it back for free" policy.  But it still somehow bothers me.  But I don't think I'll live to see the "we send it in 10 minutes by Star Trek transporter, right to your living room" policy.indecision

What about the "we send it with a drone right to your front step...unless it's raining, or snowing, or too windy, or you live on the 35th floor of a high rise building" policy?

Dana

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

But I don't think I'll live to see the "we send it in 10 minutes by Star Trek transporter, right to your living room" policy.indecision

Ten minutes?! But I want it now!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    DanaTA said:
    McGyver said:
    kyoto kid said:

because our recycling rules are stupid... most of the stuff could be recycled, but the town or county doesn't except certain things... like pizza boxes aren't considered recyclable and milk carton type materials are also not taken...

Pizza boxes are not taken because they are not recyclable.  Grease on the box makes it a problem.  I used to put them in the recycling until I found this out.  The boxes go into a big batch and are processed.  If there is grease, it breaks down the process, making the whole batch unrecyclable.  Other boxes and bags with grease on them is the same problem.  If Diane brings home a bag from McDonald's, and there's a grease spot on it, I cut around it with scissors and put the good portion of the bag into the recycling bin.  Food stains in general are a problem.  Most food stains on boxes or bags is grease of some sort.  As for milk cartons, those have coatings which also ruin the batch.  I think there's an unrecyclable plastic involved.

Dana

If by milk cartons you mean the TetraPack ones,  then they are recyclable, but the council/company collecting the recycling does need to have the special equipment needed to recycle them.

tee hee.  

Rodents by AM Squirrels of Eastern Hemisphere

is a whole 60F outside

dunno if 60 too low to go for a walk with wet hair, deecisions

posting thread titles in all caps seems rude to me

• Gordig said:

But I don't think I'll live to see the "we send it in 10 minutes by Star Trek transporter, right to your living room" policy.indecision

Ten minutes?! But I want it now!!

Their replicators are slow.  

DanaTA said:
    kyoto kid said:

What's your version number of Chrome?  I have: Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)  If this is what you have, then it's probably not Chrome itself, it could be a driver issue.  Or something else.  Unless it's a Windows 7 issue.

Dana

...same version.  I never had this matter with the older versions. I have the latest Nvidia driver for my GPU and rendering or loading images from the system itself is as fast as it's always been so that shouldn't be the issue.

Again today loading any email or site that has graphics (including threads here) is annoyingly slow. 

If it's an OS issue it must be some sort of conflict with something in the new version of Chrome because I haven't experienced this before.  Again I wish I could defer auto updates like I could on FF and roll back to an older version.

I do a lot of composting too. I get fantastic soil for the garden.

...there is compost collection here in Portland however apparently not if you live in a multi unit apartment building so I have to toss food scraps in the regular rubbish.  As I mentioned I use a container with a tight lid which I put food scraps in and then place in freezer door to keep them from smelling up the flat and possibly attracting unwanted "guests."

edited November 2019

...I prefer the brown boxes as I can break them down and put them in the corrugated bin. They also are a bit more "crush proof" which can be important when ordering electronics or other delicate items.  

I don't shop at Amazon (personal reasons), but those flat packs I see being delivered usually end up in landfills for decades, and as the plastic slowly breaks down, it ends up as tiny beads which leach into the groundwater which in turn flows to rivers streams and lakes. Plastic pollution is becoming a serious worldwide matter, not just here.

edited November 2019
    Mystarra said:

°is a whole 60F outside

dunno if 60 too low to go for a walk with wet hair, deecisions

...41° with water from the sky and windy here, definitely not a good day to go out with either wet or dry hair (or wear a hat). 

wasnt so bad. didnt turn into icicles

ole ngel bennet, yunno you atchin canadian tv when nigel shows up as an episode guest or semi regular
    first saw him on forver knight  le kraa

kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    kyoto kid said:

Dana

...same version.  I never had this matter with the older versions. I have the latest Nvidia driver for my GPU and rendering or loading images from the system itself is as fast as it's always been so that shouldn't be the issue.

Again today loading any email or site that has graphics (including threads here) is annoyingly slow. 

If it's an OS issue it must be some sort of conflict with something in the new version of Chrome because I haven't experienced this before.  Again I wish I could defer auto updates like I could on FF and roll back to an older version.

I'm wondering if your Internet provider is throttling your speed, or doing something with heavy sites.  I've read that some may start doing that.

Dana

edited November 2019

...I checked the connection parameters and saw no drop off from my end.  When I was experiencing a slowdown earlier today, it was also raining quite heavily, and now that it stopped, things seem to have returned to normal again.  However precipitation is usually only a factor with a direct satellite link.

If your provider is throttling certain site, or types of sites, that wouldn't show up in a test of the regualr throughput.  I find it unlikely to be the OS.  Maybe LG would have a better idea.

Dana

edited November 2019
    DanaTA said:

If your provider is throttling certain site, or types of sites, that wouldn't show up in a test of the regualr throughput.  I find it unlikely to be the OS.  Maybe LG would have a better idea.

Dana

Although I know it's possible and was being done in some organizations when I left the industry, I haven't kept up with current state of the art or policy.  We (network management gurus) on a well instrumented system can measure all sorts of flow details and patterns.  (eg: I knew which users were watching p*** and when.  And which branch of an organization was cumulatively wasting the most time on non-business related links.  From Washington, DC I knew when doors in a NYC skyscraper were opening & closing.  If it was wanted to be known and were given the money and authorization we could do it.  Wonderful tools even 20 years ago.  And "yes", throttling was being used, it was new but it was a thing.

And as to what and how networking works on home computers where Microsoft has thrown their wrench into the works, see my previous kvetch.angry

DanaTA said:

Dana

...PM sent.

kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

...PM sent.

Got it and replied.

Dana

This discussion has been closed.