My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited November 2019

Many unbirthdays to me.smiley  

Love that clip.  But you likely have to be over 60 to recognize the voice of the Mad Hatter.  (Ed Wynn, (father of Keenan Wynn), if you even remember who HE was)  And the voice of the March Hare is, I believe, Jerry Colonna.  (If you even have any idea who HE was.)  Ah, so many famous old voices in that short movie.  Verna Felton, Sterling Holloway, Richard Hayden

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    McGyver said:

Edwin Hubble was a pipe smoking astronomer with a curiosity for extragalactic nebulas who died in 1953 and has since then ceased and desisted the recording of photons, while his current underground residence is currently unknown, he is most likely engaged in his new hobby of decomposition.

...same year I was born.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited November 2019
    kyoto kid said:
    McGyver said:

Edwin Hubble was a pipe smoking astronomer with a curiosity for extragalactic nebulas who died in 1953 and has since then ceased and desisted the recording of photons, while his current underground residence is currently unknown, he is most likely engaged in his new hobby of decomposition.

...same year I was born.

That's awfully suspicious...

Nobody actually knows where (or if) he's buried, as there was no funeral held for him and his wife never revealed his burial site... I'm not accusing you of being an eternal who keeps faking their own death so nobody gets suspicious, but I find the way you often mention radial velocity, redshift, spatial curvature and your gold medal from the Royal Astronomical Society to be somewhat suspicious... For example, recently you wrote-

"...relatively nice day today (for November here) sunny and mild, mid - upper 50s.  Took a walk to the market to get more organic gold medal polish for my gold medal I received from the Royal Astronomical Society in 1940..."

"..ugh, site sent flaky again, got a Cloudflare time out and crash while entering the previous post... This is as frustrating as when I informed the American Association for the Advancement of Science that results from my six-year survey with the Mt. Wilson telescope did not support the expanding universe theory."

"...Wasn't able to use the PC+ DO coupon in time though thanks to all the other coupon deals I kept getting (can't stack coupons like you could with the old vouchers). Have to wait until next month to renew... the same way I fake my death and renew my identity every 63 - 90 years or so...”

"...wouldn't mind a bit of the "Youth Morph" from Zev0's Growing Up Morphs dialed in on me... just kidding, I'm immortal..."

I didn't mean to blow your cover, but I'm guessing it's probably annoying and boring after a while to keep changing identities and moving on to new cities and occupations... eventually you just want someone to figure it out so you can just have the same identity for a while and not have to buy a whole new wardrobe and barrels of fake mustaches again and again.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited November 2019

Complaint:  I ordered one thing, just one thing and I got it wrong. blush  My oldest useful computer works just fine except for the noisy case exhaust fan.  Not rattly, just too whirry.  Whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  So I look at it, and even measure it and come up with 80mm for a measurement.  So, I trek off to Amazon, look up "quiet computer fan 80mm" find one for $10 and order it.  Zip, zoom, in 48 hours Prime has delivered it.  I rush (well, as much as I can manage a "rush" these days) to the postoffice before it closes at noon on Saturday and pick up my prize.  Thirty minutes later I have my computer on the operating table with screws and implements of construction laying around me and discover that the 3-pin plug of the old fan doesn't want to let go of the motherboard.frown  Thirty more minutes, and five more implements of construction dug out of my toolbox in the effort to reach into the inaccessable space where the plug is, and I finally have the old fan unplugged and in my hand (and didn't tear the socket from the motherboard in the process).yes  Gleefully I open the box of my new whisper quiet fan and line up one of the mounting holes and screw in the screw.  Then I try to line up the next hole and it doesn't fit.  None of the other holes match.surprise  OMG, I've ordered the wrong size fan.sad  So, I measure the old fan again and realize that I had measured the distance between holes, not the dimension of an edge of the fan.  I should have ordered a 90mm (aka: 92mm) fan.  Arghhhhhh.

Thankfully, having ordered from Amazon and being a member of Amazon Prime, I was able to get authorization to return the incorrect fan within 2 minutes and at no cost to me.  I just have to drop it off at a UPS store.  I then in three minutes ordered the correct size fan and it is scheduled to be here on Monday.  Yay!  Perhaps someday I'll have my computer whirr-less.smiley

What worries me is that that is a newbie mistake.blush  I knew better at one time.  Senility is creeping up on me.frown  Now my problem is how do I get to a UPS store before the return authorization expires.sad 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

The Noisy Computer Complaint Thread

i dont understand how spinach can be high in vitamin A cuz is not orange

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2019

The best sources of vitamin A are:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified breakfast cereals.
    • Fortified skim milk.
    • Orange and yellow vegetables and fruits.
    • Other sources of beta-carotene such as broccoli, spinach, and most dark green, leafy vegetables.

You have to remember that neither Orange nor Green is a Primary colour.  To get Green you mix Yellow and Blue   and to get Orange you mix Yellow and Red.  So both Orange and Green contain yellow.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Does one say/write "a UPS store" or is it "an UPS store"?  Kudos for the best answer.

Does one say/write "a UPS store" or is it "an UPS store"?  Kudos for the best answer.

It's actually easier to say an UPS store

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited November 2019
    Chohole said:

Does one say/write "a UPS store" or is it "an UPS store"?  Kudos for the best answer.

It's actually easier to say an UPS store

I find an easier, using a long a for a - unless I pronounce UPS oops. Saying the letters individually, the first is "yew" which isn't really a leading vowel.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

When my friend was a kid, he used to insist it was the "Ups man" or the "Ups truck"... it took a long time to realize that's what he was saying.

I'd say "a U-P-S store" but I suppose if one were to pronounce it "ups", it would be "an ups store"... 

edited November 2019

Kudos to everybody who implied "it depends".  It's not the type of the first letter (vowel or consonant) of the word that follows the "a" or "an", it's the sound, the vocalization, of the beginning of the next word (whether spoken or thought or implied to be spoken) that determines  "a" or "an".  I think this is an amazing  aspect of a hard language.  (or an amazing aspect of an 'ard language if you don't pronounce the 'h')smiley  We do it so naturally that we never think about it until we see it written and our mind mentally "hears" the beginning sound of the next word in a way not intended by the writer, and alarm bells go off in the brain.

You can pick up your Kudo at the Kudo store.  Just show your ID card.devil

McGyver said:
    kyoto kid said:
    McGyver said:

...same year I was born.

That's awfully suspicious...

Nobody actually knows where (or if) he's buried, as there was no funeral held for him and his wife never revealed his burial site... I'm not accusing you of being an eternal who keeps faking their own death so nobody gets suspicious, but I find the way you often mention radial velocity, redshift, spatial curvature and your gold medal from the Royal Astronomical Society to be somewhat suspicious... For example, recently you wrote-

"...relatively nice day today (for November here) sunny and mild, mid - upper 50s.  Took a walk to the market to get more organic gold medal polish for my gold medal I received from the Royal Astronomical Society in 1940..."

"..ugh, site sent flaky again, got a Cloudflare time out and crash while entering the previous post... This is as frustrating as when I informed the American Association for the Advancement of Science that results from my six-year survey with the Mt. Wilson telescope did not support the expanding universe theory."

"...Wasn't able to use the PC+ DO coupon in time though thanks to all the other coupon deals I kept getting (can't stack coupons like you could with the old vouchers). Have to wait until next month to renew... the same way I fake my death and renew my identity every 63 - 90 years or so...”

"...wouldn't mind a bit of the "Youth Morph" from Zev0's Growing Up Morphs dialed in on me... just kidding, I'm immortal..."

I didn't mean to blow your cover, but I'm guessing it's probably annoying and boring after a while to keep changing identities and moving on to new cities and occupations... eventually you just want someone to figure it out so you can just have the same identity for a while and not have to buy a whole new wardrobe and barrels of fake mustaches again and again.

...egads, I've been found out.  I knew I shouldn't have even minored in astronomy in college and just took courses in it to satisfy science electives (though I really needed to stay up to date of the latest developments). I thought I could throw anyone suspicious off track by majoring in music and art instead.  However, I guess I may have tipped my hand back when my primary school teachers caught on that I was spending my noon hours at the local library (from which I'd check out astronomy and physics books from the adult section) rather than on the playground with the other kids.  I'm sure they sent agents out who saw me spending countless nights in the back yard with my telescope. 

I will say that *ahem* telescope they put in orbit has certainly has been yielding some amazing views, even outdoes the ones at Mt. Wilson and Palomar.

edited November 2019

And now for something completely different:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRe1dsXs6_s  Mily Balikirev:  "Song of the Volga Boatmen" (barge haulers).  Listen to the bass singer. surprise  Peek at the painting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ilia_Efimovich_Repin_(1844-1930)_-_Volga_Boatmen_(1870-1873).jpg yes

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,170

Remembering my grammar lessons of years ago (many, many, years ago), you are speaking of the store.  UPS is a modifier, telling which type of store, however you are speaking of the store.  So, drop out the modifier, and how would it be said?  You would drop off something to a store.  So, you would drop off something to a UPS store.

Dana

...ugh everything seems to suddenly began running in slo mo again.  Chrome in particular to be choking on loading graphics as it appears to be doing so line by line, and at times not completely loading a page (but no timeout errors or anything like that pop up).. Cleared browser cache shut it down and opened it again but the issue persists.  Like the issues with the Install manager, this has only been occurring recently.

Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.
    • Other sources of beta-carotene such as broccoli, spinach, and most dark green, leafy vegetables.

You have to remember that neither Orange nor Green is a Primary colour.  To get Green you mix Yellow and Blue   and to get Orange you mix Yellow and Red.  So both Orange and Green contain yellow.

yellow is the vit A?  ohh

i read eating too much betacarotene can turn skin orange

stoopid webp.  

Regency for Genesis 2 M

condused on the difference between victorian and regency

can regency be steam punk

a steampunk christmas twould be fun

Mystarra said:
    Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.

yellow is the vit A?  ohh

i read eating too much betacarotene can turn skin orange

Adding orange to blue gives a darker green colour.   And you would need to eat a lot of carrots to make your skin change colour    about 10 carrots a day, every day for a fortnight before you get a pale yellow hue.  So imagine how much more you need to make the yellow turn to orange.

that is a lot of carrots.  and peas. cuz carrots need peas.

• kyoto kid said:

...I don't get mine until the 3rd of each month. So by the end of the month I'm usually broke.  Given holidays next week and in December won't be doing anything special.

They must have also changed the algorithm for the Megabucks Lotto in the last year or so as it's been nearly a year's dry spell (not even a free play for the next draw by matching 3 numbers).  In the past I would usually match 4 numbers every couple months which is 35$ - 50$ (or with the 1$ multiplier 140$ - 200$).

Playing the lottery is like paying a voluntary tax.  And getting nothing in return.

Unbelievable:  While perusing the Amazon Prime TV menus I ran across free access to a James Bond movie that I haven't ever seen! surprise  50 years and I've never seen, nor ever heard of, "The Living Daylights".  With Timothy Dalton as James Bond.  It's like stumbling across a 65 year old episode of "I Love Lucy" episode that I'd never seen (which happened about a year ago).  Small oddities of life.indecision

You should make sure you've seen all episodes of Green Acres and My Mother the Car, too.

carrie58 said:

Complaint : Cannot figure out how I have a mealy bug infestion on my indoor pothos plants it's making me nuts !1

You brought nature indoors and you're surprised when nature is indoors?

Put another way:  Pothos = Apartment house for mealy bugs and other bugs.

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

?

dunno why i haz pm questions on site 505 errors

is there a thread i could direct them to?

The problem seems to have been solved  and the Clodflare errors were mentioned in several threads, Easy to find them.

I guess I'm a bit late to the "clodflare" party.  cheeky

kyoto kid said:

..curmudgeon time:

OK, when I installed the latest version of Blender, afterwards I couldn't pull Chrome back up from the taskbar. I had to close it out (through Windows Task manager) and then restart it.  When I did all I got was this "sliver" of a window on the desktop screen that only showed part of the top menu/tab bar. Talk about stupid software.

Your Windows ME may finally be showing its age.

Complaint:  Now that I have four spirited and useful computers (again) I've been trying to get them all networked together.  One is Win7-Pro, One is Win10-Pro, the other two are Win10-Home.  I hate Microsoft network tools! angry  At one time (a lifetime ago) I was a networking expert.  People paid me big bucks to fly across the country and fix their networking problems on big UNIX installations and corporate and government networks.  But then Microsoft decided to stir their scrambled nuts and bolts into the  networking machinery and it all went to hexx.  Grrrr....   I have NEVER been able to get all my Microsoft machines in my home since the year 1998 to work together properly in all directions.  There's always a booger somewhere in the flow.  Today it's my Win10 laptop that absolutely refuses to be found on the network by the other machines, yet it can reach out to the other machines and pull in files. I've pried into every networking corner I can think of and checked and double checked share settings and firewalls, and access permissions, till I'm hairless (which didn't take long).  I give up.sad  Time to watch some mind numbing TV.

Only you can be the one to say it's time to stop.wink

Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.

So the world isn't RGB?  I guess Adobe lied to us again.  wink

edited November 2019

@ Subtropic-pixel  watching all episodes of "My Mother the Car" is no lengthy challenge.  The same can be said of most any show that Jerry VanDyke is in.devil

...well ran diagnostics, then a disk cleanup late in the evening, and defragging overnight.  A little improvement however some graphics still load slowly which loaded quickly beforehand. 

• kyoto kid said:

...well ran diagnostics, then a disk cleanup late in the evening, and defragging overnight.  A little improvement however some graphics still load slowly which loaded quickly beforehand. 

Sticky disk bits?

edited November 2019

Non-complaint:  Yay!  I finally have a whirrr-less computer.  New case fan arrived and I was able to install it without trouble.  Ah, quietude.smiley

Complaint:  Walking again to the postoffice after only two days recovery time for my feet was not what I wanted to do today.  Ouch.sad  There's a reason I only go out a'walkin' twice a week.frown @KK,  I'm getting visits from "Uncle Arthur" too.  Knees, feet, wrists, neck.

edited November 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...I don't get mine until the 3rd of each month. So by the end of the month I'm usually broke.  Given holidays next week and in December won't be doing anything special.

They must have also changed the algorithm for the Megabucks Lotto in the last year or so as it's been nearly a year's dry spell (not even a free play for the next draw by matching 3 numbers).  In the past I would usually match 4 numbers every couple months which is 35$ - 50$ (or with the 1$ multiplier 140$ - 200$).

Playing the lottery is like paying a voluntary tax.  And getting nothing in return.

Unbelievable:  While perusing the Amazon Prime TV menus I ran across free access to a James Bond movie that I haven't ever seen! surprise  50 years and I've never seen, nor ever heard of, "The Living Daylights".  With Timothy Dalton as James Bond.  It's like stumbling across a 65 year old episode of "I Love Lucy" episode that I'd never seen (which happened about a year ago).  Small oddities of life.indecision

You should make sure you've seen all episodes of Green Acres and My Mother the Car, too.

carrie58 said:

Complaint : Cannot figure out how I have a mealy bug infestion on my indoor pothos plants it's making me nuts !1

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

?

The problem seems to have been solved  and the Clodflare errors were mentioned in several threads, Easy to find them.

kyoto kid said:

..curmudgeon time:

OK, when I installed the latest version of Blender, afterwards I couldn't pull Chrome back up from the taskbar. I had to close it out (through Windows Task manager) and then restart it.  When I did all I got was this "sliver" of a window on the desktop screen that only showed part of the top menu/tab bar. Talk about stupid software.

Complaint:  Now that I have four spirited and useful computers (again) I've been trying to get them all networked together.  One is Win7-Pro, One is Win10-Pro, the other two are Win10-Home.  I hate Microsoft network tools! angry  At one time (a lifetime ago) I was a networking expert.  People paid me big bucks to fly across the country and fix their networking problems on big UNIX installations and corporate and government networks.  But then Microsoft decided to stir their scrambled nuts and bolts into the  networking machinery and it all went to hexx.  Grrrr....   I have NEVER been able to get all my Microsoft machines in my home since the year 1998 to work together properly in all directions.  There's always a booger somewhere in the flow.  Today it's my Win10 laptop that absolutely refuses to be found on the network by the other machines, yet it can reach out to the other machines and pull in files. I've pried into every networking corner I can think of and checked and double checked share settings and firewalls, and access permissions, till I'm hairless (which didn't take long).  I give up.sad  Time to watch some mind numbing TV.

Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.

Printers use CYMK       Cyan Yellow Magenta and Key (black)

Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:
    kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

?

kyoto kid said:

..curmudgeon time:

Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.

In photography, specifically darkroom printing, those are considered Subtractive colors.  Oddly, when you add them together in ink, you get other colors.  Maybe somebody needs to study basic math again.   laugh

Dana

DanaTA said:
    Chohole said:
    kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

?

kyoto kid said:

..curmudgeon time:

Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.

In photography, specifically darkroom printing, those are considered Subtractive colors.  Oddly, when you add them together in ink, you get other colors.  Maybe somebody needs to study basic math again.   laugh

Dana

https://99designs.co.uk/blog/tips/correct-file-formats-rgb-and-cmyk/

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

I think I am confused.  I do not know what time I work tomorrow.  all I know is that I work tomorrow.

Chohole said:
    DanaTA said:
    Chohole said:
    kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

?

kyoto kid said:

..curmudgeon time:

Chohole said:

• Cod liver oil.
    • Eggs.
    • Fortified skim milk.

Dana

https://99designs.co.uk/blog/tips/correct-file-formats-rgb-and-cmyk/

I am familiar with these things.  It was kind of a joke.  I used CMYK filters in the darkroom to make my color enlargements.  They were considered subtractive, because they subtracted a Primary color from the white light that was coming from the bulb in the enlarger.  The more you subtracted, the darker the image.  You then determined how much exposure was needed to make a reasonable print.  The point of my joke was that you currently use inks in your printer named Cyan, Magenta and Yellow and Black, and the printer adds subtractive color inks together to make the primary colors.

Dana

Non-complaint:  Yay!  I finally have a whirrr-less computer.  New case fan arrived and I was able to install it without trouble.  Ah, quietude.smiley

Complaint:  Walking again to the postoffice after only two days recovery time for my feet was not what I wanted to do today.  Ouch.sad  There's a reason I only go out a'walkin' twice a week.frown @KK,  I'm getting visits from "Uncle Arthur" too.  Knees, feet, wrists, neck.

...yeah my oldest system still surprisingly whisper quiet, even with the additional fans I installed.

As to ol' Uncle Arthur, same here, and as the weather keeps degrading it gets worse. We are due for lows in the low 20s later this week (too early for that), but fortunately the white stuff has been taken out of the forecast.  You may want to stock up on supplies as saw there are two storms heading towards in your region One over the holidays and another right behind it that will have high winds, and on the backside, the ebil frozen water from the sky. 

BTW without a car, how are you handling trash removal? 

This discussion has been closed.